PDA

View Full Version : Higher racehorse fatality rate in US

horses4courses
03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
I may be re-hashing a previous thread, but I just saw this article on recent studies of equine fatalities in horse racing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/sports/24racing.html

Not that this study will prove anything, it does, however, tell me one thing.
Synthetics will never help racing in this country.
I say this because US racing, being geared towards early speed, is better suited to a dirt surface.

That style of racing, not the surface, takes a heavier toll on horses here.
Don't expect any change in racing style to just to protect the horses. Hell no.

When millions were spent, mainly in California, on synthetic surfaces, the authorities responsible for their introduction should have realized that these new surfaces, while appearing safer, would accomplish little with regard to safety. The only way to protect the horse would be to impose a speed limit for the opening quarter, and half miles. For example, 23 and 46 seconds in sprints, 24 and 48 in routes. How absurd would that be?

Let's face it. Synthetics cannot help racing in the US.
Time to tear them up.

Run 'em hard, and put 'em away wet.

Igeteven
03-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I may be re-hashing a previous thread, but I just saw this article on recent studies of equine fatalities in horse racing:

I say this because US racing, being geared towards early speed, is better suited to a dirt surface.

When millions were spent, mainly in California, on synthetic surfaces, the authorities responsible for their introduction should have realized that these new surfaces, while appearing safer, would accomplish little with regard to safety. The only way to protect the horse would be to impose a speed limit for the opening quarter, and half miles. For example, 23 and 46 seconds in sprints, 24 and 48 in routes. How absurd would that be?

Time to tear them up.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

gm10
03-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Time to tear them up.

BS. Why spend money on something that (worst cast scenario) isn't harming the horses? Why not spend that money and energy on cleaning up the game?

Hanover1
03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
BS. Why spend money on something that (worst cast scenario) isn't harming the horses? Why not spend that money and energy on cleaning up the game?
Try giving some back to the patrons..........

Foolish Pleasure
03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
At worst it isn't harming the horses? That to where we at now eurotout?

I thought that they were supposed to be OBVIOUSLY not debatable:

1)safer

2)all weather

3)promote larger fields

and now we are down to it isn't harming the horses -so what's the problem?
They inhaling synthetic carpet fibers-why don't you go run a mile while inhaling synthetic carpet fibers and come back and tell us how it went.

A joke-

someone went out of their way to tell you exact detail exactly what was going on and exactly what would happen, something about they could run on feathers and eventually the trainers will figure out exactly how unsound a horse they could around the track which would result in no improvement.

yet eurodonk tout stuck to the earth is flat.

what is it going to take donkey? your POS surfaces do nothing but enable lesser sound horses to compete-

that sounds to me like it is harming the sound horses? -it not taking spots away from what otherwise would be sound horses?

Europe can't provide detailed PP's but they can provide detailed breakdown stats back to the stone age-yea right.

horses4courses
03-24-2010, 04:05 PM
At worst it isn't harming the horses? That to where we at now eurotout?

I thought that they were supposed to be OBVIOUSLY not debatable:

1)safer

2)all weather

3)promote larger fields

and now we are down to it isn't harming the horses -so what's the problem?
They inhaling synthetic carpet fibers-why don't you go run a mile while inhaling synthetic carpet fibers and come back and tell us how it went.

A joke-

someone went out of their way to tell you exact detail exactly what was going on and exactly what would happen, something about they could run on feathers and eventually the trainers will figure out exactly how unsound a horse they could around the track which would result in no improvement.

yet eurodonk tout stuck to the earth is flat.

what is it going to take donkey? your POS surfaces do nothing but enable lesser sound horses to compete-

that sounds to me like it is harming the sound horses? -it not taking spots away from what otherwise would be sound horses?

Europe can't provide detailed PP's but they can provide detailed breakdown stats back to the stone age-yea right.

Problem Foolish?