PDA

View Full Version : Turf Handicapping

Tex9Down
03-24-2010, 03:26 AM
What book would you recommend for handicapping Turf races? I'll be at Colonial Downs for a few weekends this summer and they run 80% Turf races. Thanks for any advice......

rispa
03-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Figure Handicapping - James Quinn. Read Part Five - Figure Handicapping on the Turf.

Handicapping Magic - Michael Pizzolla - Chapter Nine.

Something to get you started before you develop your own approach.

Best of Luck.

Tom
03-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Figure Handicapping - James Quinn. Read Part Five - Figure Handicapping on the Turf.

Handicapping Magic - Michael Pizzolla - Chapter Nine.

Something to get you started before you develop your own approach.

Best of Luck.

Agree!
These two - especially Quinn - turned around my turf game.
I was NEVER hitting turf races before, now I am looking for them everyday.

I simplified it a bit - I use one turf chart, not one for each track, and 100= either 24,30,or 36 seconds instead of the Clf Alw pars. Works just fine and is much easier. I have a set up in the BRIS PP generator to show the horse's fractions and that makes it a snap.

cees with dees
03-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't know of any books but one ultra significant angle when dealing with the grass: horses that show speed and tire on dirt usually transfer quite well and the price is almost always juicy.
Good luck to you,
Ben

Overlay
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
What about Bill Heller's Go for the Green from the Daily Racing Form series of handicapping titles?

Trotman
03-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Right on Tom I agree Quinns book put me on course and
over the years with a little tinkering here and there love betting the grass. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
03-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Handicapping Magic changed my fortunes on the lawn as I discovered and exploited the turf form window.

It is all about closing and turfers do not have form cycles the same as dirt horses.

delayjf
03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
These two - especially Quinn - turned around my turf game.

I grew to love turf racing using sartin sustained pace. But, I discoverd that given equal sustained velocity of late pace velocity - to prefer the horse coming out of the longer race. Improving late pace can tip off an upcoming big performance on the turf.

RichieP
03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Calibration Handicapping (Jim Lehane) has a good outlined process for the grass :ThmbUp:

Tex9Down
03-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, I ordered Quinn's book and it's on the way.