PDA

View Full Version : The man to watch out for -- He's no lefty

andicap
07-11-2003, 11:45 AM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/bw-cong/2003/jul/11/071106411.html

I don't agree with him on every position, but he's his man, doesn't look at the polls for every position he takes and gave kids health insureance in Vermont.
Although I was ambivelant on Bill Clinton, Dean is the anti-Clinton: doesn't pander, has a strong sense of family (his wife is also a doctor and has not taken part in the campaign because she's an independent women in her own right.), and truly cares about the common man. And fiscally, he's no "tax and spend" Democrat. LIke I said, some of his positions are bit too conservative, but the man has a backbone, unlike the rest of the weasly Democrats in the race. (Lieberman also some courage as well, but I don't think his personality could win a national election -- ever hear him speaik? )

Lots of people will object to his signing the gay union bill, but remember,
this did NOT legalize gay marriages (which I'm not against, but I recognize many are), just gave gay unions more legal rights. i also believe there was a court decision up there prior to the bill passing which a Vermonter might be able to help me on.

I don't think a liberal can beat Bush and Dean may have positioned himself in some ways as a liberal early in the c ampaign, but this was just primary
politics -- everyone does this. Didn't Bush call himself a "compassionable
conservative?"

Dean isn't perfect, but you have to support someone and I think he has our best interests at heart.

andicap
07-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Here's a story with more on Dean's views...

http://www.theunionleader.com/prez_show.html?article=23505

JustRalph
07-11-2003, 11:55 AM
My wifes family is from Vermont. I have been hearing how he ruined Vermont for the last ten years. He is not well liked by the old School Vermonters (families that have been there for generations) who blame him for selling the state to "East Coast Liberals" and my in laws are not exactly right wingers.

He is what he is. An unabashed Liberal who is out of touch with the rest of the country. I suggest anybody who saw him on Meet The Press would caution the Band wagon to hold off a while.

:cool:

andicap
07-11-2003, 12:41 PM
No offense Ralph, but I never really thought I could sway you....I mean George W. Bush is a little too much to the left for you. You can't please everyone -- people voted against Lincoln and FDR.

:p

Lefty
07-11-2003, 01:27 PM
On meet the press he sputtered and equivicated. He's Clinton without the "clever gene" He has to keep apoligizing to his opponents for rash things he says about them and when called on it he says he's sorry then says that isn't an apology.
He says we need more troops in Iraq but asked how many are there now, he sputters, he doesn't know.
You have to vote for someone so I guess it might as well be.....
BUSH!

JustRalph
07-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by andicap
No offense Ralph, but I never really thought I could sway you....I mean George W. Bush is a little too much to the left for you. You can't please everyone -- people voted against Lincoln and FDR. :p

Andi..... your right. You can't sway me. I was wondering if you would like to name some names on who you were trying to sway? :D

I was wondering Just how far to the right do you think I am? You might be surprised if we could get to know each other a little better. There are some right wing idea's that I think are so stupid it hurts. But then again you are correct on Bush. He needs a nudge to the right. He wants to play both sides. He is starting to act more like a politician. I fear that could be he his biggest mistake. Whenever a President gets into the last half of a term they always do this. They are trying to get re-elected and they are also listening to a gaggle of "Advisors" and whatever comes out in the wash is usually watered down so much it undermines their credibility with their base. Clinton's version of this theory was Welfare Reform. He was against it for the first part of his term and in the summer of 96 he went along per his advisors etc. He hated the idea and everybody knew it. Oh well, enough of this crap. I have to go to work. That is a new phrase for me.

Have a good weekend Andi.

Tom
07-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Dean running against Bush is a conservative's dream!
HeHeHe.
Can you say "McGovern?"

Bobby
07-11-2003, 09:18 PM
hillary is really the democrats only hope--thats in 2008. i think people will vote for her. hell, they're buying her book. can you imagine Bill back in the White House? I liked it when he was president. They're was never a dull moment: Monica, Paula, Gennifer, travelgate, fbi filegate, whitewater, etc. . He was the ultimate politician. He could lie and most would believe him. And the best thing about him is that through all of his scandals, people liked him. He always had high approval ratings. Anyway, if hillary can move to the right a tad over the next 4 years, i think she'll win, if she runs, in 2008.

Tom
07-12-2003, 11:59 AM
You are supposed to take ALL the pills in those little bottles, not just some of them ;)