PDA

View Full Version : Racial remark in N.J. Wal-Mart

cj's dad
03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
over the PA system no less !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl9PAJBuAcI

The act has been attributed to a 16 year old who is being charged with a "bias" crime.

PhantomOnTour
03-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Not sure this is a crime. The law shouldn't punish him...his folks should just whip his ass real good.

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Ordinarily, I'd agree that this hardly constitutes a crime. If the kid had stood in a public forum and said something ridiculous, I'd call him an idiot that simply said something stupid.

But when he enters a place of business and potentially affects that business adversely within the confines of their business, using their public address system to essentially misrepresent himself as a spokesperson of that business, I think there may be a reason to consider his conduct criminal.

Tom
03-23-2010, 12:42 PM
What is he had said Go Obama! Pass that bill!

Dave Schwartz
03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
We live in an age when people find it so easy to be outraged by such small things.

Was this wrong? Sure.
Should the guy be vilified for this? Of course.

But let's put the blame where it should be placed: on the guy making the comment, not the store. It's not like the store had a sign up that said, "Here is a loudspeaker for anyone who'd like to make racial comments to use."

According to the report, some people said they won't be shopping at Wal-mart any more. Right. They're going to shop the competition and that will really show THEM.

IMHO, there are far better things to be outraged about. In comparison, this incident is a joke.

DJofSD
03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Hire the PR firm used by Denny's.

Tom
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
It's not like the store had a sign up that said, "Here is a loudspeaker for anyone who'd like to make racial comments to use."

I do believe Wal Mart's policy is that all racial comments are to made using the digital message boards at each register.

JustRalph
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
disorderly conduct at best. tacking on some kind of "bias crime" or "hate crime" designation is bullshit......in every case. There are no such things as hate crimes. There are crimes, elements of crimes and that's it.

New Jersey Statute

Disorderly conduct
2C:33-2. Disorderly conduct

a. Improper behavior. A person is guilty of a petty disorderly persons offense, if with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof he

(1) Engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior; or

(2) Creates a hazardous or physically dangerous condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.

b. Offensive language. A person is guilty of a petty disorderly persons offense if, in a public place, and with purpose to offend the sensibilities of a hearer or in reckless disregard of the probability of so doing, he addresses unreasonably loud and offensively coarse or abusive language, given the circumstances of the person present and the setting of the utterance, to any person present.

"Public" means affecting or likely to affect persons in a place to which the public or a substantial group has access; among the places included are highways, transport facilities, schools, prisons, apartment houses, places of business or amusement, or any neighborhood.

L.1978, c. 95, s. 2C:33-2, eff. Sept. 1, 1979.

rastajenk
03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Hate crimes are the stuff of those enlightened European nations and their wannabees, like Canadia. We don't need that crap here.

Tom
03-23-2010, 02:04 PM
"You shot my paw!"
"But I didn't hate him."
"Bless you!"

Nonsense.

46zilzal
03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Hate crimes are the stuff of those enlightened European nations and their wannabees, like Canada. We don't need that crap here.
Too late as there are now federal laws..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime_laws_in_the_United_States

Tom
03-23-2010, 02:54 PM
There is a lot of stuff in laws that we don't need.

Marshall Bennett
03-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Did they all leave ?

Steve 'StatMan'
03-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Sure wasn't nice of that teen, if he wanted to play a joke, could have chosen something different to say.

Given this is Walmart, if that teen had said "...All wierd looking people: please exit the store immediately." I wonder if nearly everyone in the store would have left, or if nobody at all would have left (what, I look fine, whatsamtter, never seen a butt crack before?)

Steve 'StatMan'
03-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Actually, I think there are a lot of stores with phones to the intercom on the floor, some you need to enter a code for it. I wonder why pranks/bad acts don't happen more often, since the public is pretty much unpredictable.

illinoisbred
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Hey Steve, have you noticed through the years at Arlington how often Art Vandelay (George Costanza's architect persona) is paged? I've heard many other Sienfeld characters also paged.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey Steve, have you noticed through the years at Arlington how often Art Vandelay (George Costanza's architect persona) is paged? I've heard many other Sienfeld characters also paged.

Oh man, that's great! LOL! I think a horse namee Art Vandelay raced there too.

cj's dad
03-23-2010, 09:23 PM
I remember a movie titled " White Men Can't Jump" :

Where was the outrage at that time ??

There wasn't any outrage because that was just plain funny.
So was the 16 year old's "prank" on Wal- Marts intercom !!

Can't we just have a laugh or two anymore ????? without everything being racial ????

How ' bout the Polish jokes back in the '70's ??? I endured many of those daily - maybe I should have filed a law suit against someone !!

ElKabong
03-23-2010, 09:27 PM
What a dumbass thing to say. No racial slurs, doesn't seem to be hateful, but very inappropriate. I think if this were a mom n pop store, and any of us were owners, we'd fire the guy. He insulted customers, intentional or not.

Like the dad from That 70s show said..."Dumbass"!!

cj's dad
03-23-2010, 09:38 PM
What a dumbass thing to say. No racial slurs, doesn't seem to be hateful, but very inappropriate. I think if this were a mom n pop store, and any of us were owners, we'd fire the guy. He insulted customers, intentional or not.

Like the dad from That 70s show said..."Dumbass"!!

I'll try to remember to elevate my posts to your level of comprehension from this point forward.

BTW- the word comprehension is defined as"understanding"

And you're right, Wal-Mart is a mom and pop store :lol::lol: and as such the manager has total control over every employee giving out the PA code to another. It was a joke man - GET IT !!!!

ElKabong
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
cjd,

Not sure why you're upset at my post. Had nothing to do with you.

Like I said, if this were a mom n pop shop, the kid woulda been fired. If he had make a stupid comment like that abour senior citizens, same thing. You just don't say inappropriate nonsense like that.

ElKabong
03-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Ah, you think I was replying to your latest post. (my guess anyways) Well, that's not the case. My reply was to the video.

cj's dad
03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Ah, you think I was replying to your latest post. (my guess anyways) Well, that's not the case. My reply was to the video.

Thought you were replying to my post which obviously I think was on target !!

ElKabong
03-23-2010, 11:19 PM
No sweat, hoss. All's fine.

PhantomOnTour
03-24-2010, 12:44 AM
The kid actually worked at Wal Mart? I thought he was a prankster customer...you're fired dude.

PaceAdvantage
03-24-2010, 03:14 AM
He didn't work at Wal-Mart.

What is the race of this individual? If this kid were black, and he said all white people should leave the store, would he have also been arrested?

Or would he have been scolded and then later excused for his actions, labeled a troubled youth who was simply "acting out?"

I wonder.

The arrest troubles me. Not excusing what he said or did, but to be arrested for that based on the content of his message? And he WAS arrested based on the content of the message, make no mistake.

Just a little bit scary in the land of supposed free speech, don't you agree?

Tom
03-24-2010, 07:27 AM
And a total waste of the police time and the court time to follow.
Total waste over nothing.

JustRalph
03-24-2010, 02:23 PM
And a total waste of the police time and the court time to follow.
Total waste over nothing.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

perfect point. They will waste thousands on this...........

DJofSD
04-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I see in the news there was a copy cat incident at a Whole Foods store. And, they arrested a 14 year old as the perp -- a girl.

NJ Stinks
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
The Wal-mart arrest was an embarrassment to my state. :mad: They said the kid did it before. Big deal. :sleeping:

A stern lecture from the police not to do it again and a few words to his parents about keeping the kid in line should have ended it. THEN if the kid does it again do something.

ddog
04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
He didn't work at Wal-Mart.

What is the race of this individual? If this kid were black, and he said all white people should leave the store, would he have also been arrested?

Or would he have been scolded and then later excused for his actions, labeled a troubled youth who was simply "acting out?"

I wonder.

The arrest troubles me. Not excusing what he said or did, but to be arrested for that based on the content of his message? And he WAS arrested based on the content of the message, make no mistake.

Just a little bit scary in the land of supposed free speech, don't you agree?

Well,i don't know if you can jump, but you certainly can spin.

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS, if i wander into your place of business and take over private property to broadcast a rant or whatever , you are not saying this is "protected speech", say you are not, PLUUEEZZZZZE!

People used to have a basic code that surpassed their political life, sad to say that is disappearing faster than your free speech.

Sloppy dude, the crime was committed when he hit the mike, what he said didn't matter a bit, even if he was arrested by a race conscious bigot.

bigmack
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
the crime was committed when he hit the mike, what he said didn't matter a bit, even if he was arrested by a race conscious bigot.
Tell us Don Pardo, cite the statute of the law broken when someone yaps in a mic? Any state'll do.

ddog
04-14-2010, 01:04 PM
did they let grade school out early today?

If you need any cite for this (and you really are serious) then that class you went through 30 years ago , you really need to go back.

How's about "inciting to ........... in a public place?.

Look it up bucky, it's in ALL the codes.

screwball.

As to the other race hustlers who couldn't wait to play their race-card b.s. - the "costs" are the best part of the deal.

The "costs" would be borne by the perp.

I would think min wage job as a Wally greeter to pay off the police time and the court costs should drive home a lesson in personal responsibility, something a few of the cons , yes even the neo-conned here used to celebrate from time to time.

Of course that's old school , went out of fashion some 30 years ago , about the time Big Hack finished his class.

You guys are somethin else.
:D

ddog
04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
big hack

on the off chance that you really were asking a serious question, there are ANY number of public order type LAWS on the books.

this is right in their sweet spot , even if he had said all whites or all infidels leave now-same law applies.

p.s. the hate crimes stuff is stupid-you either did or didn't commit an offense.
you may take into account motivations at sentence(maybe) but the crime was the crime - hate or not.

As any D.A will admit - "You show me the man I will give you the crime"!

ta-da.

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Well,i don't know if you can jump, but you certainly can spin.

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS, if i wander into your place of business and take over private property to broadcast a rant or whatever , you are not saying this is "protected speech", say you are not, PLUUEEZZZZZE!

People used to have a basic code that surpassed their political life, sad to say that is disappearing faster than your free speech.

Sloppy dude, the crime was committed when he hit the mike, what he said didn't matter a bit, even if he was arrested by a race conscious bigot.So, if he said they were giving away free money in Aisle 5, you also think he should/would have been arrested?

We're talking about a kid here...are we not? What was the age of this person again?

It's a far cry from an adult walking into an establishment and taking over the mic to "broadcast a rant."

This same kid says anything different over that mic, and no way is he arrested...my opinion of course...

bigmack
04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
If you need any cite for this (and you really are serious) then that class you went through 30 years ago , you really need to go back.
How's about "inciting to ........... in a public place?.
Let me get this straight, now it's inciting when prior to this you were squawkin' about it being a crime to pick-up the mic as you said here:

Sloppy dude, the crime was committed when he hit the mike, what he said didn't matter a bit

What's it gonna be flim flam man?

JustRalph
04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
here you go............. look it up

http://www.megalaw.com/nj/top/njcriminal.php

I am curious to what you find........

Just picking up the mic is not a crime...........

Depends on what he says and the reaction of those who hear the broadcast on whether it is a crime or not.

disorderly conduct or inducing panic (in some states) would be what would fit.......but it all depends on what he says and how the crowd reacts......

He could have picked up the mic and sang an opera and as long as it doesn't fit the criteria for a written statute.........he commits no crime.