PDA

View Full Version : Dubai World Cup

joanied
03-23-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=17901

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=17899

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=17903

http://www.brisnet.com/edgeped/DWCdeclarations.pdf (full fields with jockeys, weights, post postions ect)

Lots of reading in these 3 articles...but interesting...and since the DWC is just a few days away...may as well get some talk going on about the races...and I beleive I read that HRTV is carrying the entire card.

kevb
03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I guess TT is tongue tie, and B is blinkers. What do the other equipment abbreviations stand for?

joanied
03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I guess TT is tongue tie, and B is blinkers. What do the other equipment abbreviations stand for?

Man, I don't know...and did you ntoice that some of the B & TT's have a minus sign after them? What's that?
There are; V, CP, H, B2, CP- I have no clue and fired my brain trying to come up with somethin' :D ...

maybe some here know what those designations mean :confused: ...
hey guys...help:)

kevb
03-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I think TT- and B- are tongue tie off and blinkers off

Charlie D
03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Using racingpost info

V = Visor
CP = Cheekpieces
B = Blinkers

Symbol with 1 at side seems to indicate the equpment is being used for the first time. ie: B1 = Blinkers on for the first time.

Symbol with a minus symbol at the side seems to indicate equipment off from last run, so a B- would be Blinkers Off.

Contact Bris for info in my humble opinion

Ejmenz
03-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the find Joanied :)

kevb
03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I like tongue tie on, but I'm not sure how to handicap with Cheekstrap info. I found this:

Visor similar to blinkers in which one or both cowls have holes cut in them permitting limited side or rear vision.

Cheek Pieces means two strips of sheepskin or any other similar material or device which is attached to the cheek pieces of the bridle.

So there is still one equipment abbreviation that I don't know:

H

horses4courses
03-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Here are the latest odds in the UK on the upcoming Dubai races:

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/dubai-world-cup
Gio Ponti is a nice price at 6-1....that Tampa race should have him fit.

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/dubai-sheema-classic

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/dubai-duty-free

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/godolphin-mile

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/uae-derby

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/dubai-golden-shaheen

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/al-quoz-sprint

point given
03-23-2010, 11:17 PM
In years past, I played these races lightly, but now have very little interest in betting them. I just don't like poly for one and its tough to get a line on pps for the turfers. Anyone still play these races here in the US ? If so are you dabbling or seriously investing coin.

dansan
03-23-2010, 11:19 PM
will be able to wager at our otb site if so can bet day before

kevb
03-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I guess H is Hood.

Hood means a garment similar to blinkers, incorporating ear covers but without eye cowls.

Other than Wild Again and Gate Dancer, I don't think I've ever seen a horse win with ear covers. The hood might be more common in UK, AUS and Dubai racing though.

slew101
03-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Always enjoy the World Cup card, but always play real small. I will be playing against Gio Ponti, maybe with Richard's Kid.

If so are you dabbling or seriously investing coin.

Richie
03-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Anyone know where I can see the live video on the internet, I saw it last year, it was great. I just can't remember the site.

Thanks

horses4courses
03-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Anyone know where I can see the live video on the internet, I saw it last year, it was great. I just can't remember the site.

Thanks

I don't see a direct live video link yet, but this site is full of information:

http://dubairacenight.com/

Good luck!

gm10
03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
I was told it will be shown on Eurosport. Not sure who of you can view that but maybe it is helpful for some.

Tom
03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I think it is on TVG at 9am Saturday?

redshift1
03-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I think it is on TVG at 9am Saturday?

Do you remember what happened last year to the live TVG broadcast of the Dubai World Cup ..... oops

Horseplayersbet.com
03-24-2010, 03:54 PM
The live video of races from Dubai are available at Horseplayersbet.com, as well as special player rewards of 7% on WP, and 12% on all other wagers. Free replays are available too.

PhantomOnTour
03-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Several years ago I was watching a feed of the jocks' room at Nad Al Sheba on World Cup night on TVG and a totally nude Jerry Bailey strolled right in front of the camera....yewwwww!

One of my favorite horses, Youmzain, is back again for another shot in the Sheema (his 4th I think)...wish that ole boy well. He has a wonderful knack for hitting the board at great odds in some big time international races. See last years' Arc.

horses4courses
03-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I'd like to hear someone's thoughts sometime about being at the track in Dubai on a race day.........

Just can't imagine being at a track, and not being allowed to bet.

There must be plenty of people online there, firing away with the UK books, and US pari-mutuel pools, on those races....or maybe not?

Seems to me you could get locked up in a hurry for breaking the law there.

Hmmmmmm.... :confused:

Tom
03-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Do you remember what happened last year to the live TVG broadcast of the Dubai World Cup ..... oops

No, what?

redshift1
03-24-2010, 09:31 PM
No, what?

There was no live broadcast. TVG advertised their live TV coverage then instead aired repeats of non-racing horse/human interest stories. Finally after the fact TVG admitted they did not have the broadcast rights and were in-fact prohibited from televising the live broadcast. I believe there was a problem in 2008 as well but I can't say positively. That's why I remembered to DVR both TVG and HRTV just in case.

philofbelloni
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
There was no live broadcast. TVG advertised their live TV coverage then instead aired repeats of non-racing horse/human interest stories. Finally after the fact TVG admitted they did not have the broadcast rights and were in-fact prohibited from televising the live broadcast. I believe there was a problem in 2008 as well but I can't say positively. That's why I remembered to DVR both TVG and HRTV just in case.
I must be crazy because I recall watching/wagering on the first five races real-time before attending my 8-yr old son's floorhockey game. I bet the last two but watched via DVR. I don't recall any delay or noted issues.

redshift1
03-24-2010, 09:56 PM
I live in California maybe there's geographical restrictions. It was definitely blacked out in Southern California is HRTV broadcast in your area.

slew101
03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Wasn't that 2008? I recall being surprised TVG had no coverage that year and watched on the computer. I definitely recall watching last year's event on TVG. I don't get HRTV on directv.

redshift1
03-24-2010, 10:08 PM
I think there was a problem in 2008 that's why I DVR'd both channels in 2009 just in case.

toussaud
03-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Several years ago I was watching a feed of the jocks' room at Nad Al Sheba on World Cup night on TVG and a totally nude Jerry Bailey strolled right in front of the camera....yewwwww!

One of my favorite horses, Youmzain, is back again for another shot in the Sheema (his 4th I think)...wish that ole boy well. He has a wonderful knack for hitting the board at great odds in some big time international races. See last years' Arc.
youmzain has run 2nd in 3 consecutive Arcs

2007 to Dylan Thomas
2008 to Zarkava
2009 to Sea the stars

turfnsport
03-25-2010, 01:54 PM
I'd like to hear someone's thoughts sometime about being at the track in Dubai on a race day.........

There must be plenty of people online there, firing away with the UK books, and US pari-mutuel pools, on those races....or maybe not?

No, Dubai blocks the gambling sites...If you went to Dubai and tried to bet via PTC or Twinspires from your hotel room, nada.

I still have a hard time believing there is NO wagering..

toussaud
03-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I was there when invasor won. probably the best track experience I have ever had.

TommyCh
03-25-2010, 02:07 PM
The people in Dubai probably have enough money to send somebody to London or something and then they just call them with their picks. I was at the OTB last year and while I saw the TVG talking heads on TV, I can't say for certain they were carrying the live feed. TVG is a joke and a real laff factory when they try to pretend they have video feed rights when they don't. They want you to watch the race video through their wagering web site but watch their yokels on TV at the same time. Aren't they losing market share big time? I assume I'll be watching the video through TwinSpires on the ol' BozoPuter.

Black Ruby
03-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Are those "doody free" horses a special variety they breed in Dubai? :D

joanied
03-25-2010, 04:33 PM
I just looked it up and here is the link to the page at HRTV that had the info...you have to scroll down the big box with race times to March 27th...

http://hrtv.com/calendar.asp

HRTV coverage begins Saturday morning at 9:30am EST.

TVG says it has it too...so if you want to take a chance that it's really gonna be there...it begins Sat. morning on TVG at 9am. EST.

:)

joanied
03-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I pretty much just look to watching some great horse racing...and to see the facilities, which are fabulous...and I always waear my heart on my sleeve for international racing...all for America:ThmbUp:

no time to strudy PP's or anything else...so off the top, some of my picks...

AlQuoz Sprint;
Cal. Flag
Sirocco Breeze
Our Giant

Golden Shaheen;
Gayego
Kinsale King
Rocket Man

Dubia Duty Free;
Courageous Cat
Alexnadros
Lahaleeb

Sheena Classic;
Pressios Passion
Spanish Moon
Calvaryman

DWClassic;
Red Desire
Richards Kid
Gio Ponit
or...
Gip Ponti
Richards Kid
Red Desire

I just want as many American's to win as possible...

Good luck to you guys that have wgaers down...
:jump: :) :jump:

WinterTriangle
03-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Shipping overseas, tapeta surface, then being deprived of Lasix on raceday, as it's only legal in America, is a tall order.

I've already gone on record saying I like red desire in the other dubai topic, after seeing her race against Vodka in the Japan Cup, and she got me an exotic win too....but I might put something on Gloria de when I find out what race that one is in, and one or two others, probably a deKock horse.

joanied
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Winter T...yeah, the cards are stacked against us over there...more than ever now, especially with the Tapeta surface...but, one can hope:ThmbUp: I do expect a really good run from both Richard's Kid and California Flag...the DWC is a tough one...I also picked Red Desire on one DWC list...she'll be the first filly/mare to win...which would be way cool :cool:

bobphilo
03-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Here's the link to free Brisnet PPs for the Dubai WC races.

http://tinyurl.com/DubaiPPs

Bob

toussaud
03-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I pretty much just look to watching some great horse racing...and to see the facilities, which are fabulous...and I always waear my heart on my sleeve for international racing...all for America:ThmbUp:

no time to strudy PP's or anything else...so off the top, some of my picks...

AlQuoz Sprint;
Cal. Flag
Sirocco Breeze
Our Giant

Golden Shaheen;
Gayego
Kinsale King
Rocket Man

Dubia Duty Free;
Courageous Cat
Alexnadros
Lahaleeb

Sheena Classic;
Pressios Passion
Spanish Moon
Calvaryman

DWClassic;
Red Desire
Richards Kid
Gio Ponit
or...
Gip Ponti
Richards Kid
Red Desire

Good luck to you guys that have wgaers down...
:jump: :) :jump: courageous cat is not going to win 9F against this bunch. this is not gulfstream.

the rest i am somewhat on the same page with execpt i really like Buena Vista

GaryG
03-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I like a few longshots:

FINJAAN in the Al Quoz Sprint

BUENA VISTA in the Sheema Classic

RED DESIRE in the Gold Cup

picojim
03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Here's the link to free Brisnet PPs for the Dubai WC races.

http://tinyurl.com/DubaiPPs

Bob

those are last years PPs

edit heres this years
pps (http://www.brisnet.com/brisnet_promos/dub0327y.pdf)

bobphilo
03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
those are last years PPs

edit heres this years
pps (http://www.brisnet.com/brisnet_promos/dub0327y.pdf)

Thanks TVGfan. Here are the DRF PPs.

http://www.drf.com/internat/dubaiworldcup2010.pdf

Bob

toussaud
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
The best bet of the day

box mendip and mesir in the UAE Derby..

nearco
03-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I like a few longshots:

FINJAAN in the Al Quoz Sprint

BUENA VISTA in the Sheema Classic

RED DESIRE in the Gold Cup

Wouldn't consider Red Desire a longshot, not after her last race at Meydan. She's trading betweeen 7/1 and 8/1 with the English books.

toussaud
03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
becuase the americans only bet with the american pools, you are guaranteed to get her at least at 8 to 1.

"Gio ponti and richard's kid will both go off as underlys in the american pools.

also, they will over-bet V'DE becuase of euro envy (Americans think anything that wins a grade 1 in euro is better than an American horse on turf/synethics, see rip van winkle and mastercraftsman)

I would really take a hard look at Furthest land as a "WTH" redboarding pick (well if you only threw out his last race, he figured, and it was a prep)

for the record i'm going REd Desire/ Furthest land / Gitano Hernando Trirecta

bobphilo
03-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Actually, from everthing I hear from those who have been there, they wisely really go out of their way to let Westerners have as many as their pleasures as possible. Special bars at the track strictly for westerners to drink all they want. Also plenty of night life. After all, they want people to like the place so much they'll stay at their hotels and buy their fancy condos and live there. Smart guy the Sheike.

Bob

toussaud
03-26-2010, 11:18 PM
yes, dubai is very very westernized.

bobphilo
03-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm leaning towards boxing an Exacta with Gio Ponti, Twice Worty and Vision d'Etat in the World Cup.

Can't wait to see some of the worlds best horses race on the best new Tapeta surface.

Bob

toussaud
03-27-2010, 01:37 AM
you'd go a very long way leaving all euro's off your ticket. generally don't to too well in dubai. a horse here or there pop's up, but as a whole the record is not good.

A euro based horse has not won a Dubai World Cup race since David Junior in 06

you'd actually go a pretty long way leaving anything godolphin sends out as well, they have won 2 races since 2006 (both last year, Regal Ransom and Two step salsa)

boogazie
03-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Does anyone know the site where they have links to the race replays? I forgot the URL.

nijinski
03-27-2010, 02:17 AM
you'd go a very long way leaving all euro's off your ticket. generally don't to too well in dubai. a horse here or there pop's up, but as a whole the record is not good.

you'd actually go a pretty long way leaving anything godolphin sends out as well, they have won 2 races since 2006 (both last year, Regal Ransom and Two step salsa)
But the new surface could change that status.

toussaud
03-27-2010, 09:27 AM
nothing to do with the surfaces, they lose on turf to. they run differently in europe than anywhere else in the world. aren't used to the speed, that's what kills them.

nearco
03-27-2010, 09:56 AM
nothing to do with the surfaces, they lose on turf to. they run differently in europe than anywhere else in the world. aren't used to the speed, that's what kills them.

The do fine in the Breeders Cup, in HK, in Japan, and their 3rd/4th strings have won the Melbourne Cup in Aus.

The under performance of Euro horses in Dubai has more to do with the fact that it's so early in the season. The first flat racing meet of the season in England is THIS WEEKEND. The winter in Europe is for jump racing, the flat horses get the time off. Having a horse ready to win expensive G1s in march is not something they are used to, or normally train for. The biggest, most successful stable in Europe, Coolmore/Ballydoyle, doesn't even mess with Dubai, doesn't work into their schedule, which is having horses peaking from May to Sept.

toussaud
03-27-2010, 09:58 AM
The do fine in BC, in HK, in Japan, and their 3rd/4th strings have won the Melbourne Cup in Aus.

The under performance of Euro horses in Dubai has more to do with the fact that it's so early in the season. The first flat racing meet of the season in England is THIS WEEKEND. The winter in Europe is for jump racing, the flat horses get the time off. Having a horse ready to win expensive G1s in march is not something they are used to, or normally train for. The biggest, most successful stable in Europe, Coolmore/Ballydoyle, doesn't even mess with Dubai, doesn't work into their schedule, which is having horses peaking from May to Sept.
the melborne cup is a 2 mile race lol.

also, the australians, and asian horses do not show up to the breeders cup.

coolmore does not bother with dubai becuase it's ran by their arch rival, not because it's too early

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 10:04 AM
The difference is, the Top horses from Ballydoyle etc don't run in Dubia. These horses targets are at Newmarket, York, Royal Ascot, Goodwood , Curragh, Longchamp etc.

toussaud
03-27-2010, 10:11 AM
The difference is, the Top horses from Ballydoyle etc don't run in Dubia. These horses targets are at Newmarket, York, Royal Ascot, Goodwood , Curragh, Longchamp etc.

that's fine. no one is saying the horses in europe can't run lol

i'm saying, leave the euro's that are there, off the ticket and you will go far.

nearco
03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
the melborne cup is a 2 mile race lol.

also, the australians, and asian horses do not show up to the breeders cup.

Really? so how come Aussie, Japan, and HK horses aren't shipping in and winning thr Arc, Irish Champion stakes, King George etc?
Euro horses ship all over the world and win.

coolmore does not bother with dubai becuase it's ran by their arch rival, not because it's too early

Not so, it doesn't fit into their plans. They have run a token horse or two in the past.

Grits
03-27-2010, 10:19 AM
One might need to reaccess the tip on "leaving out anything Godolphin sends" considering they just rolled at 13/1 paying $26. to win. And topping a 3,200. trifecta.:D

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 10:19 AM
If i were you i would not ignore horses like Twiice Over, Vision D'Etat or even Gitano Hernando.

Vinnie
03-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Craziness and of course a non play by me... :mad: In Race #2 the Sprint at 6f with California Flag I asked my 12 year old who just so happened to be watching the pre race with me. "Who do you like in here if you were going to play" by just using a couple of numbers. He said and I kid you not; "I like the 6 and 7"! Are you kidding me? The race result- 6-7-8 with Cal. Flag coming in for third. The Exacta paid frigg'in $460 for a buck. Go figure...

Have a great day and enjoy the racing over there in Dubai. I am rooting Big Time for the American Horses... :)

toussaud
03-27-2010, 10:22 AM
One might need to reaccess the tip on "leaving out anything Godolphin sends" considering they just rolled at 13/1 paying $26. to win. And topping a 3,200. trifecta.:D

this is the way the dream chaser thinks

i am willing to give you a bone from time to time, to be able to cut off 3/5 favorites in every race with confidence and focus on other horses.

i made hella money last fall at BC by not betting adian o'brian and not betting bin suroor, even though coolmore won the marathon. i was able to cross out some extremely heavy favorites with confidence. crossing out horses like mastercraftsman, rip, the 2YO filly in the filly juvenille race who ran up the track, gayego and cocoa beach and the like. yes i'm willing to give you 1 race to be able to cross out horses like that EVERY race and feel quite confident about it. they don't win that often.

and it's not so much the colors of goldophin as it is bin suroor, who was not the trainer

Grits
03-27-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't chase dreams; I don't have to.

And I don't give a damn who you bet today, or last year.

Your ballpark statements are foolish ones.
EOC.

toussaud
03-27-2010, 10:40 AM
timely jazz broke down

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 10:58 AM
What a gorgeous track, the coverage is spectacular, replays and overheads. The track is packed on the apron. Sure can't beat the good payouts either.
Sad about timely jazz:eek:

Great coverage on dubai race night, photos, etc.

"It is currently 106F/41C in Dubai at the moment, absolutely blazing conditions...."

Sheik Mo looks like he's enjoying himself, cool as a cucumber, how do they take that heat

toussaud
03-27-2010, 10:59 AM
What a gorgeous track, the coverage is spectacular, replays and overheads. The track is packed on the apron. Sure can't beat the good payouts either.
Sad about timely jazz:eek:
the track is truly amazing

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Race dynamics should suit and with a clear passage he should go very close, so i would not advise anyone to leave out Previs in next race from Meydan

toussaud
03-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Race dynamics should suit and with a clear passage he should go very close, so i would not advise anyone to leave out Previs in next race from Meydan
HE LOOKED GREAT LAST OUT

slew101
03-27-2010, 11:50 AM
I like No. 15 Presvis as well. Playing with the 1 and 2 in the Duty Free. Second last year in this race and comes in off a win in a prep.

The US horses never seem to fire in these turf races.

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 12:00 PM
the track is truly amazing

beyond gorgeous

Hope Confront or Ba Ba wins next that's who I bet

OMG, it's El Shamali the local at 99-1!!!! It like an MTB win, 130K wagered and only a tiny bit in the win pool on him

toussaud
03-27-2010, 12:01 PM

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 12:04 PM
they said 145-1 on the international tape? Euro forum reports it was 180-1

slew101
03-27-2010, 12:05 PM
134-1 wins the race. No run from Presvis or the US horses.

I like No. 15 Presvis as well. Playing with the 1 and 2 in the Duty Free. Second last year in this race and comes in off a win in a prep.

The US horses never seem to fire in these turf races.

cpitt84
when does the 10 million dollar race start?

DeanT
Crikey,

First time I have seen a horse trade at like 350-1 win a race.

Grits
03-27-2010, 12:15 PM

Toussaud, this one was a local too. I hope you didn't throw him out. But if you did its good because most everyone else did as well.:lol:

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Wonder if red desire will be in her red wraps today? Against her hair it looks spectacular

toussaud
03-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Toussaud, this one was a local too. I hope you didn't throw him out. But if you did its good because most everyone else did as well.:lol:
I never said local. i said goldophin. big difference. then I even went back and was more specific to say Bin Suroor.

so far if you crossed out all Bin Suroor trained horses you would have crossed out Gayego, Desert Party and mindip, one of which was the 3/5 fav and the other two going off as 2nd choice.

thanks for trying though.

i see why i don't post here. i gave a very solid betting angle (that is holding up) and am my words twisted by people with agendas

pesvis ran up the track as the fav who i crossed out as soon as the entries came out.

bisket
03-27-2010, 12:23 PM
can a maryland bred win the richest race in the world? if richard's kid wins today i'm sure dick small will probably be doing backflips. it would put the pride of his accomplishments as a horseman (the broad brush pedigree line) on the world market. the broad brush line is the quintessential poly track breeding line imhop.

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 12:25 PM
toussand

pesvis ran up the track as the fav who i crossed out as soon as the entries came out.

Shame you didn't tell us this before race was run.

46zilzal
03-27-2010, 12:26 PM
The exacta here on the Duty Free was over 292K,,,correction super

toussaud
03-27-2010, 12:27 PM
toussand

Shame you didn't tell us this before race was run.
so i guess me saying leave all euro's off the ticket wasn't enough huh

you even commented on how silly it was for me to leave"horses like him" off my ticket.

this is pathetically childish

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Race 6 turned out a $ 23,125.60 trifecta ($2):eek:

Grits
03-27-2010, 12:31 PM

Toussaud, I'm just going on what you said and you made this statement last night at 1:37 a.m. You say, not one single word about Suroor. After the 13/1 shot you've narrowed your statement to Suroor. Good.

Don't get your butt on your shoulders when such is pointed out to you.

Get over yourself.:lol: No one is gonna lose any sleep over the tips either way.

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 12:31 PM
so i guess me saying leave all euro's off the ticket wasn't enough huh

you even commented on how silly it was for me to leave"horses like him" off my ticket.

this is pathetically childish

What's pathetic is you coming on forum after the event and stating

You never mentioned this before race did you despite having the opportunity.

toussaud
03-27-2010, 12:33 PM
he DID look great. hell he won last out. that does not mean i want to BET him.

this is like that scene in let it ride when t he guy goes back to the Sports bar

oh well

I said

then you said

than i said

hat's fine. no one is saying the horses in europe can't run lol

i'm saying, leave the euro's that are there, off the ticket and you will go far.

me saying pelvis looked good was nothing more than me trying to be civil. he did look good, point to me where i have said anything that contradicted my stance on euro horses.

SmartyLane
03-27-2010, 12:39 PM
COME ON PRESIOUS

SmartyLane
03-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Talk about a stampede geesh.......I still like the ole boy PP.

Charlie D
Euro just won Toussand, you method of "leave all Euro's out" sucks bud in my humble opinion.

TizTheOne
DAR RE MI. Excellent. Love the mare.

cpitt84
03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
wow what a race!!

nearco
03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
OOOPS.
Throw them Euros out....

toussaud
03-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Euro just won Toussand, you method of "leave all Euro's out" sucks bud in my humble opinion.
you are correct he did win. i dont' see all the hostility however. i have not said anything towards you or anyone that was degrading in any way shape or form, i did nothing but offer a handicapping angle. even now i'm not going at you.

if ou dont' like my handicapping that's fine but damn man.

even with all that said, i'll give you one race to cross out all of them in in all of my races, i'll still come out ahead in the long run.

GaryG
03-27-2010, 12:46 PM
This is a tough game for fragile egos. :lol:

Grits
03-27-2010, 12:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Toussaud, Gary's right, don't worry about any of this. Just go with the flow. If you trained for Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber (you do know who this is don't you?;) ) you have the filly ready as well.

SmartyLane
03-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Why does every thread get turned into bickering?

TizTheOne
03-27-2010, 12:48 PM
you are correct he did win. i dont' see all the hostility however. i have not said anything towards you or anyone that was degrading in any way shape or form, i did nothing but offer a handicapping angle. even now i'm not going at you.

if ou dont' like my handicapping that's fine but damn man.

even with all that said, i'll give you one race to cross out all of them in in all of my races, i'll still come out ahead in the long run.

Don't worry Toussaud. Good people prefer people that stick their necks out there and make their opinions public as opposed to those that just go around taking shots at people.

gm10
03-27-2010, 12:57 PM
not sure if anyone is still looking but this has a free video stream

http://cctv.ws/7/DubaiSports

(VLC player)

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Toussand

Not sure where you get the idea of me being hostile,, but anyway.

How connections horses run at BC or whatever has nothing to do with how they may run later in another race as the "Match Up" is different to the former "Match Up"

And this is where your method of "all out" falls down as just shown in the last race.

Grits
03-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't worry Toussaud. Good people prefer people that stick their necks out there and make their opinions public as opposed to those that just go around taking shots at people.

Maybe go further back into the thread, obviously you've not. It would be helpful to realize that Toussaud hasn't given out any selections here, other than his bet of the day--an 8/5 with a 9/5 that was split and ended there. What he has done is hang his opinions on some extremely ballpark statements to which some of us have responded. And there is nothing wrong in doing so. Nor is it bickering.

Again, he is not giving out his selections.

This hasn't anything do with whether myself or anyone else would perceive anyone as good or otherwise. That too, would be rather foolish.

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm following Dubai on 4 other forums, and none of this bickering is happening. It's really getting tiresome here. I have certainly experienced giving my picks here and having people come behind me to "ridicule".

Maybe someone should start a contest topic for those who want to compete.

Otherwise, I appeciate just hearing about other people's thoughts, even if they are not right.

It's just fun to watch and play the races with friends, ya know? I thought that's the whole point.

nijinski
03-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Rooting for Gitano Hernando, Vision D'Etat and Crowded House.

GaryG
03-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Like Red Desire at 7-1

slew101
03-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Gotta ride Gomez/Baffert. 10-2-4.

cpitt84
03-27-2010, 01:47 PM
so excited to see the race...its cool to see another culture too

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Like Red Desire at 7-1

I love her, too

Twice Over and Lizards look good too

Maybe a small bet on Gloria

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
so excited to see the race...its cool to see another culture too

I like hearing English spoken in so many different accents :)

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
All the best guys. i'm just going to enjoy race.

cpitt84
03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I like hearing English spoken in so many different accents :)

haha :)

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 01:56 PM
I love her, too

Twice Over and Lizards look good too

Maybe a small bet on Gloria

Looks like a photo between Lizards and Gloria :jump:

I don't care which one, I covered them pretty well

cpitt84
03-27-2010, 01:57 PM
crap. that was a disappointment!

cpitt84
03-27-2010, 01:58 PM
what happened to red desire?

bisket
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
good pickin winter!!!!!

broadreach
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
On this new surface looks like these World Cups are going to be bunched finishes like that one.

gm10
03-27-2010, 02:08 PM
what a thriller in the end
unlucky Gio Ponti who ran well but was caught out by a surprise pace scenario and Gitnano Hernando who had a very frustrating trip but still finished only 2l behind

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Well now I have some $ to waste on US stakes races today from Gloria at 25-1 and Lizards at 40-1

What a finish! Polycrap horse kills 'em on tapeta.

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 02:11 PM
good pickin winter!!!!!

thank you bisket, my picks for stakes races today are very iffy, so I'll probably lose it all back LOL

But now I want to go to Dubai next year LOL It sure is a pretty track.

GL today, by the way.

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 02:12 PM
:cool: call Winter Triangle

Bring back Dubia World Cup on Dirt FFS :D

nijinski
03-27-2010, 02:13 PM
The race is a toss. ;)

Congrats Winter T.

nearco
03-27-2010, 02:13 PM
On this new surface looks like these World Cups are going to be bunched finishes like that one.

I sure hope so!!!!

Learned Hand35
03-27-2010, 02:19 PM
$115,000.00 Pick 3? :faint:

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 02:27 PM
That jock on the #1 was incredible. Racing camels is good practice I guess.

Relwob Owner
03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
That jock on the #1 was incredible. Racing camels is good practice I guess.

Congrats!

GaryG
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Prett sharp cappin WT.....:jump:

Zippy Chippy
03-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Results? Payoffs?

gm10
03-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Well now I have some $ to waste on US stakes races today from Gloria at 25-1 and Lizards at 40-1

What a finish! Polycrap horse kills 'em on tapeta.

He has won on dirt, turf and synthetic - a very versatile horse.

098poi
03-27-2010, 03:07 PM
What do you guys think of that vehicle that goes on the inside to show the race. The angle is interesting but you can't really see the dynamics of what's going on. Also I was wondering if it could spook some horses or act as a pace setter for the lead horse. (?)

SmartyLane
03-27-2010, 03:52 PM
It is so hard for me to pick out who is who. Don't recognize silks and the only ones I do are the Godolphin and a bunch of'em.

Still a great race just not used to the views. What a place :ThmbUp:

gm10
03-27-2010, 04:07 PM
What do you guys think of that vehicle that goes on the inside to show the race. The angle is interesting but you can't really see the dynamics of what's going on. Also I was wondering if it could spook some horses or act as a pace setter for the lead horse. (?)

I thought the exact same thing (spooking horses) today when watching some races at Doncaster in England. I'd like to find out.

keithw84
03-27-2010, 06:13 PM
How does the surface cause the bunched finishes? And why did the fractions and final times seem so slow?

cj
03-27-2010, 06:22 PM
How does the surface cause the bunched finishes? And why did the fractions and final times seem so slow?

Because everyone has figured out that you go as slow as you can and finish fast. Early speed is not a plus on rubber. So, basically, all the races are 2 or 3f sprints to the wire regardless of the distance.

gm10
03-27-2010, 06:24 PM

I think there are several reasons, and there will be at least one person who disagrees with every reason that I mention.

- Less kickback
- Jockey's are more patient
- The surface is less tiring (despite the slower pace, final times are often quicker than before at those tracks who switched to poly)
- Others

The sectionals appeared slow because they WERE slow. 52 seconds for half a mile, 1'16'' for 6F. Even Peppers Pride could have won off those fractions.

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Bring back the DIRT and proper horse racing your Royal Highness ffs

Vinnie
03-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Because everyone has figured out that you go as slow as you can and finish fast. Early speed is not a plus on rubber. So, basically, all the races are 2 or 3f sprints to the wire regardless of the distance.

Isn't that the truth. Float around toward the back of the pack as much as possible and then it is a mad dash to the finish line.. It seemed like essentially all of the races on the rubber were run that way today.

hazzardm
03-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Looks like a photo between Lizards and Gloria :jump:

I don't care which one, I covered them pretty well

Outstanding job !!!!!

Tom
03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Great picking, WT........nice hit!

Bobzilla
03-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Crist's take on today's race as expressed in his blog:

http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/

Charlie D
03-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Dubai World Crapshoot

:D

But in the past, the World Cup was a true showcase for champions, such as Cigar, Silver Charm, Dubai Milennium, Invasor and Curlin. Now? Step right up and spin the wheel.

:ThmbUp: to Steve Crist in my opinion.

Bring back the DIRT and proper racing your Royal Highness ffs

BluegrassProf
03-27-2010, 09:22 PM
But in the past, the World Cup was a true showcase for champions, such as Cigar, Silver Charm, Dubai Milennium, Invasor and Curlin. Now? Step right up and spin the wheel.
+1 :ThmbUp:

cj
03-27-2010, 09:54 PM
As usual, Crist is dead on. For some comic relief the responses are a good read.

letswastemoney
03-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Is it true the winner of the DWC had the highest Racing Post figure on a synthetic surface?

I don't have the PPs

Market Mover
03-27-2010, 10:32 PM
A $10 million race can be quite a venue to learn how to ride. If you want to see how the mental effects of raceriding can affect even the most talented jockeys, go back to the Maktoum Challenge Round 3 and watch Allybar and Ajtebi on the rail. He sits the rail, when obviously this horse loves the outside (as shown in his last). He's a long-striding sort who appreciates open terrain to make that sustained run. In the prep race, he sits patiently, gets stymied, and when the open lane comes the youngster is able to get Allybar rallying for a respectable placing.

Flash forward a few weeks later to the big race. And Ahmed knows it's going to be a challenge to get Allybar into the clear. The rail post doesn't help, but he rides with conviction and when you view the close up shot, you've got to be wondering "how's he going to get Allybar out of there?"

Well he almost does. The critical error comes in the last sixteenth when he decides to switch outside of Gloria instead of holding that rail position. He probably figured, "I got stopped last time, and this race is $10 million, so I better find an open run for the Sheikh." He misses by a lil less than a head.

Had he held that rail and gone INSIDE of Gloria, I believe he wins this race and the thrilling photo. A superb ride nonetheless, but a costly few million difference between 1st and 3rd placings...

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Because everyone has figured out that you go as slow as you can and finish fast.

Or, you can go slow early AND slow late.... like in the Lane's End today. ;)

WinterTriangle
03-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Bring back the DIRT and proper racing your Royal Highness ffs

I'm not a synth fan, just learned to deal with it, but lemme ask this:

What superduper dirt horses would we be sending to the Dubai Cup? I'm not seein' Cigar, Curlin and Invasor out on the dirt tracks either. This KY Derby trail makes it pretty clear this time of year, doesn't it.:(

gm10
03-28-2010, 04:47 AM
I'm not a synth fan, just learned to deal with it, but lemme ask this:

What superduper dirt horses would we be sending to the Dubai Cup? I'm not seein' Cigar, Curlin and Invasor out on the dirt tracks either. This KY Derby trail makes it pretty clear this time of year, doesn't it.:(

I agree with you there. There was very little to send, except for Quality Road who still has a few things to prove anyway. Anyway, Gloria is not a bad horse. He may be of the same level as Curlin, but give a grade 1 winner an absurd slow pace and he will be tough to catch.

And you have to wonder why Crist wasn't writing the exact same thing 11 months ago after Well Armed had won the DWC and Mine That Bird had won the Derby.

I used to have a lot of respect for the man, but his constant digs against synthetic surfaces are becoming a bit of a turn-off.

gm10
03-28-2010, 04:48 AM
interesting post on the Crist blog

'Gloria de Campaeo had performed consistently over this track, as had Allybar. The fact that these two had been lower in European totes than American pools stresses the ignorance that comes with that certain prejudice against Dubai-trained horses when we try to handicap their races.

Consider this: The 2nd and 4rd place finishers of the Maktoum Challenge Round 3 ran 1st and 3rd. What's so surprising about this? They prepped for the richest race in the world in the races the Sheikh had designed specifically for these purposes. Perhaps more surprising is the heavy artillery in the American pools on horses that have never laid a step on Meydan.'

Charlie D
03-28-2010, 07:45 AM
WT

If His Royal Highness had not fallen for the sales pitch we may have seen Rachel in Dubia. We may have also seen Quality Road in Dubia.

Jasonm921
03-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Because synthetics equal TURF. Simple enough....argument over. That is why Gio Ponti was there and ran great but just wasn't good enough. This race could have been run in France in October (the Arc) and it would have been the same logical finish. Nothing surprising here. Synthetics have turned racing into Quarter Horse Racing. The equivalent of Short Track Speed Skating.

Steve R
03-28-2010, 11:39 AM
In case it hadn't been mentioned elsewhere, the Racing Post assigned the DWC a 122 which is a whopping 3 pounds lower than the previous lowest rating and 7 pounds below the historical race average. It is the same rating assigned to UAE Derby winner Musir (AUS).

Fager Fan
03-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Because synthetics equal TURF. Simple enough....argument over. That is why Gio Ponti was there and ran great but just wasn't good enough. This race could have been run in France in October (the Arc) and it would have been the same logical finish. Nothing surprising here. Synthetics have turned racing into Quarter Horse Racing. The equivalent of Short Track Speed Skating.

Please, I love short track speed skating, so don't diss it like that.

I invite the DWC winner over here to take on a NW3 dirt allowance field. Let's see where he ends up.

gm10
03-28-2010, 12:56 PM
In case it hadn't been mentioned elsewhere, the Racing Post assigned the DWC a 122 which is a whopping 3 pounds lower than the previous lowest rating and 7 pounds below the historical race average. It is the same rating assigned to UAE Derby winner Musir (AUS).

It is only that high because the RPR take class into account! If you look at the sectionals ... this was pathetically slow.

"Gloria de Campeao, who was ridden by Tiago Pereira of Brazil, ran the first 800 meters, or about half-mile, in 52.16 seconds, and about six furlongs in 1:16.94."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=5026808

joanied
03-28-2010, 02:10 PM
May as well toss in my thoughts...brief as they may be :) ...

The race track is spectacular...a true testament to what money can buy...I'd love to visit, but wouldn't want to live there:D (I'd like to see it in High Def)...

I thought the best part of the entire card was watching O'Callaghan jumping up & down :jump: like a pogo stick...that was really great!!

I didn't like the camera work much...the overhead shots are always good to see...but that car following them annoyed me, and watching a close up shot of the horses bunched up for most of every race was rather boreing...
the Tapeta surface is probably great for training...but not so for racing, IMO...there was very little jockeying for position...no great rushes by any horse to make up a ton of ground, just bunched up horses, running rather slow. I didn't see one 'brilliant' move the entire card.

I also don't think any of the races were very exciting, and I also didn't think any of the horses are world champion material.

I also think they must have put too much water on the turf track...did anyone else notice that Pressious Passion looked very unhappy? I knew while they were still on the backstretch it wasn't his day...

I sure did miss the the excitment and great racing we've seen from Dubia when they ran the races on DIRT :faint: I wonder if the Shiek is second guessing himself about laying down that surface...

Now I really, really, really can't wait for the Breeders Cup...on dirt, championship racing as it should be...IMO:)

joanied
03-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I forgot to mention... poor Timely Jazz broke down...and, unless I missed it somewhere...not a word about it :eek: ...if this had been the breeders Cup, and a horse breaks down...it'd be all over the forums, headlines in the race publications on line, folks would be in an uproar...but, again...not a word about Timely Jazz.
I find that rather strange. Also...it kinda prooves the point that the fake stuff ain't much, if any, safer than good old dirt!

Fager Fan
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I forgot to mention... poor Timely Jazz broke down...and, unless I missed it somewhere...not a word about it :eek: ...if this had been the breeders Cup, and a horse breaks down...it'd be all over the forums, headlines in the race publications on line, folks would be in an uproar...but, again...not a word about Timely Jazz.
I find that rather strange. Also...it kinda prooves the point that the fake stuff ain't much, if any, safer than good old dirt!

It's being talked about on other forums, including the fact that no one is officially reporting that the horse was put down. Some are wondering aloud if this is the kind of reporting you get when all luxurious expenses are paid for -- they won't dare mention that a horse died that day.

joanied
03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
It's being talked about on other forums, including the fact that no one is officially reporting that the horse was put down. Some are wondering aloud if this is the kind of reporting you get when all luxurious expenses are paid for -- they won't dare mention that a horse died that day.

Good it's being talked about...somewhere...I still haven't seen one thing mentioned in any of the online race publications...BloodHorse, DRF ect.

Guess it's true..."money talks' :faint:

broadreach
03-28-2010, 04:06 PM
The Stewards Report indicates the horse was not put down Saturday night...

Leaving the 800m, TIMELY JAZZ (IRE) broke down and was eased out of the race. .... A post race veterinary examination of TIMELY JAZZ (IRE) revealed the colt to have suffered a fracture to the left fore. TIMELY JAZZ (IRE) was transported to the Dubai Equine Hospital for further examination.

Fager Fan
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Leaving the 800m, TIMELY JAZZ (IRE) broke down and was eased out of the race. .... A post race veterinary examination of TIMELY JAZZ (IRE) revealed the colt to have suffered a fracture to the left fore. TIMELY JAZZ (IRE) was transported to the Dubai Equine Hospital for further examination.

Someone reported that they wrote the racing post and received the following:

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your email.

We have not been able to obtain confirmation, but unfortunately we believe that Timely Jazz was put down after suffering a leg fracture in the UAE Derby yesterday.

Kind Regards,
xxxx
Racing Post Customer Services

joanied
03-28-2010, 05:09 PM

This Stewards report indicates the horse was vanned off and taken to the equine hospital for further examination....

it doesn't say a thing about what happened after they got him there :bang: ...

PS...read Fager Fan's post.

Deepsix
03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
?? I'm not sure what value to place of Fager Fan's post---

"Someone reported" (source unknown)

and the Racing Post Customer Services reps name is XXX'd out.

I place no value on that info.

joanied
03-28-2010, 07:21 PM
?? I'm not sure what value to place of Fager Fan's post---

"Someone reported" (source unknown)

and the Racing Post Customer Services reps name is XXX'd out.

I place no value on that info.

I guess he wants to protect their privacy?
I do agree though, that may be a bogus letter...but, with all the DWC news that I read...not a word about Timely Jazz...don't you find that strange?

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Whether he was put down or not, it's quite telling nonetheless. The track has been open for weeks now, so faulty maintenance probably isn't the cause...and this isn't some $3,000 claimer running at Penn National in the dead of winter, so fitness and climate isn't the cause...

Guess that only leaves the fact that horses will continue to break down, FOREVER, no matter what surface they run over. Even the best horses on the BIGGEST days. Forget the safety line they were feeding us when trying to sell the bill of goods known as "All Weather Surfaces."

I still remember the fact that a horse broke down in the VERY FIRST RACE ever run at Presque Isle Downs (which has the same Tapeta surface as Meydan).