PDA

View Full Version : European bookmaking question.

Stillriledup
03-22-2010, 05:07 PM
I know that William HIll is one of the big names across the big pond. My question is this. How much money does WIlliam Hill (or any other big name) contribute to purses of the races in Europe that they're booking? Thanks.

Charlie D
03-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Enjoy Stillriledup

http://www.hblb.org.uk/

For off-course betting through licensed Betting Offices (cash betting) showing a gross profit on BHBB of £90,000 or more per year, a flat percentage charge of 10% applies. Abated charges apply to any licensed Betting Office with gross profits of less than £90,000. A minimum levy payment no longer applies. For all other media platforms, such as telephone and internet betting, a flat percentage charge of 10% applies without abatement.

Stillriledup
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Thank you Charles! :ThmbUp:

gm10
03-22-2010, 05:21 PM
"The levy yield from bookmakers and Tote in 2007-08 was a record pounds 116.5 million. The 2008-09 equivalent is expected to be no more than pounds 100m. "

horses4courses
03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
"The levy yield from bookmakers and Tote in 2007-08 was a record pounds 116.5 million. The 2008-09 equivalent is expected to be no more than pounds 100m. "

The recession taking it's toll......

There is no question that having a choice between fixed odds bookmakers, and a pari-mutuel system, is the best of both worlds for the bettor (punter).

Thanks for the HRLB input, charlied!

Now, if Capitol Hill could wise up long enough to allow US citizens to do business with UK bookmakers again, and not make their executives potential
prisoners when/if they visit these shores, the world would be a kinder place.

I'm sure a deal could be worked out for revenues to the Feds for any business done from the US via phone, or internet.
It would give illegal bookmaking within the US, and in the Carribean, a kick in the ass, for sure.

46zilzal
03-22-2010, 05:40 PM
These shops are everywhere. I did not go three blocks in any direction while staying in Brighton without running into one of them. Nice places too.

horses4courses
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
These shops are everywhere. I did not go three blocks in any direction while staying in Brighton without running into one of them. Nice places too.

I grew up an American living in Ireland.....a bookie (legal) on nearly every corner in Dublin.

I'm not sure of any study figures, but I feel it's likely that there is a higher percentage per capita of compulsive gamblers in this country, than over there. Not that they don't have their problems, but banning something to control it, is often not the best solution. (see Prohibition)

46zilzal
03-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I grew up an American living in Ireland.....a bookie (legal) on nearly every corner in Dublin.

)
I was so impressed walking into the Temple Bar and seeing BOTH Northern Dancer and Secretariat proudly displayed amidst good Irish music.

Charlie D
03-22-2010, 05:56 PM
These type of businesses pay taxes, they also employ plenty of people like other businesses.

Bit dumb not to allow them to trade on US soil, paying US taxes and employing US citizens in my humble opinion.

lamboguy
03-22-2010, 06:32 PM
These type of businesses pay taxes, they also employ plenty of people like other businesses.

Bit dumb not to allow them to trade on US soil, paying US taxes and employing US citizens in my humble opinion.gambling is much different in england. first of all if you happen to win, you don't pay any taxes. the next thing i want to point out is that a bookmaker is a very respected profession there. in this country you go to jail for taking book. also the main reason why you are not going to have bookmakers is because states run lotteries that not only bilk their customers and ruin them and their family's, and the lottery is a dumping grounds for politions to give their friends useless jobs. of course in nevada they have legal bookmaking and they refuse to book horses now.

Charlie D
03-22-2010, 07:28 PM
even allowing for different taxing systems lamboguy, it's still a bit dumb to turn down tax dollars and job creation.

nearco
03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Bookmakers also sponsor a lot of races, every thing from whole cards of mid week low class fare at AW tracks, to G1 races... i.e "Stan James" 2000 Guineas, "Betfred" Gold Cup, "Ladbrokes" World Hurdle, "PaddyPower" Gold Cup etc etc.

gm10
03-22-2010, 07:45 PM
the exchanges are sponsoring races as well these days
they started out as cheapskates (as many internet businesses) but I think that, as they mature, they will contribute more and more

it's a new world and there's nothing really wrong with it, so best roll with the punches is what I say