PDA

View Full Version : Preakness: "All you can drink!"

Stillriledup
03-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Wonderful, a step in the right direction for Maryland Racing.

:rolleyes:

Charlie D
03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
A better idea may have been "all you can eat", but at least they're giving it a shot.

rastajenk
03-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Charlie...what's the matter with you? No chick ever raised her shirt because she grazed at the food bar for too long. To paraphrase, cheeseburgers are dandy, but beer is quicker. :p

:cool:

Charlie D
03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
:)

I thinking of the WIDER audience and not just the sex maniacs amongst us :)

joanied
03-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Charlie...what's the matter with you? No chick ever raised her shirt because she grazed at the food bar for too long. To paraphrase, cheeseburgers are dandy, but beer is quicker. :p

:cool:

:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: Classy:rolleyes:

point given
03-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Hope they have a good insurance policy in place for all the drunks who crash their cars on the way home and pray that they don't kill anyone !

PhantomOnTour
03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Wonderful, a step in the right direction for Maryland Racing.

:rolleyes:
All you can drink...can you elaborate?

tzipi
03-22-2010, 04:01 PM
All you can drink...can you elaborate?

Phantom,

Patrons in the infield at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on Preakness Stakes Day on May 15 will be able to receive unlimited refills of beer for $20, according to the racetrack.

The new policy is designed to placate critics of a ban implemented last year on bringing any beverages into the infield. In 2009, the first year of the ban, attendance at the Preakness dropped by 34,000 people, from more than 101,000 to 77,850, a 30.6 percent drop.

Although infield customers will continue to be prohibited from bringing any drinks into the track, patrons will be allowed to buy a 16-ounce mug in the infield that can be filled an unlimited number of times. In addition, Pimlico said that a beer garden in the infield will offer $1 12-ounce beers from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Admission to the infield this year will cost $40 in advance, and $50 on the day of the Preakness, Pimlico said. Last year, infield admission was $50 regardless of when the ticket was purchased.

PhantomOnTour
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I went to the 'Red Bullet' Preakness around 1999 or 2000 and kids were bringing kegs into the infield...KEGS!!! With a 50gallon can and ice...all the trimmings. They were allowed to bring just about anything at the time. Over the years the restrictions grew until last year when it was all banned. Crowd was sparse but I actually made a trip to the infield. Think ZZ Top was playing. I don't see anything wrong with the $20 drinkfest....they can't possibly be more intoxicated than the good ole days.

Oh btw, got a wee trivia question for ya: where/how did ZZ Top get their name?

joanied
03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Hope they have a good insurance policy in place for all the drunks who crash their cars on the way home and pray that they don't kill anyone !

Good point...although, I suppose in years past, the infield crazies got just as drunk and drove home...which is both amazing and rather irresponsible...let's hope every crowd of friends there will have a designated driver.

PhantomOnTour
03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Most of the infielders are college kids who rent busses and are chaffeured to and from Pimlico. Northern Pkwy is full 'o drunk kids in busses by 9am...i kinda enjoy seeing them....until about 2pm when they are all obliterated and non-compus-mentus. They are passed out by the time the Preakness rolls around....oh, and they didn't come to bet. Good times.

tzipi
03-22-2010, 04:39 PM

I've heard two things. One was that they got it from rolling paper companies. Zig-Zag and Top. The other had to do with B. B. King I think.

PhantomOnTour
03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
I've heard two things. One was that they got it from rolling paper companies. Zig-Zag and Top. The other had to do with B. B. King I think.
Right on tzipi...it's the ZigZag Top answer I was looking for. I know nothing about the BB King thing.
:ThmbUp:

tzipi
03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Good point...although, I suppose in years past, the infield crazies got just as drunk and drove home...which is both amazing and rather irresponsible...let's hope every crowd of friends there will have a designated driver.

:ThmbUp: Designated drivers are the key. Sports has stopped serving beer after a certain time during games because it got so bad. HBO sports did a shocking piece on drunk driving deaths after football games over the years. Alot of innocent people killed.
There's nothing wrong with partying it up big time on big days, but why drive when there's so many other options? :bang:

tzipi
03-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Right on tzipi...it's the ZigZag Top answer I was looking for. I know nothing about the BB King thing.

:ThmbUp:.

joanied
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM

Hey...I knew that:) :ThmbUp: :) ...now if the Preakness day infield crowd was like we had at Woodstock...that would be a party:jump: :cool: :jump:

best tune from ZZ..."the girls are just crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man"

cj's dad
03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Are very diligent as to those who are drinking and driving and as another poster stated most of the kids are on buses and the like from the local bars and restaurants in the 20 mile area around Pimlico.

I went to the infield once in the late 70's and "NEVER AGAIN" will I venture there.

I have not gone for 2 years since they cut out bringing your own beer into the clubhouse/grandstand (seats are $75 to $125) and beers are $7 plus a long line to get one.

Once again, the Md. Jockey Club, one of the poorest run venues in the country has screwed up and are trying to make amends to the infield crowd while ignoring the regular patrons who buy the premium seats.

tzipi
03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey...I knew that:) :ThmbUp: :) ...now if the Preakness day infield crowd was like we had at Woodstock...that would be a party:jump: :cool: :jump:

best tune from ZZ..."the girls are just crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man"

You were at Woodstock! Now that awesome. Sure you got some great stories joanied. What was your favorite band that was there and who really impressed you? If you don't mind :)

BELMONT 6-6-09
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Beer and racing...a great combination for fun, along with a few winners of course!Years ago my fathers cousin and his friend were driving to the preakness
and said they would pick me up. I waited at my curb, 17YEARS OLD and a racing fanatic going to my first Preakness.After about a hour or so I called Tommy and he said in his still sleepy voice "oh we decided not to go"
WHEN WERE YOU ABOUT TO LET ME KNOW! CRUSHED LOL

twindouble
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I'll have to give, that track a close look. A bunch tipsy players will create a lot of value for us sober handicappers.

bisket
03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
are you wondering what its like in the infield preakness day?
pandemonium!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErK4y7GmxL8

Tom
03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Phantom,
Patrons in the infield at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on Preakness Stakes Day on May 15 will be able to receive unlimited refills of beer for $20, according to the racetrack.

Hmmmm. What could go wrong here? Duh!

In this May 15, 1999 file photo, a spectator runs on to the race course and stands in front of Artax, with Jorge F. Chavez up, and the horses in the Maryland (http://www.daylife.com/topic/Maryland) Breeders Cup Grade III at Pimlico Race Course (http://www.daylife.com/topic/Pimlico_Race_Course) in Baltimore (http://www.daylife.com/topic/Baltimore). Strange things always seem to happen at the Preakness. A drunken fan running onto the track and punching a horse.

Relwob Owner
03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Are very diligent as to those who are drinking and driving and as another poster stated most of the kids are on buses and the like from the local bars and restaurants in the 20 mile area around Pimlico.

I went to the infield once in the late 70's and "NEVER AGAIN" will I venture there.

I have not gone for 2 years since they cut out bringing your own beer into the clubhouse/grandstand (seats are $75 to $125) and beers are $7 plus a long line to get one.

Once again, the Md. Jockey Club, one of the poorest run venues in the country has screwed up and are trying to make amends to the infield crowd while ignoring the regular patrons who buy the premium seats.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

tzipi
03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Artax should've run that idiot over. The guy goes out on the track to try and punch an innocent animal?? :bang:

Yeah maybe everflowing booze not such a great idea Tom :D

Stillriledup
03-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Could you imagine if you were going to win a million dollar pick 6 and someone ran on the track at the wire and instead of giving you the money, they paid off to ALL?

:p

fmhealth
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I guess this event will be back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJERE619BGY

the little guy
03-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Could you imagine if you were going to win a million dollar pick 6 and someone ran on the track at the wire and instead of giving you the money, they paid off to ALL?

:p

According to you handicappers should take that possibility into account when they play.

Valuist
03-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Hmmmm. What could go wrong here? Duh!

In this May 15, 1999 file photo, a spectator runs on to the race course and stands in front of Artax, with Jorge F. Chavez up, and the horses in the Maryland (http://www.daylife.com/topic/Maryland) Breeders Cup Grade III at Pimlico Race Course (http://www.daylife.com/topic/Pimlico_Race_Course) in Baltimore (http://www.daylife.com/topic/Baltimore). Strange things always seem to happen at the Preakness. A drunken fan running onto the track and punching a horse.

When you think of the healthcare bill passing, I think of guys like this idiot that tried to punch Artax (you KNOW its people like him) that we will be paying for now.

The Hawk
03-23-2010, 08:21 AM
...trying to make amends to the infield crowd while ignoring the regular patrons who buy the premium seats.

AND the regular patrons who are actually betting their races. This is another step backward, and potentially yet ANOTHER black eye for racing.

rastajenk
03-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh, brother; some of you could use a big dose of "lightening up."

InTheRiver68
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I guess this event will be back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJERE619BGY

I didn't even have to click on the link to know what it was...

They spaced the PP's into groups of four or six, several yards apart, starting the year after the racing got popular. You can't do it anymore.

- InTheRiver68

domino1891
03-23-2010, 01:47 PM
I went to the 'Red Bullet' Preakness around 1999 or 2000 and kids were bringing kegs into the infield...KEGS!!! With a 50gallon can and ice...all the trimmings. They were allowed to bring just about anything at the time. Over the years the restrictions grew until last year when it was all banned. Crowd was sparse but I actually made a trip to the infield. Think ZZ Top was playing. I don't see anything wrong with the $20 drinkfest....they can't possibly be more intoxicated than the good ole days.

Not that it's really important, in the US we use "kegs" that are acutally "half-barrel kegs", and hold 15.5 gallons.
A 50 gallon keg would weigh over 400 lbs, not counting the keg.

I'm personally not a fan of the infield debacle during the Preakness or the Derby, but have no right to complain as I will watch from home.

(btw, here's a story that includes the B.B. King / Z.Z. King/Top reference http://listeningroom.lohudblogs.com/2009/06/10/guitar-players-you-should-know-billy-gibbons/ )

rastajenk
03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
With all due respect, the "keg" goes in the "can," a piece of plastic weighing in at a few pounds at the most.

PhantomOnTour
03-23-2010, 02:01 PM
With all due respect, the "keg" goes in the "can," a piece of plastic weighing in at a few pounds at the most.
Thank you rastajenk :ThmbUp:
Some folks just don't read all that well.

domino1891
03-23-2010, 02:09 PM

gotcha, thanks for the ejumikashun!

The Hawk
03-23-2010, 08:32 PM

We shall see. I've been to several runnings of the Preakness, however, and I can tell you firsthand it was a disaster waiting to happen BEFORE they encouraged college kids to make sure they got their $60 worth of beer in them.

Let's meet back here on May 16th. Bring the crime stats. That's if Pimlico doesn't come to their senses before then. Anyone remember this (from Wikipedia):

****Ten Cent Beer Night was a promotion held by Major League Baseball's Cleveland Indians during a game against the Texas Rangers at Cleveland Municipal Stadium on June 4, 1974.

The idea behind the promotion was to offer as many eight-ounce (237 mL) cups of Stroh's beer as the fans could drink for just 10¢ each, thus increasing ticket sales. Ultimately, the game was forfeited to Texas on the orders of home plate umpire Nestor Chylak because of the crowd's uncontrollable rowdiness, and because the game could not be resumed in a timely manner.

cj's dad
03-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Obviously you have never been to Pimlico on the 3rd Saturday of May and if you have you must not have been paying attention to the morons in the infield !!

KingChas
03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Phantom,

Sounds to me like Pimlico is pulling a fast one here.
I don't know the rules,but if it's one beer per person(refill).
I would imagine you will be standing in a line most of the day.
You will be lucky to get 2 beers all day.
Of course some will find a way to beat this,I presume.

I envision a kid getting a beer,returning to the back of the line,drinking his beer while waiting in line for a refill.
Most likely you will see a line of people pissing in public. :D
Should really be a prettier scene than past years. :eek:

cj's dad
03-24-2010, 08:44 AM
The whole situation makes me proud to be a native Baltimoron :faint:

KingChas
03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I hope the genius that came up with this idea has all the bases covered,which I doubt.
Imagine standing in line for an hour and all of a sudden the guy in front of you lets 50 people he's with into line.
Thus making you and the guy behind you with 50 people to let into line also get very upset.
Other possibilities,puking on, peeing on,bullying..... nothing good...etc.
Sound's like the making of a riot.

It would not shock me to see this causing the cancellation of the
2010 Preakness,
ala the baseball game in Texas.

The stenched filled infeild will be a roped off crime scene.

I'll stay home............ ;)

cj's dad
03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
I hope the genius that came up with this idea has all the bases covered,which I doubt.
Imagine standing in line for an hour and all of a sudden the guy in front of you lets 50 people he's with into line.
Thus making you and the guy behind you with 50 people to let into line also get very upset.
Other possibilities,puking on, peeing on,bullying..... nothing good...etc.
Sound's like the making of a riot.

It would not shock me to see this causing the cancellation of the
2010 Preakness,
ala the baseball game in Texas.

The stenched filled infeild will be a roped off crime scene.

I'll stay home............ ;)

Similar thing happened during the power outageat the '98 Preakness. The only tellers able to punch a ticket were in the old granstand (as far as I know) and folks were searching out others in line to make bets for them. Turned into a friggin nightmare and in the line next to me , a serious fight broke out.

I bet the last 3 or 4 races and left. I will Never go the Preakness again. It is a zoo; and the Kentucky Derby isn't much better, IMO.

KingChas
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
1990 Summer Squall was my last Preakness.
Seats in the old grandstand beautiful day and view for spectating purposes.
As for betting,so crowded I had to bet the entire race card before it started.
Tough way to bet,breaking even is a victory.
Thanks to Squall & an unknown gray,named Lone or Gray Wolf,can't remember.He was trained by Richie(Dick) Allen's (baseball) brother.
I had a pretty good day,great lifetime memories.
But with the crowd, that was enough for me. ;)

turfbar
03-24-2010, 10:46 AM
First of all that's what they were serving in Ohio in the 70's and can you imagine the lines for water 'd down draft beer.The kidz will be getting ripped off and I agree litenen up.

Turfbar

philofbelloni
03-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Is Belmont a better take? My party days are mostly behind me at the ripe old age of 35 having had diabetes for 30 years. Coming from Boston, I could potentially go to and from Belmont same day. I want to go to one of the big 3 within the next two years. The Derby is a bit too far and pricey with the flight. Tradition aside, I'd love nothing more than to see the BC at Belmont in 2011.

KingChas
03-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Is Belmont a better take?

Definately,
If mother nature plays fair.
No rain....please.... :)

cj's dad
03-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Is Belmont a better take? My party days are mostly behind me at the ripe old age of 35 having had diabetes for 30 years. Coming from Boston, I could potentially go to and from Belmont same day. I want to go to one of the big 3 within the next two years. The Derby is a bit too far and pricey with the flight. Tradition aside, I'd love nothing more than to see the BC at Belmont in 2011.

Get it over with by doing all 3 in the same year. KD- stay in Indiana, just across the Ohio River, Preakness 2 weeks later- plenty of reasonable hotels on the outskirts of town - parking sucks though; be prepared to pay $35-$50, it's easier to drive into town and get a cab, but the Belmont is the best and easiest by far.

I did all 3 in the same year twice- never again; but they are memories I will always have.

philofbelloni
03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks!!!

thespaah
03-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Oh btw, got a wee trivia question for ya: where/how did ZZ Top get their name?Good business for local taxis and car services.
Where most people see problems, some of us see opportunity.

bisket
03-24-2010, 06:10 PM
i watched affirmed and alydar fight it out in the stretch as young boy. the only way i managed to see the race was on my father's shoulder's. it was a thrill for a youngster, but i learned that it wasn't the best day to be at the track. my uncle's advise rings true, "if you like going to the track the preakness isn't the day to be at the track!".

rrpic6
03-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Artax should've run that idiot over. The guy goes out on the track to try and punch an innocent animal?? :bang:

That kid would have been better off. I was near the Security room when they brought him in. He was pummeled, looked like Duk koo Kim in Round 12 vs. Boom Boom Mancini

RR

cj's dad
03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
That kid would have been better off. I was near the Security room when they brought him in. He was pummeled, looked like Duk koo Kim in Round 12 vs. Boom Boom Mancini

RR

Also served jail time and the Baltimore City Jail is no walk in the park as a prison guard friend of mine has recounted many times the "things" that go on there.

Igeteven
03-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Admission to the infield this year will cost $40 in advance, and $50 on the day of the Preakness, Pimlico said.

Any member going????

cj's dad
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Admission to the infield this year will cost $40 in advance, and $50 on the day of the Preakness, Pimlico said.

Any member going????

Have you ever been to the infield ??

Igeteven
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Have you ever been to the infield ??

Hell no, I live in California, I am watching this on HD TV

cj's dad
03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Hell no, I live in California, I am watching this on HD TV

How the heck would I know where you live ?? I was just trying to alert you to what a zoo it is, if you were thinking about attending.

bigmack
03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
How the heck would I know where you live ?? I was just trying to alert you to what a zoo it is, if you were thinking about attending.
Lighten up man.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Is it all you can drink, or is it all you can keep down? :eek:

"Is your buddy sick?" "No, he's just trying to find the car" "BUIIIICK!!!"

Igeteven
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM

I live 26 miles from Santa Anita, I play on line, as of now, I will not go to any track and pay their ridiculous fees to park, get in, eat, etc, to place a bet on a horse

no offense taken, and I hope I didn't offend you.

Lester

PhantomOnTour
03-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Any member going????
I will miss the Preakness this year for the first time since 1999...ailing relative. My brother and I always take a stroll into the infield, if only for a few minutes. It is dangerous though...flying beer cans (full beer cans) can he hazardous. Looking forward to Preakness 2011 and my 10mins of danger in the infield!