PDA

View Full Version : Ever bet the wrong horse and win big?

Igeteven
03-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Several times, I have gone to the window and told the teller the wrong horse number or numbers, and hit the damn thing

The biggest one for me was a $328.00 daily double at Del Mar.

What was your biggest blunder you did and how much did it pay.

therussmeister
03-22-2010, 02:01 AM
$1,000

Wanted to bet $100 on a 2/1, wound up betting on a 10/1 first time starter. Discovered my mistake just as the last horse was going into the gate. The 10/1 horse stumbled at the break, got away 5 lengths behind the field, made a big move on the turn, then flattened out about 1 1/2 lengths behind the leader. The leader tired badly the last 50 yards, my horse had a little left and just barely got up.

I am very unemotional at the track. If you are sitting next to me you couldn't tell if I won, lost, or didn't bet. But when my mistake horse won I laughed hysterically for about 5 minutes.

TJDave
03-22-2010, 02:48 AM
1993 Breeder's cup. I bet our syndicates pick seven and the teller mistakenly added an additional horse, #11 in the last race...Arcangues. We cut up 1.2 million.

Here's the kicker:

Turns out that the only other ticket was also placed in error...Same horse. We could have had the whole pool.

letswastemoney
03-22-2010, 03:17 AM
1993 Breeder's cup. I bet our syndicates pick seven and the teller mistakenly added an additional horse, #11 in the last race...Arcangues. We cut up 1.2 million.

Here's the kicker:

Turns out that the only other ticket was also placed in error...Same horse. We could have had the whole pool.You didn't check the bet and complain that he added Arcangues? Or perhaps there wasn't enough time

Igeteven
03-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Here's the kicker:

Turns out that the only other ticket was also placed in error...Same horse. We could have had the whole pool.

??????????????????????????

MickJ26
03-22-2010, 11:44 AM
It didn't happen to me, but, it did happen to my father. He forgot to turn the page in the program. He couldn't understand why this horse was 20-1 when he looked like he towered over the field. He bet $50. to win and cashed $1200. He didn't realise his mistake until the race caller was calling his horse by a different name.

the little guy
03-22-2010, 11:48 AM
I have a friend who once won over $22K in a Pick-3 where he mispunched in the second leg.....and got put up on a DQ in the third leg.

cj's dad
03-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Here's the kicker:

Just curious - how much extra $$$ did it cost your "syndicate" when the teller added one more entry to a pick 7 ticket.

onefast99
03-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I once bet the 7 horse at Saratoga the teller gave me the 7 at MP. I quickly ran back to the window as the MP horses were in the gate, too late, the 7 at MP won at 16/1.

Robert Goren
03-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I got a $800+ daily double once when I bet the post positions instead of the program numbers. It was in 1967 when I was in college. It was a lot of money me back then. Hell, it is a pretty good hunk for me now.;)

Igeteven
03-22-2010, 12:39 PM
I got a $800+ daily double once when I bet the post positions instead of the program numbers. It was in 1967 when I was in college. It was a lot of money me back then. Hell, it is a pretty good hunk for me now.;)

You bet your life on that one

;)

samyn on the green
03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
No program numbers (http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/2009/07/no-program-numbers.html)

point given
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Betting the Aussie races years ago, I was told about betting the horses getting weight ,so I scoured the program and bet the weight horses in an exacta key box. Turned out the horses werenot getting weight but the exacta came back $1000.

TJDave
03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Just curious - how much extra $$$ did it cost your "syndicate" when the teller added one more entry to a pick 7 ticket.

$144. It was a small saver ticket that won.

Stillriledup
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I made an absolutely monster score by looking at the wrong day's racing form. Realized this about halfway around the track. I bet a 20-1 shot that i thought was the biggest overlay i had ever seen (it was a horse who was 3-1 ML the next day) so i bet huge, i just kept betting and betting, boxing and wheeling. Crushed win bet, exa's tri's supers you name it, i had it, for multiple dollars.

Wickel
03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
On Thanksgiving Day, about seven or eight years ago, I was down to my last $5 in my ADW account and bet a fourth race exacta box at The Fair Grounds. I was disappointed when the combo didn't light the board, but when I checked my account, I had inadvertently bet the exacta box in the fifth race. Needless to say, two longshots rolled across the finish line and I collected a $995 exacta!

Stillriledup
03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
On Thanksgiving Day, about seven or eight years ago, I was down to my last $5 in my ADW account and bet a fourth race exacta box at The Fair Grounds. I was disappointed when the combo didn't light the board, but when I checked my account, I had inadvertently bet the exacta box in the fifth race. Needless to say, two longshots rolled across the finish line and I collected a $995 exacta!

This happened to me one time with an ADW. I advanced bet a bunch of pick 3s and forgot about them only to see by balance BALOONED to some bizarre figure. At first, i thought my ADW messed up and just added a few zeros,but, on further review, i caught this pick 3 and had it like 10 times. Didn't bet this by mistake, but i know the feeling of seeing 'found' money in an ADW.

horses4courses
03-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Made a $1200 score for getting a wrong number years back.....

To be fair to the teller, I'm not sure if I called it wrong, or she punched it wrong.....

Harrah's in Tahoe used to have their own twin quinella. JP started off at $1K, and later went down to $500. Was a really good deal for the player.
Those days are long gone.......

Anyway, I came into work and checked results the next morning.
This was before internet, and fingertip information.
Saw the night track at Bay Meadows had some bomb come in on my TQ second leg.....I still remember the rider's first name was Ingrid.
I wouldn't have played this horse with free money!
My ticket was about 2 feet from the trash can when something stopped me from throwing it away. Check those numbers, I thought. Good thing I did.
Cashed a few hours later for $1200....... :D

JohnGalt1
03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
I played a $40-50 pick 6 ticket at Hollywood. I used the SAM so any error would be mine.

The first 3 legs won when I discovered my singles in the last two legs were inverted.

I won the fourth leg and told the friends I was sitting with I just blew a possible pick six.

Then I won the fifth leg--a six horse stakes race-- so at least would get 5/6. The winning horse was the co-favorite, who I threw out to cut the price of my ticket by 50%. The one I meant to use finished second.

The wrong horse in the last leg--a 10k claiming race-- was a mare who won her last race. If I remember she was now 3 or 4 for 40, and she was a closer. This was when Hollywood had the speed favoring dirt track. Her odds were about 10-1.

She did a $10k version of Zenyatta and circled the field and one by a couple lengths. I collected about $12k.

I'm glad it wasn't the first or only pick six I hit since I got razzed, deservedly so.

Zaf
03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Not a big win but I punched a $5 win ticket in error and the horse paid $75 to win. All my other mis punches have been losers.

Z

Run Nicholas Run
03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
1980 Excelsior Handicap @ Aqueduct.
Wanted to play across the board the
Allen Jerkens trained horse with Jean-luc Samyn Kings Fashion
who had the rail but I called the #1 across the board
well the number 1 was a Poncho Martin entry of
Ring of truth and ring of light, well one of the rings
went wire to wire with cash asmussen at 10-1!!!

Great experience since I was only 15 years old but the mutuel
clerks used to let me bet.

Igeteven
03-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Not a big win but I punched a $5 win ticket in error and the horse paid $75 to win. All my other mis punches have been losers.

Z

Doesn't matter, You WON

:) :) :)