PDA

View Full Version : What race got you hooked on racing?

Zippy Chippy
03-21-2010, 09:05 PM
The first time I ever got butterflies in my stomach and had the feeling of how great horse racing is was the Cigar Dubai race.

Soul of the Matter would have beaten almost anyone else that day. He was so game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER5-uGMCQHo

tzipi
03-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Good thread idea, For me it was A. P. Indy in the Belmont Stakes when I was a kid.

Stillriledup
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
The easy money of course.

twindouble
03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
The first time I ever got butterflies in my stomach and had the feeling of how great horse racing is was the Cigar Dubai race.

Soul of the Matter would have beaten almost anyone else that day. He was so game

Horses like Zippy Chippy. :) Started out at the fairs here in Mass when I was 19.

JustRalph
03-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Whichever one my Dad was headed out to see...............

sonnyp
03-22-2010, 12:47 AM
ok all you old timers. believe it or not, it was the florida triple crown preps between "corn off the cob" and "my dad george".

mostpost
03-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Good thread idea, For me it was A. P. Indy in the Belmont Stakes when I was a kid.
You know what I really hate is some one saying "AP Indy in the Belmont Stakes when I was a kid" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
You're still a kid!
For me, the first race I remember was Hill Gail winning the Kentucky Derby in 1952, but I think what cemented my interest was following Native Dancer in the fall of 1952 and throughout 1953.

appistappis
03-22-2010, 01:42 AM
northern dancer winning kentucky derby as an 9 year old (me, not him)

Johnny V
03-22-2010, 03:53 AM
It wasn't really one race but back in the day there was a weekly N.Y TV racing show hosted by Frank Wright and Charlsie Canty that I used to watch with an uncle who would be cheering on his bet made with a bookmaker. I was just a kid but it was kind of exciting for me as well just watching.
The earliest recollection of a specific race or horses on the show were Kelso and Gun Bow.

CincyHorseplayer
03-22-2010, 04:00 AM

Ironically I got into racing the year Cigar was lighting up the sky.But the race that got me was Sheridan's Abbey over Princess Crisis for a $56.00 exacta at TDN that lit the fire under me!

Only later did I realize the significance of what Cigar was doing and bam,another player was born.

monistee
03-22-2010, 05:01 AM
For me it was watching my Dads horses growing up. But there was one race that got me completely hooked. It was Seattle Slew winning the Kentucky Derby! :ThmbUp:

deathandgravity
03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Sunday Silence :ThmbUp: vs Easy Goer
1989 Breeders Cup Classic

onefast99
03-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Outer Voyage at Monmouth Park in the late 70's. He came from out of the clouds to win. I was hooked after watching him.

SchagFactorToWin
03-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Niatross setting a track record at Buffalo Raceway in June 1980, followed by his record setting trip at Batavia Downs in September 1980.

eastie
03-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Riva Ridge in the derby for me. I cried when BeeBeeBee beat him in the preakness.

Robert Goren
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Miss Risque, a cheap claimer running at Columbus, Ne. in Aug. 1965. My first winner. Although, if the truth be known I was probably hooked before that since I had been following the races in paper all summer.

joanied
03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Zippy...great fun thread:jump:

I guess part of this thread is to let everyone know about how old we are:eek: :D ...
for me it was Carry Back's Kentucky Derby (1961:faint: )...back then, in NY, we had the races on TV every Saturday...it was great...I fell in love with that little blue collar colt and was bouncing off the walls when he won the Derby...I guess it was that very day that got me hooked...but as far as the thread title...it had to be the 1962 Travers...I was a fan of Cicada, and she ran in that Travers...but I also adored Ridan & Jaipur...and IMO, there has never been a Travers like that one before or since...incredible race:ThmbUp:

For all you youngsters...here ya go: (Too bad you can't hear the crowd...but you can hear one of the sports all time great race callers..Fred 'Cappy' Caposella)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rKCAhELwhc

46zilzal
03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Can't recall if it was Tim Tam's quest for the Triple Crown or Shoe's Olden Times ride......

PhantomOnTour
03-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Went to the now paved and condo-ed Jefferson Downs in Kenner, La with my pops ofcourse and hit an exacta with My Mercedes and AJ Magic...riches were just around the corner I thought....IMO Silver Charms' Dubai World Cup was the best. He held off a load of runners, including Loup Sauvage and I think Swain. The trouble line in DRF read, "Repelled all challengers"...that he did, in waves. He was a game sunofagun.

levinmpa
03-22-2010, 04:35 PM
For me it was watching my Dads horses growing up. But there was one race that got me completely hooked. It was Seattle Slew winning the Kentucky Derby! :ThmbUp:

Seattle Slew was the first undefeated Derby winner. I was a teenager and had watched a few Derbys before 1977, but Slew reeled my in. I go to Youtube once in a while and watch some of his races. The '77 Flamingo Stakes at Hialeah was amazing. Slew was so fast. He would run away from horses and keep going. He proved his class in the breeding shed as well. He'll always be my favorite.

46zilzal
03-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Went to the now paved and condo-ed Jefferson Downs in Kenner, La with my pops ofcourse and hit an exacta with My Mercedes and AJ Magic...riches were just around the corner I thought....IMO Silver Charms' Dubai World Cup was the best. He held off a load of runners, including Loup Sauvage and I think Swain. The trouble line in DRF read, "Repelled all challengers"...that he did, in waves. He was a game sunofagun.
Old defunct Jefferson was where John Henry broke his maiden at 4.5 furlongs

Grits
03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
The most recent is Tiznow's 2001 Classic. NEVER had I wanted a horse to win a race so badly. The stretch run between he and Sakhee was one I'll always remember. He just kept coming, again and again, when Sakhee headed him. I was completely blown away by the heart and the guts he showed on that day. His performance was mindboggling, and awesome. And Tom's racecall, in its excitement and joy, matched Tiznow's run. Both still give me chills today every time I watch and listen to the video. He's the only horse whose photo is here on my desk. Tiz was some fine racehorse!!!

joanied
03-22-2010, 05:29 PM
The most recent is Tiznow's 2001 Classic. NEVER had I wanted a horse to win a race so badly. The stretch run between he and Sakhee was one I'll always remember. He just kept coming, again and again, when Sakhee headed him. I was completely blown away by the heart and the guts he showed on that day. His performance was mindboggling, and awesome. And Tom's racecall, in its excitement and joy, matched Tiznow's run. Both still give me chills today every time I watch and listen to the video. He's the only horse whose photo is here on my desk. Tiz was some fine racehorse!!!

"Tiznow wins it for America"....myGod, that was one of the most emotional races of all time...you said it right, Grits...all I have to do is think about that race and I get choked up...I had laringitus for several days after that race...Tiznow was a once in a lifetime race horse...and that one Classic could be the 'moment in time' everyone looks for.

ruffian75
03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Conquistador Cielo's Belmont when I was 13. Drove to Charles Town with my father in a beat up Chevy Chevette to bet him on the simulcast. A great day.

46zilzal
03-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Conquistador Cielo's Belmont when I was 13. Drove to Charles Town with my father in a beat up Chevy Chevette to bet him on the simulcast. A great day.
A virtual sea of mud and the only clean silks in that race.

Grits
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Going further back, like many, I'd have to say . . . Secretariat. Before him, I had never paid any attention to racing because in the Southeast we had little exposure to it except during the Triple Crown, and a few other televised races. After Ruffian's death my interest died altogether; not going back until Charismatic won the Derby, and the Preakness, ultimately breaking down in the Belmont. (This didn't sit well, first back either.):faint:

I was in Lexington for several days in late June/early July. Keeneland was quieter then, not crowded like during race meets. Each morning at sunrise, I went for workouts and stayed until 10 am when they were done. That first morning on the apron, after the renovation break, I saw a big dark bay mare with a female rider up. She was tiny and not a young 20 something rider. She looked to be my age or a little older maybe. I was mesmerized by the woman's skill, her handling of horses she was on along with the bay, and the fact that she was still exercising thoroughbreds. Every morning I saw the rider on the big mare. Watching the relationship between the two for days. I certainly didn't know either the mare, or the rider. And at the time I didn't know trainer's saddle towels. This one was white with only a red star. I left Lexington with no idea who the mare was, or her rider.

The summer passed. Fall came, and on Breeders' Cup Day 1999 at Gulfstream during the saddling for the Distaff, to my amazement, there on the TV screen was the big mare and her exercise rider from Keeneland. I looked down at my program and learned the mare's name. The gate opened and I screamed my brain's out for the one I had watched so many mornings. She hit the wire first. And about three or four minutes later, she, her exercise rider who I learned, at that moment, was also her trainer, her trainer husband and her owners were all in the winners' circle. A few weeks later, she would be named the Older Female in Eclipse Award voting.

Beautiful Pleasure and Donna Ward brought me back to horseracing. And to both, I'll be grateful always.

joanied
03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Back when East vs West really meant something...Belmont Stakes Day, and Majestic Prince was the gorgeous colt from 'Hollywood'...and our Arts and Letters kicked his a$$...I nearly fell out of the Grandstand:jump: (which was absolutley packed)

Horseplayersbet.com
03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I was kidnapped every Saturday by my father who took me to the track when I was 4 until I was 12.
I got brainwashed by tractor tracks between races, and the change my father used to give me every time he cashed a ticket.

Grits
03-22-2010, 06:45 PM
"Tiznow wins it for America"....myGod, that was one of the most emotional races of all time...you said it right, Grits...all I have to do is think about that race and I get choked up...I had laringitus for several days after that race...Tiznow was a once in a lifetime race horse...and that one Classic could be the 'moment in time' everyone looks for.

Joanie, somewhere last night we had a thread about fond memories, I probably should've put this one about Tiz and Beautiful Pleasure in that one as well.

Tiz got me though. Big Time. I was at Keeneland, and tears of joy rolled and rolled down my face.

Tom Durkin did his finest work that hour.

cpitt84
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
rachel's win in the preakness

NikeUnlimited
03-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Real Quiet in the Belmont :(

Dalton
03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
I was at a local simulcast last century betting a Breeders cup. I decided to throw in a long shot called Da Hoss in my 4 horse tri box, not knowing why people didn't like him, and not realizing he hadn't raced in a while. It paid more than I had even wagered in my life.

Dalton
03-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Real Quiet in the Belmont :(

That Belmont opened my eyes a bit. First one I attended live, never considered the possibility that Victory Gallop could actually win. Had him keyed at 2nd in everything... lost all my bets.

Grits
03-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Joanie, somewhere last night we had a thread about fond memories, I probably should've put this one about Tiz and Beautiful Pleasure in that one as well.

Tiz got me though. Big Time. I was at Keeneland, and tears of joy rolled and rolled down my face.

I DID post about Tiz in the "do you have fond memories thread last night. I just found it. I wrote it at 1:37 a.m. in the morning. No wonder I couldn't remember it!
My Lord . . . . no more late night posts, maybe no more late nights, period!:lol:

Vinnie
03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Excellent thread.

What caused me to fall in love with horseracing wasn't one race in particular. I was just learning about how to read the program, etc. based upon an old pen and pencil method (spot play system) called "The Hidden Profit System" that I had purchased back in around 1996 when I made my first outing to check out the races live at unfortunately now defunct Garden State Park near Cherry Hill, N.J.. I stood track side near the finish line for a handful of races, but, I will never forget the first time that I saw those "Big Beautiful Magnificent Creatures" come storming down the stretch. These beautiful animals were so quiet in there movements and I could hardly hear them except the horses taking quick breaths of air due to exerting so much energy in getting around the track that day.

My hair stood up on the back of my neck and the event simply gave me nothing but goosebumps and chills all over. :)

I haven't been the same since.

PaceAdvantage
03-22-2010, 11:59 PM
The race to the betting line...no actual horse race got me hooked...what hooked me was the fact that I had a chance to out-handicap the next guy, pick a winner, and get paid for it...

joanied
03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
rachel's win in the preakness

WOW...Rachel got you hooked...I must be really getting old, old, old:D

eastie
03-23-2010, 01:21 PM
welll Andy, we're waiting..........

joanied
03-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Grits, funny you mentioned Beautiful Pleasure...one of my all time favorites, her being a granddaughter of my Foolish Pleasure...she looked like him, especially her head, she got that same 'expression' when coming down the stretch that Foolish did...scrunched up brow, absolute determination:ThmbUp:

I'd love some updated information on how she is doing with her life as a broodmare...hope it's happy and long...I just adore her.

Durkin's call for Tiznow's 2001 Classic is as great as the one for Cigar's Classic win...talk about getting folks hooked on racing...show them videos of both those races, and if the races & calls don't get someone hooked...nothin' will:jump:

Just for the hell of it...tears & goosebumps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydT4SRxZT1Y (Cigar)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYsb0tUD5s&feature=related (Tiznow)

joanied
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Excellent thread.

What caused me to fall in love with horseracing wasn't one race in particular. I was just learning about how to read the program, etc. based upon an old pen and pencil method (spot play system) called "The Hidden Profit System" that I had purchased back in around 1996 when I made my first outing to check out the races live at unfortunately now defunct Garden State Park near Cherry Hill, N.J.. I stood track side near the finish line for a handful of races, but, I will never forget the first time that I saw those "Big Beautiful Magnificent Creatures" come storming down the stretch. These beautiful animals were so quiet in there movements and I could hardly hear them except the horses taking quick breaths of air due to exerting so much energy in getting around the track that day.

My hair stood up on the back of my neck and the event simply gave me nothing but goosebumps and chills all over. :)

I haven't been the same since.

And THAT is what should get anyone hooked...well said:ThmbUp:

tzipi
03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Talking about goosebumps. This one always gave me them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbi9VKcR710&feature=related

Hanover1
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
The first race I ever saw..not to mention being born into the sport....

Stevie Belmont
03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
The 1998 Kentucky Derby was a race that really got me going. I knew a little about racing prior to this, by watching the Kentucky Derby and other Triple Crown races on ABC. I remember Easy Goer winning the Belmont Stakes and as a kid, but the 1998 Kentucky Derby was the first Derby I ever made a wager on...

The night before a caller dialed into a local radio sports talk show and indcated that Silver Charm ran in the Santa Anita Derby the year before and Real Quiet was coming into the Derby the sameway for Baffert—that sounded good enough for me.

I headed down to the Meadowlands and bet Real Quiet—watching him win was just absolutley thrilling. Cashed my ticket and that was pretty much it after that...

joanied
03-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Talking about goosebumps. This one always gave me them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbi9VKcR710&feature=related

Yeah, that one was a goosebump race too...except I was crushed that Easy didn't get up in time:faint: ...
here is another one that had to have everyone jumping up & down, hollerin' and getting teary eyed all at the same time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2ByoMBq6k Hint...there is a statue erected to honor this fighting finish!!

tzipi
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that one was a goosebump race too...except I was crushed that Easy didn't get up in time:faint: ...
here is another one that had to have everyone jumping up & down, hollerin' and getting teary eyed all at the same time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2ByoMBq6k Hint...there is a statue erected to honor this fighting finish!!

Funny I was watching that race last night. John Henry just kept digging to the wire. Surely a goosebump race :ThmbUp:

Sericm
04-16-2010, 02:53 PM
San Felipe Handicap 1967: Rising Market with Laffit Pincay up.
Went gate to wire. Paid 27.80 and I had $20.00 to win on him.
$278.00 smackeroo's. Last winning bet I ever made. LOL

Went out and bought a bunch of Handicapping books and never looked back.

Sericm

hazzardm
04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
The very first one ;)

kid4rilla
04-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Back when I used TVG, you could only deposit once per day. I had exhausted my funds and couldn't redeposit.

I wanted to bet Sakhee so bad, I jumped in the car and drove to CD (about 10 miles) with about 20 minutes to post. I got a large win bet down on Sakhee, and keyed him in exotics. :(

Loved Tiznow, but that is what I remember most when I think of him.

The race that got me really hooked was on a run-of-the-mill Wednesday. I was at CD for the Handicapping Contest on the old 5th floor Twin Spires area (still my favorite horseracing spot). It was a nw1 race and I loved a horse at 8:1 named Hattiesburg - he was the 5 horse. I was sitting around a large group of fun, loud handicappers who were all on other horses but ignoring this horse that I thought was a standout. Now my nature is to get into the spitballing, but this day I thought I'd keep it under my hat.

As I got up to go to the window, there was a VERY old gentleman close by who I wasn't sure was even paying attention. He quietly said, "I don't know why you wouldn't bet this 5."

I looked over at him, put my finger to my lips - SHHHHHHH

The 5 won the race, and I guess it sticks in my mind as the first time I really thought I could see what the others, who I really respected, couldn't. (I'm over this now :))

It was just me and the wise old character who were in the know that particular time.

5k-claim
04-16-2010, 05:46 PM
For me, there is no race or event that ever got me hooked on racing in general, or handicapping and betting. But I remember like it was yesterday the race that finally pushed me over the edge into working with horses, and getting my hands on them.

I went to the races frequently in the years before the 1991 Breeders Cup, but would not really described myself as "hooked". Arazi changed all of that with a performance that had me so charged up that I literally couldn't sit down for about 10 minutes after the race, and had to just keep pacing back and forth until I could finally calm down. I didn't have a dime bet on the race, but I kept asking myself the questions, "What must it be like to wake up in the morning and be one of the 2 or 3 people in the world who are closest to a horse like that? What does that feel like?"

All of these years later I still do not have the answer to that question. But I am still asking it, and still trying to find out.

(And yes I know the world is full of great handicappers who bought new cars, financed their homes and retired early by betting against him in the Derby, because I have heard all of that talk for years.... and never cared. Arazi will always be special to me.)

Overlay
04-16-2010, 06:23 PM
From a handicapping standpoint, a non-descript race in the 1977-1978 time frame at Arlington Park won by a filly named Minnie Riperton (after the singer). The race conditions were written for non-winners of a race since a given date; she was the only entrant with a win on the cutoff date; and I had just been reading about the importance of noting the race conditions in one of the first titles I ever bought about handicapping. (I believe it was Eliminate the Losers, Pick the Winners by Bob McKnight in the old Wilshire Books series of paperback handicapping titles.) Coincidental and corny, perhaps, but that conjunction of circumstances at that early point in my study of handicapping convinced me that races could be successfully analyzed by applying rational, systematic criteria to published performance data. That's all it took to get an ISTJ personality type like me hooked for life!

Zippy Chippy
01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Cigar Dubai for me. The sport had me... No other sport could ever, or will ever make me feel like Horse racing does when there is a great horse.

I thought Soul of the Matter had him. IT would have been devastating. What a race that was. It wasn't televised, and we were on vacation, my father found an OTB and we went there to watch it.

Also we will all have to have a beer w/ Cigar in less than 3 mos (21st birthday coming up, crazy)

toussaud
01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Concerns Arkansas Derby

Zippy Chippy
01-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Concerns Arkansas Derby

I dont think ive ever seen that race before. Great race. Just watched it.

Dahoss9698
01-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Didn't you already ask this?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68031

Charlie D
01-22-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ya2HPJpyI

Zippy Chippy
01-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Didn't you already ask this?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68031

Its funny i was thinking about this and wondering if i already asked it, but didn't have time to go back and look. Glad u do :lol:

toussaud
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I dont think ive ever seen that race before. Great race. Just watched it.
I was 9 and that was my first time ever going to the horse track. Was hooked.

depalma113
01-22-2011, 05:02 PM
John Henry and The Bart

Dahoss9698
01-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Its funny i was thinking about this and wondering if i already asked it, but didn't have time to go back and look. Glad u do :lol:
Lots of great racing going on today all across the country. You should check some of it out

jagerfury
01-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Giacamo's win at the Derby. I was in Vegas for a wedding. Purchased "Betting On Horse Racing For Dummies", and hit an 18-1 shot at Hollywood Park. Most exciting Derby race ever, everyone was in it at the turn. Place was going nuts :)

Broad Brush
01-23-2011, 10:03 AM
I was always a fan but the 1978 Suburban, when I was 15, was it for me.
It was the first time I was ever at Belmont and the mighty Forego was to run.
I had only watched him on tv growing up in Cleveland.
It was July 4th but it was rainy and about 60dg. I was worried all day because I was afraid they would scratch him because of the sloppy track and I would not get to see him. The NY fans were brutal--booing A. Cordero wether he lost or won all day long.

Finally the race came and he was going to run! A huge cheer went up as Forego entered the paddock and did not stop until he went to the track. I bet Cox's Ridge
but all I did was watch and root for Forego during the race. They ran last and
next to last. My dad said "lets go down and see Forego come back". I wasn't
sure I wanted to--I was afraid that the NY fans would boo him and I could not take that. We ran down there anyway. He came back with his head down and he was all muddy. The exact opposite of what I feared happened. Everybody was cheering loudly for Forego. The winner of the race was pretty much ignored it was all about the "mighty one". Nobody knew it at the time, but that was his last race. It was more than 30 years ago but I can remember it like it was yesterday.

BetCrazyGirl
01-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Bob Black Jack in the Santa Anita Derby, yes I know he didn't win but it was an exciting race to watch when he made another charge down the stretch (obviously he was a horse I had LOL). It was also the first race that I can recall watching live at the track, I'm sure Ive been to the track when I was really really little, but I hardly remember, I was to young. I was more into the ducks or geeses at one of the tracks when like around 5 or something, thats the only thing I can recall at that age about horse racing.

Investorater
01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Bob Black Jack in the Santa Anita Derby, yes I know he didn't win but it was an exciting race to watch when he made another charge down the stretch (obviously he was a horse I had LOL). It was also the first race that I can recall watching live at the track, I'm sure Ive been to the track when I was really really little, but I hardly remember, I was to young. I was more into the ducks or geeses at one of the tracks when like around 5 or something, thats the only thing I can recall at that age about horse racing.

There-ya-go! BetCrazyGirl There-ya-go!

dnlgfnk
01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
As an 10 year old often accompanying my father to Fairmount or Cahokia...
The first race, 1st half of the double from 3M's board game of the late 60's. Nothing Special was the eternal 5/2 stalking favorite in the 6f dash, but could (rarely) be upset by 15/1 speedball Hold On Harry, or the late closing Eight Ball, in the 6 horse fields.
A roll of two dice determined who moved first for each furlong (green die). A horse was credited with a certain amount of squares per furlong, determined by his running style and ability, and also had a bonus number for an additional 3 squares per dice roll. The favorites had the more common bonus rolls, and an apprentice rider was credited with an additional 2 squares to be used once but could only manuever 1 lane in or out each furlong, vs a veteran jockey's 2 lane change capability. The track in squares accounted for ground loss on turns, with passing lanes strategically spotted in the various 6 lane track.
One could purchase the horses before each race at auction, claim foul, etc.
Pure joy.

keithw84
01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Went with some friends to the Kentucky Derby in 2008. The guy we were staying with in Louisville didn't come with us, but he asked us to place a bet for him: Exacta on Big Brown-Eight Belles!

I placed an Ex Box on Pyro-Colonel John. Of course, we were in the infield partying all day, and didn't see too much of the races... didn't even realize what happened to Eight Belles until we got back to the guy's house.

The next few days, I watched the replay of the Derby on YouTube - particularly the stretch run - countless times. I kept going back to where the field rounded the far turn to see where BB and EB emerged from the pack.