PDA

View Full Version : Quick official

ronsmac
03-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Nearly 20 yrs ago, racetracks started to go to the quick official to limit the time between races. Previously all jocks had to weigh out before the race was declared official. Yet here we are all these yrs. later and So Cal still has 32, 33 and sometimes 34 minutes between races. 25 minutes should be the Max.

andymays
03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Nearly 20 yrs ago, racetracks started to go to the quick official to limit the time between races. Previously all jocks had to weigh out before the race was declared official. Yet here we are all these yrs. later and So Cal still has 32, 33 and sometimes 34 minutes between races. 25 minutes should be the Max.

They are desperate to max out the handle. Some call it the "Caliente Shuffle". Agua Caliente used to do that for the fabulous 5-10 which was the original pick 6.

I think I was one of the last guys to get DQ'd for a Jockey weighing out light. The quick official eliminates that possibility.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-09/sports/sp-4324_1_horse-racing

Excerpt:

Today in San Mateo, Ricky Frazier, the jockey who started the Final Fourteen with 126 pounds and came back about two minutes later weighing only 123 1/2, will try to explain the discrepancy to Bay Meadows' stewards. Crash dieters hope to learn something from the testimony.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frazier Gets 6-Month Ban for Weight Infraction - Los Angeles Times
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-12-02/sports/sp-8117_1_ricky-frazier

startngate
03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Actually there really isn't that long between races when looking at the big picture in CA.

In CA they alternate posts between Northern and Southern California, much like Ohio does with the 7/7 program. A race goes off every 15 or so minutes.

The timing is intential. Given that, I suppose the quick official isn't necessary.

Robert Goren
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I wish more tracks would do that.

Tom
03-21-2010, 03:19 PM
What, alternate with Northern California?