PDA

View Full Version : Ed-u-ma-cation

Suff
07-10-2003, 08:15 PM
If your curious where your State Stacks up now that the Education system is becoming "nationaly standardized".

The US Govt Just released its National Report card, and compares and Ranks each states 4th, 8th and 12th grades. They use the standards schools are required to follow for Federal funding.

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/

I was drawn to it due to Massachusetts scoring #1 in 4th grade and #2 in 8th grade. Its gotten considerable headlines here.

http://www.boston.com/news/daily/10/mass_education.htm

BillW
07-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Hmmm D.C. appears to rank the lowest. They must be testing Congress.

sq764
07-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Good think Manny Ramirez wasn't included.. He sure would have skewed the rankings..

Lefty
07-11-2003, 10:39 PM
The education system has become a joke since the advent of the teachers union. Junk the whole damn system and give vouchers to every kid. In my day you could get a good education in public schools; that day is over, thanks to the worst President ever, Jimmy Carter.

Tom
07-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Very sad to see the coming generation struggling to fill an order of a burger and fries. Our future looks bleak thanks to the horrible school system we have, being bred by worthless teachers. Used to mean something to be a teacher.

sq764
07-12-2003, 01:36 PM
How can you blame it all on teachers? I think its because of lazy and uninterested parents.

Amazes me when parents expect school to basically raise their child. There has to be some participation at home.

Tom
07-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by sq764
How can you blame it all on teachers? I think its because of lazy and uninterested parents.

Amazes me when parents expect school to basically raise their child. There has to be some participation at home.

I agree it is the parents responsibility, but today, we are seeing more and more teachers taht are lazy and "pass along" students.
They are more concerned with teaching kids what to think instead of how to think. What we need is minimum performance testing and frequent intervals-with totally objective standards requried by students. No grading on a curve, you have a goal and if you don't meet it, you don't move on.
In Rochester NY, they just threw out the results of a Regents final in math because too many students failed it!
65% of the students failed.
What does this say about the 35% that passed!
Also, this exam was given to HS sophomores.
In nearby PalMac, an eigth grade class passed it - 100%!
Two years before they have to take it!

Lefty
07-12-2003, 10:43 PM
What was that deal in Mass a few yrs ago? Something like 57% of teachers couldn't pass the tests. Not a one was fired because of the teachers union. Yes there are good teachers but the union and all this crazy equal outcome stuff fostered by the libs are making it impossible for them to be effective as they should be.