PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead and Dutrow..

only11
03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Radiohead ran like the rumors of him having a quarter crack,off the 56 4f work on turf..
My question is why would Dutrow run and risk injury on his horse?

Brogan
03-20-2010, 07:16 PM
No

Brogan
03-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Despite his many problems and issues (real or otherwise), Ricky is a seriously good horseman.

only11
03-20-2010, 07:18 PM
No
NO what?

only11
03-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Despite his many problems and issues (real or otherwise), Ricky is a seriously good horseman.
Didnt he run BB in the Belmont with a quarter crack @1 1/2?

Brogan
03-20-2010, 08:06 PM
NO what?
My bad...kinda misread the question.

But the answer remains essentially the same...he wouldn't run a horse at risk to an injury from a known pre-existing condition.

OTM Al
03-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Her ran like a horse coming out of the 11 hole in a 1 1/8 m race at GP. Had to do too much too early to get some sort of position and didn't have enough to stay there.

Brogan
03-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Didnt he run BB in the Belmont with a quarter crack @1 1/2?
Yup...horse didn't run a lick, but didn't suffer any injury either.

WinterTriangle
03-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Her ran like a horse coming out of the 11 hole in a 1 1/8 m race at GP. Had to do too much too early to get some sort of position and didn't have enough to stay there.

However, in the KY Derby, 20 post positions, and we saw what a guy like Sea the Stars did in a big field with obstacles.

Who knows how these youngsters will be able to overcome? We don't know until we see it and they surprise.

So-----He didn't overcome his obstacle today. Let's see what he does next.

OTM Al
03-21-2010, 08:32 AM
However, in the KY Derby, 20 post positions, and we saw what a guy like Sea the Stars did in a big field with obstacles.

Who knows how these youngsters will be able to overcome? We don't know until we see it and they surprise.

So-----He didn't overcome his obstacle today. Let's see what he does next.

Miniscule run to the first turn due to bad planning laying out the oval. Big disadvantage to any horse outside the 6 hole, which means Ice Box and Rule both did an extremely good job to wind up where they did. This is a wholly different circumstance than what you are talking about.

Spalding No!
03-21-2010, 10:39 AM

More like he ran like a horse coming out of the 1 hole in a 1 1/2 mile race at Belmont.

That horse was essentially pulled up entering the stretch and looked horrendous crossing the wire.

joanied
03-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I mentioned that I tossed out Radiohead...but I beleive he really had too much to overcome in this race...and, IMO, Dutrow doesn't run a hurting horse.

Robert Goren
03-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I mentioned that I tossed out Radiohead...but I beleive he really had too much to overcome in this race...and, IMO, Dutrow doesn't run a hurting horse.Well, not a good one anyway.;)

castaway01
03-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Miniscule run to the first turn due to bad planning laying out the oval. Big disadvantage to any horse outside the 6 hole, which means Ice Box and Rule both did an extremely good job to wind up where they did. This is a wholly different circumstance than what you are talking about.

It's very difficult to win at that distance from the 11 post at Gulf unless you're much the best, while obviously horses win from the auxillary gate at the Derby all the time, so, yes, you're exactly right.

only11
03-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I mentioned that I tossed out Radiohead...but I beleive he really had too much to overcome in this race...and, IMO, Dutrow doesn't run a hurting horse.
Joanie i luv ya.. but wasnt Big Brown hurt before the Belmont with a quarter crack almost cost the horse his career if not for KD

Brogan
03-21-2010, 03:44 PM
A quarter crack can be a managable problem.

joanied
03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Joanie i luv ya.. but wasnt Big Brown hurt before the Belmont with a quarter crack almost cost the horse his career if not for KD

Well, that is something that no one ever got an answer to...Dutrow & Co. never said what made BB run like he did...you can only go by what was said before the Belmont...that the quarter crack was 'healed' up...and it's my opinion his feet had nothing to do with what happened...I believe it was lost at the start...BB's spooking, getting pulled back, getting tangled up and having that shoe pulled half off...BB felt something wrong with that foot, something under his foot hurt...then Kent decided to play it safe and pull him up...
so, and I'm glad :) ya luv me...because I still say Dutrow doesn't run a hurting horse.

Robert Fischer
03-21-2010, 04:21 PM

In the Belmont Big Brown got stepped on at the break by a horse called Guadal Canal. It bent his shoe down.

only11
03-21-2010, 06:09 PM
In the Belmont Big Brown got stepped on at the break by a horse called Guadal Canal. It bent his shoe down.
he had a issue before the race,,that just added to it..a quarter crack can be manage but that was his 3rd race in 5 weeks and the last being 1 1/2

joanied
03-21-2010, 06:48 PM
he had a issue before the race,,that just added to it..a quarter crack can be manage but that was his 3rd race in 5 weeks and the last being 1 1/2

Well, 3rd race in 5 weeks is what the Triple Crown is all about...I love Big Brown, but the 3 races in 5 weeks just isn't a good excuse...besides, he already has good excuses for the fiasco...his race was lost at the break.

Spalding No!
03-21-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm with you on this one.

Dutrow admitted the horse had a quarter crack in a pre-race interview. While it can be "managed", its hardly an ideal issue to have to deal with on top of a huge race.

Anyone who followed the careers of Big Brown, Old Trieste, Unbridled's Song, and Quality Road (to name but a few) knows its hit or miss whether or not the horse runs to form.

I'm not sure why you're getting so much resist on this thread considering Radiohead, who hadn't really run a bad race in an 8-race career, was absolutely humiliated (and basically pulled up) in one of the worst Florida Derbies of all time. Clearly something was amiss.

Hanover1
03-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Imo the "issue" was racing without Winstrol........

egreen
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=Spalding No!]I'm with you on this one.

Dutrow admitted the horse had a quarter crack in a pre-race interview. While it can be "managed", its hardly an ideal issue to have to deal with on top of a huge race.

I got tweets Saturday morning from @derbycontenders stating that Dutrow not only admitted the quarter crack issue but also claimed Radiohead had jammed his ankle in his grass work. That seems like much to overcome in the 5-10 days before the Florida Derby.

Spalding No!
03-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I got tweets Saturday morning from @derbycontenders stating that Dutrow not only admitted the quarter crack issue but also claimed Radiohead had jammed his ankle in his grass work. That seems like much to overcome in the 5-10 days before the Florida Derby.

Thanks. Makes Radiohead's 16-length drubbing look a bit more significant than a mere "he can't get the distance" write-off.

And from a larger perspective, coupled with the preposterous Homeboykris plan of entering the Derby off an allowance defeat and 3 months rest, it exposes the lengths Dutrow will go to to get another horse to the Derby.

joanied
03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=Spalding No!]I'm with you on this one.

Thanks for this new information...'jamming' an ankle could be problematic, no doubt...maybe Radio WAS a hurting horse...now it seems to me that they shoulda left him in the barn...may turn out to be a huge mistake racing him in there, and it obvioulsy did him no good at all.
:bang: