PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my meadowlands trip!

Zippy Chippy
03-20-2010, 12:28 PM
So next weekend I was going to take the girl to NYC and meadowlands. Are they anywhere near eachother? Leaving Boston noon Friday. Trying to decide which day to do the city and which night the big m. Also once I get there any suggestions where to sit? Hotel, restaurants? Any info appreciated

sonnyp
03-20-2010, 03:13 PM
if you enjoy harness racing and "big time everything" you're in for a wonderful weekend.

its hard to reccomend not knowing your tastes or price range, but either bargain brand or ridiculously expensive will be available.

first suggestion, don't try to do too much ! you'll just get frustrated.(i'll bet you'll be going back).

start with www.thebigm.com under "visitor info".

second suggestion, stay in jersey near the track. you will be, literally, a short ride on rte.3 (5 miles ?) and a trip thru the lincoln tunnel from the heart of manhattan, 42nd. street. the key, and i mean key is rush hour traffic.

as far as the track, saturday nite at the meadowlands is the greatest harness racing anywhere in the world, don't miss it.

it's been a while, but for italian, "jerry's" up on the hill in rutherford, n.j. was great. very close to the track.

as far as n.y.c., anything you're looking for and the best of it.....bring your wallet !!!!

sports, museums, theater, fashion, multi-culture (little italy, chinatown), sightseeing, restaurants, music (the village) it's all there.

you'll have a great, great time. don't fight traffic and don't try to do too much !!!

Zippy Chippy
03-20-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm excited! Thought meadowlands was far from Manhattan

sonnyp
03-20-2010, 04:05 PM
you could hit it with a thrown rock. that's why they reclaimed that jersey swamp....location, location, location !!!!

sonnyp
03-20-2010, 04:13 PM
bye the way, when u go to manhattan......as soon as you exit the lincoln tunnel park in the "port authority" (greyhound bus etc.) building public parking.
go down stairs and take cabs. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE IN MANHATTAN !!!
BRUTAL !!!! NO PARKING ETC.

Zman179
03-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I beg to differ with SonnyP, DO NOT stay in Jersey.

Most of your time will be spent in Manhattan so that's where you should stay. Hungry at 3 am? Pop out of your Manhattan hotel, go 'round the corner, BOOM! 24 hour spot to grab a bite! Plus you can walk around, converse with your gf, and see some sites late at night without the crowds, then hit the hotel when you're done walking; the city is generally safe so no worries. Can't do that in Jersey, you are in the middle of nowhere. And ohhhhh the logjams at the Lincoln Tunnel from NJ to NY. :faint: :faint: There have been many times where I've waited over an hour in traffic just to get to the tunnel. Not only that, but each round-trip will set you back $8 in tolls. If you'll be in the NYC area for two days, the majority of your time will be spent in the city, and maybe 3-4 hours at the Meadowlands. BTW, the drive between the city and Med is not more than 15 minutes from the West Side.

Parking in Manhattan is just as bad, if not worse, than Boston. It all depends on which hotel you choose. Generally speaking, parking in Midtown doesn't start freeing up until 7 pm between 34th St & 66th St, 6 pm in the teens, 20's, and high 60's +. On street parking before 6 pm Friday is simply not an option in Midtown, everything is No Standing except for Commercial Vehicles. Weekend parking is pretty good (Saturdays you pay the meter, Sundays are free). Of course you can park in the pay lots, but you're talking about $40 per night and the clock starts all over again once you leave the lot. If your city hotel has flat day rate valet parking, I'd jump all over it.

If I were you, I'd go to the Meadowlands on Saturday night. Your girlfriend will probably be a little tired after doing so much sightseeing, and she might appreciate the downtime at the track. Plus it's the Meadowlands best night of the week.

One last thing, NYC roads have always been brutal on your car; we have the worst kempt roads in the country with streets littered with bumps and potholes, but the pothole situation after our heavy snows has been absolutely horrible! If you're not careful, you WILL get a flat. I love my Lexus and it pains me to drive it in Manhattan; I live in Queens and I only drive into Manhattan when I absolutely, positively have to. You WILL see what I mean.

Also, there is no civility on our roads; it is every man for himself out there. So expect to be cut off numerous times, have other drivers cut the line, have people riding up your rear fender, be honked at if you haven't moved the car after the signal has been green for more than a second, and all that other wonderful stuff.

NYC has a great subway system that will get you anywhere in the city (below 96th St) faster than a car can. Stick with the train and you'll be fine. Trust me, I've lived in NYC for 35 years.

Zippy Chippy
03-21-2010, 02:02 PM
awesome. thx for all the advice!! ill send trip report w/ pics

Teach
03-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Zippy Chippy,

I read where you're takin' "the doll" to both "The Big Apple" and "The Big M". A couple years ago, I visited The Meadowlands to take part in a handicapping contest. On that occasion (I was lookin' to go "el-cheapo"), I stayed at a EconoLodge Motel at 395 Washington Ave. in Carlstadt, NJ (next town over from the Meadowlands); you coulda practically thrown a rock to the Meadowlands from the motel (just a couple hundred yards down Washington Ave.).

The motel (you can find it on the Internet) is nuthin to write home about (I was all alone at the time; I coulda cared less). The room was adequate. The bed was adequate. Everything about the place was mediocre. So, if you're lookin to impress someone...Fuhgettaboutit! The place -- from my point of view -- had a kinda creepy feel to it. Again, for what I needed, I coulda cared less. I do remember there was a TV, but that's the only amenity I can remember. There's an under-the-motel parking area. It was adequate; yet I was certain that I alarmed my car.

As mentioned, you can find this exact motel on the Internet. There are a host of reviews. I believe I paid about $70 plus tax for the one night (I was payin' for proximity).

When I drove down (I live just outside Boston) I took the MassPike to Sturbridge and the Route #84 past Hartford. I then took the Wilbur-Cross Parkway that took me into New York. I looked for signs for the George Washington Bridge (going over to New Jersey is free; on the way back the "vig" is $8).

If you're thinking of this EconoLodge motel, you cross the George Washington, stay on the New Jersey Turnpike and head south on the New Jersey Turnpike (Route #95); you get off at Rte #46 Winant Ave. (it becomes Sylvan Ave) and proceed about one mile and a half to Liberty Street on your left (be careful, it sneaks up on you). South on Liberty Street (it becomes Moonachie Rd, and then Washington Ave,) The trip south on Liberty Rd. to the motel is about three or four miles.

One final thought, everything in New York is tres expensive. The motto of New Yorkers is: "We don't do anything unless we're tipped". Have plenty of singles and pocket change.

Teach

Zman179
03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
The motel (you can find it on the Internet) is nuthin to write home about (I was all alone at the time; I coulda cared less). The room was adequate. The bed was adequate. Everything about the place was mediocre. So, if you're lookin to impress someone...Fuhgettaboutit! The place -- from my point of view -- had a kinda creepy feel to it. Again, for what I needed, I coulda cared less. I do remember there was a TV, but that's the only amenity I can remember. There's an under-the-motel parking area. It was adequate; yet I was certain that I alarmed my car.

As mentioned, you can find this exact motel on the Internet. There are a host of reviews. I believe I paid about $70 plus tax for the one night (I was payin' for proximity).

When I drove down (I live just outside Boston) I took the MassPike to Sturbridge and the Route #84 past Hartford. I then took the Wilbur-Cross Parkway that took me into New York. I looked for signs for the George Washington Bridge (going over to New Jersey is free; on the way back the "vig" is $8).

If you're thinking of this EconoLodge motel...

Chicks don't dig Econo-anything.

And I fully agree, take the MassPike > I-84 > CT-15 > I-91 route via Hartford. You'll save 30 minutes over taking the I-95 all the way. If I don't make a stop, I'll make the Bronx in exactly 3 hours doing 77 mph in the 65 mph areas and 65 in the 55's. It's from the Bronx to Manhattan/New Jersey where you could lose some time due to tieups.

As far as this info goes, I'll send you an address to send the tip. :D

Pacingguy
03-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Have you and/or the 'girl' been to NYC before? If not, stay in the city; do it right (especially if the 'girl' is or has the potential of becoming the Mrs. Zippy Chippy) :)

If for some reason you are staying in New Jersey, here be aware of the following:

If you decide to go to Yonkers Raceway on Friday night, go early and spend time in the slot parlor or have a relaxing dinner. The George Washington Bridge going into the city is a nightmare on Friday (and Saturday night); the GWB empties out onto the Cross Bronx Expressway where there seems to be an unwritten rule there must be an accident on causing a backup all the way back into New Jersey on to the approaches to the bridge in New Jersey.

If you decide to stay in Northern Bergen county to get a more suburban 'feel', beware of Route 17. It is worse on Saturdays, it can make rush hour look like a breeze. You need to plan on leaving extra time to get to the Meadowlands.

sonnyp
03-21-2010, 06:08 PM
i stated before that its hard to suggest not knowing tastes and price range.
i assumed manhattan would be a day trip saturday with the track fri and sat nite. traffic sat. into the city and out in late afternoon won't be a problem.

the basic equation is dollars. anything you do in the city will be big, big $$$$'s.

massman
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey Zippy,

I just did that trip and got home about 30 minutes ago. I went to a conference today. I stayed in Jersey at a Red Roof Inn less than 10 minutes from BigM, went by myself so I got the cheapest room. Go to the Pegasus Room for dinner, they are only open on Saturdays I was told. 35 bucks for a buffet - food was great. I don't like prime rib but it was cooked perfectly. If you plan on betting multi tracks go down to clubhouse where you are pretty much by yourself. If you want to be around more people go to the paddock level, plenty of people and betting machines

Zippy Chippy
03-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Have you and/or the 'girl' been to NYC before? If not, stay in the city; do it right (especially if the 'girl' is or has the potential of becoming the Mrs. Zippy Chippy) :)

If for some reason you are staying in New Jersey, here be aware of the following:

If you decide to go to Yonkers Raceway on Friday night, go early and spend time in the slot parlor or have a relaxing dinner. The George Washington Bridge going into the city is a nightmare on Friday (and Saturday night); the GWB empties out onto the Cross Bronx Expressway where there seems to be an unwritten rule there must be an accident on causing a backup all the way back into New Jersey on to the approaches to the bridge in New Jersey.

If you decide to stay in Northern Bergen county to get a more suburban 'feel', beware of Route 17. It is worse on Saturdays, it can make rush hour look like a breeze. You need to plan on leaving extra time to get to the Meadowlands.

We haven't been to NYC together yet. We are simple and dont need to have expensive dinners/hotels. we are looking up now where to stay.

badcompany
03-22-2010, 12:19 AM
If you like Texas BBQ, I have the place for you:

http://www.hillcountryny.com/home.php

GregReinhart
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
When I go to the M, I stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Paterson Plank Road in Carlstadt. It's two minutes away from the Meadowlands, it's relatively new, it's decently priced for a nice room, and there are restaurants right next to it.

Zippy Chippy
03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Anyone know off hand what tracks you can watch for free online? I know you can watch Meadowlands.. I think you may be able to watch Woodbine. Any others?