PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Edgar Prado?

Stillriledup
03-20-2010, 02:30 AM
I see he's batting .09 percent. Last year he was only a .12 rider. Shouldn't a guy who's usually in the top 5 in the country be batting well over 15 percent?

Did he just forget how to ride?

46zilzal
03-20-2010, 02:46 AM
I see he's batting .09 percent. Last year he was only a .12 rider. Shouldn't a guy who's usually in the top 5 in the country be batting well over 15 percent?

If you did some real searching you would find that something in his personal life is not what it appears. Have seen the same thing happen to many riders going through nasty divorces or undisclosed injury.

joanied
05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Whatever it is with Gomez...I hope he gets through it and gets back to his old self. I have always been a Go Go fan...and I want him back!!

slew101
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
What's wrong with Gomez? He just won the Keeneland riding title.

ronsmac
05-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Part of the problem is father time. He doesn't quite sit on a horse the way he used too, and he sometimes gets a little tired in the drive.

Stillriledup
05-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Part of the problem is father time. He doesn't quite sit on a horse the way he used too, and he sometimes gets a little tired in the drive.

“Father Time is not always a hard parent, and, though he tarries for none of his children, often lays his hand lightly upon those who have used him well; making them old men and women inexorably enough, but leaving their hearts and spirits young and in full vigor. With such people the gray head is but the impression of the old fellow's hand in giving them his blessing, and every wrinkle but a notch in the quiet calendar of a well-spent life.”

-Charles Dickens

fouroneone
05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
If you did some real searching you would find that something in his personal life is not what it appears. Have seen the same thing happen to many riders going through nasty divorces or undisclosed injury.

Thats a real shame. Watching his deterioration over the last few years has been tough. He used to have multiple mounts in the derby and didnt even make the trip to kentucky this year.

cj's dad
05-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Has Edgar been the same person since the injury and subsequent death of Barbaro?

I think that event has had a deep and lasting effect on Edgar.

joanied
05-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Has Edgar been the same person since the injury and subsequent death of Barbaro?

I think that event has had a deep and lasting effect on Edgar.

I beleive you are right about that, cj, and I've often thought about it... few times I almost bought his book about his relationship with Barbaro...but what stopped me is that the story is so damned sad.

But what about Gomez...do we know for certain there is something in his life that he's taking to the track with him everyday? If that is so, then, once again...I hope he gets through it and gets back to being 100% Go-Go.

NTamm1215
05-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I beleive you are right about that, cj, and I've often thought about it... few times I almost bought his book about his relationship with Barbaro...but what stopped me is that the story is so damned sad.

But what about Gomez...do we know for certain there is something in his life that he's taking to the track with him everyday? If that is so, then, once again...I hope he gets through it and gets back to being 100% Go-Go.

Someone already asked and you might have missed it but what are you talking about with Gomez? The guy won the Keeneland riding title. He's been riding as well over the last few months as he was last year or the year before.

NT

joanied
05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Someone already asked and you might have missed it but what are you talking about with Gomez? The guy won the Keeneland riding title. He's been riding as well over the last few months as he was last year or the year before.

NT

I know that...about Keeneland ect.
I don't know what I missed...someone mentioned Gomez was having some problems in his personal life and maybe it was effecting him on the track...I just wondered what it was, and that whatever it was/is, hoped he would sort it out and get back to his old self...meaning in his head/heart...
that's it!!

Dahoss9698
05-13-2010, 12:15 PM

NT

I'm still wondering what it had to do with Prado.

slew101
05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Gomez also just picked up the mount on Blame, who could be set for a big year, debuting Saturday in a spot at Pimlico. Not sure if he's keeping the mount all year, since Jamie Theriot did a great job on the horse last year for Stall. But since he'll be in big races all year, they might be switching to Gomez permanently.

Greyfox
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
I know that...about Keeneland ect.
I don't know what I missed...someone mentioned Gomez was having some problems in his personal life and maybe it was effecting him on the track...I just wondered what it was, and that whatever it was/is, hoped he would sort it out and get back to his old self...meaning in his head/heart...
that's it!!

The someone who mentioned Gomez was having some problems in his personal life was You - joanied.

If you re-read the above threads, 46zil suggested that looking into Prado's personal life might reveal the roots of his problems.
Then in the next post you said:

"Whatever it is with Gomez...I hope he gets through it and gets back to his old self. I have always been a Go Go fan...and I want him back!!"

I can't find any other posts suggesting that something is wrong with Gomez other than that one. In fact it's been pointed out he just won a rider's title.

Wickel
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm still wondering what it had to do with Prado.

Me, too!:confused:

David-LV
05-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Whatever it is with Gomez...I hope he gets through it and gets back to his old self. I have always been a Go Go fan...and I want him back!!

Read and understand before you give your opinion. :bang:

This blog has ZERO to do with Garrett Gomez.

You say you want him back, where have you been, because Go Go never left.

________
David-LV

joanied
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup

Quote from ZilZal post:

I see you guys are getting rather nasty in your replies to my posts about Gomez...like "read & understand before you post"...jeeze.

I mentioned Gomez in reply to the above quotes...so don't tell me I am the one that mentioned Gomez in a Prado thread. I simply replied to a couple of posts about him.

Dahoss9698
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
It just keeps getting better.

Wickel
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
This thread has just crossed over into the Twilight Zone!:eek:

Kimsus
05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
For what it's worth from my observation since I bet and this is what I use to gauge good rides or not, Gomez isn't riding to the standard he set in 08 or 09 so I agree with Joanied to a degree. As for Prado is a shell of his former self, infact he sux now, put him in the Jorge Chavez bin. A hell of a rider once that went KFC.

David-LV
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:

Quote from ZilZal post:

I see you guys are getting rather nasty in your replies to my posts about Gomez...like "read & understand before you post"...jeeze.

I mentioned Gomez in reply to the above quotes...so don't tell me I am the one that mentioned Gomez in a Prado thread. I simply replied to a couple of posts about him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened to Edgar Prado?

Quote from ZilZal post:

Unless I'm starting to go blind, where in these posts does Garrett Gomez's name come up ??:confused::confused:

The title of this thread is: What happened to Edgar Prado?

________
David-LV

cj's dad
05-13-2010, 01:55 PM
If you did some real searching you would find that something in his personal life is not what it appears. Have seen the same thing happen to many riders going through nasty divorces or undisclosed injury, like Garrett Gomez.

see there it is !! :lol:

David-LV
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Posted By: KIMSUS

For what it's worth from my observation since I bet and this is what I use to gauge good rides or not, Gomez isn't riding to the standard he set in 08 or 09 so I agree with Joanied to a degree. As for Prado is a shell of his former self, infact he sux now, put him in the Jorge Chavez bin. A hell of a rider once that went KFC.

Does this look like Garrett is slowing down or having personal problems.

He is the most sort after jockey riding today.

________
David-LV

http://www.examiner.com/x-43823-Lexington-Horse-Racing-Examiner~y2010m4d27-Gomez-wins-Keeneland-2010-spring-meet-jockey-title (http://www.examiner.com/x-43823-Lexington-Horse-Racing-Examiner%7Ey2010m4d27-Gomez-wins-Keeneland-2010-spring-meet-jockey-title)

Jockey Standings

Two-time Eclipse Award winning jockey, Garrett Gomez capped his first full meet at Keeneland by taking home his first jockey title at Keeneland.

Gomez, who captured his fourth-consecutive national title in 2009 as leading money-earning jockey, scored 22 wins on 68 mounts during the Keeneland's meet, which included wins in the Doubledogdare Stakes (gr. 3) on Haka and the Beaumont Stakes (gr. 2) on Franny Freud.

"It is really an honor to win the jockeys' title here at Keeneland," Gomez said on Keeneland.com (http://www.keeneland.com/Lists/News/dispform.aspx?ID=6412). "It is one of the most prestigious meets in the country and some of the best jockeys around ride here. Keeneland is really special because it's right in the heart of horse country and there are a ton of great and knowledgeable fans that come to the races each day. I really look forward to this meet and I'm very happy to take home the riding title.

"Another special thing about Keeneland is the quality of horses here," he continued. "At Keeneland, you get to do more than ride one or two good horses a day; you get to ride good horses all day long. As jockeys, that makes our job a lot easier and a lot more fun. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to get on several really nice horses, win some races and take home my first Keeneland riding title."

Overall, Gomez had 68 starts, with 22 wins, 10 seconds and 12 thirds. He also had a winning percentage of 32 percent, and an "in the money" percentage of 65 percent.

He did not seem to have any preference for the type of track he won on, having a 33 percent win percentage on the turf and a 32 percent win percentage on the Polytrack. He also scored a 27 percent win percentage in the stakes races he rode in, winning two of nine for a 27 percent mark.

johnhannibalsmith
05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Wait, what's all this about Garrett?

http://www.abbaontv.com/1975/Pictures/4%20Garrett%20Morris.jpg

joanied
05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
OK, OK... maybe I read something wrong, I don't know...

but you guys have had your fun...I know that some of you probably look for posts with mistakes or mis understandings...then swoop in like so many vultures...now you can fly away and find someone else to shit on.

AQUEBUCKS
05-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Guys, did someone even consider Jockey Agents regarding the current performance level of either Edgar Prado or Garrett Gomez? First off-Regarding Prado, he fired long time agent Bob Frieze and then hired Jim Riccio, Jr. This happened right before the start of the Gulfstream meet. Prado was unhappy with Frieze so he confided in the Dutrow Clan and then hired Riccio. Remember " Hall of Fame jockey Edgar Prado had a banner afternoon at Aqueduct Racetrack April 22, riding five winners from seven mounts." Remember who the trainers were for those five winners? Other than Dutrow, Trainers he never rode for in years past. My point is this. The Agent makes the Jockey, always have. Not that Jim Riccio, Jr is a bad agent, but there is no comparison as to the popularity with prominent owners and trainers. Case in point- Which top Trainer doesn't have have Ron Anderson's (Garrett Gomez) cell number programmed into theirs? Bob Frieze? Maybe as he had Jerry Bailey's book before Prado. Jim Riccio Jr. I doubt it. In California, Joe Ferrer's number is programmed into every bodies cell phone. I could go on and on about what I think is under-publicized and that is the Agent.

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2010, 07:20 PM
OK, OK... maybe I read something wrong, I don't know...

but you guys have had your fun...I know that some of you probably look for posts with mistakes or mis understandings...then swoop in like so many vultures...now you can fly away and find someone else to shit on.These forums are somewhat widely read amongst industry insiders, so it would be my hope that posts that refer to specific individuals (like Gomez and Prado) would contain highly ACCURATE information.

Instead of complaining that some folks on here are "swooping in like vultures to correct mistakes," perhaps time would be better spent making sure such inaccurate information about public individuals who make their living in this game never sees the light of day in the first place.

That's how stupid, nasty, flat-out-wrong RUMORS get started in the first place.

westny
05-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Aquebucks has it right re agent.

But, why was Prado unhappy with Frieze...a "super agent", or was it the other way around?

joanied
05-13-2010, 07:53 PM
These forums are somewhat widely read amongst industry insiders, so it would be my hope that posts that refer to specific individuals (like Gomez and Prado) would contain highly ACCURATE information.

Instead of complaining that some folks on here are "swooping in like vultures to correct mistakes," perhaps time would be better spent making sure such inaccurate information about public individuals who make their living in this game never sees the light of day in the first place.

That's how stupid, nasty, flat-out-wrong RUMORS get started in the first place.

They could have been a little nicer about correcting a mistake. I just replied to Zilly's post...and got the subject matter mixed up:blush:
But, you are right, PA.

BIG49010
05-15-2010, 06:32 AM
He's lost his stones, and won't go inside anymore. I call them the safety rides on the outside, similar to the way Jerry Bailly finished his career.

Younger agressive riders like Cohen, Dominguez, Jose Lazacano, etc..

Stillriledup
01-30-2011, 05:59 PM
He's lost his stones, and won't go inside anymore. I call them the safety rides on the outside, similar to the way Jerry Bailly finished his career.

Younger agressive riders like Cohen, Dominguez, Jose Lazacano, etc..

He was riding Lucas Brady in the last race at GP today, he was one of the only closers in a race with a ton of speed, he rode the horse well, came up the inside, but just didnt have physically enough talent to get this horse into the trifecta. Positionally, he was in the right place, but physically he just cant get it done anymore. Absolutely no reason this horse couldnt hit the board with the trip he got.

Dahoss9698
01-30-2011, 06:13 PM
He was riding Lucas Brady in the last race at GP today, he was one of the only closers in a race with a ton of speed, he rode the horse well, came up the inside, but just didnt have physically enough talent to get this horse into the trifecta. Positionally, he was in the right place, but physically he just cant get it done anymore. Absolutely no reason this horse couldnt hit the board with the trip he got.

And the beat goes on...

ronsmac
01-30-2011, 06:26 PM

He's old.

Stillriledup
01-30-2011, 08:40 PM
He's old.

Yep, i guess that's probably a factor.