PDA

View Full Version : Public money vs "live" money

Stillriledup
03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I believe there is a way to 'sniff out' which runners are getting public money and which runners are getting LIVE money.

Yesterday at Santa Anita, a first time starter named Neva Masquerade. This runner was in a field of many other first timers and one horse who had raced that looked like a standout on paper. The runner who was a standout on paper just never fired, but the betting on this race was really fascinating to me.

What i'll usually do in a race like this is really try and see if the odds of the runners correlate to their 'on paper chances'. I looked up at a few mins to post and saw this horse at like 12-1 and thought, "Hmmm, this horse took a little bit of money considering the no name connections". So, i keep watching the board and i figure a horse like this would drift up in price, ya know, who's betting on Gregg Matties and CS Reyes? This horse refused to 'drift' and eventually went down to 9-1 right as the horses were loading. Unfortunately for me, i made a nice sized exacta box with the 3-5 shot (note to self, never bet a 'warren bred' horse at under even money) and couldn't take advantage of this situation.

I believe this was one of those horses you could have used in an exacta or tri box if you were really paying attention to the betting patterns and also had the ability to wager at the very last second.

This wasn't 'random fan' money that made this horse 9-1 at the end into the teeth of a good looking (on paper and on video) 3-5 shot.

David-LV
03-19-2010, 07:07 PM
I believe there is a way to 'sniff out' which runners are getting public money and which runners are getting LIVE money.

Yesterday at Santa Anita, a first time starter named Neva Masquerade. This runner was in a field of many other first timers and one horse who had raced that looked like a standout on paper. The runner who was a standout on paper just never fired, but the betting on this race was really fascinating to me.

What i'll usually do in a race like this is really try and see if the odds of the runners correlate to their 'on paper chances'. I looked up at a few mins to post and saw this horse at like 12-1 and thought, "Hmmm, this horse took a little bit of money considering the no name connections". So, i keep watching the board and i figure a horse like this would drift up in price, ya know, who's betting on Gregg Matties and CS Reyes? This horse refused to 'drift' and eventually went down to 9-1 right as the horses were loading. Unfortunately for me, i made a nice sized exacta box with the 3-5 shot (note to self, never bet a 'warren bred' horse at under even money) and couldn't take advantage of this situation.

I believe this was one of those horses you could have used in an exacta or tri box if you were really paying attention to the betting patterns and also had the ability to wager at the very last second.

This wasn't 'random fan' money that made this horse 9-1 at the end into the teeth of a good looking (on paper and on video) 3-5 shot.

Nothing unusual, this happens daily at all tracks.

Some of these horses win, but most of them lose.

No big deal. :):)

_______
David-LV

misscashalot
03-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I believe ......I believe this was one of those horses you could have used in an exacta or tri box if you were really paying attention to the betting patterns and also had the ability to wager at the very last second. This wasn't 'random fan' money that made this horse 9-1 at the end into the teeth of a good looking (on paper and on video) 3-5 shot.

In this situation it always pays to check the X prices. Do they back up the win odds? If yes perhaps a hot horse. If not then I'd pass on that one.

Robert Goren
03-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Before the days of all of these exotics, You could find it by comparing place and show. The "barn" money bet win and place, but generally not show. Now day with so many pools it is hard to sniff out. JMO

Robert Goren
03-20-2010, 12:03 AM
One more thing, there is a lot of so called "smart money" that isn't all that smart.

Stillriledup
03-20-2010, 12:34 AM
One more thing, there is a lot of so called "smart money" that isn't all that smart.

Smart money is money on horses that the bettor knows for a fact are drugged. That would be the smartest money you could find. The next wave of smart money is from professional gamblers who spend hours and hours handicapping. That's the only 'monies' i really care about. Its either smart or its not.