PDA

View Full Version : Davy Crockett goes to Final Frontier.

BlueShoe
03-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Only the older members will recall this man, but Fess Parker, who played Davy Crockett in the hugely popular TV series passed away today at the age of 85. He later played Daniel Boone in another series. For many small boys of that era, he was a hero, and watching his show was an absolute must.
www.cbs2.com/local/davy.crockett.fess.2.1572918.html (http://www.cbs2.com/local/davy.crockett.fess.2.1572918.html)

Show Me the Wire
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
My coonskin hat was my favorite hat. RIP Fess.

ArlJim78
03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I was one of those little boys, Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone were what I grew up on. I even had my own imitation coonskin cap at one point.

GaryG
03-18-2010, 08:10 PM
He was not born on a mountaintop, it was on the Nolichucky river near the community of Limestone in Greene County TN. And there is no record of him ever being called anything other than David, until Walt Disney anyway. When he was running for re-election to congress he said "I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not , you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas". And he did.

Johnny V
03-18-2010, 08:16 PM
I was one of those little boys, Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone were what I grew up on. I even had my own imitation coonskin cap at one point.
Same here. I remember my Davy Crockett lunchbox. He was my hero as a little kid. R.I.P

cj's dad
03-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Same here. I remember my Davy Crockett lunchbox. He was my hero as a little kid. R.I.P

And there was a Davy Crockett pop- gun if I remember correctly.

prospector
03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
i remember having a certificate for one square inch of land...

Dave Schwartz
03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
It's a 2mb download so be patient.

Davey Crocket (http://www.practicalhandicapping.com/desktop/package/PublicImages/Fess%20Parker%20Ballad%20Of%20Davy%20Crockett%20(1 955)%20-%20.mp3)

Oh... it streams!

NJ Stinks
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
A part of me died reading this.

RIP, Fess Parker. And thanks for everything.

GaryG
03-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Crockett's grandparents were killed by Cherokee when his father was a young man. Fortunately his father was on a hunting expedition at the time or there would not have been a King of the Wild Frontier. Times were hard on the post-revolution frontier.

sandpit
03-18-2010, 10:48 PM
I read where Fess was a successful hotel owner in the Santa Barbara area after he retired from acting. I looked it up and the hotel is beautiful: http://www.fessparkersantabarbarahotel.com/photo-gallery/photo-gallery.cfm?LinkToGo=resort

Overlay
03-18-2010, 11:41 PM
A TV show would know it had arrived in that era when Homer and Jethro would parody its theme song. (No disrespect to Fess intended. They were sending up Davy, not him.)

Born in a taxicab in Tennessee
Slowest cab that you ever did see
Warmed up his bottle and he took him a nip
He didn't even leave the driver a tip

Chorus:
Davy, Davy Crewcut
The cat with the coonskin cap

He was the cleanest baby that you ever saw
When he sucked his thumb he used a straw
He liked the girls instead of toys
He liked them ever since he found they weren't boys

Davy was so lazy that he wouldn't raise his thumb.
He used a bicycle pump to blow up his bubble gum.
Became a politician in Washington, DC;
He took him a bribe when he was only three

He entered a contest in Tennessee
And Mr. America he thought he'd be.
The judge looked him over, said, "Who's this drip?"
And Davy nearly lost his citizenship.

Well, he went a-b'ar-huntin' all alone
Well, he grinned but the b'ar bit him clean to the bone
Davy got the lockjaw and had to go to bed
He sneezed and he blowed off the top of his head

Final chorus:

Davy, Davy Crewcut
He couldn't live his legend down
He had the only crewcut coonskin cap in town.

Robert Goren
03-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Davy Crockett was one of my child heroes. Fess Parker and the other actors(including John Wayne) who protrayed him made him seem larger than life. I have learn never to look at a hero's feet. When I think of Davy, I see the hero, I see Fess Parker.

Tw4xNGHxaJw&feature=related

Dave Schwartz
03-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Since that song is copyrighted material I will take it down very soon.