PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Great Barrington Fair Photos

Zman179
03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
10 years after racing ceased. Before looking at these photos, I was expecting to see vandalism and destruction. That's not what these photos showed, far from it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timheffernan/sets/72157622018057934/

Deepsix
03-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Very cool pics. Its rare to find such pristine shots leaving much to one's imagination. I have an ultra-ultra wide lense (not a fisheye) that might have been excellent--- I can only imagine.

Thanks

Tom
03-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Cool.
:ThmbUp:

Cardus
03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
10 years after racing ceased. Before looking at these photos, I was expecting to see vandalism and destruction. That's not what these photos showed, far from it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timheffernan/sets/72157622018057934/

Ever been to the Northampton track? I had fun when I was there a few years ago.

slew101
03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
First track I ever went to. Remember the guys outside selling the tip sheets for $1 called Clocker Dan and Clocker Carson?

First time I went in the early 1980s, the Racing Form was $1.25. Top jock was a rider named Tommy Maeda.

Ever been to the Northampton track? I had fun when I was there a few years ago.

Track Collector
03-18-2010, 11:35 PM
It was a terrible thing when Northampton discontinued racing after 2005. It was the best and most unique racing venue. :(

When I first learned about the racing at the Great Barrington Fair, racing had been discontinued. A hurricane ripped the area in 1995 and did a lot of damage to the fairgrounds. Then owner Henry Vara Jr. with some insurance monies re-built and re-opened for races in 1997 and 1998. After multiple unsuccessful attempts by Vara to get the town to approve a little on-site OTB, he later sold to a development corporation. I'm not sure if was subsequently sold again. It was at GBF in 1998 that I met my best friend and fellow track collecting partner.

While chances are very slim, it would appear that the only possible option for the return of fair racing to MA is in Brockton.

lamboguy
03-18-2010, 11:40 PM
the guy with the cigarette in his mouth and the hat on was woody, he sold the tout sheet for $1.00 for years. he died in salem, new hampshire less than 2 years ago. i gave woody a five dollar bill every time i saw him.

i think that henry vara still owns the fairgrounds, and lots of nightclubs and bars throughout new england

slew101
03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I only made it to GB once, and never did get to Marshfield, where they opened the fair circuit in late August before Northampton had the Labor Day week.

It was a terrible thing when Northampton discontinued racing after 2005. It was the best and most unique racing venue. :(

When I first learned about the racing at the Great Barrington Fair, racing had been discontinued. A hurricane ripped the area in 1995 and did a lot of damage to the fairgrounds. Then owner Henry Vara Jr. with some insurance monies re-built and re-opened for races in 1997 and 1998. After multiple unsuccessful attempts by Vara to get the town to approve a little on-site OTB, he later sold to a development corporation. I'm not sure if was subsequently sold again. It was at GBF in 1998 that I met my best friend and fellow track collecting partner.

While chances are very slim, it would appear that the only possible option for the return of fair racing to MA is in Brockton.

Java Gold@TFT
03-19-2010, 05:10 AM
I loved the GBF growing up. Finding form was a laugh. A bunch of the horses would only run on the fair circuit so you would see year long layoffs and then 3-4 races in a month. Then back to the farm. I also like the pics of the $50 windows since a $50 bet in the win pool could shift the odds. I still wish that the town had allowed an OTB so that live racing could have continued. My last trip to see live racing was probably around 1983 but it was always fun.

offtrack
03-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Great memories of G.B. Fair:

Wooden Grandstands; Hamburgers in the infield (1/2 fat & 1/2 sawdust);
standing in the infield and turning round and round to watch horses race on the outside; waiting for the Late-Money to hit the pools; tough fair circuit jockeys; careful not to bet too much so the odds don't change.