PDA

View Full Version : seth benzel

lamboguy
03-18-2010, 02:05 PM
he was an assistant for todd pletcher. he has all top notch pedgree horses, top nothch stock. i saw a few of his horses train last year in saratoga, and they all looked great. yet this guy with everything going his way is underacheiving for what he has in inventory. i don't know if its bad luck or bad plans. he doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong except for not visititing the winners circle more frequently.

Stillriledup
03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Sounds like Eoin Harty out west. Worked for Baffert, was the number one guy, went on own and got great horses (to put it mildly) and is just kind of a non factor. his horses look great on the track and most of them are amazingly well bred, but you don't see him dominating too much. I know he won Dubai at 6M and had some big wins with Colonel John, but hes gone through a lot of million dollar horses with just average success.

lamboguy
03-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Sounds like Eoin Harty out west. Worked for Baffert, was the number one guy, went on own and got great horses (to put it mildly) and is just kind of a non factor. his horses look great on the track and most of them are amazingly well bred, but you don't see him dominating too much. I know he won Dubai at 6M and had some big wins with Colonel John, but hes gone through a lot of million dollar horses with just average success.
very similar, but both seem like real nice guys.

Stillriledup
03-18-2010, 11:04 PM
very similar, but both seem like real nice guys.

Tim Yakteen is another guy from the Baffert stable that hasnt really had much success. Very nice guy, very knowledgable, but just can't seem to train horses to run really fast for some reason.

Robert Goren
03-18-2010, 11:33 PM
They get some of the culls from their past employer. Not all well bred horses are fast. They get the ones that their previous trainer had given up on for one reason or another, but their owner wasn't ready part with. JMO

sonnyp
03-19-2010, 01:42 AM
i noticed mr. benzel a number of years ago at the oklahoma track when he was still with pletcher.

man, he looked great !!! had the right pants with the right shirt. all pressed up with that designer vest,windbreaker thing all the politically correct guys wear. had those tony llamas, stopwatch on the lanyard, binocs, big smile and hand shakes. i honestly thought he was runnin for office.

training racehorses, unfortunately, is not like painting by numbers. a successful trainer really needs a gift, "a way" with a horse.

man, he really looked good !!!!

PhantomOnTour
03-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Wait until Benzel gets back to NY (or Mth maybe!)...his stock should perform much better there.

PhantomOnTour
08-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Back in NY with Zee Bros in the 6th today.
Only has two starters in North America this year...has he been in Dubai this whole time?

Guy started out very well in NY and then split

whodoyoulike
08-13-2014, 01:55 PM
he was an assistant for todd pletcher. he has all top notch pedgree horses, top nothch stock. i saw a few of his horses train last year in saratoga, and they all looked great. yet this guy with everything going his way is underacheiving for what he has in inventory. i don't know if its bad luck or bad plans. he doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong except for not visititing the winners circle more frequently.

Sounds like Eoin Harty out west. Worked for Baffert, was the number one guy, ...

Tim Yakteen is another guy from the Baffert stable that hasnt really had much success. Very nice guy, very knowledgable, but just can't seem to train horses to run really fast for some reason.

Could part of the problem be that these trainers don't really know which races to place their horses unlike Pletcher and Baffert? They're probably training the horses using the same methods as always. Didn't the guy who took over most of Bobby Frankel's horses have similar unsuccessful results although he was Mr. Frankel's #1 assistant.

bbopjz
08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
What happened to this jockey?

Stillriledup
08-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Could part of the problem be that these trainers don't really know which races to place their horses unlike Pletcher and Baffert? They're probably training the horses using the same methods as always. Didn't the guy who took over most of Bobby Frankel's horses have similar unsuccessful results although he was Mr. Frankel's #1 assistant.

Might have been Humberto Ascanio and i think he had a health issue a couple years ago.

whodoyoulike
08-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Might have been Humberto Ascanio and i think he had a health issue a couple years ago.

Yes, He's the one I was referring (I was unaware of his health issues). The point I was trying to make is that Pletcher, Baffert, Frankel etc., not only know how to train but, they know (or knew) where to place their horses. Not an easy task.

Stillriledup
08-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes, He's the one I was referring (I was unaware of his health issues). The point I was trying to make is that Pletcher, Baffert, Frankel etc., not only know how to train but, they know (or knew) where to place their horses. Not an easy task.

Placement is a big factor, no doubt.

Rise Over Run
08-13-2014, 07:37 PM
What happened to this jockey?
He broke his leg in a gate incident this winter at Aqueduct. I heard it was a bad break that required surgery in February and he couldn't even start rehab for several months.