PDA

View Full Version : Jess Jackson to purchase Eskendereya

Ejmenz
03-17-2010, 11:27 PM
If this rumor is true and Jess Jackson purchases Eskendereya and moves him from Pletcher to Asmussen, Eskendereya will become the horse to root against for this years triple crown chase.

On the other hand, if Eskendereya turns out to be a great one, we'll get to see him race as a four year old.

For every nah there is a yeah.

point given
03-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Who cares ?:rolleyes:

Stillriledup
03-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Why would you root against Jess Jackson? I don't get it.

Robert Goren
03-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Why would you root against Jess Jackson? I don't get it. Maybe he was confused and thought it was Jesse Jackson.;)

Ejmenz
03-18-2010, 12:37 AM
I think some may not enjoy one man buying the best horse each year right before the derby, it might be reason enough for some to dislike him.

Jesse Jackson may not enjoy it, Tito Jackson either.

Stillriledup
03-18-2010, 12:42 AM
I think some may not enjoy one man buying the best horse each year right before the derby, it might be reason enough for some to dislike him.

Jesse Jackson may not enjoy it, Tito Jackson either.

So you dislike him because he's willing to put large sums of money into the game to keep it chugging along? There are very few people who are willing to spend millions of dollars in this sport, i think the guy is someone who should be respected by racing fans who love to go to the park and watch the beautiful animals run.

Ejmenz
03-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Did I say I didn't like him?

The whole idea of the post is to discuss it, I don't like one guy buying the best horses, but I love being able to see these horses run as four year olds.

I certainly don't dislike Jess Jackson.

chickenhead
03-18-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't dislike JJ, but I don't cheer for him. I'm still hoping Carlo Rossi and the Gallo Boys get into horse ownership, them I would root for.

redshift1
03-18-2010, 01:27 AM
If this rumor is true and Jess Jackson purchases Eskendereya and moves him from Pletcher to Asmussen, Eskendereya will become the horse to root against for this years triple crown chase.

On the other hand, if Eskendereya turns out to be a great one, we'll get to see him race as a four year old.

For every nah there is a yeah.

Seems unlikely Zayat would sell at this point considering the classic pedigree Eskendereya might be his ticket to solvency. Say Eskendeyera is worth 5m now but what's he worth if he wins the Derby or the Triple Crown.

Hanover1
03-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Seems unlikely Zayat would sell at this point considering the classic pedigree Eskendereya might be his ticket to solvency. Say Eskendeyera is worth 5m now but what's he worth if he wins the Derby or the Triple Crown.
Zayat needs cash...a sure thing at the right price looks better that a wish and a dream....Slide him 2 mil, everybodys happy....

Stillriledup
03-18-2010, 02:52 AM
Did I say I didn't like him?

The whole idea of the post is to discuss it, I don't like one guy buying the best horses, but I love being able to see these horses run as four year olds.

I certainly don't dislike Jess Jackson.

Fair enough.

redshift1
03-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Zayat needs cash...a sure thing at the right price looks better that a wish and a dream....Slide him 2 mil, everybodys happy....

Hard to value now, we will know better after the Wood.

cuzimahustler
03-18-2010, 04:40 AM
So whats the diffrence between jess jackson and IEAH?? Seems like some hate them more for buying top horses so why not the same for JJ?

Tom
03-18-2010, 07:29 AM
He plans to buy him and not run him against Zenyatta.

lamboguy
03-18-2010, 09:10 AM
these guys with the big money help keep the game going. horseracing is built on hopes dreams and very hard work.

tzipi
03-18-2010, 09:52 AM
He plans to buy him and not run him against Zenyatta.

*crickets*. If it was late Sept that would be funny Tom, but it's March. :)

FenceBored
03-18-2010, 10:03 AM
*crickets*. If it was late Sept that would be funny Tom, but it's March. :)

I thought it was funny.:blush:

tzipi
03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I thought it was funny.:blush:

Was just having a little fun with Tom. :)

Relwob Owner
03-18-2010, 01:33 PM
So whats the diffrence between jess jackson and IEAH?? Seems like some hate them more for buying top horses so why not the same for JJ?

I can only speak for what I see as people's perceptions and have no interest in starting an "IEAH sucks" series.....responding to your post however, I would say that much of it is that Jackson uses his own money, whereas IEAH is Iavarone heading up a group where he, I believe, uses mostly other people's money.....in addition, Iavarone has had some issues in his past that have been documented by various outlets and that may lend itself to a different and more negative perception as well...

Spendabuck85
03-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I can only speak for what I see as people's perceptions and have no interest in starting an "IEAH sucks" series.....responding to your post however, I would say that much of it is that Jackson uses his own money, whereas IEAH is Iavarone heading up a group where he, I believe, uses mostly other people's money.....in addition, Iavarone has had some issues in his past that have been documented by various outlets and that may lend itself to a different and more negative perception as well...

Relwob Owner :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
Jackson/Eskendereya :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
IEAH/Radiohead:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

JWBurnie
03-18-2010, 05:27 PM
I see Jess Jackson as I see the NY Yankees. I'm not rooting for anyone who attempts to buy the "championship", every year. That doesn't mean I dislike them (Yankees are the most exciting to watch, JJ's stable too), but I don't root for them. The horses, yes, of course, but not JJ.

Hanover1
03-18-2010, 05:34 PM
If I had his kind of money to throw around, I would go about it in much the same way....let someone else get them ready and feed them for awhile, flash the right amount of cash, and be in the gate where it matters the most. Assembling a top stable in this manner seems to up the percentages a bit. Good business...... :ThmbUp:

JWBurnie
03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
If I had his kind of money to throw around, I would go about it in much the same way....let someone else get them ready and feed them for awhile, flash the right amount of cash, and be in the gate where it matters the most. Assembling a top stable in this manner seems to up the percentages a bit. Good business...... :ThmbUp:

I agree, but do it with CLASS. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I agree, but do it with CLASS. :ThmbUp:Are you saying Jess ain't classy? How so? Every time I hear him speak, he seems to be about bettering the game for all involved...he genuinely seems like a fan of the game...I find nothing wrong with him or the way he operates.

Then again, I'm a NY Yankees fan....:lol:

Relwob Owner
03-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I see Jess Jackson as I see the NY Yankees. I'm not rooting for anyone who attempts to buy the "championship", every year. That doesn't mean I dislike them (Yankees are the most exciting to watch, JJ's stable too), but I don't root for them. The horses, yes, of course, but not JJ.

I think that is a pretty good analogy and maybe points out something that is missing in the sport in terms of people to root for or against in addition to the horses.....while I am no IEAH apologist, during their triple crown run, IEAH and Dutrow sure did stir up some reactions(positive and negative) from people I know who arent regular fans of the sport....

JWBurnie
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Are you saying Jess ain't classy? How so? Every time I hear him speak, he seems to be about bettering the game for all involved...he genuinely seems like a fan of the game...I find nothing wrong with him or the way he operates.

Then again, I'm a NY Yankees fan....:lol:

I was speaking in general.

Not sure how to answer. If I were describing JJ to someone (based on what I've read & seen), classy would not be a word I'd use.

Grits
03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree, but do it with CLASS. :ThmbUp:

JWB, since you're speaking in the general sense based on what you've read and seen of Mr.Jackson--this class that you indicate he is void of? How, or what, might he do to improve his image and present himself as being one of better class?

Class, by the way, as anyone can note in a short time without a lengthy amount of reading, being the most overused word here. Particularly when it has nothing to do with horses, but everything to do with humans. :lol:

Hanover1
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Imo JJ has shown nothing but class with his style of running 4yr olds., and trying anything except poly, wich he has been well informed is not a constant, but a variable...smart man, and great for the business. Keep spending and running JJ.... :ThmbUp:

the Bid
03-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Have any of the people on here speaking about JJ's "class" or lack thereof ever met the man? Have you spoken or dealt with him? Or are you judging him based on your perception of him as a rich man who buys expensive horses?
If there were no rich men (and women) buying expensive horses there would be no horses to follow and bet on and we would be stuck debating the fall of the card or why is sucked that the wheel fell on the "red" side 28 times in a row.

Robert Goren
03-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Have any of the people on here speaking about JJ's "class" or lack thereof ever met the man? Have you spoken or dealt with him? Or are you judging him based on your perception of him as a rich man who buys expensive horses?
If there were no rich men (and women) buying expensive horses there would be no horses to follow and bet on and we would be stuck debating the fall of the card or why is sucked that the wheel fell on the "red" side 28 times in a row. No, we would betting on the same horses only they wouldn't be worth so much.JMO

JWBurnie
03-19-2010, 10:06 AM
JWB, since you're speaking in the general sense based on what you've read and seen of Mr.Jackson--this class that you indicate he is void of? How, or what, might he do to improve his image and present himself as being one of better class?

Class, by the way, as anyone can note in a short time without a lengthy amount of reading, being the most overused word here. Particularly when it has nothing to do with horses, but everything to do with humans. :lol:

I never indicated JJ is void of class... just that I woudn't use the word to describe him. Good business man, yes. Successful, yes, but does that equal Class?

Robert, I'm with you, a horses "CLASS" or greatness cannot be quantified monetarily. Their value is determined by man, and what one is willing to pay. Obviously, the amount varies from one person to the next, and is greatly dependant upon an individuals bankroll.

Tom
03-19-2010, 10:08 AM

I see him as a guy who pushed the envelope last year and he contributed some of the game's greatest moments. I see him as a guy who puts in a lot and expect a lot back. I like that. That is how you get great stuff. Big egos blaze trails. Big money throw us a lot of crumbs.

I prefer to let him call the shots this year. It is, after all his horse, and if he wants to pass the AB, then who the hell am I to question that.

Thumbs up for what he has given us so far, and if by chance RA is shot and will never comes back from last year, that happens. Peaks have valleys.

monistee
03-19-2010, 10:42 AM
What this industry needs is more people like him. He's a man, who obviously loves this sport. And he is wealthy enough, and willing to invest his money to improve his stable.

When people say he's trying to buy himself a champion. Of course he is! Every owner dreams of having that great horse. And I wish him luck. :ThmbUp:

Grits
03-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I see him as a guy who pushed the envelope last year and he contributed some of the game's greatest moments. I see him as a guy who puts in a lot and expect a lot back. I like that. That is how you get great stuff. Big egos blaze trails. Big money throw us a lot of crumbs.

I prefer to let him call the shots this year. It is, after all his horse, and if he wants to pass the AB, then who the hell am I to question that.

Thumbs up for what he has given us so far, and if by chance RA is shot and will never comes back from last year, that happens. Peaks have valleys.

What Tom said here is a fine summation of Mr.Jackson, and a fair one. Whether one is comfortable with how much money he has to purchase horses, how often he does so, or how many more he buys is of no consequence. It shouldn't be to any racing fan that has knowledge of how difficult a time the sport is having keeping owners who are willing to be involved in a game that is in peril. Trainers/owners have bought eye catching winners in the past, War Emblem and Big Brown are two that come to mind. A practice that we can all hope will continue.

The sport should wish that it had a few more Forbes list billionaires interested and involved like Mr.Jackson is. If he never set foot on another racetrack property, or never wrote another check purchasing a farm, or a runner, he has done more for horseracing in the last two years than the suits have done in the last ten, including the Breeders' Cup, NTRA, the Jockey Club and so on.

As humans, we can't buy class. As the saying goes . . . "if you have it, I'll know it; you won't have to talk about it, you won't have to tell me."

On the other hand, class CAN be earned.

In horseracing, its why we have the Hall Of Fame. Its a pretty good lock that Jess Jackson will be there, along with, at least, two of his horses. And it won't be due to his wealth!

Anyone that continues to cast disparaging comments about the man needs their head examined. He's one of our game's greatest assets.

JWBurnie
03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
In horseracing, its why we have the Hall Of Fame. Its a pretty good lock that Jess Jackson will be there, along with, at least, two of his horses. And it won't be due to his wealth!

Anyone that continues to cast disparaging comments about the man needs their head examined. He's one of our game's greatest assets.

It has everything to do with his wealth. The two horses you speak of were great before he paid millions for them. So, how is JJ not buying his way in to the HOF? Yes, you can make the point that all owners buy their way to the HOF, but I put more weight in those that campaign home breds or auction purchases/claims.

Why would I possibly need my head examined? Am I that crazy not to root for him? Did you root for Dolphus Morrison? Will he be in the HOY? 7 of her 11 wins came under Morrison's ownership. Who's to say he wouldn't have run her at 4?

Do you see the owners of Lava Man in the same light as JJ?

PaceAdvantage
03-19-2010, 02:00 PM
The two horses you speak of were great before he paid millions for them.Was Rachel great before Jackson purchased her? Or was she great AFTER Jackson purchased her and ran her against the boys in the Preakness and the Haskell and the Woodward.

Her former owner had already declared she would not be running in any Triple Crown events, and probably would not have run in the Haskell either under her former connections.

So, at least with Rachel, I would submit she became truly great AFTER Jackson paid millions for her, and Jess's sportsmanship, NOT his money, had everything to do with that...

JWBurnie
03-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Was Rachel great before Jackson purchased her? Or was she great AFTER Jackson purchased her and ran her against the boys in the Preakness and the Haskell and the Woodward.

Her former owner had already declared she would not be running in any Triple Crown events, and probably would not have run in the Haskell either under her former connections.

So, at least with Rachel, I would submit she became truly great AFTER Jackson paid millions for her, and Jess's sportsmanship, NOT his money, had everything to do with that...

Kentucky Oaks by 20 (5 stakes in a row, 3 graded), I'd say she was well on her way to being great. Great enough for JJ to make an offer that Morrison & Co. couldn't refuse (and it's not about the money?). Personally, I don't need to see the girls beat the boys to prove they're great. I think there is something to be said about the previous owner taking the stance "girls run against girls". If she hadn't been purchased by JJ, and didn't run in the Preakness, there would have been a Triple Crown on the line going into the Belmont. Has JJ and Rachel created more excitement for this game than a potential Triple Crown?

I see JJ buying horses that he knows will give him the best chance to be in the spotlight, and he loves the control they allow him. To him, the money means nothing. That same money would be life changing for most. You know the saying "everything has a price"? I think this is a perfect example, and JJ knows there is no price above his means. What homebreds or auction purchases/claims has this HOF owner campaigned?

Spalding No!
03-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I think there is something to be said about the previous owner taking the stance "girls run against girls".

That's funny because, in no small part to the accomplishments of Rachel Alexandra, there is a current trend in racing to run good fillies and mares against colts. What were the odds Zenyatta entered the BC Classic if Rachel Alexandra took a more traditional route? What about Proviso in the Frank Kilroe (Tuscan Evening was entered as well)? Gotta Have Her in the Turf Sprint? St. Trinians in the Big Cap? Life Is Sweet in the HP Gold Cup and Dubai?

If she hadn't been purchased by JJ, and didn't run in the Preakness, there would have been a Triple Crown on the line going into the Belmont. Has JJ and Rachel created more excitement for this game than a potential Triple Crown?

That's debatable considering the HOY debate and the prodding of Zenyatta's connections to step out of the box with their mare. In the end Mine That Bird failed in the Belmont. Besides, since Mine That Bird has proven to be no world-beater, a Triple Crown victory by him would have been viewed as a fluke in historical terms.

What homebreds or auction purchases/claims has this HOF owner campaigned?

Jackson has been operating for only a handful of years. I would guess you'd say Allen Paulson was one of the great breeders of the last few decades and yet initially he, too, went about assembling his broodmare band and racing stable by the same method, getting the best pedigrees and ready-made horses he could get his hands on...

JWBurnie
03-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Was Rachel great before Jackson purchased her? Or was she great AFTER Jackson purchased her and ran her against the boys in the Preakness and the Haskell and the Woodward.

One question... do you give credit for RA's performance in the Preakness to the previous connections, or to JJ & Assmussen? Did Steve move her up 15+ (per my numbers) in three weeks?

Grits
03-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't agree with you JWB, I'm sorry, not at all. And, obviously, no one's going to change your view on Jess Jackson's questionable possession of class, as you've stated, "from what I've seen and read," and "I was speaking in general." Now, if I'm not mistaken, usually when one is speaking in general, that's a pretty good size umbrella. You've gone out on a real limb here.

This said--FORGET RACHEL for a moment given she had more races in her. Go back to Curlin for a bit.

Curlin was purchased after his maiden breaking race at Gulfstream with Helen Pitts-Blasi. Granted he won it by 12, still, there were no assurances that this colt, at age 3 off of one single race, was going to go on to achieve such a level of greatness on the track as he did. Absolutely none. It was a gamble, and one that is not a bit different from buying a yearling, or a two year old in training--home bred or not. I repeat, Curlin had had ONE race, JWB.

Rachel Alexandra, too, was a gamble. One bad step can end the career of every one of 'em. And there goes your five to ten million outlay.

You asked about Dolphus Morrison? My honest opinion--no, I knew the moment the man opened his mouth and stated what he did about her direction after the Oaks, I wasn't interested in anything further he had to say. (Here's a guy, who, in his age old thinking probably keeps his own wife walking four feet behind him.)

As far as "everyone has their price"--you're wrong. Not everyone in racing. Smarty Jones and Big Brown's owners did, Curlin and Rachel Alexandra's owners did, but I can introduce you to an owner, sir, who turned down millions from Sheik Mo for her GELDING. The higher the price went didn't matter. She still said, "no, he's not for sale, not at any price." So, this arguement's short.

And to answer another of your questions. No. Jackson and Rachel, alone, have not created more interest for this sport, or more buzz, than a Triple Crown. They've done so with the help of Zenyatta, and Jerry and Ann Moss. Both mares, and both connections have done far more in the last year to bring press, awareness, and new interest to the sport than the Triple Crown's running has.

We've bought the farm on the Triple Crown races how many years now?

Our not having a Triple Crown winner, sir, really isn't the fault of one, Jess Jackson, because he chose to run his filly against colts. That one's a reach!

Your comments smack, not only of "sour grapes, but too, of someone whose thinking is less than progressive and indicative of today's times.

PaceAdvantage
03-19-2010, 05:40 PM
One question... do you give credit for RA's performance in the Preakness to the previous connections, or to JJ & Assmussen? Did Steve move her up 15+ (per my numbers) in three weeks?She wouldn't have been in the Preakness if it weren't for JJ & Asmussen . . . for starters.

And both operations were able to coax top performances from her without screwing her up, which is the job of any trainer with a good horse.

When you're dealing with talent like RA, your #1 job is simply not to screw it all up...so credit goes to both teams in my opinion.

CryingForTheHorses
03-19-2010, 05:54 PM

You cant figure the outcome of a horses life.This game is to make money and get it while you can.Horses are like roses and wilt very easily.I think its great Jackson is buying her.Buying a horse to get in the derby takes the big bucks and he has it.This guy is great for racing IMO

Robert Fischer
03-19-2010, 06:16 PM

I had the same question as others, and this is a fair opinion. :ThmbUp:

I kind of see "Big E" as a being an enhanced horse already, so I guess that is why i don't have as strong an opinion, had it been someone like Pete Anderson(Delightful Kiss) training his heart out for a smaller owner and then losing him to a big operation after he layed the groundwork.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00rkb2wakQ2CK/340x.jpg

Robert Fischer
03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
And both operations were able to coax top performances from her without screwing her up, which is the job of any trainer with a good horse.

When you're dealing with talent like RA, your #1 job is simply not to screw it all up...so credit goes to both teams in my opinion.

well said.

Seems to me that is what they try to do with the stars. Let em be stars, high percentage, consistent, don't screw it up! :ThmbUp::)