PDA

View Full Version : USTA, Hoof Beats and Harness Leaders are all trying to out-moron each other

InsideThePylons-MW
03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Got my March issue of Hoof Beats in the mail today (thankfully all those stakes payment ads for March 15 deadlines were in the issue).

USTA President Phil Langley starts off the issue with a great analysis of suggestions to help harness racing.

His first suggestion he tackles is lower takeout......"Seems like a no-brainer, but in the past it really has not worked. A gimmick pool once a night at 15% has some appeal to track operators, but to cut the overall takeout from 20% to 15% is truly scary. Such a cut would decrease a track's operating revenue and pure earnings by 25%. This means to offset this loss the handle would have to increase by 33%, and that seems pretty doubtful."

How is it possible this guy is this damn stupid and the President of harness racing's leadership orginization?

I can't even start on how clueless he is just off this one small statement.

Of course Hoof Beats Magazine is a lead pipe lock to prove that if you aren't sure it is run by morons, they remove all doubt right on the next page after Langley's nonsense. In the Reader's Forum, the first headline and comment states........

Internet Wagering Damaged Racing

In his January letter, Jason Settlemoir didn't mention what I think is one of the most damaging things affecting harness racing---Internet Wagering, which returns NOTHING to the horsemen or tracks. Of course it will probably take federal action to correct this.

??????????? How can they print this? Does the editor actually think that harness racing gets nothing from internet wagering. They can' be talking about illegal offshore wagering on harness racing because basically none of those places take harness racing as a wagering option and if they do it's for nothing that matters.

How can Hoof Beats be this stupid?

Also later in the issue their is a 4 page article about some futuristic popularity of harness racing where their is no wagering on the races and they are just racing for purses raised from slot welfare. It's literally a must be on magic mushrooms article.

Reading this stuff just makes me sick.

Harness racing, Hoof Beats and the USTA should be ashamed.

How can people who would swear they are doing everything they can to help harness racing are killing it dead and not have any idea that they are doing it?

Just sickening!

melman
03-16-2010, 11:27 PM
ITP---"Should be ashamed" is the operative phase. These guys don't know the meaning of the word. It is disgusting. Heaven forbid someone would want to put up free pp's on the internet. These "leaders" would get a lawsuit to stop them. No one really cares ITP the business is on its last legs.

Pacingguy
03-17-2010, 06:19 AM
When I saw Langley's letter I almost went beserk. It was basically "we cant do anything (we're screwed)". It was so bad, that I wrote a blog entry (http://viewfromthegrandstand.blogspot.com/2010/02/argh.html) on it.

No, you can't cut your takeout and expect a 33% increase handle alone. But if you cut your takeout and coordinate race dates so you don't have so many tracks racing at the same time you can.

Sure, coordinating race dates between Chester, Pocono and the Meadowlands may mean 50% of the people in harness racing may become unemployed. But not coordinating dates may mean no one is employed.

Thinking our racing product is so good that no changes are needed to the races? Please...

No one item is going to solve the problems of racing; it is a series of changes at one time which will do it.

To be fair, he may be right about offering too many gimmicks for each race; I for one think rolling pick-3s are no good. Offer two or three pick-3s a night is probably better.

Yes, taking people to the races to expose them to racing is a good idea, but to think that is THE solution?

My blog entry (http://viewfromthegrandstand.blogspot.com/2010/02/argh.html) says it all.

melman
03-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Pacingguy---First I like the FACT that you care about harness racing and take the time to even have a viewpoint. I know we differ on the "urging" rule which I find silly. However I think we find common ground on a lot of issues. The racing business today is all about the internet. I have been to "live" racing thousands of times at many different tracks. Those days are OVER. It is just to nice to stay home and bet. No wear and tear on the car no fighting traffic to get there. Yes the tracks can do more for the on track visitors and maybe in rare cases increase the live attendance but the future is home betting. I read some posters talking about how they enjoy chatting with there friends at a live racetrack. Well I can do that at home just as well. Anyone heard of texting, twitter, etc etc. Still chat and compare notes with who I want to and not have to be around the drunks and "there all fixed" crowd. :) One other item we disagree on is the rolling pic3's. I think serious players LOVE that option. Wish more tracks had them. It will be interesting to see what happens this year at Tioga. I plan on offering them my full support.

Robert Goren
03-17-2010, 08:02 AM
I have started going to the track which right now is only simucasting just to get out more. I have discovered it is quite a different game out there than it is at home sitting in front the computer. I know that does not make a whole lot of sense and I can not explain why. Does anyone feel the same way?

melman
03-17-2010, 10:06 AM
"Bobby Goren"----Hey man no disrespect intended that's they way they referred to him on the show. :) If your spending your time and most of your bets on just one track then attending "live" would make some sense to me. Esp for those who have the skill to "look at the horse" and determine his condition. Otherwise home betting just has a ton more advantages. Yes there may be some who just want to get out more but to be realistic I think the future is home based betting. I'm saying this as a person who has attended thousands of live racing days. Used to go four or five times a week. Those days are long over. Even if the track was a palace and the customer service was great. Now if they had young ladies in bikini's well then maybe. :lol:

Pacingguy
03-17-2010, 10:10 AM
I have started going to the track which right now is only simucasting just to get out more. I have discovered it is quite a different game out there than it is at home sitting in front the computer. I know that does not make a whole lot of sense and I can not explain why. Does anyone feel the same way?

I love going to the track. There is something about being there to take in the sound and smells. Look, I know home betting is where the money is going to be bet and we need to accomodate it. However, we can't totally foresake on-track attendance. We are not going to get 10,000+ people excpet perhaps for special race nights, but if we can get 2-3,000 each night there, even if the $2 bettors, it will take the sail out of those that say no one attends the races and that racing doesn't deserve to stay in business.

Maybe it doesn't need to be the pick-3 which is cut back. The point being made is are you just shifting money away from one exotic wager to another one, resulting in smaller pools in each exotic wager? Does every race need to have an exacta, trifecta, superfecta, and pick-3?

melman
03-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Pacingguyg---Yes I think every race should have a exacta, tri, super and the start of a pic3. The more options for the bettor the more I like it. Let the player decide where the most money is going and which type bet gets the bigger pools. I can tell u this, I refuse to make ANY tri or super bets on any track in Pennsylvania. The takeout on those bets is 30-32%. That is track mangement laughing in the players face. I don't mean to discourge those who find the "sound and smells" of the track appealing. If that's your gig go for it. However from one who used to "go live" four or five nights a week that's a thing of the past. I enjoy the sounds and smells of my own home better. :) Fresh brewed coffee on the cheap instead of $2.00 at the track for so called "coffee".

Ray2000
03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Trackmaster blog on the "home vs at track" experience.

http://blog.trackmaster.com/

If they ever 'pony up the dough' and build Valley View in Lawrence County, Pa I'll have no excuse.:lol:

http://www.valleyviewdowns.com/

Robert Goren
03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I am saying that track betting was better or even more profitable. I started going out to there because I was spending all my time at home. The only time I left was to get groceries or to go the doctor. I now try to get out there once a week just to be around people.

melman
03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Bobby Goren---Getting out and meeting with people. How about your neighbors?

InsideThePylons-MW
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
When I saw Langley's letter I almost went beserk. It was basically "we cant do anything (we're screwed)". It was so bad, that I wrote a blog entry (http://viewfromthegrandstand.blogspot.com/2010/02/argh.html) on it.

How do you get your mag over 2 weeks ahead of me?

I've never even come close to getting mine the month before.....the month after, yes.

Was the article online?

Pacingguy
03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
How do you get your mag over 2 weeks ahead of me?

I've never even come close to getting mine the month before.....the month after, yes.

Was the article online?

I have a subscription to Hoofbeats Direct. For $10 more, you get an online copy in addition to your regular subscription. You can order an online only subscription as well.

Bennie
03-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Detective Goren - I am with you about getting out, for several reasons. The first is due to the fact that my wife, whom I love dearly, has no interest what so ever in horse racing and if I am at home I get too many "why don't you take a break and come sit with me". Other reasons are that I enjoy the "company" at the track. I sit with 4-5 of my friends and we "talk" horses. We all handicap differently and I enjoy comparing notes because we all help each other include that one horse some of us may have over-looked. Can't do that at home.

InsideThePylons-MW
03-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a subscription to Hoofbeats Direct. For $10 more, you get an online copy in addition to your regular subscription. You can order an online only subscription as well.

That makes sense. I just get the hard copy and have never received an issue anywhere near the first of the month unless it was the previous month's issue.

wilderness
03-18-2010, 01:24 AM
That makes sense. I just get the hard copy and have never received an issue anywhere near the first of the month unless it was the previous month's issue.

The USTA has gone to great lengths to advertise their "DIRECT" version (http://www.hoofbeatsmagazine.com/hbdirect/) and you missed all those advertisements ;)

For some months, and when they began the "DIRECT" version, for a few days at the beginning of each new month, they (United States Trotting Association (http://www.ustrotting.com/)) would not even offer any of the online excerpted editions of the current issue (http://www.hoofbeatsmagazine.com/current_issue.cfm).