PDA

View Full Version : Simul Weekly- ad disguised as an article

andicap
07-09-2003, 03:56 PM
I was greatly disappointed to see a handicapper I greatly respect, Steve Davidowitz write a full-page ad for the American Racing Manual in Simulcast Weekly this week disguised as a regular feature piece.

Simul Weekly promotes its publcation partly by touting the informative handicapping articles that appear each week --- sometimes we get two!.

In the last few months, the publication began the disturbing process of providing exercepts from the new DRF books -- a form of cross promotion that adds nothing if you have already bought the book. Yes, plenty of magazines provide excerpts for books but the self-promotion disguised as an article made Simul Weekly look like a marketing arm of the DRF rather than a helpful publication in its own right.

Still, the book excerpts did at least carry some informative handicapping
info from the books and most people hadn't read them yet.

But this week's article promoting the purchase of the American Racing Manual really crossed the line. Davidowitz, supposedly known for his independence, traded in his good name as an advocate for the handicapper-fan, to shamelessly plug the Manual that he works for.

Filling the pages of Simulcast Weekly with shameless ads for DRF products disguised as informative handicapping articles is a good way to
turn off your readership. I don't mind ads for DRF products when they are labeled as such -- that's the advantage of cross-promotion -- but including a "story" from a "respected" handicapper that is merely an ad is a cynical and
sorry act.

P.S. Does anyone here even buy the ARM?

VetScratch
07-09-2003, 05:27 PM
I haven't bought ARM recently, primarily because I hardly ever by the actual DRF with the ads to remind me. I would like to catch up if only to fill out a bookcase shelf.

One annual copy per novice player should be sufficient to teach a valuable gestalt lesson: FAILURE is the common denominator when you browse through the statistics for owners, trainers, jockeys, and horses.

The ARM is also handy if want to show a friend the world's most inadequate Table Of Contents, daydream about one of your yearlings becoming immortalized, or gloat over the 20k claim that you moved up into the ranks of the Experimental Handicaps.:D:D

takeout
07-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by andicap
I was greatly disappointed to see a handicapper I greatly respect, Steve Davidowitz write a full-page ad for the American Racing Manual in Simulcast Weekly this week disguised as a regular feature piece.
I'll probably never see that one (quit taking them) but I too have been disappointed by things like this in recent years. Not totally surprised, but disappointed. Heck, they're probably going to have to do more than that to move those things at $60 a pop. It might be time for them to go into the old "cost of paper went up" routine again. :D

JustMissed
07-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by andicap
But this week's article promoting the purchase of the American Racing Manual really crossed the line. Davidowitz, supposedly known for his independence, traded in his good name as an advocate for the handicapper-fan, to shamelessly plug the Manual that he works for.

Andy, Do you think you might be a little to rough on Steve. After all, besides being a damn fine handicapper he is a journalist and writer also. What's wrong with getting paid to write?

I bet if Ann Coulter paid you to write an article about her that would promote her new best seller, TREASON, you'd take the cash in a heartbeat!LOL.

See ya,

JustMissed

Tom
07-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by JustMissed
Andy, Do you think you might be a little to rough on Steve. After all, besides being a damn fine handicapper he is a journalist and writer also. What's wrong with getting paid to write?

JustMissed

Problem being we PAY for SW and part of the deal is an article about handicapping, not some cheap advertisement-Steve may have wrote it, but the publishing it as a sham is DRF alone.
That falls on another Steve.

Marc At DRF
07-11-2003, 02:45 PM
The ARM is $40 this year, not $60. I believe table of contents has been fairly dramatically upgraded as well.

I've forwarded the complaint about the article along... It's viable feedback for the editors to hear as they prepare a relaunch of Simo Weekly.

Tom
07-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Marc At DRF
The ARM is $40 this year, not $60. I believe table of contents has been fairly dramatically upgraded as well.

I've forwarded the complaint about the article along... It's viable feedback for the editors to hear as they prepare a relaunch of Simo Weekly.

What do you mean by relaunch?
Will some tings there now be going away?
GADS! Don't take away the Winner's book-it's the BEST thing DRF ever put out.

Marc At DRF
07-15-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure how you jumped from "relaunch" to "winner's book being removed" but don't worry, it's not being removed. Some new features, some reorganization, etc. Details soon.