PDA

View Full Version : the 2 minute barrier?

bisket
03-15-2010, 08:18 PM
has a filly ever broke 2 minutes in a 1 1/4 mile race. could zenyatta do it? i say yes without a doubt.

OntheRail
03-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Not unless she drops her secret identify and darns her red cape. Dadadada It's a bird it's a plane it's Z Horse. :lol: :D

With her slow get offs I kinda doubt it. :faint:

Rackon
03-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Lotta variables...track surface, track condition (how much moisture, how tight etc), weather (wind), the way the race sets up - need speed up front and quick fractions for her to close into.

Probably can't spend as much time weaving in and out or going as wide as she's done in past. And she doesn't get away quick from the gate, takes her awhile to get that big body unfurled.

Not impossible but not easy, not likely or even necessarily desirable.

I love Zenyatta (LOFF her) but I'm not overly concerned about raw times. Like most horses that come from way off the pace she goes as fast as she needs to to get in front at the wire.

I'd just think I'd died and gone to heaven if she stays undefeated in top class company this year, never mind the figs or the times.

I don't care if Z beats the clock as long as she beats the other horses in the race.:D

tzipi
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
She'd have to run 5 lengths faster than her last 1 1/4 race in the BC and that was probably her best race so far. Impossible? Nothing's impossible. But wouldn't say that's going to be easy or close to an automatic.

bisket
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Not unless she drops her secret identify and darns her red cape. Dadadada It's a bird it's a plane it's Z Horse. :lol: :D

With her slow get offs I kinda doubt it. :faint:
uhh she only missed it by a few ticks in the classic last november. its on dirt this year. where times are faster.
http://www.drf.com/formulator-web/FreeRace.do?trackId=SA&country=USA&raceDate=20100313&dayEvening=D&raceNumber=7#past-performance-race/7

bisket
03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
She'd have to run 5 lengths faster than her last 1 1/4 race in the BC and that was probably her best race so far. Impossible? Nothing's impossible. But wouldn't say that's going to be easy or close to an automatic.
nahh best race was ladies classic year before. on options on the pps click on incremental splits and this horse. look at her times for the last 6furs in that one. i don't see her running a 13 second final eighth. with quality and rachel running their usual opening pace times in the classic i think she could possibly do it. just something to think about.

Rackon
03-15-2010, 09:23 PM
uhh she only missed it by a few ticks in the classic last november. its on dirt this year. where times are faster.
http://www.drf.com/formulator-web/FreeRace.do?trackId=SA&country=USA&raceDate=20100313&dayEvening=D&raceNumber=7#past-performance-race/7

True, and if the weather cooperates the CD strip will be souped up.

Not impossible. But a lot of things have to fall into place for it to happen. It'd be more than enough for her to repeat as BCC winner. That in and of itself would be monumental.

tzipi
03-15-2010, 09:25 PM
nahh best race was ladies classic year before. on options on the pps click on incremental splits and this horse. look at her times for the last 6furs in that one. i don't see her running a 13 second final eighth. with quality and rachel running their usual opening pace times in the classic i think she could possibly do it. just something to think about.

That was a good race bisket. As I said, it's possible. But it won't be easy. She's got to pick up some lengths. She's special. I wouldn't be surprised.

Dave Schwartz
03-15-2010, 10:01 PM
OOps. I thought the question was 2 year olds.

pandy
03-15-2010, 11:41 PM
In most of her races she has run on slow surfaces and has closed off moderate fractions. If she got the opportunity to run on a glib surface and a speed duel developed there's no telling how fast she could go. Besides the fact that she's one of the all time greats, she has to go down in history as one of the most powerful closers of all time, with the likes of Forego, Silky Sullivan.

tzipi
03-15-2010, 11:58 PM
In most of her races she has run on slow surfaces and has closed off moderate fractions. If she got the opportunity to run on a glib surface and a speed duel developed there's no telling how fast she could go. Besides the fact that she's one of the all time greats, she has to go down in history as one of the most powerful closers of all time, with the likes of Forego, Silky Sullivan.

Her last 1 1/4 half fraction was 47. and change. I really wouldn't say slow. Some races had moderate fractions. Some has some faster ones. But hey if she can do it,it'll probably be on dirt. I think we'll get a good reading on her dirt speed during her dirt races this year. Seems like she handles it off her one dirt race so far.
But I'd say wins and safety is more important than a sub 2:00 time.

Hanover1
03-16-2010, 12:10 AM
If thats what she has to do to win, I say shes up to it talent wise. The question is, will whomever cut those fractions hang with her? Not unheard of.....

Spalding No!
03-16-2010, 01:15 AM
has a filly ever broke 2 minutes in a 1 1/4 mile race. could zenyatta do it? i say yes without a doubt.

Princessnesian won the '68 Hollywood Gold Cup and Coup De Fusil won the '87 Delaware Handicap both in 1:59+.

OntheRail
03-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes but those last few ticks... are always the hardest to beat. ;)

bisket
03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
If thats what she has to do to win, I say shes up to it talent wise. The question is, will whomever cut those fractions hang with her? Not unheard of.....
yes if she does it. the track would most likely be the type that the speed would be there with her. you know this mare has to this point has done whatever it takes to be first to the wire. in saturdays race: santa anita has been playing very fast just off the rail in the stretch. smith knew thats where she needed to be, and zen was able to make it happen. the more she races the better she gets. to be that athletic and that big. i don't think many people really realize what zenyatta pulled off saturday. amazing!!! i'm not a guy that slobbers all over horses often, but if she does as well as i think she's going to this year. i'll be pinching myself. i was really pissed last year about the way her owner decided to race her because i thought we only scratched the surface of what she can be......

pandy
03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Her agility for her size is amazing, I agree.

Cratos
03-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Last year in the BC Classic Zenyatta was timed in 2:00.62 for the 1 ¼ mile race and in that race her jockey, Mike smith got locked in behind two horses and almost checked Zenyatta before swinging wide to win the race.

Put a jockey like Javier Castellano on Zenyatta and let her run at Belmont with its wide sweeping turns which would be favorable to Zenyatta’s long stride and massive body; I believe she would get the 1 ¼ mile in a sub-two minute time.