PDA

View Full Version : shut-out: confession of a nitwit

oddsmaven
03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Sunk to a new level in getting shut-out yesterday.
Aqueduct was a miserable card with tons of scratches in the slop...I patiently watched all day until I had a bet in the last race.

Conspiring to interfere was that the NYRA website tote was down plus my wife just walked in the door after being away at a four day conference.

I made my greeting brief & went back to meticulously preparing a spread of exacta bets based on glimpses of the late odds on TVG...was putting them in, assuming a minute left & suddenly they switched to the race & Imbriale hollered "They're off!"

Watched in horror as my horse led by a mile throughout on top of a $56.50 exacta ...a duncecap is mine after waiting 4 freakin' hours to place a bet and getting shut-out. :bang:

Ian Meyers
03-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Been there done that. My good friend lamboguy will often beat me up over it.."how the f*%$# could you get shut out?? We talked about that race 2 hrs ago."

I have no good excuse other than I sometimes get distracted when playing from home when my wife and son are around. The way I look at it is if you are a 1.02 ROI player (which is pretty damn good) you'll cost yourself only 2% of the $$ amount of shut-outs throughout the year. The mind is a wonderful thing; we only seem to remember bets we get shut out on that would have won and forget those that didn't. :)

Stillriledup
03-16-2010, 02:42 AM
My last 'shut out nitwit' moment was a horse i had been following, but didnt put him in stable mail. One day i'm sitting home watching TVG and there, breaking out of the gate at some other track was the horse i was following from a different track. The guy shipped out of town and went wire to wire without a dime of my money aboard. I hear Imbriale call the name of a horse who sounded very familiar, i rip open my form as the runners went down the backstretch to see yep, that was the horse i was waiting to pounce on.

Really sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach. And, there's no use to root against the horse, you know it can't lose when that happens.

JustRalph
03-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Got shut out on a Horse at Pimlico that paid 96 bucks once.

I was talking on the phone and perked up just in time to hear them leave the gate. What a pisser that was........

You are not alone...happens to the best of us.

Greyfox
03-17-2010, 02:05 AM
I was shut out tonight for a bet at Turf Paradise.
I saved myself a lot of money.
God, or the racing god, has his ways...:jump:

Stillriledup
03-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Got shut out on a Horse at Pimlico that paid 96 bucks once.

I was talking on the phone and perked up just in time to hear them leave the gate. What a pisser that was........

You are not alone...happens to the best of us.

I was in a las vegas handicapping tournament a while back, this is before the NHC ever existed. I got shut out on a 45-1 shot that would have at least landed me in the top 10. I was young and not tournament savvy and got distracted by someone talking to me and missed this race.

Anyone who's been in the game a long time has plenty of stories like this.

CincyHorseplayer
03-17-2010, 07:10 AM
I think we've all victimized ourselves with this at some point.I know I've had to discipline myself if I'm betting at home.Cooking lunch between races or engaging in conversation took 2 winners from me last year.Too comfortable!Since then I've given myself and others around me the "I'm not playing with Monopoly money" speech.It's an effective measure.

Space Monkey
03-17-2010, 08:08 AM
It happened to me Sunday. I didn't have a good Derby day at Tampa Sat so I decided to take Sun off. But I had 1 horse on my watch list running late in the card. I thought it was the 8th, but when I checked in around the 6th, I saw it was in the 10th. Since I was pretty sure it would be going off at good odds, I should have bet it then, but I decided to wait. A friend of mine came over with his roommates dog. Then I got a call from a friend back home whose coming to visit in May. Long conversation. I've got 1 eye on my 70 lb shepherd as this 5 pound dog is nipping away at her. Why do all little dogs do that? Its annoying and if it pisses off my dog, its bad news for him. Good thing shes got a gentle streak. Well my friend leaves and I'm standing here talking to my wife about annoying little dogs and I go back to my computer. Shit, its late. I bring up Twin Spires and its the 11th. I don't want to see the results, I want to watch the race so I wait for the replay. Uno Chapo ($19.40) runs just like he did the last time (when I had him) only this time the JOCK KEEPS HIM STRAIGHT ON THE TURN and he wins. :bang: :bang: :bang: