PDA

View Full Version : the official ncaa tourney upset alert thread

Cubbymac26
03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
just got done watching the ncaa selection show and there seems to be some potential upsets in the ncaas.. here are a few teams that can spring some upsets at least ranking wise upsets..

cornell
siena
new mexico state

anybody remember vermont beating the cuse a few years ago nows its a number 1 seed vs a 16 seed im just saying.... lightning strike twice?????

dav4463
03-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I went to the University of North Texas. The Mean Green won 11 in a row and won the Sunbelt Championship.

I was hoping for a 13 or 14 seed so they would have a fighting chance, but they got a 15 and have to face Kansas State.

That was a bit disappointing. I was surprised that Sam Houston State got a 14 and will play Baylor. I think North Texas could hang with Baylor a lot better than Kansas State.

How did SHSU get a higher seed than UNT ?

My surprise team to watch is Siena. I like them to go to the Sweet Sixteen. I like their guard play and their history. They beat Ohio State last year I believe in the tournament.

Another possible shocking upset: Watch out for Wofford !

Cubbymac26
03-14-2010, 11:55 PM
i think with the chalk dominating the last 3 years in the ncaas i thing the bombs are getting ready to fly in.... i think cornell as a 12 is a disgrace at one point they were ranked 22..they should be a 6 at worst case

always thursday and friday are the 2 greatest days of the year in sports.. horse racing and poker will have to take a back seat to the ncaas

sandpit
03-15-2010, 08:42 AM
A number 1 seed has never lost to a #16, so if you're looking for upsets start with 2 vs 15.

Robert Goren
03-15-2010, 10:45 AM
This year I didn't get in to college hoops so won't pay a lot of attention to it except for K-State. A high school friend of mine played there in the late 60s for Tex Winter. I kinda have a soft spot for them.

PhantomOnTour
03-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm looking for big things from Baylor. They have the weakest #1 seed in their bracket (Duke, imo) and as a 3 seed they can make the Final Four. Great story if they can considering the tragedy that struck that program not long ago...go Bears.

BetHorses!
03-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I am against Kentucky in the pools. Think they bow out early, Texas maybe wisc

Saratoga_Mike
03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Is there anyway this isn't Siena vs. Vandy in the final?

Marshall Bennett
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Baylor Bears , they're hungry . Beware .

Cubbymac26
03-15-2010, 11:47 PM
i love how the made notre dame sweat till the last two teams picked on cbs..mike brey had to be sick to there stomach

eastie
03-16-2010, 01:49 AM
oakland's good, Pitt stinks. 10 points is a gift
temple is good....final four team
northern iowa will give kansas all they can handle....big upset chance to make the sweet 16
murray st is also very good
siena is a live dog for sure

in the NIT bet all the MVC teams..they will all advance.

also my alma mater Northeastern will beat former coach (Reggie Lewis era) Jim calhoun and UConn as 8 point dogs.

Cubbymac26
03-16-2010, 03:08 AM
i was in vegas for the northeastern providence game had my balls on n eastern only to be done in by a early providence onslaught....

anybody think if they went to vegas i would put 50 on each dog and 40 each dog first half.... but im sooooooooooo far from vegas no action for me ill be spectating

onefast99
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
just got done watching the ncaa selection show and there seems to be some potential upsets in the ncaas.. here are a few teams that can spring some upsets at least ranking wise upsets..

cornell
siena
new mexico state

anybody remember vermont beating the cuse a few years ago nows its a number 1 seed vs a 16 seed im just saying.... lightning strike twice?????
In 2005 SU turned the ball over 24 times, losing 60-57 on a 3 point shot by Sorrentine of Vermont. Cuse had a chance to tie it but Gmac couldn't hit the last second 3. Vermonts coach Tom Brennan couldn't even speak he was crying so hard. SU has a lot more depth and quickness. Cuse by 15.

Bettowin
03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
northern iowa will give kansas all they can handle....big upset chance to make the sweet 16

also my alma mater Northeastern will beat former coach (Reggie Lewis era) Jim calhoun and UConn as 8 point dogs.

KU will not lose to Northern Iowa. UNI is good but not even close to the athleticism of KU. UNI was great at home but very beatable on the road and at neutral sites. They play great defense and are truly a 10 person deep team but those boys haven't seen anything like what KU can throw at them. With that said it is the NCAA tournament and anything can happen.

I do agree with taking all the MVC teams in the NIT. The MVC is always overlooked and plays a tough defensive style which gives tournament teams fits.

Good luck all:)

OTM Al
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Siena is way too wiseguy. Yes I am a Purdue Alum but this is a team that would likely have been a #1 seed with Hummel and while he is/was very important to their game plan, I still believe the should handle Siena and will also have a decent 2nd round game as well. Too many others that were on the team that were putting up very big numbers regularly have simply been missing shot after shot in both the Mich St game (one they should have won anyway) and then the drubbing by Minnesota. That should change.

Saratoga_Mike
03-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Siena is way too wiseguy. Yes I am a Purdue Alum but this is a team that would likely have been a #1 seed with Hummel and while he is/was very important to their game plan, I still believe the should handle Siena and will also have a decent 2nd round game as well. Too many others that were on the team that were putting up very big numbers regularly have simply been missing shot after shot in both the Mich St game (one they should have won anyway) and then the drubbing by Minnesota. That should change.

You're out of your mind. Okay I went to Siena and hope you're mistaken.

Cubbymac26
03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
what a sick start hoping rm pulls out a ot stunner dont like their chances though

ldiatone
03-18-2010, 06:31 PM

please, don't type pitt "stinks". the team did finish 2-4th in the big east.
the team was not expected to make the ncaa, and pitt played a very tough schedule w/ all the big east teams. 9 years making the ncaa tourney and uconn, nc, ucla are not there. true pitt may lose early, but they don't stink w/ a 3 seed

cj's dad
03-18-2010, 08:20 PM
I have them going to the Final Four !!

OTM Al
03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Big East should have been 0-4 yesterday. Good thing they got so many teams in....

rastajenk
03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Go Bobcats! What a beatdown that was. :eek:

:ThmbUp:

cj's dad
03-19-2010, 10:42 AM
How could anyone other than alumni pick Ohio to beat GU ??

OTM Al
03-19-2010, 02:34 PM
And another overrated team falls in Temple. Got Cornell beating Wisconsin in the next round as well. Good team.

OTM Al
03-19-2010, 03:26 PM
You're out of your mind. Okay I went to Siena and hope you're mistaken.

I may be. They are missing shots again. Amazing the difference between this and a team that would have been a near lock on a #1 seed is a guy who probably wouldn't even warm the bench on a NBA team.

rastajenk
03-19-2010, 04:24 PM
And another overrated team falls in Temple. Got Cornell beating Wisconsin in the next round as well. Good team. The Big Cheeses got to get past the mighty Woffords first; looks like they have their hands full.

Cubbymac26
03-19-2010, 04:32 PM
if your in vegas betting these games even if you bet everyunder dog its just tough these games turn on a dime cant see how people survive out there for 4 days......

i love vermont +15.5
florida state blows out gonzaga

first tourney in 3 years the chalk going down consistantly

ldiatone
03-19-2010, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=cj's dad]How could anyone other than alumni pick Ohio to beat GU ??[/QUO

true, but GU did play long in the big east tourney(which is kinda meaningless) and maybe where a little "weary" and took ohio to lightly.
there all still kids, not like the pros. i also thought george would go futher.
the one that got me was temple getting beat. how about the 'dame outta there early. "bobby" Moris almost beat nova. that would have been sweet for the Moon township area....(suburb of the 'burg)

cj's dad
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=cj's dad]How could anyone other than alumni pick Ohio to beat GU ??[/QUO

true, but GU did play long in the big east tourney(which is kinda meaningless) and maybe where a little "weary" and took ohio to lightly.
there all still kids, not like the pros. i also thought george would go futher.
the one that got me was temple getting beat. how about the 'dame outta there early. "bobby" Moris almost beat nova. that would have been sweet for the Moon township area....(suburb of the 'burg)

I'm thinking that the talent is being spread around so much that these kids know that if they attend a certain school with certain players having been assigned a scholarship that they will not get to play on a regular basis.

My point is that the guys who are pretty damn good in their own right, go to a "lesser" name school where they will start; such as the Ohio's, Murray States, Northern Iowas etc....

BetHorses!
03-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I am against Kansas now. Looked awful against Lehigh. N. Iowa for the limit please....

Robert Goren
03-19-2010, 11:54 PM
if your in vegas betting these games even if you bet everyunder dog its just tough these games turn on a dime cant see how people survive out there for 4 days......

i love vermont +15.5
florida state blows out gonzaga

first tourney in 3 years the chalk going down consistantly I learned a long time ago that betting hoops was not for the "faint of heart" and that I have very faint heart.;)

PhantomOnTour
03-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Last year I read that the best way to win your bracket is to pick the highest seed to win every game. Has anyone done a study on this?

I don't fill out brackets (total crap shoot, imo) and try to predict who will win a game 2wks from now. It's tough enough to pick a horse race 2mins from now, and I know who's running.

Thanks for any info on the higher seed theory.

dav4463
03-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Picking the higher seed will keep you in an office pool longer since the final four usually has a couple of 1's and 2's in there, but if you have as many upsets as this year..............you may get too far behind!

OTM Al
03-20-2010, 08:30 AM
You pick a few upsets in the first round, but after that everything always goes pretty much to form. (though I admit I broke that rule this year with Butler beating Syracuse and A&M beating Duke, will probably lose both those....). Never go with the wiseguy picks. If all the pundits are screaming how good the Big East and Big 12 are (like they are this year) pick against all but the top teams (I wish I didn't think G'town was one of those....). There was too much talk of how good Temple was for my taste and I thought Cornell was good. Wiseguy team bites the dust. And I never watch any games. Sports radio does all the work for me. Finished in the 99.9th % on ESPN last year and sitting at 96.6% right now. Not bad.

Cubbymac26
03-20-2010, 03:21 PM
wise guy picks always down the drain.... can u say siena!!!!!!!

dav4463
03-20-2010, 04:45 PM
My bracket is all torn up!

Overlay
03-20-2010, 08:05 PM
I am against Kansas now. Looked awful against Lehigh. N. Iowa for the limit please....

How much did you make? ;)

BetHorses!
03-20-2010, 08:19 PM
How much did you make? ;)

I creamed em on this. Plus I had reverses into St. Mary and Washington. But in fairness i've had a terrible 2 months. Confidence is now back with the sports... :ThmbUp:

eastie
03-20-2010, 08:23 PM
good job....keep it going. the dogs will bark tomorrow too. UNI has been awesome all year, and should roll to the final 4

Cubbymac26
03-21-2010, 01:53 AM
all chalk all the time in the late session both games were over early

Robert Goren
03-21-2010, 05:25 AM
We are now back to the Kansas that we came to know and love during Roy Williams' stint as coach there. High seed, out early.;)

Richard
03-21-2010, 10:06 AM
I cant help but wonder how many million brackets are now totally decimated?Great day for the bookies,I'm sure.

Rookies
03-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm on the "locals" today: "Let's Go Orange" !

As an odd twist of fate, I once played against Andy Rautins' Uncle- George... in High School.

Of course, that was sooooo long ago, that my entire league was made up of one race, and it sure as hell wasn't the one seen in the N.B.A. today ! :lol:

toetoe
03-21-2010, 12:18 PM
N. Iowa for the limit please....

Yo Adrian !!! He did it !!! :ThmbUp:

onefast99
03-22-2010, 11:08 AM

cornell
siena
new mexico state

Cuse vs Butler very good match-ups, Butler a slow methodical team who likes to keep the score in the 60's will try and keep the Cuse from running...good luck! Cuse by 17.

Overlay
03-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Butler beats 'Cuse 63-59 to reach the Elite Eight for the first time! Go Bulldogs!

onefast99
03-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Butler beats 'Cuse 63-59 to reach the Elite Eight for the first time! Go Bulldogs!
Butler really won? I thought SU beat themselves with 24 turnovers. Whoever Butler plays next will spank them.

BetHorses!
03-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Butler really won? I thought SU beat themselves with 24 turnovers. Whoever Butler plays next will spank them.

I saw a great team effort by Butler who survived a couple of serious cuse runs including one very late. Do not sell Butler short.

Valuist
03-26-2010, 12:02 AM

I wouldn't be too sure about anybody "spanking" them. Are you trying to say most of the 24 turnovers were unforced? Face it, the Big East really sucks this year, and their performance is the tournament has been dreadful.

OTM Al
03-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Butler is a solid team and happily sealed my last good tourney pick last night. 4-4 last night and can't win a single one tonight alas. Oh well, as many, my overall chance on the brackets went down in flames last week. While I had them losing in the last round, all I have left to say is Go Boilers!!!!

onefast99
03-27-2010, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't be too sure about anybody "spanking" them. Are you trying to say most of the 24 turnovers were unforced? Face it, the Big East really sucks this year, and their performance is the tournament has been dreadful.
Dreadful BE performance? I guess you were watching the horse races instead of the games. Marquette loses at the end, Notre Dame loses at the end. Gtown got spanked, I will give you that one. Syracuse turned the ball over 18 times of which 12 were unforced and that led to 23 Butler points. Butler shot 24% from the 3 point arc, that will equate to a 20 point loss vs KState. I will give Butler credit in one area, they never quit when down by 4 with 3mins to go and SU had the ball, but if you think Butler was better then Syracuse you are sadly mistaken.

BetHorses!
03-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Dreadful BE performance? I guess you were watching the horse races instead of the games. Marquette loses at the end, Notre Dame loses at the end. Gtown got spanked, I will give you that one. Syracuse turned the ball over 18 times of which 12 were unforced and that led to 23 Butler points. Butler shot 24% from the 3 point arc, that will equate to a 20 point loss vs KState. I will give Butler credit in one area, they never quit when down by 4 with 3mins to go and SU had the ball, but if you think Butler was better then Syracuse you are sadly mistaken.

Yes Big East was weak. You left out Pitt losing to Xav.

onefast99
03-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes Big East was weak. You left out Pitt losing to Xav.
Xavier did its job took the steam out of Kstate so Butler gets the 1st of the final four births. Great coaching by the the young Butler coach. He may be on his way to a 1m plus job with a major program. WVU will play Kentucky tough look for another 1 seed to bite the dust.

Rise Over Run
03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
is a nice college town. If anyone would like to visit the town, my suggestion is to do so over the next 6 days. Win or lose in the Final Four, Morgantown is sure to cumble....

onefast99
03-28-2010, 01:46 PM
is a nice college town. If anyone would like to visit the town, my suggestion is to do so over the next 6 days. Win or lose in the Final Four, Morgantown is sure to cumble....
Huggins has this team firing on all 8 cylinders, they are very physical and that is the magic potion you need going into the final four. No real offensive powers left in the dance Duke has weapons but a good defense wil keep them in the low 60's. I like Duke/WVU with WVU going to the finals and beating Butler.

PhantomOnTour
03-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm looking for big things from Baylor. They have the weakest #1 seed in their bracket (Duke, imo) and as a 3 seed they can make the Final Four. Great story if they can considering the tragedy that struck that program not long ago...go Bears.

Awwwwwwwww SHAZBOT!!!!

Nice run Bears...almost.

OTM Al
03-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Huggins has this team firing on all 8 cylinders, they are very physical and that is the magic potion you need going into the final four. No real offensive powers left in the dance Duke has weapons but a good defense wil keep them in the low 60's. I like Duke/WVU with WVU going to the finals and beating Butler.

Butler has a real shot here. They play a strong team oriented game, heavy on defense much like Purdue, who when at full strength the crap out of WVU and Michigan State (and should have beat them even without Hummel the 2nd time) and played strong against Duke as well. Only liability is if essentially playing at home will be too much a distraction.

onefast99
03-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Butler has a real shot here. They play a strong team oriented game, heavy on defense much like Purdue, who when at full strength the crap out of WVU and Michigan State (and should have beat them even without Hummel the 2nd time) and played strong against Duke as well. Only liability is if essentially playing at home will be too much a distraction.
Butler is on a roll playing at home for a chance to win the NC is a once in a lifetime thing. I do like WVU to take the crown, as said before Huggins has been here before and has the horses this year.

rastajenk
03-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Huggins is not worthy; too cheap to buy a personality, let alone a decent suit. The IZ and Coach K will square off in the Finale, leading all the leading Bracketologists to wonder in hindsight, "How could I have missed something so easy?"

onefast99
03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Huggins is not worthy; too cheap to buy a personality, let alone a decent suit. The IZ and Coach K will square off in the Finale, leading all the leading Bracketologists to wonder in hindsight, "How could I have missed something so easy?"
I do like Izzo, don't get me wrong. WVU is going to the NC game look for the Big East tourney champs to cut down the nets.

rastajenk
03-29-2010, 04:40 PM
I hit submit before I meant to add this:
http://wiscosotasports.com/wp-content/Images/BobThuggins.jpg

onefast99
04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I hit submit before I meant to add this:
http://wiscosotasports.com/wp-content/Images/BobThuggins.jpg
He is 60#'s heavier now and is sporting that nice WVU long sleeved jersey. Where did he get that suit from?