PDA

View Full Version : Post race video Zenyatta

gm10
03-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Great stuff!

If RA hadn't been at FG yesterday, I would have bet that the guy with the red cap was JJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2LZU0boRE

statik27
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
was the guy in the red hat Jack van berg?

illinoisbred
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
He sure looked like Van Berg.

gm10
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
was the guy in the red hat Jack van berg?

could be
I thought Jack was carrying a bit more (1983) holiday weight but I'm not sure

Ejmenz
03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
That was Jack Van Berg, just as interested to see the queen as regular folk.

I have never before, and I am positive I will never see again, any horse with that much charisma.

Jasonm921
03-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Im a Rachel Fan and respect what Zenyatta has done. I wish she would come to NY. One thing I liked from the video was the fact Smith brought her up the track for the applause. They never do that here.

Fingal
03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Yep, that was JVB. That's the red hat he's been wearing lately.

46zilzal
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
nice ...Have not seen that response since old John Henry ran there years back.

cpitt84
03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Anyone else wonder why Zenyatta almost always beats mares by several lengths? Why does she always start from the back?

Do you think her greatness will be measured in wins or will those wins be tainted by her "inability" to dominate a field of mares?

Seabiscuit@AR
03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Greatness is measured by winning. The other thing is the wins have to be in big races and generally spaced out over a number of a years (so there is a longevity requirement too I guess)

The public warms to a horse that wins all or most of the big races it contests even if only winning by a small margin. The public does not warm to a horse that can destroy a good field by many lengths one day but then fall to a disappointing defeat the next

Seabiscuit@AR
03-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Having a great rivalry with another horse or horses helps too. People get into that and remember that

classhandicapper
03-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Anyone else wonder why Zenyatta almost always beats mares by several lengths? Why does she always start from the back?

Do you think her greatness will be measured in wins or will those wins be tainted by her "inability" to dominate a field of mares?

It's almost impossible to win by a large margin the way races develop on both turf/synthetic surfaces. That goes double for a horse like Zenyatta.

BeatTheChalk
03-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Last time I saw JVB was about 20 years ago. My friend's relatives owned Din's Dancer way back in the late 80's. And JVB was the trainer. The kids always wanted to be in the Derby and so they were :) If the pic is in fact -- Jack .. he added a lot of pounds over the years - but then who hasn't.
Of course we will never Ever forget Alysheba. :ThmbUp:

joanied
03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
GM10...thanks for the video...I'm typing, but can't see the keys very well because my eyes are all teary...horse racing is meant to be an emotional sport...all that jumping up & down, hootin' & hollerin'...then there is the extreme emotions...goosebumps and tears...this is what Zenyatta does...I believe she can make a grown man cry...and that is wonderful.

Great to see JVB in the crowd...bet it brought back vivid memories of how much everyone loved Alysheba...I read recently they are putting up a big statue to Alysheba (I believe at the Kentucky Horse Park)...wonder if he will be there for the unveiling. I also read that JVB is moving his barn to Illinois?
:)

gm10
03-19-2010, 05:25 PM

If you had to assess Zenyatta's ability, would you look at her 15/15 record (including 9 G1 victories), or mainly her average winning margin?

gm10
03-19-2010, 05:29 PM
GM10...thanks for the video...I'm typing, but can't see the keys very well because my eyes are all teary...horse racing is meant to be an emotional sport...all that jumping up & down, hootin' & hollerin'...then there is the extreme emotions...goosebumps and tears...this is what Zenyatta does...I believe she can make a grown man cry...and that is wonderful.

Great to see JVB in the crowd...bet it brought back vivid memories of how much everyone loved Alysheba...I read recently they are putting up a big statue to Alysheba (I believe at the Kentucky Horse Park)...wonder if he will be there for the unveiling. I also read that JVB is moving his barn to Illinois?

She's a unique talent who has a unique relationship with the audience: a great way to attract new fans to racing (in my view).

46zilzal
03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
If you had to assess Zenyatta's ability, would you look at her 15/15 record (including 9 G1 victories), or mainly her average winning margin?
This animal has not yet hit a pace scenario that could defeat her, plain as that....I really don't think a faster pace up front, unless it was much shorter than 9 furlongs, would hurt her.

gm10
03-19-2010, 05:37 PM
This animal has not yet hit a pace scenario that could defeat her, plain as that....I really don't think a faster pace up front, unless it was much shorter than 9 furlongs, would hurt her.

Pace scenario is rather unimportant in proper grade 1 contests over two turns. And given the fact that the opposition had 15 opportunities so far to set up an unfavorable pace scenario, I'm thinking there are other reasons why she hasn't lost yet.

CryingForTheHorses
03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
That was Jack Van Berg, just as interested to see the queen as regular folk.

I have never before, and I am positive I will never see again, any horse with that much charisma.

This mare knows that she is good,She also seems to like the crowd..Great video

Charlie D
03-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Pace scenario is rather unimportant in proper grade 1 contests over two turns.

It is the pace scenario or the Dynamics of Incremental Velocity and Energy Exertion(Sartin methodology) that deterimines the outcome of every race.

46zilzal
03-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Pace scenario is rather unimportant in proper grade 1 contests over two turns. And given the fact that the opposition had 15 opportunities so far to set up an unfavorable pace scenario, I'm thinking there are other reasons why she hasn't lost yet.
Pace is important in every race that has ever been run and this mare has not met a single one that she could not overhaul.......

If one wanted her to get beat, run her at 6 furlongs at Philadelphia park and she might not get there.

illinoisbred
03-19-2010, 06:53 PM
... I also read that JVB is moving his barn to Illinois?
I read somewhere VanBerg will have a stable at Thistledown this year.

born2ride
03-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Great stuff!

If RA hadn't been at FG yesterday, I would have bet that the guy with the red cap was JJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2LZU0boRE
My gawd that horse knows she is loved, appreciated, and a great talent! As someone who grew up in So Cal and still lives here, with all that is wrong with California right now this mare has given hope to a lot of people. Sounds kind of corny, but my neighbors got to see her in the SM and only did so because SA is 1/2 hour away and they needed something positive in their life as the husband just lost his job. Thanks for posting the video!

cpitt84
03-20-2010, 01:10 AM

I am just playing devil's advocate because of critics out there.

joanied
03-20-2010, 11:11 AM
I read somewhere VanBerg will have a stable at Thistledown this year.

That's probably it...I was going to post it, but got busy and can't find the article anymore...but I guess we both read something about it ;) ... I wonder why he's doing this...he's been in CA. forever...kind of a shame, IMO.

illinoisbred
03-20-2010, 11:15 AM
That's probably it...I was going to post it, but got busy and can't find the article anymore...but I guess we both read something about it ;) ... I wonder why he's doing this...he's been in CA. forever...kind of a shame, IMO.
I think he picked-up a new owner that resides in Ohio-one who wants to see his horses run.

joanied
03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I think he picked-up a new owner that resides in Ohio-one who wants to see his horses run.

Well, that's a good enough reason to move. Hope he has great good luck there.

gm10
03-20-2010, 12:11 PM
It is the pace scenario or the Dynamics of Incremental Velocity and Energy Exertion(Sartin methodology) that deterimines the outcome of every race.

That sort of statement doesn't leave much room for discussion. How would you prove it, anyway?

gm10
03-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Pace is important in every race that has ever been run and this mare has not met a single one that she could not overhaul.......

If one wanted her to get beat, run her at 6 furlongs at Philadelphia park and she might not get there.

This is good. So now you are faulting her because she hasn't run in a 6F sprint @ Philly (or similar)? Do you know why they call them Classic distances?

cpitt84
03-25-2010, 08:36 PM
I found this picture of baby Zenyatta and I had to share it...so cute!

source: facebook..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zenyatta/67035090018?v=wall#!/photo.php?pid=4803445&op=4&o=global&view=global&subj=67035090018&id=685892428

Cratos
03-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Very well stated

Cratos
03-25-2010, 08:45 PM

If what you say is true; you know something that many, many others do not and you should win virtually every bet you wager at the G1 level in races around two turns.

Cratos
03-25-2010, 08:55 PM

I agree with you up to a point and that point is if she had been in last year's Mother Goose (I realize it is a race for 3yo fillies), she would have been all out to beat the performance of Rachel in that race.

Zenyatta just haven't met a Seattle Slew or Affirmed type horse that has both speed and stamina with the style to run on the front end for a distance and don't come back to the pack.

Gio Ponti in last year's BC Classic had the speed, but didn't have the stamina to sustain that speed for 1 1/4 miles; therefore Zenyatta beat him.

cpitt84
03-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Pretty neat:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56104/autistic-boy-connects-with-zenyatta

"Among her qualities are patience and understanding. Shirreffs told the story of Jack, a 5-year-old boy with autism who became one of Zenyatta’s biggest fans. Autism is a disorder that affects development of the brain. People with autism have problems talking and understanding, and they usually have poor social skills. But Zenyatta goes with the flow.

“Jack zeroes in on Zenyatta,” Shirreffs said. “He pushes on her with his finger. He doesn’t know how to pet her, but he wants to touch her, so he takes his finger and goes like this (poking gesture), and then starts screaming really loud, to express his happiness."

gm10
03-26-2010, 09:18 AM
If what you say is true; you know something that many, many others do not and you should win virtually every bet you wager at the G1 level in races around two turns.

Suppose you were right. How would that present itself in the results of those races?

joanied
03-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Pretty neat:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56104/autistic-boy-connects-with-zenyatta

"Among her qualities are patience and understanding. Shirreffs told the story of Jack, a 5-year-old boy with autism who became one of Zenyatta’s biggest fans. Autism is a disorder that affects development of the brain. People with autism have problems talking and understanding, and they usually have poor social skills. But Zenyatta goes with the flow.

“Jack zeroes in on Zenyatta,” Shirreffs said. “He pushes on her with his finger. He doesn’t know how to pet her, but he wants to touch her, so he takes his finger and goes like this (poking gesture), and then starts screaming really loud, to express his happiness."

Thanks so much for posting that link to this story...so heartwarming, and this is the stuff that needs to be picked up by the media and shown on TV so folks can see what incredible creatures horses are...especially the special horses, like Zenyatta, that seem to have the ability to really tune into people...
my brother has an Autistic son, he's 10 yrs. old now...there is something going on with Autistic children and horses...my nephew, Connor, has been a horse lover since he was a baby...he was actually born on Kentucky Derby day...when I was raising foals, you couldn't get Connor away from the foals or the mares...my foals were so good about people...you could do anything with them, so Connor was safe with them, he'd lay down with a napping foal and you could see the joy on his face...and the mares were great with Connor to...to the point that he could get underneath them...he was watching a foal nurse on e time, and decided he'd give it a try...that mare didn't move a muscle...
I have no doubt that horses are some of the best medicine you can give a child that is Autistic...
wonderful stuff.

statik27
03-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey Joanied,

If you want to see how sherriffs operates his barn, check out his Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jonshfs05

Its a great insight into how he runs his barn. Looks like a nice place to work. Plus he's got videos going all the way back to 2008.

joanied
03-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey Joanied,

If you want to see how sherriffs operates his barn, check out his Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jonshfs05

Its a great insight into how he runs his barn. Looks like a nice place to work. Plus he's got videos going all the way back to 2008.

Hey statik27...Thanks :ThmbUp: I have been there a few times, but now I have the link saved in my tabs...I would have to think that Sherriff's is just so good to work for...everything around the barn seems so tranquil...bet once he hires you, you never leave. I think it's a little bit of 'horse heaven' :) :) :)