PDA

View Full Version : Should Zenyatta Retire, She could break down..What do you think?

Igeteven
03-14-2010, 01:30 AM
I know we all love to watch a super star run on the track.

Question to all, how many times can this mare go into combat on a race track before the horse breaks down.

I not trying to be a hard ass on this, however, I love horses and I never want to see any horse break down on any track.

She is six now, I think she should go to the farm and raise a family of future winners.

I feel she has to prove nothing to anyone , she has done it all.

What do you think?

adwplayingfool
03-14-2010, 01:38 AM
If rachel does not run in the AB I think she should retire 15-0 has a nice ring to it however if Rachel comes to Oaklawn I say send her into battle one more time, the style of run she has always scares me especially today diving through that hole towards the rail then cutting back out takes a toll on an athlete especially at that speed, win or lose I hope the AB is her last if she does run.

Greyfox
03-14-2010, 01:38 AM

Question to all, how many times can this mare go into combat on a race track before the horse breaks down.

I not trying to be a hard ass on this, however, I love horses and I never want to see any horse break down on any track.

She is six now, I think she should go to the farm and raise a family of future winners.

What do you think?

I would have retired her after last season as an Undefeated mare.
That would make her the stuff of legends.
Obviously she's great, but how many times can they go to the well?

Tuffmug
03-14-2010, 01:42 AM

What do you think?

She is more lightly raced than most horses in training now. She wins her races with plenty in reserve so it is very unlikely that she will break down. Only person that would like to see her retire is Jess Jackson. Are you Jess Jackson? ;)

tzipi
03-14-2010, 01:45 AM
She hasn't run in the toughest battles race after race. Plus she's run 15 times. How many top horses run more than 15 times... a lot. I enjoy seeing her run. If she's healthy, I don't see anything wrong with running her UNLESS they are nervous they have to ship or nervous about losing a race. But if you retire from those reasons than they should just wrap up horse racing all together. Let all the top horses have a full and safe year :ThmbUp:

Igeteven
03-14-2010, 01:48 AM
She is more lightly raced than most horses in training now. She wins her races with plenty in reserve so it is very unlikely that she will break down. Only person that would like to see her retire is Jess Jackson. Are you Jess Jackson? ;)

Hell No!

:) :) :) :) :)

Nitro
03-14-2010, 03:02 AM

What do you think?What I'd like to know is how do you come up with these type of questions??? Obviously you don't have a clue about why these horses are bred. Do you think for a minute that that Z's connections would run their horse if they any doubts about its condition?

Why not take some time to read about thoroughbred racing history. Hopefully you'll come away with a far better understanding of just how resilient the majority of these thoroughbreds are, especially when kept in top condition.

But lets get real! Accidents can happen anywhere at anytime!
Thats life! Get over it!

tzipi
03-14-2010, 03:04 AM

I don't think Jess Jackson wants her retired.
1. He's a horseman who likes to have these superstars for racing and the fans.
2. Zenyatta has not beaten RA or run on dirt except for a while back once.

letswastemoney
03-14-2010, 03:07 AM
By your logic, horse racing should be banned (which is a valid argument if you want to make it but...)

you can't just say "Well Zenyatta might break her leg"

EVERY horse could break their leg in any given race, from 2 year olds to 13 year olds and beyond.

These are racehorses. It's what they do. All we can do for the horses is provide enough safety measures to limit the risk of injury

tzipi
03-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Yeah so dont retire RA or Gio Ponti or Careless Jewel or whoever?? Just Zenyatta. She's above who? Seems like an excuse not to goto dirt or against RA. Thats was RA first race after a long layoff and not her 3rd race of the year. That would've been bad.
Zenyatta is fine and let's not ruin the fans and racing so they can retire her before she runs somewhere else. You want to retire Zenny, than you have to retire every horse that has run 10-15 times. Ridiculous. Let Zenny and the healthy top horses run.

jballscalls
03-14-2010, 09:54 AM
another optimistic question by del mar legend igeteven!!

even if she loses, so what, it's not the end of the world, she's still a great mare regardless with everything she's accomplished.

As far as breaking down, sure it could happen, and it would be awful. But if it did happen, i'm sure it would be from a horrible step or bad luck, certainly not because she was sore or injured, connections wouldn't send her out unless she was in tip top condition at this point.

domino1891
03-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Should Rachel Alexandra Retire, She could break down..What do you think?

jognlope
03-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Any horse can break down at any time, after one race or 90. Unbridled Danger has raced 75 times, no breakdown. Is there a bone density test for horses and would it even predict a breakdown.

Grits
03-14-2010, 11:01 AM
This question is hilarious, even by today's standards, though, owners are notorious for heading to breeding sheds.

Can I remind you, not of the many horses of decades ago that we're familiar with--ones that Tzipi has often spoke of in these discussions--but more recent ones like:

Better Talk Now: 51 starts

Evening Attire: 69 starts

Both multiple graded stakes winners, how many times over?

Both raced until, and retired, at age 10.

These are just two, IGE. They were both geldings, still there have been fine runners that raced for a number of years.

Zenyatta loves her work, she loves being a racehorse.

cj's dad
03-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Um, is everyone forgetting that she has a chance to tie and surpass Citations record 16 in a row ??

Just a thought.

Tom
03-14-2010, 11:12 AM
What do you think?

I think none of us know anything at all.
Would you have retired Big Red after his Wood?

domino1891
03-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Better not send her to the shed either, she might die of foaling complications.

Charlie D
03-14-2010, 11:22 AM
If you could predict future catastrophic events with accuracy you could probably prevent them occuring.

Like ourselves, horses are flesh and bone and under stress and strain somtimes things will break. Unfortunately for horses these breaks can result in life termination.

jballscalls
03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Um, is everyone forgetting that she has a chance to tie and surpass Citations record 16 in a row ??

Just a thought.

she could also get to peppers prides record of 19!

Igeteven
03-14-2010, 11:49 AM
another optimistic question by del mar legend igeteven!!

even if she loses, so what, it's not the end of the world, she's still a great mare regardless with everything she's accomplished.

As far as breaking down, sure it could happen, and it would be awful. But if it did happen, i'm sure it would be from a horrible step or bad luck, certainly not because she was sore or injured, connections wouldn't send her out unless she was in tip top condition at this point.

Jball, A couple of things, don't mention Del Mar ever again

Now if you had a brain it would be dangerous, I have no idea who you are or what you are, but you don't know the situation here on PLASTIC TRACKS.

There are hundreds of non life injuries that occur out here on these tracks that are NEVER reported.

SHE IS NOT RUNNING ON DIRT!

So if you want to get nasty with me. I put it back in your face real fast.

Saratoga_Mike
03-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Better not send her to the shed either, she might die of foaling complications.

Probably more risks involved with foaling than racing her!

cj's dad
03-14-2010, 11:54 AM
she could also get to peppers prides record of 19!

R U Serious :faint:

Saratoga_Mike
03-14-2010, 11:56 AM
R U Serious :faint:

Yes, if she wins a few more, they might ship her to Zia Park to break the record. :rolleyes:

Dahoss9698
03-14-2010, 12:10 PM
This thread makes me nostalgic for Moyers Pond.

DJofSD
03-14-2010, 12:11 PM

What do you think?

Have you ever heard the expression "buzz kill"?

Igeteven
03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Have you ever heard the expression "buzz kill"?

Everyone of the you still think running on these so called PLASTIC TRACKS ARE A WALK IN THE PARK.

Well let me inform you all, it's not.

There are hundreds of injuries occur on these horses that are never REPORTED.

The law of averages will catch up to her.

Why do you think, most owners, trainers and players are up in arms out here to get rid of the damn things.

So get out of your dream world and get into the real world. Horses die out here or get hurt and ship to the killers.

Lester

Charlie D
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Igeteven

I may be wrong, but I think you may be letting your hatred of synth bias your opinion here a bit.

DJofSD
03-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Everyone of the you still think running on these so called PLASTIC TRACKS ARE A WALK IN THE PARK.

Well let me inform you all, it's not.

There are hundreds of injuries occur on these horses that are never REPORTED.

The law of averages will catch up to her.

Why do you think, most owners, trainers and players are up in arms out here to get rid of the damn things.

So get out of your dream world and get into the real world. Horses die out here or get hurt and ship to the killers.

Lester
You're a 'glass is half full' kind of guy, aren't you.

I know all about the plastic dirt situation -- I live in San Diego. You're preaching to the choir.

I know about horses getting injured and dieing. Have you ever owned a horse of any type?

If you are so worried about all of the things that could go wrong, it'll drive you crazy.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-14-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't think anyone thinks a horse race is a walk in the park, be it Synthetics, Dirt, or Turf. Those Synthetics came to SoCal because of serious breakdown problems on the prior dirt tracks. Nothing is ideal. But last I checked, nearly every horse survives every race everywhere, on all surfaces. How I wish it were all. But that is the risk every time a horse races. Heck, many horses never make it to the race track - some get injured just on the farm, get kicked in the eye by another horse while growing up - you'd be surprised to learn there are horses with only one good eye out there racing.

jk3521
03-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Would she be any less of a horse if she carrer record was 25-1 ? Undefeated after 15 races, so what?

Kimsus
03-14-2010, 12:38 PM
This has got to be one of the most peculiar OP's since I arrived here, I guess I should also stay home and retire because I may get into a car accident if I go to work mon...I guess horses should be tied to the barn because they may hurt themselves if they cannot do what comes naturally to them, if I didn't know better Peta has invaded the board.

fast4522
03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
In order for racing to make a comeback it has to be fun. The owners of Zenyatta are having fun, the public loves her, and as long as the connections always have the horse in mind and continue think what is good for her including the fact that she continues to want to race. This is very important because for whatever reason some loose interest. Why should we second guess it?

joanied
03-14-2010, 02:04 PM
I won't comment on what I think of this thread...the title is as morbid as the thought...completley unnecessary to bring up something like this...and no, I'm not here with my head in the sand, we all know the realites of horse racing...but to actually post about the possibility of Zenyatta breaking down is totally off the wall.
Geeze:faint: :ThmbDown: :faint:

Greyfox
03-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I won't comment on what I think of this thread...Geeze:faint: :ThmbDown: :faint:

You said you wouldn't comment and then you commented.
That's double-speak.

joanied
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
You said you wouldn't comment and then you commented.
That's double-speak.

Picky, picky ;)

Relwob Owner
03-14-2010, 03:23 PM
This thread makes me nostalgic for Moyers Pond.

Two words for Moyers and the reason for his absence....Spring Break

cpitt84
03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
i'd like to see her win another classic and some more races. She could keep winning and I really hope she races another this year.

I hate the idea of breeding anyway. :eek:

TJDave
03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
but to actually post about the possibility of Zenyatta breaking down is totally off the wall.

Especially since the mare mostly 'wins for fun'. And no, I'm not dissing her. IMO, She's really that good. I'd expect she'll be 'picture perfect' at Oaklawn.

Igeteven
03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
I won't comment on what I think of this thread...the title is as morbid as the thought...completley unnecessary to bring up something like this...and no, I'm not here with my head in the sand, we all know the realites of horse racing...but to actually post about the possibility of Zenyatta breaking down is totally off the wall.
Geeze:faint: :ThmbDown: :faint:

You do not watch the races all the time like I do, It shows that you are posted not a player,

Get this through your head, any horse can break down anytime.

She is too valuable to mess around with. I feel she has done enough to earn retirement instead of being a show piece for everyone to watch.