PDA

View Full Version : is horse racing worth the heartbreak?

Zippy Chippy
03-13-2010, 07:58 PM
As some of you might know my passion for racing is really deep but I take the losses so horribly. I was 15x more sick when Rachel lost today tgn when the patriots lost to the giants in the Superbowl to have a perfect season (lifelong pats fan). The highs are like nothing else (personal ensign,tiznow,cigar, zenyatta,etc) but the lows are the worst feelings in the world (Rachel,barbaro,smarty,cigar losing)... is that what brings us back? Thoughts? Jeez I'm tearing up again.. darn horse racing

tzipi
03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
I like both. Maybe RA a bit more. But hey cmon EVERY fan has watched one of their all time favorites lose. It hurts bad I know but they will race again! Chin up :)

GaryG
03-13-2010, 08:36 PM
If not for the losses the wins would not be worth much. There is always hope for racing fans. No matter what sadness today brought there are always tomorrow's entries. And a fresh crop of 3yo. Today's tears are just a down payment on tomorrow's joys. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

DeanT
03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Zippy,

Im with you. It sucks. I could not watch live today and when I came back, I purposefully did not read anything and headed straight to the replays. When Rachel lost I did not feel much like watching Z, but I did. Then I perked up, but still pissed.

I don't know how anyone could not be pissed and be a horse racing fan seeing her lose. I don't spend a gazillion hours on HANA, owning horses with vet bills to make me go broke, career ending pulled suspensories, finding them homes when they are done, and playing the races all day, to not have horse racing be a personal thing. I think it is what makes this sport the greatest sport in the world.

I don't blame anyone for being upset, me included. I wish there were more of us Zippy, because if there were, horse racing would be much more popular.

johnhannibalsmith
03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Think of how happy Zardana's connections are right now and maybe your perspective will change. In addition to a horse losing, a horse won.

tzipi
03-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Zippy,

Im with you. It sucks. I could not watch live today and when I came back, I purposefully did not read anything and headed straight to the replays. When Rachel lost I did not feel much like watching Z, but I did. Then I perked up, but still pissed.

I don't know how anyone could not be pissed and be a horse racing fan seeing her lose. I don't spend a gazillion hours on HANA, owning horses with vet bills to make me go broke, career ending pulled suspensories, finding them homes when they are done, and playing the races all day, to not have horse racing be a personal thing. I think it is what makes this sport the greatest sport in the world.

I don't blame anyone for being upset, me included. I wish there were more of us Zippy, because if there were, horse racing would be much more popular.

I can agree on that Dean :ThmbUp:

DeanT
03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Think of how happy Zardana's connections are right now and maybe your perspective will change. In addition to a horse losing, a horse won.
A very good point. The owners of Upset did not sleep for a week more than likely, and it is what makes racing a great sport.

We need a shot in the arm tho Johnny. And Rachel and Z, undefeated, ready to roll, was a big thing for our game, imo. Now, who knows. It is not a good thing, I think.

johnhannibalsmith
03-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Dean-

I was really hoping to see Rachel cakewalk around in a lope and win for fun, and initially I was disappointed. After I watched the replay a few times and really watched both the winner and runner-up, I was a little less disappointed. I know speed fig guys will shit all over the race and perhaps deservedly so, but I really don't think that Rachel was given her best chance to win and in the same breath, I think that Zardana ran a very nice race.

So after a few viewings, I took that half-full view and decided that actually, this could be the start of a wonderful thing, an older division with not only more than one dominant force, but perhaps a few. In the end, as nice as having a heated rivalry is, I'm satisfied thinking that perhaps we can have a year with a bunch of races that have meaning, not just the ones that feature two horses facing one another. I don't mean to sound like I'm annointing Zardana something particularly amazing, but hopeful that in light of the way racing's contemporary stars seem to be managed, having another factor in the division might keep things interesting enough that we don't have to routinely stand up for our preferred horse by trivializing the competition of the other.

Or something like that... She lost, but it wasn't BigBrownBelmont-style-losing... The fact that there are 30 different opinions on the race speaks to what it means... probably nothing concrete at the moment, so I'm not inclined to be overly heartbroken yet...

Tom
03-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Let's not delude ourselves.
The Apple Blossom was not going to be any kind of an event for anyone outside racing. It won't be covered much and most could care less about it.
Probably not too many even know who either horse is.

Rachael got beat. Get over it.
She was not ready today and this race was hardly important to her.
Zenny never left training and put in a monster performance. Enjoy it.
All you great trainers out there - you want here pushed hard today and then come up short when Zenny is coming at her? You want her pushed hard after 6 months off and a rushed workout schedule to get her ready for the AB race?

If all she was was short today, then the race was good. It was what she needed. This "how a champion should run" is hilarious. Do the Super Bowl champs go all out with thier first stringers in the fitst exibition game?

We had a great day of racing all over the country today.
Play the hand you're dealt. We had a good day.

swami13
03-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Some of the best betting opportunities seem to come off of Grade I, II winners coming off of a long layoff.
They tend to not over extend themselves if their working towards a goal, in this case the AB.
I think Rachel will be fine.

Dahoss9698
03-13-2010, 09:50 PM
As some of you might know my passion for racing is really deep but I take the losses so horribly. I was 15x more sick when Rachel lost today tgn when the patriots lost to the giants in the Superbowl to have a perfect season (lifelong pats fan). The highs are like nothing else (personal ensign,tiznow,cigar, zenyatta,etc) but the lows are the worst feelings in the world (Rachel,barbaro,smarty,cigar losing)... is that what brings us back? Thoughts? Jeez I'm tearing up again.. darn horse racing

I mean this in the nicest way possible. If Rachel running second today was that heartbreaking, you might be following the wrong sport. It can be a lot more heartbreaking than what happened today.

tzipi
03-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I mean this in the nicest way possible. If Rachel running second today was that heartbreaking, you might be following the wrong sport. It can be a lot more heartbreaking than what happened today.

Totally agree with that :ThmbUp: I mean yeah it stinks. You want to win. If this was her 2nd or 3rd race back, I'd be upset but this has happened to all the greats. Just a comeback race and she didn't run up the track to a nag.
We got plenty of racing left this year. Let's enjoy it :)

Robert Goren
03-13-2010, 11:01 PM
It is only a horse race. Get over it.

PaceAdvantage
03-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I mean this in the nicest way possible. If Rachel running second today was that heartbreaking, you might be following the wrong sport. It can be a lot more heartbreaking than what happened today.You said a mouthful!!

I mean come on!! I am not heartbroken at all that Rachel lost today, and I am one of her biggest fans. Disappointed? Sure..you bet I am...

But heartbroken, not in the least.

You want to know what broke my heart? Seeing Holy Bull pull up in the Donn with an injury against Cigar. That CRUSHED me like you wouldn't believe...

Quagmire
03-13-2010, 11:13 PM
You want to know what broke my heart? Seeing Holy Bull pull up in the Donn with an injury against Cigar. That CRUSHED me like you wouldn't believe...

I know that feeling from being at the BC when Go For Wand broke down before the wire, I've never seen any sporting event go from a full roar to silence like that.

If you prefer Rachel over Z todays results will get you better odds in the Apple Blossom anyway.

Grits
03-13-2010, 11:19 PM

Greater wisdom's not been written of late. And to add to this, if a horserace . . . any horserace . . . is this heartbreaking to you, and I mean this sincerely, and like DaHoss, not unkindly. God be with you if you ever encounter real and deeply difficult adversity.

DaHoss and PA are right, ZC, there are hard days in horseracing, and even much harder one's in daily living.

Remember, you can take breaks from racing. And sometimes, we do.

WinterTriangle
03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
I wasn't disappointed, or suprised. Yawn.

She's been off a long time. Why would anyone expect a horse to be in amazing racing condtiion from "not" racing?

I fail to see this as a big deal. :confused: They aren't machines.

A horse who has been running derby preps, in top condition, losing a big race, now that would be surprising and disappointing.

DeanT
03-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Why would anyone expect a horse to be in amazing racing condtiion from "not" racing?

Because Steve Asmussen had one job and one job only - keep an undeated horse undefeated. And she still lost. She would not have been in the race if she was short...... and it is why the whole Rachel camp will not get a minutes sleep tonight.

Quagmire
03-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Because Steve Asmussen had one job and one job only - keep an undeated horse undefeated. And she still lost. She would not have been in the race if she was short...... and it is why the whole Rachel camp will not get a minutes sleep tonight.

Rachel was not undefeated.

johnhannibalsmith
03-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Not to make things worse Dean... but Rachel lost three of her first five career starts... but she was undefeated for Assmussen and Jackson prior to this afternoon... :)

WinterTriangle
03-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Because Steve Asmussen had one job and one job only - keep an undeated horse undefeated.

I doubt assmussen is that stupid.........Because nobody could take, or WOULD take, that on, not the "job" you describe.

I don't know a trainer on the face of the earth who can guarantee such a thing.

If you do, then you need to tell every racehorse owner, they would like to know this. ;)

I'm seriously starting to worry about the people in this world, and it's not just the youngsters. Everyone seems to have these "expectations"..... expectations which, in my life so far, seem absurd.

they apply it to their relationships, their jobs, their doctors......everything.

Maybe I never noticed before because I hang with pretty down-to-earth people....who have had their share of disappointments and bad days. That would be called "everyday life" as we know it. ;)

So-----If assmussen's *job* was as you describe it, I'd say that jackson (and fans) need some kind of reality check......seriously.....who would or could take that on?

DeanT
03-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Winter,

Any trainer who has an undefeated horse takes that on. It is naive to think otherwise. Maybe you are not surprised she lost, but the footage of Asmussen looking like a deer caught in the headlights, says he thinks differently.

DeanT
03-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Not to make things worse Dean... but Rachel lost three of her first five career starts... but she was undefeated for Assmussen and Jackson prior to this afternoon... :)

You know what I mean :)

newtothegame
03-14-2010, 03:21 AM
I never saw the "older" days gone bye. So to recall the greats like Cigar...etc etc...sorry I can't. But today was a far cry from how I felt when Eight Belles hit the ground.....
Still brings a sinking feeling just thinking of it!

Tuffmug
03-14-2010, 04:03 AM
Zippy,

You moan about the losses but you have taken the name of one of the most famous perennial losing horses in recent history. Zippy lost over 100 races. Did he ever break his maiden?

Me thinks thou dost protest too much! :D

RXB
03-14-2010, 04:09 AM
Rachael got beat. Get over it.
She was not ready today and this race was hardly important to her.
Zenny never left training and put in a monster performance. Enjoy it.
All you great trainers out there - you want here pushed hard today and then come up short when Zenny is coming at her? You want her pushed hard after 6 months off and a rushed workout schedule to get her ready for the AB race?

If all she was was short today, then the race was good. It was what she needed. This "how a champion should run" is hilarious. Do the Super Bowl champs go all out with thier first stringers in the fitst exibition game?

Bingo. The RA that shows up at the Apple Blossom will be in very different shape than the short horse on display today. In case anybody has forgotten already, what she did last year is pretty much as good as it gets for a 3YO filly. 7/7, with three of those wins over males.

Then there's Zenyatta. The facts are: 15 starts, 15 wins. Nine of those wins are Grade 1. Won a Grade 1 race on the dirt, easily, in just her 4th lifetime start. Won the BC Classic over males, fair and square and without much difficulty. I'm not sure what it will take for some people to admit she's a fantastic mare.

I'm looking forward to the Apple Blossom.

SoCalCircuit
03-14-2010, 04:19 AM
its just not a big deal man get over it. i wish villanova won the big east tournament but they lost first rounds but im not tearing over it, im not even gonna lose a second of sleep over it. it sucks RA lost if your an RA fan, but at the same time its a prep race, she was off a huge layoff racing good competition, but its just a horse race if you cant take a horse race loss then id hate to see how you would take a disappointment in the real world like a job layoff or something

Valuist
03-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I know she was coming off a layoff but when you are 1-9 and your main rival is the Shirreffs 3rd stringer, its not a good sign when you get beat. Can't blame the trip, prompting a 99-1 shot then taking over when that one folded. Can't blame the track; she had a very impressive win over the track last year. Some horses don't get better between 2 and 3 and some don't improve between 3 and 4.......some regress also. It seems difficult for fillies and mares to stay at the top of their game for extended periods. I remember Lady's Secret toward the end of her career seemed to lose interest. You have to admire the way Zenyatta just goes about her business, time and time again.

ZephyrHawk
03-14-2010, 10:37 AM
The strength of the heartache is proportionate to the love. It's the same with pets. You can say, "Is it worth having them when you know they won't last long?"

Yes. Definitely yes. Every time.

So Rachel lost. Just about everybody loses. It doesn't make her achievements any less. It doesn't make her less lovely or her races less exciting. It won't make her less of a broodmare. It doesn't change our memories of her 2009 races, and really, given her training in 2010, it doesn't even really say that much about how she'll do in the future.

There's no reason to be heartbroken when she's still in training and still (for an average horse) doing well. There's no reason to be sad when we have precocious three year olds gearing up for the Triple Crown, and Zenyatta on the older mares' end to keep us entertained (you can, in fact, be a fan of both RA and Z, your beliefs on who deserved to win 2009HOY notwithstanding). Save your tears for when a beloved friend breaks down, that's the true heartache. You haven't lost anything yet.

RXB
03-14-2010, 11:30 AM
I know she was coming off a layoff but when you are 1-9 and your main rival is the Shirreffs 3rd stringer, its not a good sign when you get beat. Can't blame the trip, prompting a 99-1 shot then taking over when that one folded. Can't blame the track; she had a very impressive win over the track last year. Some horses don't get better between 2 and 3 and some don't improve between 3 and 4.......some regress also. It seems difficult for fillies and mares to stay at the top of their game for extended periods. I remember Lady's Secret toward the end of her career seemed to lose interest. You have to admire the way Zenyatta just goes about her business, time and time again.

I agree that they were probably hoping for a bit better effort, but we've seen lots of horses lose a lesser prep comeback race and then win a Gr 1 next out when they're ready.

You're right, too, about some horses not really moving forward between 3 and 4. And speed horses seem to improve less than off-pace types, as a group. Serena's Song was a terrific 3YO filly who kept running 2nd in Gr 1 races as a 4YO; just couldn't hold them off in the stretch anymore. But we'll see. I think RA will run better next time out.

joanied
03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Zippy...Not to worry. you got some pretty good replies...except those that showed no kindness to your feelings...I've been watching racing since the 60's...and if I had to list all my disappoinments, it would take a couple of pages...

but when you are feeling so down, crushed and hopeless, it's time to switch mindsets and think of the incredible joy you get from this sport...IMO, it's the only sport that allows for such emotions...I don't know anyone that ever cried after their football team lost a Super Bowl...or cried after their team won a Super Bowl...horse racing is supposed to evoke emotion...if you didn't feel like you do, then I'd say stop being a race fan...but since you feel so deeply, then I say...you are a true fan and lover of the Thoroughbred...just as it should be.

Your dark cloud will go and the Sun will shine again.
:) :) :)

WinterTriangle
03-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Winter,

Any trainer who has an undefeated horse takes that on. It is naive to think otherwise. Maybe you are not surprised she lost, but the footage of Asmussen looking like a deer caught in the headlights, says he thinks differently.

I went thru this with Raphael Nadal in tennis, with his foot injury 2006 and then his knee injury and tendonitis.

and trying to come back to win the biggest titles he hadn't won yet. :)

When you're off for a while, you come back to a "different world", others have been moving while you're not.

I still don't see the big deal, at least, not from the standpoint of a realistic person.

castaway01
03-15-2010, 08:52 AM

If you're expecting them all to win, then I'd stop watching any sort of sports right now...no offense, but everyone loses (okay, not Zenyatta). Breakdowns of your favorites are heartbreaking, but losses are part of sports. Losing a race doesn't change anything Rachel did last year.

DeanT
03-15-2010, 08:55 AM
I still don't see the big deal, at least, not from the standpoint of a realistic person.
Winter,

I think it was proven to be a big deal. If it wasn't she'd be in the Apple Blossom.

There have been quite a few posts since this one on Saturday. But it is one that was as accurate in terms of prognostication as any. This man knows how this game works.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=853495&postcount=18

DT

Gorgeous George
03-15-2010, 09:32 AM

just follow Zenyatta and you wont have any heartbreak