PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Turn Back Time

wizard_of_odds
03-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Does it ever make you wonder what life would have been like for you if you could turn back time. Ever think about them chance you may have had but didnt know it at the time.Im sure everyone has a story to tell that if he/she had made a certain move how it may have affected you life.When I was a boy of 16 coming from the cold north my 16th winter had me in a horse van heading to florida.Along the way going thu Georgia our horse van broke down..A old man (He looked that way to me) pulled up behide us on the side of I75..He offered to bring his truck and unload and take our horses to the farm until we got ours fixed..This man (I still didnt know his name) offered me to sleep in his office in the barn,I happily agreed.The next morn,I was surprised to see this farm in full operation,Horses going around a small track,People leading horses out to paddocks.The old man seemed very happy to see me awake and promptly took me under his wing,Gave me a sandwich and took me with him as he drove around this farm explaining this and that to me.We went to his little track and watched his horses train,He had 4 out on the track.He then asked me if I wanted to be a jockey as I weighed 89lbs.I said yes.He then offered me to stay on his farm and he would teach me..I declined.Had I stayed who knows as I have may become a good riderThe man was a good teacher...His name was Horatio Luro

johnhannibalsmith
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM
In general, I try not to have doubts. I like to think that things worked out pretty well, despite a number of poor choices that in the short-term may have been regrettable, but in the lon-term offered insight that could only be learned from those choices.

However...

As a senior in high school, my high school hockey team was well ahead of the opposition in the closing moments of a regional matchup. A player on the other team whom I had been teammates with on a number of youth hockey teams and something of a friend in general, decided to turn around and drill me in the head. He smiled at me, I smiled back, and the whistle blew. Now, in the past, I would have layed into him and had a little fun to close out the game.

But, as it was, I was a team captain and we were on the cusp of a couple of important divisional games. So, I got in his face a little and told him a couple of nice things, but lo and behold, a teammate of mine came barreling in and pounced on my nemesis/friend. Hell broke loose for a few minutes as all ten skaters got involved.

Somehow, both my friend/nemesis and I got majors for fighting and game misconducts, the only penalties levied. Under high school rules, any game misconduct was an automatic two game suspension. I chewed out the ref, who I also knew very well from playing against in other nighttime men's leagues that I had been in, but we didn't have a great relationship, which may have helped with his poor call.

Needless to say, even though everyone testified on my behalf (including my nemesis/friend who felt badly afterwards) that I had in fact avoided any confrontation despite every inclination to do otherwise, I was suspended for two games under the "zero tolerance" rule.

If I could turn back time, I would have pounded that son of a bitch Rob as hard as I could and had a blast in a full-out brawl and gotten my money's worth for the suspension. It still eats at me that I backed away and did the time anyway. :)

CryingForTheHorses
03-13-2010, 07:47 PM
When I was 19 with a face full of peachfuzz,I met this older lady at the beach,Loved me to death.She drove a mercedes,Had a home in Coconut Grove and wanted me to stay with her.Idiot that I was..I was always embarrassed to be seen in public with her as she was 20yrs older then me..Geeze I maight have been farting thu silk if I had of stayed..Who knows