PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hanks: Sharp as a Bowling Ball

bigmack
03-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Tom Hanks in hawkin' Pacific:

"Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods," Hanks said. "They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

Looks like it didn't take much for him to act Forest Gump dumb. Has he heard of Pearl Harbor & 9/11?

What a momo.

wisconsin
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
As much as I enjoy his acting, I cannot stand his bleeding heart attitude about current events.

johnhannibalsmith
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
He ceased to be interesting after Bosom Buddies went off the air.

Show Me the Wire
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
They were different, we like the Roman Empire, after conquering them, we rebuilt them in our image.

Hmmmm that sounds familiar too.

46zilzal
03-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Tom Hanks in hawkin' Pacific:

"Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods," Hanks said. "They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

This man has learned the lessons of history and hate mongering.

DJofSD
03-12-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/nmvffwfccm--Carlos-Mencia-Dee-Dee-Dee

Tom
03-12-2010, 03:52 PM
He ceased to be interesting after Bosom Buddies went off the air.
I wonder if he still wears the clothes? :eek:

ArlJim78
03-12-2010, 03:54 PM
In a related story;

"President Barack Obama hosted a movie night at the White House for Hollywood heavyweights Tom Hanks and director Steven Spielberg on Thursday – at which they watched a preview of the star duo’s new World War Two miniseries “The Pacific.”

bigmack
03-12-2010, 03:57 PM
This man has learned the lessons of history and hate mongering.
Why did they hate us so much, Pseudo Buddha?

http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/workshops/WWII/images/12.7.1941_002.jpg

Fwizard
03-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Tom Hanks doesn't like war but certainly has no problem making money off it.

ArlJim78
03-12-2010, 03:59 PM
So our WWII soldiers were hatemongers who only wanted to kill Japs because they were different?

This stuff really get's tiresome after awhile. I hope nobody watches this series.
Hanks and Spielberg can go stuff themselves

DJofSD
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Ya, we hated the Japanese so much, we gave them back their country, helped rebuild their economy and learned to eat sushi.

johnhannibalsmith
03-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Stop picking on the GURU who detests us diabolical people that is PRIVY to know that WE can ONLY see things in black AND white.

Robert Goren
03-12-2010, 04:17 PM
The movie is about 3 real soldiers serving in the Pacific during WWII based on books by two them. I could care less about the politics of actors. If I did care I would never watch a movie with Charlton Heston. It would be my loss not his. I know a man who was at the flag raising on Iwo Jima. I am interested to see how his stories compare with the movie.;)

Robert Goren
03-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Anyone says that WWII soldiers who served in the Pacific didn't hate the Japs never a Pacific veteran. My dad who spent WWII in Europe hated the Germans till his dying day.

GaryG
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone says that WWII soldiers who served in the Pacific didn't hate the Japs never a Pacific veteran. My dad who spent WWII in Europe hated the Germans till his dying day.Perhaps soldiers in the Pacific (my father was one and so was CJ's granddad) hated the japs because of the fact that they bombed Pearl Harbor in a sneak attack? Just a wild guess here...maybe our soldiers were just hatemongering racists....that will be in the school books I am sure.

bigmack
03-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Perhaps soldiers in the Pacific (my father was one and so was CJ's granddad) hated the japs because of the fact that they bombed Pearl Harbor in a sneak attack?
You're kidding, GG? You mean they didn't try and gun them down because they looked different?

Wow. What an eye opener!

DJofSD
03-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Anyone says that WWII soldiers who served in the Pacific didn't hate the Japs never a Pacific veteran. My dad who spent WWII in Europe hated the Germans till his dying day.
Good trick attributing the hate by an individual to a country as a whole.

ArlJim78
03-12-2010, 05:04 PM
first of all, just because your dad hated germans till his dying day, does not mean that every person who fought in Europe or Asia hated the enemy all their lives. thats a logical fallacy. I have watched shows about people who went back to those sites and even met up with people they fought against, OUT OF MUTUAL RESPECT AND ADMIRATION, and to help with the healing.

Nobody wanted to be in that situation. Hatred of the guy you are in battle with is normal. and sure some people who survived those hellish battles could never let that hate go.

But that is a complete distraction and not the point. The whole point is that hatred of another culture is not what propelled us to get into those wars as Mr Hanks has suggested. We didn't go to war because we hated yellow-skinned people.
Did your father hate the Germans before the war? I highly doubt it.

boxcar
03-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Tom Hanks doesn't like war but certainly has no problem making money off it.

Hey...I like you already and don't even know ya. :D

Boxcar

sandpit
03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
One of the stars of this show was on Fox News this morning; I didn't know who he was, but he said he knew the family of the person he was portraying. The hosts were telling him how great and important the show was since it was more about the facts than getting out any political message.

Greyfox
03-12-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't care about Tom Hanks politics.
When he played the Coach/Manager in "A League of Their Own" he won my admiration. In "The Green Mile" he was excellent, Forest Gump and so on.
Within five minutes I'm watching the role he is playing and forgetting it is him who is playing it. Very few actors do that for me.
For example, any movie I ever saw Dean Martin in he still was just Dean Martin.

toetoe
03-12-2010, 07:18 PM
"They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

So it wasn't because we were rebbies --- round eyed barbarians ? That's a relief. :lol: . We topped them, didn't we ? We were intolerant and racists.

I guess the Religion-of-Peaceniks should be flattered with the comparison to the bloodthirsty Japanese Empire of 1941. :rolleyes: .

toetoe
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't care about Tom Hanks politics.
When he played the Coach/Manager in "A League of Their Own" he won my admiration. In "The Green Mile" he was excellent, Forest Gump and so on.
Within five minutes I'm watching the role he is playing and forgetting it is him who is playing it. Very few actors do that for me.

Who can forget:

Joe versus the Volcano,

Nothing in Common,

You've Got Hate Mail,

The Road to Perdition and

Big ... ?

toetoe
03-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Mr. Hanks,

Any love for our nobly savage adversaries, the Germans ? Oops, their skin is kinda light, huh ? Never mind.

toetoe
03-12-2010, 07:39 PM
the Coach/Manager in "A League of Their Own"

Politics ?!? There's no politics in Hollywood !!!

46zilzal
03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Who can forget:

Joe versus the Volcano,

Nothing in Common,

You've Got Hate Mail,

Big ... ?
Twilight of the Vanities is one he certainly would want to forget

johnhannibalsmith
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Who can forget:

Joe versus the Volcano,

Nothing in Common,

You've Got Hate Mail,

Big ... ?

Uhhh.... The BURBS...

johnhannibalsmith
03-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Twilight of the Vanities is one he certainly would want to forget

And even moreso, Bonfire of the Vanities.

Greyfox
03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Never confuse the movie with the ability to act. ;)

Robert Goren
03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Perhaps soldiers in the Pacific (my father was one and so was CJ's granddad) hated the japs because of the fact that they bombed Pearl Harbor in a sneak attack? Just a wild guess here...maybe our soldiers were just hatemongering racists....that will be in the school books I am sure.I never said they weren't justified. Just that they hated Japs or Germans. Some one seem to imply that they didn't. I really don't how you could be from that generation and not. I know that I hate Al Qaida, not all Muslims, but most certainly Bin Laden and that bunch.

bigmack
03-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Begging the question, who does a better Clooney than Clooney?

Clooney to Director: How do you want me to play this scene?
Director: You're kiddin' right? Hell man, just be yourself.

(with the exception of Oh Bro)

cj's dad
03-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Gary - to correct you and I may have been mistaken in my post it was my dad and stepdad who fought in WWII, not a grandparent.

My dad wad a Navy Seabee in the Pacific (at Wake and Midway) and my step dad was in the armored division under Gen. Montgomery.

I can't imagine the horror these guys went through, but God bless them !!!

Johnny V
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I never said they weren't justified. Just that they hated Japs or Germans. Some one seem to imply that they didn't. I really don't how you could be from that generation and not. I know that I hate Al Qaida, not all Muslims, but most certainly Bin Laden and that bunch.
My father was a WWII Pacific vet who served in three island campaigns and was wounded in action and although he never spoke of it much, I know till his dying day he sometime had nightmares. He gave the Japanese a kind of begrudging respect as fighting men but that was about it. When I asked him if he still hated them he said he did not STILL hate them.

Rookies
03-12-2010, 10:47 PM
My father was a WWII Pacific vet who served in three island campaigns and was wounded in action and although he never spoke of it much, I know till his dying day he sometime had nightmares. He gave the Japanese a kind of begrudging respect as fighting men but that was about it. When I asked him if he still hated them he said he did not STILL hate them.

My sis in law's dad went to the Pacific. He drank every day at the (American)Legion and NEVER talked about his war experience, until very late in his 80 year old life. He was clearly scarred as one of the PT boats he was in was cut in half by the Japanese and he watched his buddies float by- in half. :(

As CJ's D mentioned, they surely went through horror to preserve the freedoms we have... like mouthing off on an I-Net Forum... and we should ALWAYS honour them- regardless of the FUBARed situations, prejudices and racism of the times.

Tom
03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Politics ?!? There's no politics in Hollywood !!!

Now that's funny!:lol:

Rookies
03-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Tom:

My neighbour and a few of his usual Con friends are heading down to Rah-cha-cha for the St. Paddy's weekend.

They are wild men... ;)

Tom
03-12-2010, 11:48 PM
We like wild!
Big parade tomorrow.
Beer will flow in the streets.
If you can get a message to them...McGhans, Main Street Victor.
The tent is up....the countdown is on.......it ain't St Paddy's Day if it ain't McGhans.

Scroll down a bit.... http://www.myspace.com/mcghanspub

Greyfox
03-13-2010, 12:26 AM
We like wild!
Big parade tomorrow.
Beer will flow in the streets.
If you can get a message to them...McGhans, Main Street Victor.
The tent is up....the countdown is on.......it ain't St Paddy's Day if it ain't McGhans.

Scroll down a bit.... http://www.myspace.com/mcghanspub

Tom tHanks.
Beer? Is there bowling?
I was just told that bowling is the oldest game ever.
It dates back to when we only had three fingers.

johnhannibalsmith
03-13-2010, 12:34 AM
...It dates back to when we only had three fingers.

And four brain cells.

(sorry bowlers)

skate
03-13-2010, 12:41 AM

AS THE QUOTE went, did your father HATE Because THEY were Different?

YOU see, the part that hanks missed, japs, germans and muslims started the killing, then we hated, then then then...

Greyfox
03-13-2010, 12:46 AM
WWII Everyone's different I guess.

As a teenager I swamped truck and later drove one for a Department Store delivering furniture and appliances etc.
Most of the drivers were war vets.
They seldom if ever spoke about their war experiences.
One was captured in Dieppe, spent several years in a German prisoner of war camp , and had
"Lest we forget....Date ....Dieppe..." tattoed on his arm.
He never mentioned it. He's dead now.
In later years, I worked with a man who was captured by the Japanese in Hong Kong. He was imprisoned in a Japanese POW camp as well.
After the war he spent a year in Australia recuperating before going home.
He never mentioned his prison camp experiences either and never spoke a bad word about the Japanese.
We used to run together (exercising) and if I brought up the subject, he wouldn't discuss it or just changed the subject after a few lopes. He's still alive and happy, in his 80's.
Many vets liked to relive the war in the Legion Halls drinking beer.
If the ones I worked with did, I was too young to go to the pub with them.
The ones that I worked with seemed to put the war behind them.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder wasn't a recognized option back then.
If they had it, they never showed it.
They were too busy working to survive and provide for their families.

Greyfox
03-13-2010, 12:51 AM
And four brain cells.

(sorry bowlers)

:lol: Yes. There isn't much strategy involved bowling. :lol:

(Speaking of tHanks as dumber than a bowling ball.)

boxcar
03-13-2010, 10:00 AM
WWII Everyone's different I guess.

They were too busy working to survive and provide for their families.

Yes, they were too busy to feel sorry for themselves. Self-pity wasn't an option either.

Boxcar

Tom
03-13-2010, 10:01 AM
:lol: Yes. There isn't much strategy involved bowling. :lol:

(Speaking of tHanks as dumber than a bowling ball.)

Any idiot can bowl, for God's sake.
-afpPb2NT2I

Greyfox
03-13-2010, 10:21 AM

I take it that you certainly belong to a league then. :lol:

fast4522
03-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Tom would not have the secret service be behind the pins knocking them down like the real idiot pictured.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-13-2010, 11:19 AM
-afpPb2NT2I

Well, technically yes, but a 37 in Standard 10 Pins for a healthy, normal adult I really wouldn't consider 'bowling'. Maybe for the blindfolded, sighted bowlers that take on the local blind bowling team in their charity/awareness match.

toetoe
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Maybe for the blindfolded, sighted bowlers

Tsk, tsk. That's a lifestyle choice you should respect. :ThmbDown: ... ;) .

ElKabong
03-14-2010, 11:51 AM

This pretty much describes my dad, wounded in 1945.

He never has fully forgiven the japanese, and I understand why. It' very important that the boomer generation sets things straight for our dad's generation. They weren't racist warmongers. They defended our coutry after Pearl Harbor was attacked and bombed, and did it with a courage and bravery that hasn't been matched since.

People like Hanks and Speilberg live in a secluded society reserved for themselves. They think it's their right to tell the world how to think, what to think, and when to think it. I have too many living members (4) of my family that served in the pacific to have to rely on Tom Hanks on what they thought, how they thought, when they thought it.

Rookies
03-14-2010, 12:11 PM
"He never has fully forgiven the japanese, and I understand why. It' very important that the boomer generation sets things straight for our dad's generation. They weren't racist warmongers. They defended our coutry after Pearl Harbor was attacked and bombed, and did it with a courage and bravery that hasn't been matched since. "

There is a distinction here ElKabong.

There were no doubt military men from the democracies that were racist; however- many were not. It was more the conditions of the times that were indeed racist in many areas. Stories like the 'Tuskegee Airmen' exposed this fact, long after both WW2 and, of course, changes in America in the 60s.

As for the warmonger tag, this is an incredible slight of hand, inversion of truth and an atrocious slap to the face of those who defended democracy. While the 'Victors get to write history' tag is true, only the deluded would now conclude that BOTH Nazi Germany and its Axis partner Imperial Japan were not brutal, militarist empires bent on world domination. The Japanese were just as sadistic and brutal as the Nazis ( see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre) without the fixation on the Jews.

No doubt, your father, his company and the vast majority of those stationed in the Pacific theatre witnessed this first hand. SEVERAL Movies have captured the brutality & sadism against Allied POWs. Were I they, I wouldn't forgive and forget either! :ThmbUp:

hcap
03-14-2010, 07:24 PM
War cannot be understood fully by those not involved in the actual combat. But the political and economic issues are part of the mix and just as important as the soldier. Many propaganda campaigns were conducted by both sides. During WWI, the Brits fabricated stories of German infantry eating British babies. We had countless images of buck toothed, eye glass wearing inhuman japs throughout the media. Posters such as these...

http://www.aistm.org/propag1.gif

http://www.vulture-bookz.de/imagebank/Propaganda/images/1942x~This_is_the_Enemy_US_%5B2%5D.jpg

Maybe that was what Hanks was thinking.
Btw, the HBO series got excellent reviews

GaryG
03-14-2010, 07:30 PM
We would not have gone to war against the bastards if not for Pearl Harbor. Lucky for us that FDR cashed in his chips in time for Truman to finalize them.

bigmack
03-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Maybe that was what Hanks was thinking.
Hey, RingADingDong, as you pointed out, it was done by both sides. So how does that support what Hanks was thinking?

Japanese had their own depiction of Americans (and the British as well) as hairy, demonic mongrels.

hcap
03-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey ringy ding ding
I did say
Many propaganda campaigns were conducted by both sides. And Hanks did say..
So he is remarking on what goes along with war, not who was the good guy or bad guy.
Watch the series

bigmack
03-14-2010, 08:10 PM
And Hanks did say..

So he is remarking on what goes along with war, not who was the good guy or bad guy.
Watch the series
I have every intention of watching the series. Odd, how you choose to only post the propaganda from our side and Hanks says nothing of their portrayal of us as hairy, demonic mongrels. According to Hanks, we viewed them as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods and they simply thought our way of life was different.

No bad or good being portrayed there. :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
03-14-2010, 08:43 PM
During WWI, the Brits fabricated stories of German infantry eating British babies. During WWII they did have to fabricate stories about how bad the Nazis were. You could make up the stuff they did.

Rookies
03-14-2010, 09:42 PM
During WWII they did have to fabricate stories about how bad the Nazis were. You could make up the stuff they did.

Of course, the most demonic stuff concerning the camps failed to get out to the world (through no fault of the Jews), but definitely of the Allies who knew about them.

Disgustingly, they declined to use the info to disrupt the death trains and save hundreds of thousands of poor souls.
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/19/world/files-suggest-british-knew-early-of-nazi-atrocities-against-jews.html?pagewanted=1

dav4463
03-14-2010, 10:47 PM
A man I knew was on a ship in WWII that was attacked by Kamakazis. He told of walking on the deck ankle deep in body parts that had to be thrown overboard.

He never referred to the Japanese as anything but "God d*** Japs!"

pandy
03-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Ya, we hated the Japanese so much, we gave them back their country, helped rebuild their economy and learned to eat sushi.

You forgot to mention that we made one of their overrated cars (Camry) the number one selling car in the U.S.

I don't like sushi but I love Tempura, and Sukiyaki.