PDA

View Full Version : saratoga not going to run?

hoovesupsideyourhe
03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/March/12/NY-breeders-president-says-Saratoga-meet-in-peril.aspx

that would be the end as we know it.

Dave Schwartz
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
That would be a shame. Imagine what it would do to the local economy there.

Tom
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Nuts.
I just bought a new What-a-Chair!
And a dolly to haul it in on.:mad:

Although, the new Monmouth meet might be an issue. Purses of $30,000 for nickel claimers and $98,000 for Maidens? Wow!

Now, who else makes red chowder?

Show Me the Wire
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Illustrates how importance purse levels are to the track's viability..

46zilzal
03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
not surprised qualitatively only temporally.

slew101
03-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Does anyone really believe there will be no Saratoga meet? C'mon.

DJofSD
03-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Does anyone really believe there will be no Saratoga meet? C'mon.
Economic realities have a funny way of forcing consequences.

If this does come to pass, it'll mean I probably will only go to DMR at the very most two days: opening day and Pacific Classic. Most of my wagers during the DMR meeting is out of state tracks, mostly SAR.

lamboguy
03-12-2010, 05:21 PM
how come the economy hasn't stopped NFL games? they are charging $125 a seat, $35 to park your car, $4.50 for a saugy hot dog, and $6.00 for a draft beer. how about the NBA? same prices there as in the football, they are getting 18,000 people night after night. how about car racing, they get 50,000 people and you can't find a ticket to walk in the place?

horseracing is giving you action and they can't get the people in the door. that goes to show you that the morons that run the sport ain't got a damn clue. now they want to tell you they can't keeep the doors open for the most pretigious horse racing meet in the world. give me a break now.

Show Me the Wire
03-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Television revenues, sponsorships, licensing agreements, etc.

46zilzal
03-12-2010, 06:02 PM
how come the economy hasn't stopped NFL games? they are charging $125 a seat, $35 to park your car, $4.50 for a saugy hot dog, and $6.00 for a draft beer. how about the NBA? same prices there as in the football, they are getting 18,000 people night after night. how about car racing, they get 50,000 people and you can't find a ticket to walk in the place?

horse racing is giving you action and they can't get the people in the door. that goes to show you that the morons that run the sport ain't got a damn clue. now they want to tell you they can't keep the doors open for the most prestigious horse racing meet in the world. give me a break now.
That much???...makes me more appreciative of all the ones I saw for free

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2010, 06:02 PM
not surprised qualitatively only temporally.

Complete non sequitur

Tampa Russ
03-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Less is more...:confused:

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2010, 07:13 PM

horseracing is giving you action and they can't get the people in the door. that goes to show you that the morons that run the sport ain't got a damn clue. now they want to tell you they can't keeep the doors open for the most pretigious horse racing meet in the world. give me a break now.

It's posturing. And good posturing at that!

thespaah
03-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Ok everybody take a deep breath, step back, and waggle the club..
This is ONE GUY'S opinion.
An opinion unsupported by any fact or data.
Does this person offer a source from which he got this five million dollar figure from?
As idiotic as the knuckleheads in New York's capitol of Albany may be, the likelyhood of people even that stuid, letting the summer go by without a Saratoga meet is incomporehensible.
BTW he stated that Monmouth's purses were "supported by slot revenue"...
I am not doubting there will or may be consequences if NYC OTB shuts down.
I have a question. If NYC OTB is so vital to NYRA because it supposedly brings in so much money, why then is the corp going broke?
Ok, I didn' just fall off a turnip truck. I am well aware of disturbing amount of political patronage and graft that is synomymous with the NY OTB corps. So, what gives? Why is NYC OTB so bloody important?

BTW I could never understand why there are what, five OTB compnaies in NY? Nassau, NYC, Catskill, Capital and Western...
WHy is this simply not a statewide entity? Why is OTB not run by the lottery commission? Better yet why is OTB not a privately run not for profit?

slew101
03-13-2010, 01:43 AM
He's also a NYRA board member.

[QUOTE=thespaah]Does this person offer a source from which he got this five million dollar figure from?

thespaah
03-13-2010, 07:25 AM
He's also a NYRA board member.

[QUOTE=thespaah]Does this person offer a source from which he got this five million dollar figure from?
Ok I missed that.
However, is he delivering a statement from NYRA or rendering his own opinion?And what is your interest here?

andtheyreoff
03-13-2010, 08:01 AM
I believe that last year, it was said both the Belmont and Kentucky Derby would cancel this year?

Nothing to take seriously.

slew101
03-13-2010, 02:55 PM
You didn't miss it from the story linked. It wasn't mentioned. I only found that out by reading a couple other stories from media in upstate NY, which pointed that out in their stories that he is also a NYRA board member.

I took the story that is was his opinion, from his having knowledge of the situation. My interest is simply as a fan, like 99 percent of the people here.

I think most of us agree, it's just fear mongering to get attention. Yes, they have financial issues, but is Saratoga really in jeopardy? I don't think so. Whatever the case, his statement worked, because the media jumped all over the story.

[QUOTE=slew101]He's also a NYRA board member.

Ok I missed that.
However, is he delivering a statement from NYRA or rendering his own opinion?And what is your interest here?

sandpit
03-13-2010, 04:46 PM
how come the economy hasn't stopped NFL games? they are charging $125 a seat, $35 to park your car, $4.50 for a saugy hot dog, and $6.00 for a draft beer.

I'd love to go to an NFL game and only pay $6 for a beer...the cheapest I've ever seen is $8. And at Dodger stadium the cheapest is $11 :eek:

thespaah
03-13-2010, 10:57 PM
You didn't miss it from the story linked. It wasn't mentioned. I only found that out by reading a couple other stories from media in upstate NY, which pointed that out in their stories that he is also a NYRA board member.

I took the story that is was his opinion, from his having knowledge of the situation. My interest is simply as a fan, like 99 percent of the people here.

I think most of us agree, it's just fear mongering to get attention. Yes, they have financial issues, but is Saratoga really in jeopardy? I don't think so. Whatever the case, his statement worked, because the media jumped all over the story.

[QUOTE=thespaah]More often than not people in certain influential postions will spout doom and gloom in order to gain political leverage.