PDA

View Full Version : Turf sprinting Musket Man?

FenceBored
03-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Musket Man is the morning line favorite for the 75k Turf Dash (5f) at Tampa on Saturday's TB Derby card. He's never tried the turf before (doesn't even have a workout on the turf in the past year).

Interesting spot for him.

joanied
03-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Indeed....sure won't hurt to give it a try...his pedigree doesn't suggest turf either...but you never know, he might just love it.

46zilzal
03-12-2010, 11:57 AM
sounds like an experiment curling style

GaryG
03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Dam has produced several turf winners, but none with any class.

joanied
03-12-2010, 08:29 PM
sounds like an experiment curling style

:lol: Zil...are they teaching Musket Man curling?? ;) :) ;)

It probably is an experiment...but a good one, IMO.

michiken
03-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I am guessing that MM is surely running at the wrong distance. Seems like a pure router to me. Could this be a setup for a later race?

GaryG
03-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I am guessing that MM is surely running at the wrong distance. Seems like a pure router to me. Could this be a setup for a later race?He beat a good field of sprinters in his 1st start back....close to the pace all the way.

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Derek Ryan's a very respectable trainer and this spot looks bizarre, so my bet is he's worked this horse over the turf recently or in the past - the horse loved it - and the work doesn't show. I still wouldn't bet him, though!

Someone on the board (slewis maybe?) knows the connections here. Perhaps he'll provide a full explanation behind the race selection.

slewis
03-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I do......but I'm not tellin'.

Actually it's a prep for the Carter april 3, but we still expect to win.

Dominquez now his perminent jock.

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2010, 10:26 PM
I do......but I'm not tellin'.

Actually it's a prep for the Carter april 3, but we still expect to win.

Dominquez now his perminent jock.

Has he worked over the turf in the past?

slewis
03-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Has he worked over the turf in the past?

Derek put him on once at Monmouth...but Mike...I'll tell ya what.....this horse is freaky...he's one of these horses who brings his game wherever, whenever.

We've always joked that he'd win running on broken glass.

Now, can he lose, of course...I've seen better horses than Musket Man get beaten by inferior comp when put on the turf. Would I bet against him? Well I bet against Curlin because I really felt he wasn't turf, but this horse, forget the pedigree (even though Dam side could be grass) he's too freaky for me to take that risk.

But I'll tell you what, there was a lot of rain down there today, and although that turf course drains very very well, Derek will scratch if it's too soft.

If he runs, regardless of the outcome, he'll run hard, and get a lot out of the race which sets him up for Aqueduct, but it's absolutely not just a workout.

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Derek put him on once at Monmouth...but Mike...I'll tell ya what.....this horse is freaky...he's one of these horses who brings his game wherever, whenever.

We've always joked that he'd win running on broken glass.

Now, can he lose, of course...I've seen better horses than Musket Man get beaten by inferior comp when put on the turf. Would I bet against him? Well I bet against Curlin because I really felt he wasn't turf, but this horse, forget the pedigree (even though Dam side could be grass) he's too freaky for me to take that risk.

But I'll tell you what, there was a lot of rain down there today, and although that turf course drains very very well, Derek will scratch if it's too soft.

If he runs, regardless of the outcome, he'll run hard, and get a lot out of the race which sets him up for Aqueduct, but it's absolutely not just a workout.

I figured he had breezed him over the turf at least once. Good luck to him tomorrow.

JustRalph
03-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Slewis

you are an upstanding guy for even coming into the thread and posting

Salute!! :ThmbUp:

joanied
03-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks, Slewis...nice to have a little inside information;) :) ...hope it stay on the turf and hope the 'Man' kicks ass...I just love that horse, and it's great to have you tell us a little about his 'personality'.

Best of luck today:jump: :ThmbUp: :jump:

joanied
03-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Just heard they took the turf races off today...will Musket Man still go?

joanied
03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
slewis....Damnitall...I just heard he scratched...I saw an interview with Eric Fien on TVG...he's such a nice man, and when he explained the name of his horse, Schoolyard Dreams, that was it...I used to hang out in the school yards too..and he also mentioned Musket Man missing a work because of the tragedy of Big truck...

I now want Schoolyard Dreams to take a piece of the Tampa Bay Derby.:ThmbUp:

joanied
03-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Ohmy...what a finish in the tampa bay...when Schoolyard Dreams made that move on the backstretch...I jumped off my chair..wow, what a move...I felt terrible for My. Fien... but he has a very, very nice colt in that one...

such a great finish...Odesyuss...green as can be, or they have to figure him out...absolutley amazing come back from that colt...he seems like a true warrior and it'd be super if he could get the earnings for the Derby...Super Saver, well, did good, but I think maybe burned himself out sprinting from the gate like he did.

great race:ThmbUp: