PDA

View Full Version : The Preps...

joanied
03-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I know we have a couple of threads going on about both prep races for Zenyatta and Rachel...but they are mostly about the wagering aspect of each race...and I think both races should be veiwed as what they are...preps for the mares and something exciting to see over the weekend...and the fact that we are all lucky that both mares are back.

I have no doubt that Zenyatta will do her thing, and win her race...Rachel, although not facing much may have a harder time of it because she isn't 100% and I think Asmussen will tell Calvin to take it eay with her.

Anyway...this is a great weekend of racing...I'd mention the 3 yr old colt races, but that should be over at the Triple Crown section...

things are coming together now...and I am going to enjoy every minute.

Linny
03-11-2010, 02:01 PM
While both horses are "prepping" for something bigger I do hope that they both win and win well. Both have "streaks" going and it will make the Apple Blossom far more exciting. Imagine the sound of air leaving the balloon if neither were to run well on Saturday.

tzipi
03-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Anyway...this is a great weekend of racing...I'd mention the 3 yr old colt races, but that should be over at the Triple Crown section...

things are coming together now...and I am going to enjoy every minute.

I'm with ya 100%. Great time of the year. :ThmbUp:

Pell Mell
03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Both mares? Isn't Rachel still a filly?

And speaking of that, in all the hundreds of posts about those two and who is better there's one thing I don't recall much, if any, talk of, and that's the huge difference between a 3 yf old filly and a 5 yr old mare.

Over the years when it was common to run mares against horses, mares were able to hold their own, especially on the turf.
I never got what was so unusual about Z beating males on a surface that seems to play like a turf course.

On the other hand, for a filly to beat males on dirt is another story in that it takes an exceptional filly to do that.

For a 3yr old filly to take on older males and beat them is kind of freakish I think.

I just think there is a hell of a lot of difference maturity wise. A big difference in the whole structure of the body of a fully grown animal vs an immature one
and I don't see many here giving that aspect of an animal due credit.
JMO

tzipi
03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Both mares? Isn't Rachel still a filly?

And speaking of that, in all the hundreds of posts about those two and who is better there's one thing I don't recall much, if any, talk of, and that's the huge difference between a 3 yf old filly and a 5 yr old mare.

No. A filly is 3yo or less. 4yo and older are Mares. Their ages were discussed many time I think.

Pell Mell
03-11-2010, 05:47 PM
No. A filly is 3yo or less. 4yo and older are Mares. Their ages were discussed many time I think.

I must be blind because I see 4yr old females listed as fillies in the PPs.

Skanoochies
03-11-2010, 05:56 PM
4 year olds are fillies. Five and up are mares.

Show Me the Wire
03-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I must be blind because I see 4yr old females listed as fillies in the PPs.

Your eyesight is fine.

WinterTriangle
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM
On the other hand, for a filly to beat males on dirt is another story in that it takes an exceptional filly to do that.

For a 3yr old filly to take on older males and beat them is kind of freakish I think.

Only in America. Where we seldom race many girls against boys. So it seems less often, but we don't race them against each other often. So you're being misled by stats, including the "on dirt" part, mostly because of the lack of dirt races were males and females race against each other.

also, let's get back on track about boys and girls. These are horses, not humans. The story last year was:

it should make no difference if females run against males, and I agree. It's all about training, condition, and development and the particular talents of the indiv. horse. etc.

Angel Penna, Sr. for instance, knew this. Of course, those were on grass.

joanied
03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Yes,the ages have been discussed here...and in my own defense...it's just easier to call them both mares...last year I just got so tired of doing this...mare/filly:)
Indeed RA is still a filly...unless she was pregnant, then we'd have to call her a broodmare, not a broodfilly:eek: ;)

And right now, Zenyatta is in the very prime of her life...scary isn't it:ThmbUp:

born2ride
03-11-2010, 09:14 PM
In case anyone doesn't have HRTV to watch both races, and it's not being carried on any other cable channels, NTRA Live! (I think that's what they are calling it) will show both races through their website.

BluegrassProf
03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
In case anyone doesn't have HRTV to watch both races, and it's not being carried on any other cable channels, NTRA Live! (I think that's what they are calling it) will show both races through their website.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/55842/live-video-of-rachel-zenyatta-on-ntracom

Robert Fischer
03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
can't believe the consensus is that Rachel has the greatest chance of losing Saturday.

The Santa Margarita isn't a cream puff race by any means.

Dahoss9698
03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
The Santa Margarita isn't a cream puff race by any means.

I don't think either is going to lose. But who is going to make Zenyatta run at all?

Robert Fischer
03-11-2010, 11:40 PM
I don't think either is going to lose. But who is going to make Zenyatta run at all?

Berrio, Sutherland, and Martin Garcia could make her run.

Dahoss9698
03-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Berrio, Sutherland, and Martin Garcia could make her run.

Are we looking at the same PP's? I suppose Pretty Unusual can be second, but I'm not seeing the other two.

Robert Fischer
03-12-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm just saying they could slow things down a lot, and take away her margin for error. She still probably wins, but she would have to run her usual huge finish and circle the field. If one of them gets an easy trip on a very slow pace, Zenyatta will have to at least work hard, even tons the best. I don't care how great you are, if you are a deep closer and unwilling to make headway until you start your run, its HARD to beat a very slow pace if someone up front gets a good run.

The seemingly strong track bias against forwardly placed runners has also seemingly become less prominant recently, whether it is because of moisture levels or not.

Pretty Unusual suits the scenario. The Tuscan Evening race is worth going over the chart before drawing any conclusions about her last effort SA-2-15-r9. Aside from her nobody looks like much at all, but anyone forwardly placed could be a factor.

It's probably moot and these jockeys probably won't slow things down enough to test her.

OTM Al
03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
They are being streamed live for free

http://www.ntra.com/content/display/news/NDUwMDQ=?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Live+link&utm_content=acc13%40nyu.edu&utm_campaign=SEASONAL+DEBUTS+OF+RACHEL+ALEXANDRA%2 C+ZENYATTA+TO+BE+SHOWN+LIVE+ON+NTRA.COM

joanied
03-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Are we looking at the same PP's? I suppose Pretty Unusual can be second, but I'm not seeing the other two.

She sets the pace, then fades....IMO:)

Robert Fischer
03-14-2010, 12:54 AM
what a horrible ride by Martin Garcia in the Santa Margarita, and he gets rewarded with 2nd :bang:.

Did he forget that he was facing one of the top horses in the world over that surface and distance, and that she is a stone cold closer??

I didn't expect too much strategy, but these fractions 23.88, 47.69, 1:11.16 were moronic.

Its like a manager asking a guy who he got a hit off in the 9th and he didn't notice they brought in the reliever

this guy rides day to day like hes blind. The stats could surprise me, but he should thank his god every day for baffert's 2nd string of forwardly placed runners.

Great run from Zenyatta overcoming the challenges within the race.