PDA

View Full Version : for stoned crab lovers

lamboguy
03-11-2010, 08:32 AM
not that this has anything to do with anything at all. yesterday was my birthday and my wife knows that i love stoned crabs, whe went to LEGAL SEAFOODS who usuaully carry stoned crabs but were out of them yesterday but they had jonah crabs which happened to cost $6.99 a pound vs stoned crabs that usually cost about $30. these jonah crabs with the mustard sauce were just as good and you really would have never known the diference.

Tom
03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Great way to celebrate you B-Day....stoned, and a crab dinner! :D
Happy Birthday Lambo!

Dave Schwartz
03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Lambo,

First, Happy birthday!

Now, on to one of my favorite subjects: crabs!

Having been brought up in S. Florida, I can tell you how much I love stone crab. Living out west now, makes it almost impossible to get them.

Jonahs are another story. Here, I have seen them in the stores and occasionally in the buffets. IMHO, they taste much different than stonies, though I certainly admit that they look almost identical.

I also recall, after one particular "crab drought" at the Schwartz residence, that all I could get was Jonahs. They were especially excellent that day.

Out west we get a lot of snow crab (oppillios for those who watch Deadliest Catch), king crab and dungeoness. Of all the crabs I have ever eaten, the king crab is the best but only if you can get good size. Though much different, the dungeoness is just excellent - and far less expensive. (Periodically we see pretty good sized dungeoness in the store here for around $5 per pound! The small ones are just not a good buy - too much shell.)

I try to eat crab at least 4 or 5 times per month.

In the buffets of Reno you can get all-you-can-eat crabs (who cares about the other stuff on the menu?) for $16-$24. There are even a few buffets with prices under $10 that have small snow crabs!

So, next birthday, hop on a plane headed to Reno, locate a $78 room and find yourself one of several crab feasts. (If it is LOBSTER you crave, try the $22 all-you-can-eat Maine lobster buffet at Boomtown. You buy and I'll drive.)

Dave

Leonard
03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Lambo,

First, Happy birthday!

Now, on to one of my favorite subjects: crabs!

Having been brought up in S. Florida, I can tell you how much I love stone crab. Living out west now, makes it almost impossible to get them.

Jonahs are another story. Here, I have seen them in the stores and occasionally in the buffets. IMHO, they taste much different than stonies, though I certainly admit that they look almost identical.

I also recall, after one particular "crab drought" at the Schwartz residence, that all I could get was Jonahs. They were especially excellent that day.

Out west we get a lot of snow crab (oppillios for those who watch Deadliest Catch), king crab and dungeoness. Of all the crabs I have ever eaten, the king crab is the best but only if you can get good size. Though much different, the dungeoness is just excellent - and far less expensive. (Periodically we see pretty good sized dungeoness in the store here for around $5 per pound! The small ones are just not a good buy - too much shell.)

I try to eat crab at least 4 or 5 times per month.

In the buffets of Reno you can get all-you-can-eat crabs (who cares about the other stuff on the menu?) for $16-$24. There are even a few buffets with prices under $10 that have small snow crabs!

So, next birthday, hop on a plane headed to Reno, locate a $78 room and find yourself one of several crab feasts. (If it is LOBSTER you crave, try the $22 all-you-can-eat Maine lobster buffet at Boomtown. You buy and I'll drive.)

Dave

If you want an all together different kind of crab dining experience then I have chime in with the one you forgot -- the Maryland Blue Crab.

The ultimate blue crab dining experience can be had at Captain Billy's in Pope's Creek, Maryland. Pitchers of beer, picnic tables covered in butcher paper, piles of hot crabs dumped before you and possibly the messiest dining in the world.

And it can't be beat.

Dave Schwartz
03-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Boy, you are right! I did forget them!

When I was in Florida in2009 we went to a place called the Rustic Inn on Ravenswood road in Ft. Lauderdale. I remembered them from my youth - about 3,000 years ago. The blues were just as good as I remembered.

Dave

cj's dad
03-12-2010, 09:12 AM
If you want an all together different kind of crab dining experience then I have chime in with the one you forgot -- the Maryland Blue Crab.

The ultimate blue crab dining experience can be had at Captain Billy's in Pope's Creek, Maryland. Pitchers of beer, picnic tables covered in butcher paper, piles of hot crabs dumped before you and possibly the messiest dining in the world.

And it can't be beat.

Don't forget to wear your bib overalls, flannel shirt, and shit kickers; you are 'bout to enter "neck" territory.

Tom
03-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Nothing like crab at Jimmy's in Baltimore.
I miss my trips there! I always scheduled a later flight home so I
could have lunch there. mmmm mmmm mmmm.

OTM Al
03-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Crabs are quite tasty, but I must admit I simply don't have the patience for them. Definitely not something to order when you don't have a long time and/or are very hungry. Though I must say sitting back for a couple hours ove a few beers it can work.

cj's dad
03-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Crabs are quite tasty, but I must admit I simply don't have the patience for them. Definitely not something to order when you don't have a long time and/or are very hungry. Though I must say sitting back for a couple hours ove a few beers it can work.

I have to say that watching someone from Indiana currently living in New York trying to dissect a Md. blue crab would be torurous to say the least.

I can pick clean a jumbo male crab in < 5 minutes.

It's all in the wrists, and a sharp knife; no hammer, a complete waste of time and energy. When I see someone using a hammer on a steamed crab I want to beat them over the head with it.

Note to Tom;

you're right Tom, Jimmys is clearly one of the best in town, Obrycki's is one of the most overrated as are any places in or around the Inner Harbor.

OTM Al
03-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I have to say that watching someone from Indiana currently living in New York trying to dissect a Md. blue crab would be torurous to say the least.

I can pick clean a jumbo male crab in < 5 minutes.

It's all in the wrists, and a sharp knife; no hammer, a complete waste of time and energy. When I see someone using a hammer on a steamed crab I want to beat them over the head with it.

Yeah, it's not a pretty sight. That's where the beer comes in way handy.

Leonard
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Don't forget to wear your bib overalls, flannel shirt, and shit kickers; you are 'bout to enter "neck" territory.

That part of Maryland is definitely redneckville -- but I have never eaten crabs anywhere else that tasted better than there (a dive near Ocean City -- can't remember the name -- came close. But it may have just been better scenery, with the wild stuffed bikinis everywhere). The crabcakes were always better in places around Baltimore.

Dave Schwartz
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
CJ's Dad & Al,

Out west, where we don't get blues, almost everything is frozen. The crab is typically sliced through the shell. Very easy to eat.

What they do is put an incision in the shell. Someone who knows what they are doing (which would be me ;) ) doesn't even need crab crackers. Just your hands will do fine.

Of course, I much prefer fresh when I can get it but it is still wonderful.

Dave

cj's dad
03-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Dave, you eating crab in the western part of the USA is like me eating prime rib in Maine.

Next time you hit the eastern seaboard- let me know.

Maryland crab is a true delicacy only if done properly !!!!

chickenhead
03-12-2010, 10:45 PM
you guys must be stoned

dungeness is where its at boys and girls, -- no need for some dry, mealy, frozen crab from Alaska, I never understand why anyone eats that when they could have dungeness. I've had some of those Chesapeake Bay crabs, I was very excited, filled with anticipation. I give them a solid "meh". (it was at some joint in Annapolis cjd, some George Washington era Tavern down by the water. The crab sucked, but the oysters rockefeller blew my mind they were so good)

Big fat freshly boiled dungeness is as sweet as crab gets.

bigmack
03-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Thank you for that Mr. Chickenhead

This discussion is over. Dungies by 100.

http://www.northwest-seafood.com/images/dungeness_crab_cooked.gif

Tom
03-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Alaskan King Crab Legs.
A tub of hot melted butter.
Chilled bottle of Labatts.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

bigmack
03-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Chilled bottle of Labatts.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
It's not only a beer, it's an adventure! (that's not his wife is it?)

ZjCwSdJuHRc

JustRalph
03-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Great topic....................

skate
03-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Elkton Md, blue crab w/old bay, every other Sunday, cold beer and the NFL...the end.:)

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2010, 12:39 AM
CJ D,

I will take you up on that.

Dave

PS: Did I ever tell you I was stationed at Holabird for a very short time?

cj's dad
03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
CJ D,

I will take you up on that.

Dave

PS: Did I ever tell you I was stationed at Holabird for a very short time?

No you didn't. Ft. Holabird is where I went for my pre-induction physical in 1966.

Did you ever go to Squires restaurant ? right up the road from the Fort ?

Squires is still a thriving business - voted Baltimore's best pizza several times.

BTW- Holabird is now an industrial park/trucking depot.

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2010, 11:34 AM
As I recall, they actually had a pretty good menu beyond pizza.

I wasn't at Ft. Holabird long. Shortly after the intelligence school moved to Ft. Huachuca and so did I.

Pace Cap'n
03-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Shortly after the intelligence school moved to Ft. Huachuca and so did I.

Smart move.

Tom
03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Holibard - what happened to the GM Assembly plant there after it closed up?
Anyone else move in or is it just idle now?

I used to get my UTZ chips on the corner there at Browning Highway.:p

cj's dad
03-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Holibard - what happened to the GM Assembly plant there after it closed up?
Anyone else move in or is it just idle now?

I used to get my UTZ chips on the corner there at Browning Highway.:p

I will check it out Tom. I think the site (known as Fisher Body) is used to store imported cars unloaded at the Dundalk Marine Terminal.

The Utz chip place was located at Broening Highway and Holabird Ave.

Like all good things in our lifetime ---- GONE!!!!

JustRalph
03-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Was on a road trip all day yesterday..........the wife makes me stop for special salt and vinegar chips she likes............at of all places the "Dollar Store"

UTZ Salt and Vinegar........first time I have tried them.......damn good.

You can get them here

http://www.utzsnacks.com/store/c-10-chips.aspx

We also picked up some "red hot" chips from UTZ.....a little hot for my taste

http://www.utzsnacks.com/store/images/PRODUCT/large/32.jpg

Tom
03-14-2010, 11:22 AM
A bag of Utz Crab chips, a Chocolate Junior, a bottle of Dr Pepper.....
It don't get no better than dat.

Oh, yes it does.
I used also pick up a copy of the Racing Times at the same store and sit in the rental car with my loot.