PDA

View Full Version : John Piesen Flier

llegend39
03-11-2010, 07:18 AM
I got a mailing from John Piesen for his 500 point winning system Supposedly taught to him by some old timer and he found it amongst his handicapping items and decided to share with the public? Great story huh? Does any remember or ever heard of it?

proximity
03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I got a mailing from John Piesen for his 500 point winning system Supposedly taught to him by some old timer and he found it amongst his handicapping items and decided to share with the public? Great story huh? Does any remember or ever heard of it?

did jp find this system before or after he lost his pants at the track??:D

Donnie
03-11-2010, 09:30 AM
If its an old system he "found" I believe I have it and will pull it out of my stack later tonight. If memory serves me, every horse starts with 500 points and you deduct from that beginning total. I believe I glanced at it and went "yeah, right."

Donnie
03-12-2010, 05:07 AM
llegend39--
you should contact John and ask if that system he is selling is the Jimmy Wolbach's Famous 500-Point Handicap. The system has a copyright of 1978. How much is he asking for it? No price on mine. Just says Special Limited Edition.

llegend39
03-12-2010, 09:02 AM
llegend39--
you should contact John and ask if that system he is selling is the Jimmy Wolbach's Famous 500-Point Handicap. The system has a copyright of 1978. How much is he asking for it? No price on mine. Just says Special Limited Edition.

$24.95 with shipping

llegend39
03-12-2010, 11:17 AM
llegend39--

I sent him an email asking exactly that, waiting for an answer(yea right)

clore1030
03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
llegend39--

I actually had that system. It was very simple.

SYSTEM REMOVED

I did well with it at first, mine arrived just in time for the 1980 Saratoga meet and I got 54% winners at about an $8.00 average mutuel. It fell apart at the Belmont meet that followed.

Since class was based strictly on allowance being higher than claiming, stakes higher than allowance, it probably gave an edge to shippers, thus it worked at the Spa which has an inordinate amount of invaders.

But was an allowance race at Finger Lakes really better than a 35K claimer at Belmont? I recall that I adhered to that rule though and picked up a Finger Lakes shipper that gave me a $58.00 winner which inflated the average mutuel.

I paid five dollars for it I believe.

Donnie
03-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Clore-
yes...you are very close in those rules! A few are little tighter, but overall very close. I agree with the class assessment...you'd better know the class structures from different tracks involved or you fall into the exact trap you laid out!

clore1030
03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Now that I think about it, the WEIGHT elimination was the third step, then the FINISH POSITION rule.

These days I imagine the system would fail just on the first step. Horses just don't run as often whereas back then the 30 day rest was considered a sign of weakness.

The same goes for weights, we'll never see the kinds of added pounds that Forego and John Henry had to carry.

I've probably still have my copy around here somewhere, buried with all of the other systems and ads for them that I've gotten through the years.

There must be a rule that any purchased system will work the first time you try it because that was my experience with so many of them. I had the book "Gordon Jones to Win" and my first try with it gave me a 20 dollar horse. It was similar with the Sullivan/Adams book. I studied it before my first trip ever to the track and won six of nine races. Neither worked over the long haul though.

But there was something to be learned from even the worst of them.