PDA

View Full Version : Rosario hires Ebanks

Roy C
03-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Joel Rosario has hired Ronnie Ebanks as his new agent which seems like a bs move to me.

The Paddock Room
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Joel Rosario has hired Ronnie Ebanks as his new agent which seems like a bs move to me.

Retribution for getting Martin Garcia in with Baffy?

Spalding No!
03-10-2010, 11:25 PM

You're kidding right?

Garcia was already riding for Baffert before hiring Vic Stauffer. If anything, it was a timely maneuver by the agent.

But, as you suggest, did it hurt in the long run?

cwwash
03-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Looks like Vic better not give up his day job.

The Paddock Room
03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Looks like Vic better not give up his day job.

Some of these jockeys change agents like they change their underwear.

There has to be some conflict of interest representing two top jocks.

Stuffer wanted his cake and to eat it too..or however that saying goes.

It would be nice if the daily program could list jockeys and their agents..this information would be as vital as Lasix and Blinkers information in properly handicapping a horse race.

cwwash
03-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I have actually had some very successful scores when I had a condition book in front of me with that information. I can remember vividly when I got a stiff ride from Nakatani I believe just to improve the exacta payoff. It would really be nice for a track like Golden Gate. I can recall a horse I owned getting a stiff ride from Baze of all people and the other guy the agent represented winning the race. Needless to say Russell has not ridden for me again.

Stillriledup
03-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Vic didn't do good enough for Joel (apparently), so i guess a change was in order.

toussaud
03-11-2010, 12:53 AM
what more does he want stauffer to do make him popcorn between races?

He was on the oaks winner Saturday, the post time fav in the kilroe AND the santa anita handicap

johnhannibalsmith
03-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Riders and agents part ways for a number of reasons. It is perfectly plausible that Rosario was perfectly satisfied with the work that Stauffer was doing for him in California on a daily basis and that their California business wasn't a driving motivator for the split.

It is also plausible that like a lot of riders, Rosario is quite smitten with himself and nothing will ever be good enough until he reaches age 50 and is just happy that the bulk of his mounts aren't by virtue of shake.

sandpit
03-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Vic didn't do good enough for Joel (apparently), so i guess a change was in order.

A few years back Garrett Gomez switched agents right after he had won the BC Juvenile and was on the KY Derby favorite in Steviewonderboy because, as he put it, he wanted to take his career to the next level...I don't know how much higher you can go than that.

lamboguy
03-11-2010, 08:54 AM
A few years back Garrett Gomez switched agents right after he had won the BC Juvenile and was on the KY Derby favorite in Steviewonderboy because, as he put it, he wanted to take his career to the next level...I don't know how much higher you can go than that.
ron anderson is probably the best agent that ever lived. the man spends 24 hours a day in the horse business and knows exactly what he is doing. he is the HERTZ of jock agents.

for california stauffer did a great job for that kid.

Bobby Seller
03-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I have actually had some very successful scores when I had a condition book in front of me with that information. I can remember vividly when I got a stiff ride from Nakatani I believe just to improve the exacta payoff. It would really be nice for a track like Golden Gate. I can recall a horse I owned getting a stiff ride from Baze of all people and the other guy the agent represented winning the race. Needless to say Russell has not ridden for me again.

c'mon bro

i'm sure jockeys would be fighting tooth and nail to ride for a guy who posts multiple accounts of stiff-jobs WITH NAMES :D on the internet.
welcome to pa!

Ejmenz
03-11-2010, 10:23 AM
It's not better to never mention it.

Racing would be much better off if more people turned on the flashlight to scare the roaches away.

I'm in no way saying Russell Baze is anything other then a pro.

But if someone got a raw deal on one of his rides, I want to know that, if I hear it again from another source, I might start taking notice.

If no one ever says a bad word, we all suffer.

RockHardTen1985
03-11-2010, 10:24 AM
:ThmbUp:

Kimsus
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I thought Rosario was getting good mounts with Stauffer, however if one reads message boards, horse related publications and blogs, it seemed alot of controversy followed Stauffer. I'm not sure if this contributed to Rosario's decision to part ways with him but it doesn't take a clairvoyant to know it probably didn't help him.

Fingal
03-11-2010, 11:28 AM

A verifiable source other than just rumor ?

toussaud
03-11-2010, 01:12 PM
hrtv just stated it on air.

Cardus
03-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I thought Rosario was getting good mounts with Stauffer, however if one reads message boards, horse related publications and blogs, it seemed alot of controversy followed Stauffer. I'm not sure if this contributed to Rosario's decision to part ways with him but it doesn't take a clairvoyant to know it probably didn't help him.

Fair post.

Kimsus
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Fair post.

I know Vic has posted here and to be fair he can respond if he wants to set the record straight, it's just what I have noticed.

BTW This has nothing to do with his racecalling, which I like.

Show Me the Wire
03-11-2010, 02:33 PM
My intution. Mr. Stauffer wanted to concentrate on local racing for the time being and the young jock, may be a tad more anxious to explore the national experience now.

In any event best wishes to both.

NTamm1215
03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
My intution. Mr. Stauffer wanted to concentrate on local racing for the time being and the young jock, may be a tad more anxious to explore the national experience now.

In any event best wishes to both.

If he was looking to leave why would he hire an agent with roots in SoCal?

NT

Show Me the Wire
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I didn't say leave. I think it would be a fair statement to say the new agent has more established contacts outside of So.Cal.

I think the young jock wants to ride stake quality horses outside of So.Cal. too, like Gomez, Smith, etc. do.

toussaud
03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
so eubanks just dumps his two clients lol

stay classy my friend.

Show Me the Wire
03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Didn't Talamo already split with the love man after he picked up Tyler's book?

Tyler is the one who took the worst of it in this go around.

Big news leaked about M. Baze moving his tack to AP. I guess it is better to ride for small purses, than not ride at all. Anyone know who will be his agent. Any chance it is Cooper?

illinoisbred
03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
D. Cooper is supposedly bringing Jesus Castanon to AP this summer.

toussaud
03-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Didn't Talamo already split with the love man after he picked up Tyler's book?

Tyler is the one who took the worst of it in this go around.

Big news leaked about M. Baze moving his tack to AP. I guess it is better to ride for small purses, than not ride at all. Anyone know who will be his agent. Any chance it is Cooper?
lol, why did you call him the love man

Show Me the Wire
03-11-2010, 04:26 PM
It is his nick name.

Show Me the Wire
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
D. Cooper is supposedly bringing Jesus Castanon to AP this summer.

Some serious competition for rides, especially if AP has its ususal fare of short fields.

Show Me the Wire
03-11-2010, 05:51 PM
My goodness, Curt Hoover is really taking the news of Joel leaving Stauffer badly. It is like his faith in humanity has been shaken to the very foundations.

I feel sorry for him.

tundral
03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Rosario thinks the grass is greener on the other side. bad business

toussaud
03-11-2010, 06:09 PM
My goodness, Curt Hoover is really taking the news of Joel leaving Stauffer badly. It is like his faith in humanity has been shaken to the very foundations.

I feel sorry for him.
he does that from time to time. dont' get him started on p val's demons

Relwob Owner
03-11-2010, 06:37 PM

I dont know the exact before/after stats but it really seemed like Rosario did really well after joining Vic...I know that Garcia has had huge success in his time with him....I dont know the Cal circuit as some others here but Vic has always seemed like a class act in everything he does.

Cardus
03-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Did Vic land Garcia with Baffert?

toussaud
03-11-2010, 07:23 PM
no

Cardus
03-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I dont know the exact before/after stats but it really seemed like Rosario did really well after joining Vic...I know that Garcia has had huge success in his time with him....I dont know the Cal circuit as some others here but Vic has always seemed like a class act in everything he does.

Oh really?

Saratoga_Mike
03-11-2010, 07:32 PM
ron anderson is probably the best agent that ever lived. the man spends 24 hours a day in the horse business and knows exactly what he is doing. he is the HERTZ of jock agents.

for california stauffer did a great job for that kid.

Steve Rushing.

Chase
03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Oh really?
Cardus you seem like a real class act.

Relwob Owner
03-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Oh really?

Very weak response IMO....you obviously have an issue with him so rather than a sarcastic response like that, an explanation of your issue would be much more informative.

My opinion of Vic has been formed mainly from watching him on TVG and from some of his comments on here....I also have always liked his announcing work....I thought it was particulary cool and classy that he used a suggestion from someone on here(Toussaud?) to call one of Zenyatta's races.....like I said in my post, I dont know SoCal that well but that is just my impression of him....

Now, I have stated the reason for my opinion, what is yours????

statepierback
03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm guessing the success of Martin Garcia was a major factor in the situation. It will be very interesting to see how both riders do in the upcoming months. The other thought is that the situation with the John Glenny horse at Del Mar may have had some effect. Joel may feel he can get in better with some of the east coast trainers with Ebanks. They"re all seeking that Derby mount that could change their career. From on emotional standpoint I think this is terrible. Vick got him to the top of southern California racing and this is his reward ?

Dahoss9698
03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Very weak response IMO....you obviously have an issue with him so rather than a sarcastic response like that, an explanation of your issue would be much more informative.

My opinion of Vic has been formed mainly from watching him on TVG and from some of his comments on here....I also have always liked his announcing work....I thought it was particulary cool and classy that he used a suggestion from someone on here(Toussaud?) to call one of Zenyatta's races.....like I said in my post, I dont know SoCal that well but that is just my impression of him....

Now, I have stated the reason for my opinion, what is yours????

Not to speak for Cardus, but I actually get the complete opposite vibe from Vic. I didn't really think it was cool or classy when he got himself and now his former jock in that mess with John Glenney at Del Mar last summer. Maybe stuff like that is what Rosario got fed up with.

Relwob Owner
03-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Not to speak for Cardus, but I actually get the complete opposite vibe from Vic. I didn't really think it was cool or classy when he got himself and now his former jock in that mess with John Glenney at Del Mar last summer. Maybe stuff like that is what Rosario got fed up with.

Could be, you never know.....just like owner/trainer relationships, the jock/agent one is one where many speculate but few actually know what goes down....if it was "stuff like that", then Rosario put up with it for a while since last summer while he was winning......

As far as the Glenney mess went, did anything officially come of it? If memory serves me correctly, Stouffer admitted he made what he terms as an ill advised comment and that was the extent of it....as far as not getting a good vibe, are there any other instances like that one that you havent cared for?

the little guy
03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Steve Rushing.

He's just a little quieter than Ron.

They're both terrific agents. And both would probably say it doesn't hurt to have the goods.

Indulto
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm guessing the success of Martin Garcia was a major factor in the situation. It will be very interesting to see how both riders do in the upcoming months. The other thought is that the situation with the John Glenny horse at Del Mar may have had some effect. Joel may feel he can get in better with some of the east coast trainers with Ebanks. They"re all seeking that Derby mount that could change their career. From on emotional standpoint I think this is terrible. Vick got him to the top of southern California racing and this is his reward ?spb,
I think you're right. How would you feel if you were a jockey and your agent could get his other jocky on a Baffert trainee, but not you? In the DRF, Hegarty wrote that Stauffer said he was "very surprised." I think this was a wake-up call for him.

Cardus
03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Cardus you seem like a real class act.

I have a different opinion -- no cursing, hysterics, or personal belittlement -- and don't fall in line with the others on some matters.

That's classless?

Chase
03-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I have a different opinion -- no cursing, hysterics, or personal belittlement -- and don't fall in line with the others on some matters.

That's classless?
Asking your fake little questions when quoting others posts, while running back and forth from one message board to another repeating the same act. It's lame.

sandpit
03-11-2010, 10:27 PM

I can't comment on the flap between Vic, Joel and Glenney, because I don't know anything about it. However, I've known Glenney for a number of years and he can be on the goofy side, to put it nicely. I hope the issue isn't what separated them. If so, maybe it's for the better for everyone :eek:

Cardus
03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Paulick Report, Glenney incident, Derbytrail.com.

That'll suffice.

Dahoss9698
03-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I can't comment on the flap between Vic, Joel and Glenney, because I don't know anything about it. However, I've known Glenney for a number of years and he can be on the goofy side, to put it nicely. I hope the issue isn't what separated them. If so, maybe it's for the better for everyone :eek:

I'm not saying that is the reason. Only Rosario knows why he decided what he did. I think it was probably a combonation of things and some of it was based on Vic's behavior.

Mineshaft
03-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Some of these jockeys change agents like they change their underwear.

There has to be some conflict of interest representing two top jocks.

Stuffer wanted his cake and to eat it too..or however that saying goes.

It would be nice if the daily program could list jockeys and their agents..this information would be as vital as Lasix and Blinkers information in properly handicapping a horse race.

please tell me how listing the jock and the agent is vital info. Im all ears

the little guy
03-11-2010, 11:47 PM
please tell me how listing the jock and the agent is vital info. Im all ears

It's not.

Mineshaft
03-11-2010, 11:49 PM
It's not.

thank you..

cwwash
03-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Just watch if an agent who has 2 jocks in the same race. There are ways these guys team up to make a large exacta.

Relwob Owner
03-12-2010, 06:18 AM

That's classless?

Refer to post #35....you used sarcasm and directly inferred that VC is classless and if I am not mistaken, that would fall under personally belittling him, wouldnt it? You seem to think you take the high road but in this case, you did not.....

the little guy
03-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Just watch if an agent who has 2 jocks in the same race. There are ways these guys team up to make a large exacta.

There is definitely a way.....by having the best two horses.

Igeteven
03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
We all know that most jockeys ware a size 3 hat, when it comes to riding that's is their field, when it comes to business, most of them are stupid.

Vic is a very intelligent man. Why he fired him, who does really know. I think this was a dumb move.

I have seen this in the past, and most jockeys live to regret it.

eastie
03-12-2010, 10:54 AM
i think it's tough to do your best for 2 top jocks at the same time. He probaly figures that ALL his agent's efforts should be on finding him live mounts, not him and some hot bug. Tough to serve 2 masters.

Relwob Owner
03-12-2010, 03:18 PM
i think it's tough to do your best for 2 top jocks at the same time. He probaly figures that ALL his agent's efforts should be on finding him live mounts, not him and some hot bug. Tough to serve 2 masters.

The rub seems to be that it is tough for an agent to get by with just one jock.....tough situation....seems to be that jockeys, Rosario included, should know going in their agent may have another guy/girl and that the conflict may eventually happen.

Owners often go through the same issue with their trainers and picking spots and you just have to chalk it up to being part of the game IMO.

cj
03-12-2010, 03:20 PM

Almost every agent in SoCal has two riders. I think there is more to the story than that. Could be he doesn't like his agent making news with the stewards, could be his lack of national exposure, could be a lot of things.

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2010, 06:06 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Cardus
03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Refer to post #35....you used sarcasm and directly inferred that VC is classless and if I am not mistaken, that would fall under personally belittling him, wouldnt it? You seem to think you take the high road but in this case, you did not.....

Re-read what I highlighted in the quoted post. "Everything" and "always" was a bit much for me.

toetoe
03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
It is also plausible that like a lot of riders, Rosario is quite smitten with himself and nothing will ever be good enough

Point taken. Another possibility: he would be shut out in a Jeopardy match versus Carmelo Anthony, and Mr. Ebanks is a silver-tongued snake (not that he didn't do great work on The Newlywed Game ... :ThmbUp: ...).

johnhannibalsmith
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Strong possibility.

Chase
03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Re-read what I highlighted in the quoted post. "Everything" and "always" was a bit much for me.
Re-read what I wrote in post #45. You're like a chick.

Relwob Owner
03-12-2010, 06:47 PM

It might be more effective to say that and explain yourself than the sarcastic and vacant "oh really" that you offered up the first time....

toetoe
03-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Please correct me if you know better, but Gomez is twiddling his thumbs because Anderson is getting him precious few good mounts. My sources tell me that a divorce is distracting him.

Now, without meaning to cause any friction, I suggest that Messrs. Gomez and Stauffer get together for a parley. I distinguish between Gomez's case and Rosario's in the following way: Gomez is seriously and justifiably disgruntled. If, in the process of getting regruntled, he hurts Mr. Anderson's feelings, that will be just too bad. :)

toetoe
03-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Cardus,

Are you hot ? (:Waggling eyebrows.)

Dahoss9698
03-12-2010, 07:14 PM

I read it. It was lame.

Relwob Owner
03-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Please correct me if you know better, but Gomez is twiddling his thumbs because Anderson is getting him precious few good mounts. My sources tell me that a divorce is distracting him.

Now, without meaning to cause any friction, I suggest that Messrs. Gomez and Stauffer get together for a parley. I distinguish between Gomez's case and Rosario's in the following way: Gomez is seriously and justifiably disgruntled. If, in the process of getting regruntled, he hurts Mr. Anderson's feelings, that will be just too bad. :)

A divorce is distracting who? Gomez or Anderson? A bit confusing...

Chase
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I read it. It was lame.
Let me guess you're her boyfriend coming to her defense. It's cool.

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2010, 07:43 PM

Leave the comedy to daHoss. You aren't funny, at least not here.

Chase
03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
:ThmbUp: You got it Mike.

Cardus
03-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Sharp post!

Cardus
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Asking your fake little questions when quoting others posts, while running back and forth from one message board to another repeating the same act. It's lame.

Other message boards? What do you mean?

Cardus
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM

It's funny you post this.

I wonder if the women of this board are offended by "[y]ou're like a chick"? It sounds like a put down.

What do you mean?

Cardus
03-12-2010, 11:04 PM

So, if I am "like a chick," then why would you refer to me as "her"?

Relwob and you are very sloppy.

Relwob Owner
03-12-2010, 11:19 PM
So, if I am "like a chick," then why would you refer to me as "her"?

Relwob and you are very sloppy.

I hate to bust in on your conversation with yourself....how am I sloppy? You make vague comments and dont back them up so please do so.....

Cardus
03-13-2010, 02:01 AM
I hate to bust in on your conversation with yourself....how am I sloppy? You make vague comments and dont back them up so please do so.....

Conversations with myself?

I responded to some earlier posts. How is that a conversation with myself?

Since I wager -- perhaps others here wager as well, though sometimes I doubt it -- I do not check in here as immediately as do others throughout the day.

Enjoy the racing.

Relwob Owner
03-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Conversations with myself?

I responded to some earlier posts. How is that a conversation with myself?

Since I wager -- perhaps others here wager as well, though sometimes I doubt it -- I do not check in here as immediately as do others throughout the day.

Enjoy the racing.

When you respond three times and get no response, I would quailfy that as conversing with yourself...I was the only one dim enough to respond to your fourth post and as usual, did not get a direct response....shame on me for thinking I was dealing with someone who could have a direct debate and not just drop random comments.....

You lumped me in with your pissing match with Chase, calling me sloppy(you Pot, me Kettle), and again, I asked you why and you didnt respond directly to it.

You throw out comments and dont address responses directly, which makes for a pretty weak contribution to the board IMO....that makes me glad there is an ignore button...

Enjoy the racing as well.

Mineshaft
03-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Vic where you at? maybe Vic can come here and explain what went down if he can.

andymays
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
from www.racingwithbruno.com newsletter.

Young And The Restless

There is no loyalty in racing, especially when it comes down to jockey's and agents

Last Saturday Vic Stauffer was on a local radio show citing his friendship with Joel Rosario and how they are close friends along their working relationship, but Wednesday, it was more like Friday the 13th when Stauffer was fired by Rosario.

Ron Ebanks, who had Michael and Tyler Baze, was immediately hired by Rosario. He no longer has Tyler's book. Michael will be in Ronnie's hands until he leaves for Chicago, more on that later.

The rumors around Stauffer and Rosario was there was a riff between Joel, his significant other and Vic, over Martin Garcia.

The significant other had a hand in the firing of Vincent De Gregory before Vi took over Joel's book, so there may be some intervention from the homefront on whom Joel does business with.

Additionally, Rosario and Bejarano are very close friends and have been protecting each other's mounts, and in my feeling, that didn't sit well with Vic (as Vic may have wanted to have Garcia fill in for rosario). Bejarano and Rosario have been wanting to double team and now with the new agent in place, who has already a strong friendship with Bejarano's people, you have a formidable pair holding the aces in the jockey colony here in Southern California.

Let me explain, if Bejarano has another call, but wants to protect this particular mount for another time and place, Rosario will surely show up on board, or vice versa. This, of course, is of our own conjuncture, with the help of a few strategically placed moles, we may get to the bottom of this entire soap opera.

"Rosario already called me and reached out a hand already,'' said one trainer, who asked to remain anonymous. "I use Bejarano, and now I might be able to get either one.'' Sounds like a win-win situation.

Stauffer did a very good job for Rosario in our opinion,but was, indeed, 'surprised' by Rosario's decision. He was in the Carava, Sadler, Hollendorfer,and many top 5 type barns, however, Vic also played the game with mounts at the draw. "He would have three horses with calls at the draw and then cherry pick,'' said the mole, "and that angered some trainers who got spun,'' he added.

In fact, a few weeks ago, a trainer actually threw it out in an interview on HRTV, "I got spun by Rosario at the draw and ended up with Bejarano in the winners circle."

Handicappers often mistake jockey agent tactics for jockey favoring one horse over another. Most of the times, it is what is called, aggressive booking. A jockey agent would be more apt to go with a lessor animal from a bigger barn than a live horse from small barn from time to time, too.

"Tyler, as of Friday, doesn't have an agent, yet, and Ebanks will handle Michael Baze until he leaves for Chicago in mid-April" an insider told me Friday morning. According to additional sources, Wayne Catalano and the Calabrese racing team has extended an hand out to Michael for the Arlington Park meet.

Wayne, Frankie and the boys, like Fritzy, and Leutzy will take care fo our boy out there.

"Tyler and Mike had to hear about it from a third party that Ebanks had secured the Rosario camp,'' an insider reported to Racingwithbruno.
We know Ebanks and certainly the story will fall in the somewhere in the middle , as we give Ebanks the benefit of the doubt here.

So, here is the aftermath, Rosario with Ebanks, as is Michael Baze until mid-April. Tyler Baze is looking for an agent, and Vic Stouffer has only Martin Garcia right now.

Ok, got it?

Deepsix
03-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Actually, it would be Joel who ought to provide that info. Although Vic has been somewhat public concerning many aspects of his career(s) over the years, it is my belief that he's better served by saying nothing more. Its business.

Relwob Owner
03-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Actually, it would be Joel who ought to provide that info. Although Vic has been somewhat public concerning many aspects of his career(s) over the years, it is my belief that he's better served by saying nothing more. Its business.

Fair point.....Seems like a lot of "he said" stuff and we may never know what heppened....I am always amazed when an agent dumps jockeys to take another and the jock the agent goes with doesnt realize that the agent will probably do that to them as well when times get tough....

toetoe
03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
The rumors around Stauffer and Rosario was there was a riff between Joel, his significant other and Vic, over Martin Garcia.

The significant other had a hand in the firing of Vincent De Gregory before Vi took over Joel's book, so there may be some intervention from the homefront on whom Joel does business with.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Joel Rosario will be racing without p __ __ __ y whip. Thank you."

toussaud
03-13-2010, 04:57 PM
"Ladies and gentlemen, Joel Rosario will be racing without p __ __ __ y whip. Thank you."
post of the day

toetoe
03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
A divorce is distracting who? Gomez or Anderson? A bit confusing...

Anderson, the guy that's supposed to be hustling on behalf of his rider.

Relwob Owner
03-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Anderson, the guy that's supposed to be hustling on behalf of his rider.

Got it-thanks for that-didnt know if it was him or Gomez you were referring to.....well done with the Rosario whip post-made my day....

Kimsus
03-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Agreed, though I have mixed feelings. You want to know what exactly happened, but given his public fights...ie Jay Privman the most obvious. This may be a good time to keep a lid on things. Atleast Garcia is doing well for him and Hollywood is just around the corner, he'll be busy enough.

toetoe
03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Got it-thanks for that-didnt know if it was him or Gomez you were referring to.....well done with the Rosario whip post-made my day....

All part of the torture ... er, service, that is. (:Bowing.)

v j stauffer
03-14-2010, 04:18 AM
Vic where you at? maybe Vic can come here and explain what went down if he can.

Before I was hired by Martin Garcia I asked for Joel's good graces. He willingly game them. As Martin began to have sucess I would periodically check Joel's comfort level. He always assured me that he was fine and happy for Martin. The day he fired me in addition to saying he felt he could do better. He stated that he felt uncomfortable with an agent that had two riders. He also stated that if I would have stayed with him he expected me to resign as the announcer at Hollywood Park. THERE IS NO CHANCE OF ME EVER DOING THAT. If Pincay made a comeback and Shoemaker can back to life in his prime I'm not walking away from race calling. For what it's worth I knew something was brewing Wed. afternoon. Joel told me he wanted to speak to me after the races. I knew I was either being fired or asked to give up Garcia. I had about 2 hours to prepare for that meeting. I sought counsel from three good friends. John Sadler, Mike Mitchell and my wife Tina. After hearing what they had to say and searching my heart I had decided to stay with Martin if the ultimatim was issued. It never was and I was out. Oh well. I did my best. I wish Joel well. He's a great rider. Our business is like no other in the world. Very dysfunctional. I'm not immune or is anyone else. More to come soon..................What could it be?

Marlin
03-14-2010, 04:23 AM
More to come soon..................What could it be?Pincay is coming back?

v j stauffer
03-14-2010, 04:27 AM
Pincay is coming back?

No. If he did I'd love to be his agent!!

Deepsix
03-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Since you have decided to make a "public statement" ( I see the same verbatim comment on another board) how about telling us the finer details. What, to your knowledge, was the basis for Joel cutting the cord with you? Giving up race calling doesn't make much sense. What really happened?

InsideThePylons-MW
03-14-2010, 05:00 AM
Wed. afternoon. Joel told me he wanted to speak to me after the races. I knew I was either being fired or asked to give up Garcia. I had about 2 hours to prepare for that meeting. I sought counsel from three good friends. John Sadler, Mike Mitchell and my wife Tina.

I would have brought my good friend Luca Brasi to the meeting

pandy
03-14-2010, 07:39 AM
As soon as I found out that Vic had taken on Garcia I figured it wouldn't be long before Rosario dropped him. The fields in CA. are too small to represent two riders, you're bound to run into problems. When Vic asked Joel for his blessing, Rosario should have said no.

Spalding No!
03-14-2010, 10:51 AM
More to come soon..................What could it be?

You just saved 15% on your car insurance by switching to Geico?

Steve 'StatMan'
03-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Giving up race calling doesn't make much sense. What really happened?

Vic's the race caller at Hollywood Park, one of the tops in the game! His career! A Top Track! On the Top Circuit! Makes perfect sense to me! What, give up that job and THEN lose the jockey later on? Still has one, but they change a LOT in this business. I thought he explained it quite well with that, and Rosario, or more likely, Rosario's significant other, wanting Joel to have an exclusive agent. Read Jay Hovdey's article & interview in DRF with Harry "The Hat" Hacek.

Hacek was not that surprised when he heard about the Rosario switch.

"The agent with the toughest job and the least job security is the guy with the second leading rider," Hacek said. Rosario is currently second in the Santa Anita standings to Rafael Bejarano.

http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=111401&subs=0&arc=0

"Jockeys are always told how much better they should be doing," Hacek said. "Valets, groupies, girlfriends, agents. Everybody's telling them they should be riding this horse or that horse, but in reality the agent is one on one with his jock. That's why I so admire the long-term relationships, like Scotty McClellan had with Chris McCarron and Alex Solis, and Harry Silbert had with Shoemaker. It's a hard association to maintain."

Kimsus
03-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Before I was hired by Martin Garcia I asked for Joel's good graces. He willingly game them. As Martin began to have sucess I would periodically check Joel's comfort level. He always assured me that he was fine and happy for Martin. The day he fired me in addition to saying he felt he could do better. He stated that he felt uncomfortable with an agent that had two riders. He also stated that if I would have stayed with him he expected me to resign as the announcer at Hollywood Park. THERE IS NO CHANCE OF ME EVER DOING THAT. If Pincay made a comeback and Shoemaker can back to life in his prime I'm not walking away from race calling. For what it's worth I knew something was brewing Wed. afternoon. Joel told me he wanted to speak to me after the races. I knew I was either being fired or asked to give up Garcia. I had about 2 hours to prepare for that meeting. I sought counsel from three good friends. John Sadler, Mike Mitchell and my wife Tina. After hearing what they had to say and searching my heart I had decided to stay with Martin if the ultimatim was issued. It never was and I was out. Oh well. I did my best. I wish Joel well. He's a great rider. Our business is like no other in the world. Very dysfunctional. I'm not immune or is anyone else. More to come soon..................What could it be?

Considering how tenious being an agent is, you made the correct decision keeping the announcing job.

v j stauffer
03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Since you have decided to make a "public statement" ( I see the same verbatim comment on another board) how about telling us the finer details. What, to your knowledge, was the basis for Joel cutting the cord with you? Giving up race calling doesn't make much sense. What really happened?

When Martin Garcia started to do very well. Joel felt uncomfortable. This has happened a thousand times and will again. It's the nature of super competative super talented athletes. Nothing more nothing less.

Deepsix
03-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks Goof, I appreciate you posting and good luck in the future. Looking forward to your calls @ HP come later April.

Cardus
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
When Martin Garcia started to do very well. Joel felt uncomfortable. This has happened a thousand times and will again. It's the nature of super competative super talented athletes. Nothing more nothing less.

If this situation happened "a thousand times and will again," then why did you take on Garcia?

Perhaps you could have forestalled this outcome by adding Garcia. Yes or no?

Also, what did you think of the comments posted by a few folks on the Paulick Report? Surely, you read those comments.

This situation has shed light on the jockey/jockey agent dynamic. Perhaps you could add additional perspective. It is an interesting element of racing.

Deepsix
03-17-2010, 01:17 PM
The 'ol rumor mill is entertaining and questions concerning what really transpired between JR and his previous agent (Vic) remain something to speculate on, however I thought this Newsletter (about 5 days old) was rather intriguing and only piqued my interest, more- I don't know if there has been any clarification/followup since this was posted.

http://www.santaanita.com/sites/default/files/sa0312newsletter_0.pdf

Deepsix
03-17-2010, 01:43 PM
? Sorry if the link is not working? I just read it (this newsletter) this morning but as I attempt to access the link now it failed. ???

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2010, 07:16 PM
? Sorry if the link is not working? I just read it (this newsletter) this morning but as I attempt to access the link now it failed. ???Works fine for me...

Deepsix
03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey, good to hear! My browser locked up each time I tried the link.... thought you may have had the same problem.

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
As an aside, if you're running Adobe Acrobat 9.3 (their most recent version), I along with other have had symptoms of it locking the browser when trying to view a PDF (I'm running IE8 and Vista).

I read the suggestion of switching back to an older version (8.2 is the version before the latest)...so I uninstalled 9.3, rebooted, and reinstalled 8.2, and haven't had a lock up problem since.

You can get the older version here:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

cj
03-17-2010, 10:29 PM
As an aside, if you're running Adobe Acrobat 9.3 (their most recent version), I along with other have had symptoms of it locking the browser when trying to view a PDF (I'm running IE8 and Vista).

I read the suggestion of switching back to an older version (8.2 is the version before the latest)...so I uninstalled 9.3, rebooted, and reinstalled 8.2, and haven't had a lock up problem since.

You can get the older version here:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Or switch to the much faster Foxit Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/).