PDA

View Full Version : Costs of owing a race horse ?

BeatTheChalk
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
How much would it cost to own a race horse - train - keep - run and feed :)
My friend asked me and of course I don't know. Thanks for your input.

JWBurnie
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Search "If You Are A Thoroughbred Owner".

It varies, greatly.

46zilzal
03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
A few years back The Blood Horse did a study from foaling to first race, CONSERVATIVELY over 30k and that is just to the first contest.

One of many reasons it keeps the title sport of kings!

FenceBored
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Search "If You Are A Thoroughbred Owner".

It varies, greatly.

If you are a thoroughbred owner (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67369)

Horseplayersbet.com
03-10-2010, 05:28 PM
This is for Ontario: http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2010/03/cost-of-owning-thoroughbred-in-ontario.html

This is for New York: http://businessofracing.blogspot.com/2010/03/cost-of-ownership-in-new-york.html

Hanover1
03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Unless you bleed oil, its best approached as a hobby rather than an investment. Odds are generally poor unless you see the glass half full. Don't invest any more than you are willing to part with on a permanent basis. 30k is a conservative figure, and no guarantees of ever seeing the gate, much less any hardware for the mantle.......

Relwob Owner
03-10-2010, 06:11 PM

Really depends where....Off the top of my head, at Mid Atlantic tracks, I would put the figure around 25K total for day rate and vet and the miscellanous additional fees are 2K and up...

FenceBored
03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Unless you bleed oil, its best approached as a hobby rather than an investment. Odds are generally poor unless you see the glass half full. Don't invest any more than you are willing to part with on a permanent basis. 30k is a conservative figure, and no guarantees of ever seeing the gate, much less any hardware for the mantle.......

Don't let the IRS hear you say that! :faint:

lamboguy
03-10-2010, 06:13 PM
it cost to much and i am in the buy and sell business. what i am selling are hopes and dreams, and sometimes they turn out to be dreams, but not often. in today's world you can get second hand horses through the claim box if you are good at doing it. you will also need a good trainer to go with your ability to claim good horses. those guys aren't cheap these days, and even though they do win when you wind up cutting up the money you wind up with very little if you made a good claim. the thing that is hurting horses now is the residual value, studfee's are way down, and you can buy broodmare's in foal pretty cheap. the sales have also been a disapointment. there are more horses that don't meet their reserves than ever before. therefore you now have more people like myself who are now racing horses that don't want to.

Hanover1
03-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Don't let the IRS hear you say that! :faint:
They always get the sob story... ;)

Hanover1
03-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Ya gotta love the game and be able to take a beating......

JWBurnie
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
the thing that is hurting horses now is the residual value, studfee's are way down, and you can buy broodmare's in foal pretty cheap. the sales have also been a disapointment. there are more horses that don't meet their reserves than ever before. therefore you now have more people like myself who are now racing horses that don't want to.

Hey Lamboguy,

What impact do you think these declines have had on the claiming ranks thus far? I feel like horses are being depreciated in value quicker, or owners aren't looking to protect their horses as much, or as long. Thoughts? Observations?

Also, are farms giving studfees away at this point? Specifically the stallions that were standing for 5k-15k two years ago. The impact 2-4 years from now will be interesting... you'd have to think numbers will be way down, but prices up? May have a positive impact on the industry.

WinterTriangle
03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
How much would it cost to own a race horse

Hopefully, you need a tax write off.
Or, you love it, your family loves it, and it's your greatest pleasure.

Otherwise, not high on the list of smart investments as things go. :)

BlueShoe
03-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Believe that many of us have heard the old race track saying that goes something like this; "The only thing more expensive than betting on race horses is owning them".