PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Paragallo convicted on 33 of 34 counts of animal cruelty !

andymays
03-10-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=909939

Excerpt:

CATSKILL -- Horse trainer and breeder Ernie Paragallo was found guilty this morning of 33 of 34 misdemeanor counts of neglecting his 177 horses at Center Brook Farm in Climax.

The Long Island man has been on trial for the last two weeks to decide if he knowingly starved the animals at his Greene County farm. The verdict was determined by Judge George G. Pulver Jr. in Greene County Court after Paragallo waived his right to a jury trial.
Paragallo rushed out of the courtroom as soon as the verdict was read and did not comment.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=909939#ixzz0hnFPFGrY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/March/10/Ernie-Paragallo-convicted-on-33-of-34-animal-cruelty-charges.aspx

Excerpt:

Witnesses described the animals, some of which had to be euthanized, as “walking skeletons” and “nothing but bones.”

Paragallo tried to deflect blame from himself during the six-day trial, saying his veterinarian and farm manager never told him about conditions. He said he could not visit the farm personally because he was attending to his sick father.

But that did not wash with Judge George Pulver Jr., who rendered the non-jury trial’s decision. Paragallo’s attorney Michael Howard opted for a bench trial concerned that potential witnesses would have been influenced by graphic photos and pictures of starved, sickly horses. The case generated nationwide media attention.

joanied
03-10-2010, 03:17 PM
andymays...you are always one step ahead of me ;) ...I think everyone involved in horse racing/Thoroughbreds/horses in general will be happy about this conviction...I know I am:jump:

Hope ol' Ernie gets the maximum time allowed... I think he should go to that prison (can't recall which one:blush: ) where the inmates take care of rescue horses...that would be perfect justice.

andymays
03-10-2010, 03:18 PM
andymays...you are always one step ahead of me ;) ...I think everyone involved in horse racing/Thoroughbreds/horses in general will be happy about this conviction...I know I am:jump:

Hope ol' Ernie gets the maximum time allowed... I think he should go to that prison (can't recall which one:blush: ) where the inmates take care of rescue horses...that would be perfect justice.

A true Villain and all around bad guy! :ThmbDown:

Tom
03-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Prison is justified here.

thaskalos
03-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Hope ol' Ernie gets the maximum time allowed... I think he should go to that prison (can't recall which one:blush: ) where the inmates take care of rescue horses...that would be perfect justice. Perfect justice would be if they took away Paragallo's share in Unbridled's Song, and they used it to build retirement farms for aging horses.

joanied
03-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Perfect justice would be if they took away Paragallo's share in Unbridled's Song, and they used it to build retirement farms for aging horses.

Prison and your suggestion too...a lot of folks are saying the same thing...most of US's stud fees should be taken from Paragallo and used for GOOD...like donating monies to rescue facilities ect.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

And what is the name of that prison where inmates take care of rescue horses...I do beleive it's Upstate NY someplace? It would be the perfect place for him to do his time.

WinterTriangle
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately, he will receive shelter from weather and snow, as well as food, in prison.

Which is a lot more than those horses got.

Cardus
03-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Sure, let's strip the man of his property outside of what is lawful in the name of "perfect justice."

Why stop there with "perfect justice"? If some of the abused horses were geldings, maybe "they" can geld Paragallo.

You know, "perfect justice."

And who are "lots of folks are saying"?

No one condones Paragallo's [in]actions, but if some of the above were pulling the levers of judicial power, it would be scary.

lamboguy
03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
this is one sick story. i don't understand how a person in this business can be so cruel to animal's, he certainly is another black eye in this game. this sport desparately needs some rules changes in order to survive, like something that would not allow this type of behavior. horseracing needs to police itself.

Hanover1
03-10-2010, 06:29 PM
This whole story has been a disgrace from day one. Owner responsibility places him down there with Charlie Manson. "I Was not there, I didn't know".
Starve him to death......

joanied
03-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Sure, let's strip the man of his property outside of what is lawful in the name of "perfect justice."

Why stop there with "perfect justice"? If some of the abused horses were geldings, maybe "they" can geld Paragallo.

No one condones Paragallo's [in]actions, but if some of the above were pulling the levers of judicial power, it would be scary.

:confused: What???
'lots of folks are saying'.... the comments below the story from readers...many are saying taking some of US's stud fees to help rescue facilities would be a good idea. I just passed that tidbit along.

You are reaching here...who said they should 'strip him of his property'...I sure didn't. Of course 'they' are going to follow the law in whatever judgments they put upon Paragallo.

My suggestion that it would be 'perfect justice' to have him serve time at the prison where inmates care for rescue horses seems perfectly logical to me.

There is not one good excuse for what Paragallo did...at the very least, he totally ignored the animals he was responsible for...and therefore, should pay the price.

What would you suggest, cardus?

Cardus
03-10-2010, 06:43 PM
His income from Unbridled Song's stud fee is his property. Both you and the poster immediately above you typed that his share of stud fees -- either all or most -- should be taken from him. Surely, his share is greater than the state law permits as a maximum fine. I didn't misconstrue or misinterpret what both of you typed.

So yes, since he was convicted, he deserves punishment.

But those -- however many exist, be it small or "lots" -- who desire that the state goes beyond what is legally permissible (in terms of punishment) are outrageous.

The punishment should be in proportion to the sentencing guidelines.

Cardus
03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
This whole story has been a disgrace from day one. Owner responsibility places him down there with Charlie Manson. "I Was not there, I didn't know".
Starve him to death......

Ernie Paragallo is equivalent to Charles Manson?

You're out of your mind... like Manson.

joanied
03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
His income from Unbridled Song's stud fee is his property. Both you and the poster immediately above you typed that his share of stud fees -- either all or most -- should be taken from him. Surely, his share is greater than the state law permits as a maximum fine. I didn't misconstrue or misinterpret what both of you typed.

So yes, since he was convicted, he deserves punishment.

But those -- however many exist, be it small or "lots" -- who desire that the state goes beyond what is legally permissible (in terms of punishment) are outrageous.

The punishment should be in proportion to the sentencing guidelines.

I agree, his punishment should abide by sentencing guidelines...he'll have to pay court costs/fines, no doubt...why not include a donation to the facilities that took in his horses. Forget aboput US's stud fees...or anything esle connected to that stallion...but, IMO, as part of his sentence, contributions to those facilites seems just.

IMO, this man needs to suffer something...in accordance with what his horses suffered...I cannot allow myself to think he deserves any sympathy at all...

Saratoga_Mike
03-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Prison and your suggestion too...a lot of folks are saying the same thing...most of US's stud fees should be taken from Paragallo and used for GOOD...like donating monies to rescue facilities ect.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

And what is the name of that prison where inmates take care of rescue horses...I do beleive it's Upstate NY someplace? It would be the perfect place for him to do his time.

I believe it's Fishkill Correctional, which is about 70 miles or so north of NYC.

Charli125
03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
I agree, his punishment should abide by sentencing guidelines...he'll have to pay court costs/fines, no doubt...why not include a donation to the facilities that took in his horses. Forget aboput US's stud fees...or anything esle connected to that stallion...but, IMO, as part of his sentence, contributions to those facilites seems just.

I'm pretty sure that was part of Michael Vick's sentence. I'm not sure how much he had to donate, but I know he ended up paying a lot of money in fines to various rescue organizations.

It's definitely not unheard of.

only11
03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
throw the key away..treat his ass the same way he treated his horses.

kenwoodallpromos
03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Each state/track rules owners and trainers with horses in training- but what about those holding a racing related license of and kind and owning non-racing horses? How does racing control them? I'm glad to hear the Jockey Club talking tough- but what about current breeding stock and others? Who controls those who own OR care for ex-racers or ex-breeders?
IMO, there are several organizations that can write new rules concerning current licensed owners, jockeys, tainers, tellers, offivals, and anyone else who owns non-racing, even non-Tbred stock. This should be included in a morals clause required when obtaining a license.

Hanover1
03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Ernie Paragallo is equivalent to Charles Manson?

You're out of your mind... like Manson.
You obviously missed the analogy...its about taking responsibility. Something he failed to do during testimony as reported. And yes it is evil to think that he walked around daily with no clue.....

Hanover1
03-10-2010, 08:42 PM

Just handle the outrage dude.......

Cardus
03-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Just handle the outrage dude.......

Just handle the outrage?

Since I am not outraged -- the hysterical recommendations were from others -- I suspect that you are referring to others' outrage.

Cardus
03-10-2010, 09:14 PM
I didn't miss the analogy. Instead, I thought that using Manson to make your analogy was a little bit much. Technically speaking, I understood your analogy.

Cardus
03-10-2010, 09:27 PM

IMO, this man needs to suffer something...in accordance with what his horses suffered...I cannot allow myself to think he deserves any sympathy at all...

The maximum fine and prison time, according to Bloodhorse, is $35,000 and two years. That's it.

So you're backing off on the stud fees: well done. If Paragallo wants to donate money to charitable causes, then that is fantastic. It should not be mandated by the judiciary, though.

I sense from a couple of posts "eye for an eye" thinking. Interesting.

Tom
03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I sense you are obsessed in this thread. Interesting.

westny
03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Just handle the outrage?

Since I am not outraged -- the hysterical recommendations were from others -- I suspect that you are referring to others' outrage.

I think Paragallo should be "drawn and quartered". THAT would be justice.

WinterTriangle
03-11-2010, 12:09 AM
horseracing needs to police itself.

We would have to move this to general political area. I would love to draw up a list of industries who have successfully policed "themselves" in american corporate history, but I'm hard-pressed and staring at a blank page.

If the intent was there, this wouldn't have happened.

Cardus
03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I sense you are obsessed in this thread. Interesting.

Not at all, Tom. Actually, I had an "over/under" of 4 posts until I read something similar to what was posted regarding what Paragallo should lose as a result of his irresponsibility that went far beyond what was legally allowable.

This situation is tailor-made for stuff like this: it's easy to jump on Paragallo, because he is indefensible. And then it gets ridiculous.

joanied
03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I believe it's Fishkill Correctional, which is about 70 miles or so north of NYC.

Yes, that's the one....thanks:ThmbUp: It would be a perfect place for him to do his time...and since it's in NY...there should be no problem sentencing him to that prison.
(although, I'd love to see him in a cell in Atica with a guy named Bubba:eek: )

Igeteven
03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
The maximum fine and prison time, according to Bloodhorse, is $35,000 and two years. That's it.

So you're backing off on the stud fees: well done. If Paragallo wants to donate money to charitable causes, then that is fantastic. It should not be mandated by the judiciary, though.

You are right, I believe he will get the fine, 60 days at the most or picking trash on weekends

joanied
03-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Yeah, backing off the stud fees...but, I do beleive that part of the sentencing should be to contribute a rather hefty sum of monies to the facilites that cared for his horses...including a donation to the Bobby Frankel division of Old Friends (because Bobby would have been outraged over this)...so I do beleive that should be mandated within his sentence.
$35,000 doesn't mean much to his pockebook, IMO...

and a 6 month sentence is not enough (as mentioned by Igeteven)...if that is the maximum allowed, then they need to change that. Fishkill Prison is waiting...they need another inmate to care for rescue horses...if he does only 6 months, it'd be in county jail...which is not the hard time he deserves.

Hanover1
03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Just handle the outrage?

People are outraged, and the current sentencing guidelines, as reflected by many in the industry, are a bit soft for these type of infractions, considering many suspect he will not get the maximum.

Pace Cap'n
03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
County almost always sucks worse than the big house.

lamboguy
03-11-2010, 03:15 PM
one thing for sure, where ever he goes will be no picnic for him. those guys sitting in couty jails and state jails don't like child molesters, men that hit women, and my guess they can't like guys that abuse animals either. his length of sentence don't mean a thing, its just a question if he ever makes it out of the can. i suspect he will payoff some tuff guys family on the outside to protect him. where ever he is going there are guys waiting for him to show up.

thaskalos
03-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Not at all, Tom. Actually, I had an "over/under" of 4 posts until I read something similar to what was posted regarding what Paragallo should lose as a result of his irresponsibility that went far beyond what was legally allowable.

This situation is tailor-made for stuff like this: it's easy to jump on Paragallo, because he is indefensible. And then it gets ridiculous. C'mon Cardus,

We all know that we live in a democratic society...do you really think that I was serious when I said to confiscate his share of Unbridled's Song? I was just trying to make the point that he was easily capable, financially, to provide some hay and water for these starving horses, given his economic status in this game. What a disgrace of a human being...

PaceAdvantage
03-11-2010, 06:53 PM
those guys sitting in couty jails and state jails don't like child molesters, men that hit women, and my guess they can't like guys that abuse animals either.Yup...those guys sitting in county jails are such upstanding citizens themselves...volunteering to sit in jail and wait for the real bad guy to show up so that they can show them the error of their ways during shower time...:lol:

thaskalos
03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Yup...those guys sitting in county jails are such upstanding citizens themselves...volunteering to sit in jail and wait for the real bad guy to show up so that they can show them the error of their ways during shower time...:lol: It's a dirty job...but somebody has to do it...

Cardus
03-11-2010, 07:10 PM
one thing for sure, where ever he goes will be no picnic for him. those guys sitting in couty jails and state jails don't like child molesters, men that hit women, and my guess they can't like guys that abuse animals either. his length of sentence don't mean a thing, its just a question if he ever makes it out of the can. i suspect he will payoff some tuff guys family on the outside to protect him. where ever he is going there are guys waiting for him to show up.

Outstanding!

Cardus
03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
C'mon Cardus,

We all know that we live in a democratic society...do you really think that I was serious when I said to confiscate his share of Unbridled's Song? I was just trying to make the point that he was easily capable, financially, to provide some hay and water for these starving horses, given his economic status in this game. What a disgrace of a human being...

Yes, I think that your post was serious. Now, if it weren't serious, then maybe you could have alerted Joanied, who responded minutes later and took your suggestion and ran.

If you wanted to ensure that people knew that you were not serious, then you should have posted something similar to lamboguy's "the boys are going to make it rough on Ernie because they hate animal cruelty" post earlier this evening.

Lamboguy went out of his way to post something funny so that no one would think s/he was serious. That was funny.

thaskalos
03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, I think that your post was serious. Now, if it weren't serious, then maybe you could have alerted Joanied, who responded minutes later and took your suggestion and ran.

If you wanted to ensure that people knew that you were not serious, then you should have posted something similar to lamboguy's "the boys are going to make it rough on Ernie because they hate animal cruelty" post earlier this evening.

Lamboguy went out of his way to post something funny so that no one would think s/he was serious. That was funny. Unlike you, I have other things to do than to concern myself with the legal rights of someone like Ernie Paragallo. Who are you, his lawyer? You are going to be the one to tell us what is reasonable or not? Why can't we have a little fun at the expense of a man who, as far as I am concerned, deserves no sympathy at all?

joanied
03-11-2010, 08:11 PM
County almost always sucks worse than the big house.

Oh, hell...I know that, beleive me...and if he gets 6 mos. there, he'll be out in 4.
The one thing that's better about the joint is that you can have your 'own room' (:D ), the food is better (he should be eating moldy oats:D ) and you get to use the 'yard'...if he gets a prison term, he'll have to be there for at least a year:ThmbUp:

joanied
03-11-2010, 08:14 PM

Yeah, his name is Bubbah:eek:

Seriously though, imagine him getting to spend his time at Fishkill, where the inmates love the horses...that would be true poetic judgment.

Tom
03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I like you joanied....you have a dark side! :D

Saddle him up and ride him hard! Yippie kio ki ay!

Cardus
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Unlike you, I have other things to do than to concern myself with the legal rights of someone like Ernie Paragallo. Who are you, his lawyer? You are going to be the one to tell us what is reasonable or not? Why can't we have a little fun at the expense of a man who, as far as I am concerned, deserves no sympathy at all?

Unlike you, I do not resort to the internet land standard line of "I have other things to do..." Both of us have spent a relatively miniscule portion of time here.

Quite the opposite of declaring what is "reasonable" according to my feelings -- and backtracking when someone calls you on it -- all that I have reasoned is that he should be sentenced within the guidelines of the law. I haven't interjected my feelings on the subject, other than to acknowledge that his inactions are indefensible. Really simple.

And as far as the last question above, it would be interesting to see how that would play out in the "Rosario/Ebanks" thread.

Relwob Owner
03-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Unlike you, I do not resort to the internet land standard line of "I have other things to do..." Both of us have spent a relatively miniscule portion of time here.

Quite the opposite of declaring what is "reasonable" according to my feelings -- and backtracking when someone calls you on it -- all that I have reasoned is that he should be sentenced within the guidelines of the law. I haven't interjected my feelings on the subject, other than to acknowledge that his inactions are indefensible. Really simple.

And as far as the last question above, it would be interesting to see how that would play out in the "Rosario/Ebanks" thread.

It seems pretty clear that people understand the guidelines of the law and are referring to the fact that the guidelines may not be strict enough....you seem to fancy yourself as quite intelligent and if that is true, I am surprised you didnt pick up on that....

You referred to the Rosario thread....I assumed that you had forgotten about it after you made you own reference to something and never had the time/energy/wish to back it up....

eastie
03-11-2010, 10:46 PM

he doesn't deserve to be around horses. and they shouldn't have to be around a man like that. can you imagine anyone treating horses so badly. must be tough for him to sleep at night.

joanied
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I like you joanied....you have a dark side! :D

Saddle him up and ride him hard! Yippie kio ki ay!

Oooops...my secret is out ;)

joanied
03-12-2010, 10:37 AM
he doesn't deserve to be around horses. and they shouldn't have to be around a man like that. can you imagine anyone treating horses so badly. must be tough for him to sleep at night.

I'd bet he never looses any sleep over this... he might not deserve to be around horses, but hey...they do pick up vibes from human's...so if they decide to bite him or kick him, all the better:)

Stillriledup
08-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Sorry for bumping an old post, you know me, it pains me to do so. But, instead of starting a new topic (which i could if you want) i decided to ask this question here.

What's the difference between what Paragallo did and what "certain trainers" who have handfuls of mysterious deaths in their barns goes? Why would those trainers not be charged with animal cruelty and suffer jail time? Im not an expert on the Paragallo case, maybe someone can explain the difference.

Grits
08-15-2013, 05:23 PM
If you cannot recognize the difference between concrete evidence of starving more than 30 horses too death, while 170 others suffered near starvation and neglect and had to be rescued and rehomed .... with allegations--not being able to determine the EXACT cause of a "handful" of horse's deaths--there's absolutely no hope of explaining anything regarding this matter.

There's this thing called "proof". I'm sorry but your post is simply one of innuendo, you are presenting no concrete evidence of the horses and trainers of which you speak.

thaskalos
08-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Sorry for bumping an old post, you know me, it pains me to do so. But, instead of starting a new topic (which i could if you want) i decided to ask this question here.

What's the difference between what Paragallo did and what "certain trainers" who have handfuls of mysterious deaths in their barns goes? Why would those trainers not be charged with animal cruelty and suffer jail time? Im not an expert on the Paragallo case, maybe someone can explain the difference.

As Grits already said...there is no similarity between the Paragallo case and the "mysterious deaths" that you mentioned.

But I am still glad that you brought up this old thread.

I had forgotten how humorless that Cardus could get at times... :)

Stillriledup
08-15-2013, 05:37 PM
If you cannot recognize the difference between concrete evidence of starving more than 30 horses too death, while 170 others suffered near starvation and neglect and had to be rescued and rehomed .... with allegations--not being able to determine the EXACT cause of a "handful" of horse's deaths--there's absolutely no hope of explaining anything regarding this matter.

There's this thing called "proof". I'm sorry but your post is simply one of innuendo, you are presenting no concrete evidence of the horses and trainers of which you speak.

So the dead body of the horse isnt proof? Did these horses die of old age or natural causes?

thaskalos
08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
So the dead body of the horse isnt proof? Did these horses die of old age or natural causes?

I have a hard time negotiating the search engine of this site, SRU...so I am thinking that asking you is the next best thing:

Were the circumstances surrounding Alydar's death ever discussed on this board?

Stillriledup
08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
I have a hard time negotiating the search engine of this site, SRU...so I am thinking that asking you is the next best thing:

I would imagine they were...didnt he get his leg broken with a baseball bat or something? Or, maybe i'm thinking of another horse?

Stillriledup
08-15-2013, 05:48 PM

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60946&highlight=alydar+death

Saratoga_Mike
08-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Please re-read the part about "proof" of neglect.

Stillriledup
08-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Please re-read the part about "proof" of neglect.

What proof are you looking for besides a handful of mysterious deaths? Remember, trainer responsibility rule.

5k-claim
08-15-2013, 09:17 PM
What proof are you looking for besides a handful of mysterious deaths? Remember, trainer responsibility rule.
You should forward this case to Nancy Grace.

horses4courses
08-15-2013, 09:22 PM
You should forward this case to Nancy Grace.

or Nancy Drew.......... :rolleyes:

5k-claim
08-15-2013, 09:52 PM
or Nancy Drew.......... :rolleyes:
Or Nancy Cartwright for voice-over ...

Stillriledup
08-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Or Nancy Cartwright for voice-over ...

Or Nancy "Just say no" Reagan! :ThmbUp: