PDA

View Full Version : What do you bring to the track?

cwwash
03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
I never leave home without The Bruno De Julio tip sheet. He has an excellent eye for talent. I feel his sheet has put me in position to take home 4 pick six's over the Pro-Ride and Cushion track in the last 22 months. Have any of the other members used his sheet and what sort of tip sheets or work reports do you take to the track.

Robert Goren
03-10-2010, 12:52 AM
A red pen, a green pen and cash. I usually leave with the pens.;)

Igeteven
03-10-2010, 01:23 AM
I never leave home without The Bruno De Julio tip sheet. He has an excellent eye for talent. I feel his sheet has put me in position to take home 4 pick six's over the Pro-Ride and Cushion track in the last 22 months. Have any of the other members used his sheet and what sort of tip sheets or work reports do you take to the track.

Nothing, I can't see why anyone except a owner or trainer going to the track.

I would rather stay home, watch it on TV and do what I wanted to do in my living room.

The only down fall to that is, one can't see the horses walking in the paddock area or prep for the race on the track.

That's it

Vouchers anyone, one can have mine.

MONEY
03-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Now that they no longer allow smoking at Sam Houston, I love going to the track.

I take a couple of pens, cash, the parks reward card, my picks and most importantly, Charmin.

money

jimmy m
03-10-2010, 03:51 AM
IM old School for everything i still love my Coffee and Newspaper in the Morning.Same with the Races even though the Racing Form is 7 bucks now here At Prairie i still just Have my old Ball point Red and Black Pens and the Form once a year or twice i use the Equiform numbers from Cary Fotias.

letswastemoney
03-10-2010, 03:56 AM
how much did he pay you to write this? lol

CincyHorseplayer
03-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Racing Form,printed out pace numbers from Excel,blue,red,green pens,notebook,binoculars,cash.

I like to watch what I want,not what the TV wants!So I have to have my 10 x 50,Bushnell instafocuses.Am lost without a notebook.Map out my day before hand in it,write down winners position calls in case a bias develops,and keep track of payouts.Gotta have it.Calculator,obvious.The pens and highlighters??You'd be surprised how effective multicolors are for different designations,positive,negative,class,etc.And always a separate betting bank in one of those cool leatherbound,magnetic money clips.

Track Collector
03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Laptop (with associated racing files) and binoculars are an absolute must. Sometimes I bring a small folder with the printed version of the racing files if I plan to move around a lot and/or play a significant amount of simulcasts in addition to the live card.

toussaud
03-10-2010, 10:30 AM
My GF usually sneaks in a bottle of Alize

Bettowin
03-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I bring the form or Bris PP's, a red pen and my good friends. Without friends at the track it would be very boring and I would have to complain about bad beats to strangers who just don't feel the pain:)

With that said, we are heading to Hot Springs in about 3 hours for a weekend of fun at Oaklawn.

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2010, 10:45 AM
A paperclip so I can extract my logjammed ticket out of the self-service machine and avoid getting shut-out while waiting fifteen minutes for the only tote employee to come fix the machine for the sixty-eleventh time this week.

Bettowin
03-10-2010, 10:58 AM
A paperclip so I can extract my logjammed ticket out of the self-service machine and avoid getting shut-out while waiting fifteen minutes for the only tote employee to come fix the machine for the sixty-eleventh time this week.

LOL. Very true. I thought about having a tool belt with a big hammer hanging off the side:)

Igeteven
03-10-2010, 12:50 PM

What I bring is this, A Holy Bible , a Dart Board , and a Ouija Board, one needs this on a plastic track.

castaway01
03-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Were you at Philly Park in 1999?

tzipi
03-10-2010, 01:13 PM

:lol: So true.

FantasticDan
03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
A barf bag. I usually need it several times per day. :blush:

Cardus
03-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Now that they no longer allow smoking at Sam Houston, I love going to the track.

I take a couple of pens, cash, the parks reward card, my picks and most importantly, Charmin.

money

Sam Houston doesn't have toilet paper?

Cratos
03-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Just my mini Laptop and a bag of wooden nickels

The Paddock Room
03-10-2010, 03:36 PM

I've used Aaron Hesz's products in the past..he's had some real nice double digit winners in recent months.

twindouble
03-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Just my mini Laptop and a bag of wooden nickels

Hi Cratos, good to see your alive and kicking. Boredom set in so here I am again. How have you been?

tzipi
03-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Man I'm getting good laughs from some of these answers :D . Good stuff.

twindouble
03-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Back in the days, I would bring my racing form, a pen, a small note pad and my binoculars. The latter served to purposes, one watch the post parade and the race, the other was scanning the good looking ladies and yes I made some scores.

Mike_412
03-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I usually play from home, but the few times I go to the track I bring a foldable binder with Formulator pps printed out, another binder with TG printed out, black gel pen, yellow highlighter, and obviously money.

Most importantly, I bring my debit card for when the money runs out and one of those big a$$ things of Tums from Costco in case I get hungry/daring and decide to eat something. Broke and suffering from heartburn at the track is not the double I'm looking to hit.

Hanover1
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I try to show up with something that will hit the board, but have left with others wanting to hit ME with a board......

illinoisbred
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Earplugs

twindouble
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
I usually play from home, but the few times I go to the track I bring a foldable binder with Formulator pps printed out, another binder with TG printed out, black gel pen, yellow highlighter, and obviously money.

Most importantly, I bring my debit card for when the money runs out and one of those big a$$ things of Tums from Costco in case I get hungry/daring and decide to eat something. Broke and suffering from heartburn at the track is not the double I'm looking to hit.

I never and do mean never left the track broke, always kept a stash for emergencies, like maybe I had a woman to entertain or the car broke down. I wouldn't leave a track and go anywhere without using cash. I did use that stash once, was alive in the twindouble, there was only one other horse that was live so I had to bet it good, as a matter of fact a couple buddies of mine also chipped in, turned out I didn't need to do that. Either way I was going to be a winner. The horse I bet went of 7-2.

cj's dad
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
My GF usually sneaks in a bottle of Alize

Your grandfather still goes to the track ?? - God bless him !!!

BlueShoe
03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
You must be attending an otb facility or racetrack in California. In 2007, just before the BC, "new improved" models of the sams were installed. They have proven to be far more jam prone than the models they replaced. So much for progress. Wish I had ten bucks for every time one of these pieces of junk either swallowed my voucher or else jammned or failed to return my bet ticket. Have heard some tales about infuriated bettors smashing a machine out of frustration, and then getting detained by track security, photographed, barred, and required to pay the cost of replacement. I always carry an extra voucher for backup so that I can switch to another machine to at least get the bet in, and then jumping back to stand in front of the malfunctioning one, for who knows how long.

Robert Goren
03-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Earplugs Not a bad idea! I might start taking them too.

cwwash
03-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Bruno De Julio really has had a nice meet if you buy his report. He basically swept the card for BC Ladies Day . I made a bloody fortune that day.

tzipi
03-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Bruno De Julio really has had a nice meet if you buy his report. He basically swept the card for BC Ladies Day . I made a bloody fortune that day.

Is that guy paying you to mention his sheets :D . It's the second time you have mentioned him on this thread and his great sheets.

NJ Stinks
03-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Unlike Money (post #4), I don't go to a track or an OTB unless I can smoke when I get there. That means warm weather is mandatory for a track visit or an the OTB near Bethlehem once in a while that still has a smoking section. It's not like playing at home is a problem.

You don't have to care but I'm proof that the smoking bans hurt racetracks and OTB's.

tzipi
03-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Unlike Money (post #4), I don't go to a track or an OTB unless I can smoke when I get there. That means warm weather is mandatory for a track visit or an the OTB near Bethlehem once in a while that still has a smoking section. It's not like playing at home is a problem.

You don't have to care but I'm proof that the smoking bans hurt racetracks and OTB's.

Yeah I enjoy a cigarette here and there and Aqueduct is the worst for me in NY. Obviously just too darn cold to be outside enjoying one. BUT if you smoke weed,you are more than welcome to smoke and stink up the place :D

Stillriledup
03-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Swagger.

KidCapper
03-11-2010, 07:26 AM
A shoehorn to get track management's foot outta of my ass when I leave. :bang:

proximity
03-11-2010, 07:38 AM
two flair pens, pps, and a cover/summary sheet for each race..... but the most important thing is a CELL PHONE to call in any bets!!

johnhannibalsmith
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Okay, if you aren't necessarily a super-serious bettor and enjoy going to the track and having a little fun, I'll share one of the great ways to pass the time - especially if you have busted out and are feeling like torturing someone else to feel better.

If you bet at a facility that has individual tables with televisions at the tables - go to the WalMart or Radio Shack and get one of those universal remote controls. Don't let anyone know that you have it and then sit in close proximity to someone that is easy and fun to aggravate.

Diligently pretend to be watching your own television, but wait until the unsuspecting patron really starts leaning into the television in mid-stretch. About the time he snaps his fingers a few times, gives it a big old "yahhh... drive on this old horse Prado..." - at that moment - use your remote control to change the channel and watch this guy lose his mind.

Yes, I know it is cruel and I apologize to anyone that I may have done this to in the past, but sometimes you have to find entertainment where you can on a slow day.

tzipi
03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
A shoehorn to get track management's foot outta of my ass when I leave. :bang:

:lol:

BlueShoe
03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
If you bet at a facility that has individual tables with televisions at the tables - go to the WalMart or Radio Shack and get one of those universal remote controls. Don't let anyone know that you have it and then sit in close proximity to someone that is easy and fun to aggravate.

Diligently pretend to be watching your own television, but wait until the unsuspecting patron really starts leaning into the television in mid-stretch. About the time he snaps his fingers a few times, gives it a big old "yahhh... drive on this old horse Prado..." - at that moment - use your remote control to change the channel and watch this guy lose his mind.
This really works? Where I go they have the regular commercial stations available on the terminal feeds. Often will have some dolt watching I Love Lucy reruns or soap operas in between races with the volumn set to as loud as possible. Would be neat to be able to toss a countermeasure.

therussmeister
03-11-2010, 08:48 PM

I actually do bring a remote. It is an awkward reach to change the channels on the individual TVs, plus there is no quick way to go from say, channel 2 to channel 17, you have to press the button 15 times and wait about 1/2 second between each push. Plus this is all done blind, from where I sit I can't actually see the buttons.

johnhannibalsmith
03-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I actually do bring a remote. It is an awkward reach to change the channels on the individual TVs, plus there is no quick way to go from say, channel 2 to channel 17, you have to press the button 15 times and wait about 1/2 second between each push. Plus this is all done blind, from where I sit I can't actually see the buttons.

This is exactly how I began to see the benefit of bringing a remote control. It was purely accidental that I discovered all of the additional perks. :)

alhattab
03-11-2010, 09:12 PM

I bring a little backpack with me every time I go for live racing at Mth (for simies I go with less equipment). Backpack includes binocs, a remote control, a beer cozy, that day's Form, some writing implements and if a big day a little lagniappe (Bourbon). Maybe a sandwich from Delfini's. Also, of course, a cooler (size depends on the day) and my chair complete with ottoman (it all fits in a bag like a rubber). Remote comes in handy to change channels on TV near the paddock "hut" and to raise the volume to hear Durkin at NYRA or Denman in CA. Cooler requires no further mention. A lot to bring but this is the pure joy of a day at Mth. All of this shit stays in one place all summer, and is turned in for hibernation at the end of the meet.

JustRalph
03-13-2010, 12:14 AM
billw

bisket
03-13-2010, 07:15 AM
the form, common sense and belief in my decision making.

alhattab
03-13-2010, 07:22 AM

Bruno's sheet led me to the Pick 4 on BC Friday. Buying that is the only edge I feel I can get in CA.

Overlay
03-13-2010, 07:38 AM
(1) the Form;
(2) my self-generated fair-odds lines, broken out by handicapping factor to facilitate adjustments in the case of scratches and other late program changes, and also to aid in analyzing why any discrepancies with actual odds are occurring;
(3) a calculator (for optimum wager-size determination);
(4) a few blank sheets from a tablet of writing paper to make notes on; and
(5) writing implements