PDA

View Full Version : Bill seeks to divert slot funds to school building

takeout
03-09-2010, 06:43 PM
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20100309/OPI01/3090345

[snip]
"I don't have any ill will toward horse racing, but I don't feel that we should be giving a handout to the horses when most other groups are scouring in the weeds for pennies," Simmons said, calling the purse dedication account "a public subsidy of a moribund business."
[snip]

Comment: And Maryland doesn’t even have slots anywhere yet.

Meanwhile, over in WV, at CT, they are announcing an upcoming million-dollar race. I heard that announcement last Sunday shortly after noticing a win pool of just $7,700.

One has to wonder how much longer the slot party will last. In Maryland’s case they may never even have one.

therussmeister
03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
They should put slots in the schools. :lol:

Relwob Owner
03-09-2010, 09:05 PM

[snip]
"I don't have any ill will toward horse racing, but I don't feel that we should be giving a handout to the horses when most other groups are scouring in the weeds for pennies," Simmons said, calling the purse dedication account "a public subsidy of a moribund business."
[snip]

Meanwhile, over in WV, at CT, they are announcing an upcoming million-dollar race. I heard that announcement last Sunday shortly after noticing a win pool of just $7,700.

One has to wonder how much longer the slot party will last. In Maryland’s case they may never even have one.

Nothing better than having a one million dollar race and then having cards with 6 or 7 5K claimers........even when they get the funds, you have to question the distribution of it....

proximity
03-09-2010, 09:07 PM

i was down there on sunday and saw track collector who also pointed out that shallow pool. he said they must not be sending out the signal to too many places. personally i think they should have a later post time. maybe 4 o'clock or so?

Track Collector
03-09-2010, 10:00 PM
i was down there on sunday and saw track collector who also pointed out that shallow pool. he said they must not be sending out the signal to too many places. personally i think they should have a later post time. maybe 4 o'clock or so?

Proximity, I hope you ended up the day on the positive side. :)

Simulcast venues which do carry Charles Town, and there are surprisingly quite a few, essentially only do so on Fridays/Saturdays. Also, some states, like AZ, only show a set number of races and not the entire card.

Regarding Takeout's posting on Maryland racing, the whole slots process seems to have been mis-managed from the beginning and continues to drag on and on. I get the impression that fewer and fewer local leaders view racing (and the associated agricultural aspects) as a worthwhile and important industry to the Maryland economy.

Relwob Owner
03-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Proximity, I hope you ended up the day on the positive side. :)

Simulcast venues which do carry Charles Town, and there are surprisingly quite a few, essentially only do so on Fridays/Saturdays. Also, some states, like AZ, only show a set number of races and not the entire card.

Regarding Takeout's posting on Maryland racing, the whole slots process seems to have been mis-managed from the beginning and continues to drag on and on. I get the impression that fewer and fewer local leaders view racing (and the associated agricultural aspects) as a worthwhile and important industry to the Maryland economy.

Question guys....for a bit, TVG would show CT races but for whatever reason, you cant bet on CT on TVG....do you know why?

RXB
03-09-2010, 10:42 PM
[snip]
[snip]

I'd say Mr. Simmons has grasped and articulated the issue quite nicely; good for him.

And congrats to you for pointing out the lunacy of Charles Town being able to fund a $1 million purse despite minimal handle.

takeout
03-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Nothing better than having a one million dollar race and then having cards with 6 or 7 5K claimers........even when they get the funds, you have to question the distribution of it....And the topper is I believe not too long ago they cut purses. :faint: :confused:

Igeteven
03-10-2010, 01:53 AM

[snip]
[snip]

What was the other pools, check it out and post it.

takeout
03-10-2010, 03:01 AM
They got higher but Sunday’s pools are almost always lean there. I did notice the win pool on the last race and it was even less, $7,178. The largest win pools of the day were probably around twice that. Their total on-track wagering listed in the charts is $82,046.
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant_pdf.cgi?type=inc&country=USA&track=CT&date=2010-03-07&race=0

A million-dollar race at CT strikes me as somehow being akin to a Wall Street bonus. It’s obscene.

Track Collector
03-10-2010, 10:36 AM
What was the other pools, check it out and post it.

From the charts, here are the total Win/Place/Show and estimated Win Pools for the other races:
Race 1 --> Total = 12233 , Win = 7951
Race 2 --> Total = 14197 , Win = 9228
Race 3 --> Total = 17522 , Win = 11389
Race 4 --> Total = 16328 , Win = 10613
Race 5 --> Total = 17475 , Win = 11359
Race 6 --> Total = 12709 , Win = 8261
Race 7 --> Total = 20350 , Win = 13228
Race 8 --> Total = 13846 , Win = 9000

The charts only give total WPS pools, so the individual pools can be estimated by multiplying the total pool by 65% for Win, 25% for Place, and 10% for Show.