PDA

View Full Version : Why Not A Meadowlands Thoroughbred Turf Meet?

Stevie Belmont
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
The end of thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands has come—for the time being anyway. The powers that be have decided that converting the Meadowlands harness track to a thoroughbred track is not worth the time, energy, and most importantly the money.

In recent years it has been no secret that the Meadowlands was in jeopardy of discontinuing the thoroughbred racing meet due to cost and other reasons. It seemed every year there was a rumor in the air that this would be the last year of thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands.

The bottom line is this—it just does not make sense to convert the track for thoroughbred racing from harness racing. Instead New Jersey will have a shortened meet at Monmouth Park starting May 22, and will run through September 11, with $50 million in purse money spread over the 50-day meet. The planned days of racing will be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I love Monmouth Park, and I think the potential of success is there for sure. I have always considered Monmouth Park my other home track.

Does thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands really have to come to a complete end? I say the answer is no. The Meadowlands still has a fine turf course that will go completely unused.

I propose the state of New Jersey run a shortened Meadowlands turf thoroughbred meet after the Monmouth Park meet ends. Now this may not at all be possible this year, considering the racing dates have already been decided, but down the road this could be a feasible idea.

There are more pros, than cons with a Meadowlands Turf meet. By the time September comes around , the Monmouth Park turf course will have taken some good wear and tear. The Meadowlands turf course will have been untouched for the entire year. And aside from normal maintenance of the turf course, no conversion will be necessary, thus saving money. It’s there and it’s ready to be used.

By having a Meadowlands turf meet they can also save some of the fall staple stakes races such as the Cliffhanger (GIII) and the Violet Stakes (GIII), which always draw large fields. The tradition of the Grey Ghost handicap on or around Halloween can also live on. Turf racing always draws large fields and shippers from the New York and the Mid-Atlantic States. Full fields will almost be assured.

How long would a Meadowlands Turf meet last, and when would it start? I think an ideal time for a Meadowlands turf meet would be Labor Day through the end of the month, or sometime in October. These are questions that would have to be worked out, but I think it’s something that should at the very least be explored. I for one love turf racing and everything about it. Other possible issues would be rain—how to handle weather situations is something that would have to be looked into.

A short turf meet would be nice—running Friday and Saturday under the lights. By having a turf meet they could also find a way to save the Meadowlands biggest races—the Meadowlands Cup and/or the Pegasus—however, they would now become turf events.

The entire concept is quality over quantity. If New Jersey takes a look at this they could very well find a new niche at the Meadowlands for thoroughbreds—a short, but high quality turf meet in the fall—or late summer that will attract many horsemen. A smart marketing campaign to promote this shorter but higher quality turf meet would also have to be explored.

Hopefully the new Monmouth Park meet with boosted purses and fewer dates will be a big success and New Jersey will have a premiere racing venue in the summer—making Monmouth Park thee place to be this spring and summer. I think it has every opportunity to become a success especially with the issues currently facing the NYRA. The time is right.

I also think a short turf meet at the Meadowlands could be a success. It would be a shame to waste a perfectly fine turf course.

Robert Goren
03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Horse racing anywhere in New Jersey is on life support. It is only a matter of time before they pull the plug on this drain on the state's budget. JMO

Hanover1
03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Horse racing anywhere in New Jersey is on life support. It is only a matter of time before they pull the plug on this drain on the state's budget. JMO
Thats how its shaping up......

onefast99
03-09-2010, 08:44 PM
While the new turf course was being laid down at MP several years ago they did turf racing at The Meadowlands. I agree with you it is a great course and should be utilized but the costs to van the horses in from MP is probably the deal breaker with that idea.

Zaf
03-09-2010, 09:25 PM
The turf course in Atlantic City is freakin awesome. Why not a 3 week boutique meet at AC ? IMHO that would be great :jump:

Z

Tread
03-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Interesting that you would refer to a state that is going to offer $1m a day in purses this summer with regular races like 80k maiden special weight and 1st level allowance races as "on life support".

The Hawk
03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
The turf course in Atlantic City is freakin awesome. Why not a 3 week boutique meet at AC ? IMHO that would be great :jump:

Z

On the surface it sounds great to me too but that place is in real disrepair, even if the turf course itself is in good shape. They don't even have a tote board.

My concern with Stevie's idea is that the cost of maintaining the Big M course would be the dealbreaker, not necessarily the shipping part. They're looking to cut costs, and I don't know if they want to take ANYTHING else on, though it would be great if they could utilize it somehow. Also, if you card a weekend full of only turf races, and it rains, then what do you do?

Cubbymac26
03-09-2010, 11:54 PM

Z

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....this has been going on for the last 10 years maybe not 3 weeks but 2 weeks of 3 dates

i remember like 5 years ago i summer they ran 2 turf races prior to the harness card the the m it was awesome to say the least

Robert Goren
03-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Interesting that you would refer to a state that is going to offer $1m a day in purses this summer with regular races like 80k maiden special weight and 1st level allowance races as "on life support". This a classic case of trying to solve the problem by throwing large amounts of taxpayer money at it. Sometimes it works, I doubt that this one of those times. There is no way they are going to get the kind of handle needed to pay out a million dollars a day in purses. I give it two years at most before the taxpayers revolt at subsidizing gambling.JMO

Zaf
03-10-2010, 07:00 AM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....this has been going on for the last 10 years maybe not 3 weeks but 2 weeks of 3 dates

i remember like 5 years ago i summer they ran 2 turf races prior to the harness card the the m it was awesome to say the least

I'm talking more like 15 days , maybe with a million dollars a day in purses to attract really good horses.

Z

lamboguy
03-10-2010, 08:16 AM
i think this sounds like a great idea. people love betting on turf and would be great for the horse race industry as a whole. they had a similar meet at rockingham park a few years ago and they had full fields every race and did some type of a handle.