PDA

View Full Version : They never heard of a Molotov Cocktail

JustRalph
03-09-2010, 12:03 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35767727/ns/us_news-life/

Detroit wants to save itself by shrinking
Blighted city considers plan to turn large swaths of land back into fields

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/100308-detroit-hmed-1250p.hmedium.jpg

DETROIT - Detroit, the very symbol of American industrial might for most of the 20th century, is drawing up a radical renewal plan that calls for turning large swaths of this now-blighted, rusted-out city back into the fields and farmland that existed before the automobile.

Operating on a scale never before attempted in this country, the city would demolish houses in some of the most desolate sections of Detroit and move residents into stronger neighborhoods. Roughly a quarter of the 139-square-mile city could go from urban to semi-rural.

Near downtown, fruit trees and vegetable farms would replace neighborhoods that are an eerie landscape of empty buildings and vacant lots. Suburban commuters heading into the city center might pass through what looks like the countryside to get there. Surviving neighborhoods in the birthplace of the auto industry would become pockets in expanses of green.

more at the link

johnhannibalsmith
03-09-2010, 12:19 AM
I hope it works... that's progress I can support.

riskman
03-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Well, if Honda goes the way of Toyota those fruit farms will be worth a lot of money.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Been quite a bit of redevelopment in Chicao and surrounding towns by getting rid of the old buildings, clearing the vacant lots and eventually getting new developments to replace them - usually stores and new construtcion housing developments. Not sure how the funding of the property clearings were done, and some took many years to get develop, but in many cases, the improvements definitely helped those areas. Of course, the economy was different when this was done, maybe the clearing needs to happen and the new developments will happen later. Yes, if it gets flattened and fenced off for a while, at least the lots won't be a haven for hidden drug deals and criminals to attack victims from. I do hope something works for Detroit.

Show Me the Wire
03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Leagalized Cannabis farming would be more productive. There would be no worker shortage for the employment opportunities, especially quality control workers. It would fuel employment and commerce.

Show Me the Wire
03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Been quite a bit of redevelopment in Chicao and surrounding towns by getting rid of the old buildings, clearing the vacant lots and eventually getting new developments to replace them - usually stores and new construtcion housing developments. Not sure how the funding of the property clearings were done, and some took many years to get develop, but in many cases, the improvements definitely helped those areas. Of course, the economy was different when this was done, maybe the clearing needs to happen and the new developments will happen later. Yes, if it gets flattened and fenced off for a while, at least the lots won't be a haven for hidden drug deals and criminals to attack victims from. I do hope something works for Detroit.

How do you think Cicero will redevelop Hawthorne after it closes?

Steve 'StatMan'
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Lots of much better stuff so far in Cicero, esp. between Cermak (22nd) and 31st. Is area near Midway part of Chicago or Stickney? They've done well too rehabbing and resurecting that area of Cicero Ave, lots of good hotels and restuarants. Cicero and the old Sportsmans lot has had a lot of plans but nothing yet, but lot is completely leveled. Hawthorne property next door, but in Stickney, not sure. Would like Hawthorne to survive, but without slots, the unreleased slots-fund money, or a miracle revival, the writing is on the wall. Heard both track properties were being eyed for venues/development regarding the failed Olympic bid. Really don't know how it will work out. With Waste Management transfer station across the back stretch, that should affect the attactiveness of both track properties unless that gets bought up too. Nickel Plant and Oil Storage/Refinery also right there. Not sure if would be best for industrial, commercial, I really don't know. I was just through north of there for first time in almost 2 years, all the old cheap and/or hooker hotels, the abandond bowling alley, the old buildings, some of the old houses are gone. Many of the lots replaced with strip malls and chain-restaurants/food shops, etc. I knew about the big plaza with Target and many stores & restaurants. It is all so much better than before. I haven't been on 26th between Central and Laramie lately, but remember the old bowling alley there and many of the unused crummy buildings were being torn down, hopefully new & better things have or will replace that.

Downtown, near Printers Row & South State Street near Roosevelt Rd, lots of new buildings replacing the old, many very upscale housing towers are there, with upscale shops, restaurants, parking garages, nearby to meet the resident's needs. Lots of new & beautiful things, where before I wasn't too keen on walking past or staying around too long, all within a few blocks of public transit. Very good for the region.