PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Del Mar for opening day

Force of One
03-08-2010, 08:39 PM
My brother and I are in the process of planning a trip to Del Mar for the opening few days and was looking for some general suggestions. I have been there once but not opening day, which I have heard is quite a different animal. I would suspect it would be comparable to going to Churchill on a regular Saturday vs. going KY Derby Day, correct? How difficult is it to get seats and are the prices high?

Also was looking for good value (i.e. cheap but not total dump) hotels to stay at in the area. Not real familiar with the location, but obviously hoping to be as close as possible without breaking the bank.

Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Cardus
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Is this for opening day 2010 or 2011?

Stillriledup
03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Is this for opening day 2010 or 2011?

Why would it be for 2011?

Dan H
03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
How difficult is it to get seats and are the prices high?
Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!Got this from DMTC.com
Del Mar Online Ticket Office
The Ticket Office is currently closed. The Ticket Office will open May 14, 2010 for the sale of reserved seats, trackside dining tables and admissions for the 2010 race meet.

Tread
03-08-2010, 10:25 PM
In terms of how crowded it will be, yes it will seem like it is as crowded as it is on Derby day. But it is a much more sophiticated crowd, yet still somewhat young. They still party and have lots of fun but you will see more dresses and jackets as opposed to the 50k people running around drunk in tank tops on Derby Day.

Although I have not done major days at many other tracks I can easily say that Del Mar opening day is the most enjoyable thing I've ever done in racing. A busy Keeneland Saturday is the only thing that even comes close to comparing, but I would turn down most reserved seats at the KY Derby (maybe with the exception of millionaires row) for seats in the Del Mar clubhouse on opening day everytime.

cccorona
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I have attended opening day at Del Mar for the past 35 +/- years. My best advise is to go to the DMTC ticket website, as suggested by an earlier post, and pick up tickets in the general grandstand area, level 4 / front row. I have been ordering these tickets for the past 5 years and they are fantastic because you are above all the crowd and chaos and have a panaramic view of the track and surrounding area. The people (mostly amatures on opening day) don't make it up to the 4th level until late in the race card so you can get your bets down and order food and drink in small lines.
Places to stay can become difficult for the opening week of racing but one of my favorite hotels is the Del Mar Beach Motel. It was built in the 1930's and is right on the beach and you can walk to the track which is a great idea because parking is a pain on opening day.
The other place we like to stay is the Del Mar Inn. Rates are more affordable but is located futher away from all the "action" that the town of Del Mar offers.
You will have a great time and the weather is almost always sunny in the mid 70's. You will be blown away by how much the crowd and atmosphere changes when you attend the races the following day.
CC

46zilzal
03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
A nice place and you will enjoy the experience.

statepierback
03-10-2010, 10:50 AM
I lived in San Diego several Years ago. Its like a national holiday for that area on Opening Day. Best advice - Leave early in the morning for the track. Delays of up to three hours have occurred in the past due to the traffic getting into the racetrack.
Its a good time. You will enjoy the experience.

andymays
03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Read post 17 in this thread.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=850520#post850520