PDA

View Full Version : Rachel faces full field on Saturday...haha!!

joanied
03-08-2010, 04:46 PM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/March/08/Rachel-Alexandra-to-face-four-opponents-in-New-Orleans-Ladies.aspx

Should provide her with her best 'work' to date:jump:

born2ride
03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/March/08/Rachel-Alexandra-to-face-four-opponents-in-New-Orleans-Ladies.aspx

Not sure if you've seen this already joanied, a few days back the Fair Grounds posted a video of her work on 2/24...
http://www.fairgroundsracecourse.com/video

Dominic has a heck of a lot of horse under him!

tzipi
03-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Todays NY Daily News:
Asmussen: "I'm very concerned about her fitness level. Her gallops have been very strong. She's not 100% fit for this and we're aware of this"

I'm not too worried. It's not much of a field. It's just a light race tightner trainers use for top horses to get their legs back. Don't think she needs to be 100% running wise here.

The Paddock Room
03-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Why do we even have Handicap races in the United States any more?

RA at 123..are you kidding?

Uh..I thought the idea behind handicap races was to make it so each contestant has an even chance of winning?

The 4 glorifed allowance runners RA is facing should be given 12-15 pounds, if not more, from the 2009 Horse of the Year Proxy Champ..

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hanover1
03-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Todays NY Daily News:
Asmussen: "I'm very concerned about her fitness level. Her gallops have been very strong. She's not 100% fit for this and we're aware of this"

I'm not too worried. It's not much of a field. It's just a light race tightner trainers use for top horses to get their legs back. Don't think she needs to be 100% running wise here.
A case of CYA if she loses perhaps? A poster mentioned earlier that if she loses anytime this year, this race would be a good time to look for a price against, and it warrants a look? From a training perspective, I would be more concerned with her the few days after this race rather than its outcome. Want her at her best next out, not this one.......Many believe that even at 80% fitness level, she should prevail, and perhaps they are right. I still would shop around for above reasons.....

born2ride
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Why do we even have Handicap races in the United States any more?

RA at 123..are you kidding?

Uh..I thought the idea behind handicap races was to make it so each contestant has an even chance of winning?

The 4 glorifed allowance runners RA is facing should be given 12-15 pounds, if not more, from the 2009 Horse of the Year Proxy Champ..

:eek: :eek: :eek:
The New Orleans Ladies is NOT a handicap. Here are the race conditions:

Weight : 123 Lbs. Non-winners of a Grade I stakes at a mile or over since August 13th, 2009 allowed 2 lbs, of a Grade I or II stakes at a mile or over since June 13th, 2009 allowed 4 lbs, $50,000 twice at a mile or over since April 13th, 2009 allowed 6 Lbs

On the other hand, the Santa Margarita IS a handicap, and the 127lb Zen will carry is a joke. She started last year carrying 126lb, wins 5 in a row extending her unbeaten streak to 14 and they only add 1 additional lb to her first start back this year compared to last year.

Robert Goren
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Todays NY Daily News:
Asmussen: "I'm very concerned about her fitness level. Her gallops have been very strong. She's not 100% fit for this and we're aware of this" Give me a break. Don't start making excuses until you know whether or not that you are going to need them.

joanied
03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Not sure if you've seen this already joanied, a few days back the Fair Grounds posted a video of her work on 2/24...
http://www.fairgroundsracecourse.com/video

Dominic has a heck of a lot of horse under him!

Yes, I did see that...and yes, he did have a lot of horse...thanks for posting the link.

I can't wait :jump: until Saturday...just in case those of us that will be watching on TV... HRTV will air both races in a live 1 hour telecast. Check your local listings for time.

tzipi
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Give me a break. Don't start making excuses until you know whether or not that you are going to need them.

I just think it's a routine statement by trainers when a top horse goes into a light tightner race off a long layoff.
I remember Shug McGaughey used to always say this same statement about his top charges when they came off a long layoff.

Stillriledup
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Hopefully FG has show betting. I could use the 5% return on my money.

joanied
03-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Hopefully FG has show betting. I could use the 5% return on my money.

Did you read the story...here is some of it...
Zardana (Brz) and Unforgotten have the top credentials among Rachel Alexandra’s four opponents.

Zardana won the Bayakoa Handicap (G2) on December 5 at Hollywood Park for owner Arnold Zetcher (video (javascript:flash_pop('vp=Web&vc=1&vid1=mp4%3a2009%2f771%2f200912051902HOD8_771.f4v') ;)). She shares the same trainer, John Shirreffs, as Zenyatta, who also will return on Saturday in the Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (G1) at Santa Anita Park as a prep for a scheduled showdown with Rachel Alexandra in the $5-million Apple Blossom Invitational Stakes (G1) on April 9 at Oaklawn Park.

In her most recent start, Zardana finished fourth in the Santa Maria Handicap (G2) on February 13 at Santa Anita. She has not raced on a conventional dirt track since she departed Brazil after winning all three of her starts there by a combined 39 lengths.

Unforgotten is a multiple stakes winner, and she has earned $548,563 for owner Robert Adams. She finished seventh in the Sunshine Millions Distaff Stakes on January 30 at Gulfstream Park after finishing second to Rachel Alexandra’s stablemate, War Echo, in the Daily Racing Form Distaff Stakes on December 19 at Fair Grounds (video (javascript:flash_pop('vp=Web&vc=1&vid1=mp4%3a2009%2f771%2f200912191651JGD9_771.f4v') ;)).

Clear Sailing and Fighter Wing, the top two finishers in the Pelleteri Stakes on February 13 at Fair Grounds (video (javascript:flash_pop('vp=Web&vc=1&vid1=mp4%3a2010%2f771%2f201002131738JGD9_771.f4v') ;)), round out the field. Clear Sailing has pieced together three straight wins at Fair Grounds this winter after being sidelined for more than 1 1/2 years following her June 2008 debut.

Fighter Wing finished second by a neck in the Pelleteri and fourth in the Daily Racing Form Distaf

At least these are a step above allowance company...if Rachel really isn't 100%...these 4 should at least give her a good race...I think we know they won't make RA work unless she has to...and that, I doubt will happen.
:)

born2ride
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Here's Rachel's work from this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZ_y8yYAF8

Stillriledup
03-08-2010, 08:35 PM

Awesome.

joanied
03-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the link:ThmbUp: All that head movment she does just bugs me...I don't know why. I know they changed her bit, they say it's relaxing her...so she is either too eager or she doesn't like the change...IMHO. At this point, IMO, they need to allow her a really good 1/8th blowout.

the Bid
03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I watched RA train last summer and she does the head shaking when she's about to be set loose. I think it's just her way of expressing that she's ready to go. Like other "light on their feet" horses, she doesn't seem to like having her mouth handled via the bit. It doesn't look like the actions of an uncomfortable horse, just one that prefers something else.
I was a bit concerned about her constant changes of lead while still with the pony in her previous work. She kept swapping behind and then swapped again in the lane during the work. Dominic did say that she feels terrific though, just like her usual self.

Tom
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
1213......can you spell "mollycoddling?"

tzipi
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
What about Forego after killing top competition race after race would come back after long layoffs into Allowance races under 122 lbs. Man, imagine what they'd say today :D
One of many who did that.

toetoe
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Well said, joanied. :jump: .

BluegrassProf
03-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Bid - agreed. Her mannerisms are just that: her mannerisms. And recognizing that they're indicative of her attitude and condition, good signs indeed.

At this point, IMO, they need to allow her a really good 1/8th blowout.No, they don't - you don't blow out a week before a race.

Workouts are about rationed conditioning, not letting loose and showing off. I'd rather see it pent-up than let out. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
she sure seems to get over the ground easy..........light on her feet is a good term for her.........

Kimsus
03-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Todays NY Daily News:

Tzipi, where you been my horsy friend? As for the quote of Assmen, that is precisely why they call it a prep and secondly why the AB was moved back a week, so she can be fit then. Ho hum...yawn

Stillriledup
03-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Taking Steve's quotes into context.

Lets say he says "she's 100 percent fit, dead bang fit and ready to rock" and then she got beat. how would that look?

But, if you say "she's not ready" and she wins easily, people are going to think "geez, she's so great she won despite not being 100 percent ready"

Believe you me, she's 100 percent ready and she's as fit as she can be. They wouldnt run her if she wasn't ready to race hard and win. Asmussen had a horse who ran at the Fair Grounds the other day off a 2008 layoff and the horse aired and won by 100 lengths while never in doubt.

Kimsus
03-09-2010, 09:17 AM
I fully expect the Rachel gang to be in full giddy mood after Saturday's race and that she will probably stamp herself as the favorite in the Apple Blossom, she usually wins more impressively than Zenyatta and that will resonate more to the average bettor/fan.

Lasix67
03-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I'll be there to see her greatness!

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I fully expect the Rachel gang to be in full giddy mood after Saturday's race Nahhh...we're going to save that up for when it really counts...

Phantombridgejumpe
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
lined up (if they have show betting).

Kimsus
03-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Nahhh...we're going to save that up for when it really counts...

I have plans sat night, however I almost want to change them just so I can be here as the sole voice of reason for not getting too carried away by a prep over 4 overly matched foes.

tzipi
03-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I have plans sat night, however I almost want to change them just so I can be here as the sole voice of reason for not getting too carried away by a prep over 4 overly matched foes.

What's up Kimsus. I won't be too excited over the prep. She should walk home even if not at 100%. But I will be glued and jumping with excitement during the AB. Should be an exciting race and day no matter who wins. Well that means RA or Zen and not a freak longshot :D

Show Me the Wire
03-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Did you read the story...here is some of it...
Zardana (Brz) and Unforgotten have the top credentials among Rachel Alexandra’s four opponents.

Zardana won the Bayakoa Handicap (G2) on December 5 at Hollywood Park for owner Arnold Zetcher (video (javascript:flash_pop('vp=Web&vc=1&vid1=mp4%3a2009%2f771%2f200912051902HOD8_771.f4v') ;)). She shares the same trainer, John Shirreffs, as Zenyatta, who also will return on Saturday in the Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (G1) at Santa Anita Park as a prep for a scheduled showdown with Rachel Alexandra in the $5-million Apple Blossom Invitational Stakes (G1) on April 9 at Oaklawn Park.

In her most recent start, Zardana finished fourth in the Santa Maria Handicap (G2) on February 13 at Santa Anita. She has not raced on a conventional dirt track since she departed Brazil after winning all three of her starts there by a combined 39 lengths.
.................................................. ................................................

At least these are a step above allowance company...if Rachel really isn't 100%...these 4 should at least give her a good race...I think we know they won't make RA work unless she has to...and that, I doubt will happen.
:)

Limiting my discussion to Zardana, her Dec. 5 win was not a great performance against an allowance quality field. She lost her next out, just like many others coming out of that race.

The winner's and the other horses subsequent perfromances show the race to be on the weak side of the spectrum.

Zardana needs to show massive improvement on the dirt to beat R.A. or R.A. has to run a real clunker.

cpitt84
03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know what station these races will be on? I would like to see zenyatta and rachel race but its probably not on ESPN.

Zenyatta To Crush
03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know what station these races will be on? I would like to see zenyatta and rachel race but its probably not on ESPN.
I think its only going to be shown on the horse racing networks. Unless you have a wagering account like twinspires or xpressbet, you will have to go on calracing.com, create a free account, and watch live coverage of Santa Anita. You can also go on fgno.com about 30 minutes after RA's race and watch that one on replay as well if you have a free account.

It sucks that ESPN cannot show these races but college basketball will be getting most of the attention now until march madness is over.

letswastemoney
03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Limiting my discussion to Zardana, her Dec. 5 win was not a great performance against an allowance quality field. She lost her next out, just like many others coming out of that race.

The winner's and the other horses subsequent perfromances show the race to be on the weak side of the spectrum.

Zardana needs to show massive improvement on the dirt to beat R.A. or R.A. has to run a real clunker.Synthetic races don't count for much when handicapping a dirt race.

cpitt84
03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I think its only going to be shown on the horse racing networks. Unless you have a wagering account like twinspires or xpressbet, you will have to go on calracing.com, create a free account, and watch live coverage of Santa Anita. You can also go on fgno.com about 30 minutes after RA's race and watch that one on replay as well if you have a free account.

It sucks that ESPN cannot show these races but college basketball will be getting most of the attention now until march madness is over.

yeah it does stink. Thanks for the advice, though

joanied
03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Bid - agreed. Her mannerisms are just that: her mannerisms. And recognizing that they're indicative of her attitude and condition, good signs indeed.

No, they don't - you don't blow out a week before a race.

Workouts are about rationed conditioning, not letting loose and showing off. I'd rather see it pent-up than let out. :ThmbUp:

Bid...liked your reply...if Dominic is happy with her...that's all we need to know, eh!! Horses do have their little 'ways' about them, and guess this is Rachel's.
I would still like to see Calvin gallop her just once before Saturday...maybe they need to get re aquainted...it has been a while:)

Bluegrass...Trainers used to do it all the time...of course, it's something you need to base on each individual horse...but, IMO, it's a good thing in most cases. I had mentioned it after her 2nd work...but I do agree, it's too late now.
Sometimes having too much 'pent up' energy can backfire...but hey, I won't second guess what they are doing with her.

joanied
03-09-2010, 07:11 PM

I posted this already...but, I hope you have HRTV...HRTV will air a one hour show with both Rachel and Zenyatta's preps. Check the local listings for your time zone.

Do you get the Paulick Report? He has "Where to Watch" every week...lists all the big races and where they will be televised.
:) :) :)