PDA

View Full Version : Performance Index

Dozier
07-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Has anyone used the service Performance Index? Put out by Walter Toner , wonder if he"s any kin to the trainer Jim Toner who runs horses on the east coast mainly New York? Thanks to all who reply.

GameTheory
07-07-2003, 01:21 PM
I used their numbers for a while in the mid-90's. They shut down for a year or two and appear to be back. Haven't looked into it since then. At the time their data tended to be somewhat sloppy -- I found lots of errors.

But I was able to predict form cycles very well and did pretty good using them. My level of knowledge and experience has increased tenfold since then, so I'm not sure what I'd think of them today. Their numbers may not be anything special -- their description of their product is heavy on the BS. When I asked them about their errors (way back when), I got some pretty lame excuses. Their website is a mess, and always has been.

If they can't keep their data relatively clean, and they can't present themselves in an organized fashion, how sophisticated do you really think their "advanced artificial intelligence techniques" really are? Try the free sample, and tread lightly...

midnight
07-07-2003, 07:35 PM
I subscribed for two months. Their ratings either zero in on chalk or pick longshots that finish up the track. I wasn't impressed, but I can understand how some people might be able to find some use for them. It seems as though they're on the lines of Jim Kitt's Tracstar or Thoroughgraph or Ragozin, in that you have to become a devotee of the data and believe completely in it to make it work.