PDA

View Full Version : Jacinto @ Fair Grounds

gm10
03-08-2010, 09:23 AM
He won two turf races on Saturday by taking his horses 5-6-7 wide.

Here are some stills.

http://www.equidaily.com/images/2010/jacinto.jpg

Clever man

therussmeister
03-08-2010, 10:16 AM
I always thought the extra emphasis many put on saving ground on the turf compared to dirt is wrong.

I'm not a mathematical genius, but it seems to me that a horse losses more ground going four-wide on the dirt than going four-wide on the turf, plus turf races tend to be more congested causing horses trying to go inside to run into traffic problems more often.

This of course, is for turf courses that are inside the dirt course.

PhantomOnTour
03-08-2010, 10:23 AM
They moved the rail back in after Friday's races and Jacinto just stayed in the old 'one path'. Joyeux Danseur used to win at FG by running five wide on the lead the whole way...maybe thats the spot on that course.

SmartyLane
03-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I was watching that race in the picture and just kept waiting for that horse to tire coming into the stretch.....never happened. Very cool race to watch

razzle
03-08-2010, 12:12 PM
He won two turf races on Saturday by taking his horses 5-6-7 wide.

Here are some stills.

http://www.equidaily.com/images/2010/jacinto.jpg

Clever man
gm10, thank you for posting. Interesting stuff. I enjoyed the comments following, too. It seems to suggest that we either overrate the value of the trip, or underrate the value of the surface variant.

Dahoss9698
03-08-2010, 12:28 PM
It's actually kind of refreshing to see a jockey realize a certain part of the course is the place to be and then ride that way. Anyone watching Gulfstream recently should be able to see a certain part of that course is playing very well. A few jocks have realized this (John Velazquez, Desormeaux, Rajiv Maragh), but many have not.

sandpit
03-08-2010, 05:20 PM
They moved the rail back in after Friday's races and Jacinto just stayed in the old 'one path'. Joyeux Danseur used to win at FG by running five wide on the lead the whole way...maybe thats the spot on that course.

You may be right about FG, but Joyeux Danseur did that everywhere, like in the Early Times (now Woodford Reserve) at Churchill Downs.

saratoga guy
03-09-2010, 02:03 AM
The funniest thing might be the middle shot on top and bottom. Top shot is the 3rd race and Jacinto is all alone on the outside. Bottom is the 10th race and virtually everyone is at least 4-wide!