PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Oscar (which I can't watch by the way)...

PaceAdvantage
03-07-2010, 07:50 PM
...because ABC is having a dispute with Cablevision and has taken their channel OFF the cable system...lol...I wasn't going to watch the Oscar's anyway...

Anyway, to honor Oscar in any event, here is one of my favorite scenes ever (R-rated language warning):

TROhlThs9qY

PhantomOnTour
03-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Coffee is for closers.

ArlJim78
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I love that scene, great movie too and great cast.

OTM Al
03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Looks like someone folded as they are on right now

bigmack
03-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Walt Disney Co. and Cablevision Systems Corp. settled their dispute over a new contract, a breakthrough that allowed viewers in 3.1 million homes in the New York area to watch the Academy Awards -- starting 13 minutes into the telecast.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-ct-abc8-2010mar08,0,3602008.story

I'd like to see one of these disputes actually go the distance.

13 minutes into the telecast :D Right up to last minute huh?

Great meals fade in reflection
D. Mamat

z9mvTHSVsEo

46zilzal
03-08-2010, 12:04 PM
one of the worst movies I have ever had to suffer through.

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2010, 10:19 PM
one of the worst movies I have ever had to suffer through.Figures...:lol:

I know you put a lot of stock into "professional opinions" so feast on these:

Reviews were highly positive. The film currently has a rating of 98% on Rotten Tomatoes (/wiki/Rotten_Tomatoes) and a metascore of 80 on Metacritic (/wiki/Metacritic). Owen Gleiberman (/wiki/Owen_Gleiberman) gave the film an "A" rating in his review for Entertainment Weekly (/wiki/Entertainment_Weekly) magazine, praising Lemmon's performance as "a revelation", and describing his character as "the weaselly soul of Glengarry Glen Ross-Willy Loman turned into a one-liner".[11] (#cite_note-Gleiberman.2C_Owen-10) Peter Travers (/wiki/Peter_Travers) gave the film his highest rating in Rolling Stone (/wiki/Rolling_Stone) magazine and wrote, "The pleasure of this unique film comes in watching superb actors dine on Mamet's pungent language like the feast it is".[12] (#cite_note-Travers.2C_Peter-11) Roger Ebert (/wiki/Roger_Ebert)'s review in the Chicago Sun-Times (/wiki/Chicago_Sun-Times) wrote, "Mamet's dialogue has a kind of logic, a cadence, that allows people to arrive in triumph at the ends of sentences we could not possibly have imagined. There is great energy in it. You can see the joy with which these actors get their teeth into these great lines, after living through movies in which flat dialogue serves only to advance the story".[13] (#cite_note-Ebert.2C_Roger-12)

Vincent Canby (/wiki/Vincent_Canby) praised, "the utterly demonic skill with which these foulmouthed characters carve one another up in futile attempts to stave off disaster. It's also because of the breathtaking wizardry with which Mr. Mamet and Mr. Foley have made a vivid, living film that preserves the claustrophobic nature of the original stage work", in his review for the New York Times (/wiki/New_York_Times).[14] (#cite_note-Canby.2C_Vincent-13) In his review for Time (/wiki/Time_(magazine)), Richard Corliss wrote, "A peerless ensemble of actors fills Glengarry Glen Ross with audible glares and shudders. The play was zippy black comedy about predators in twilight; the film is a photo-essay, shot in morgue closeup, about the difficulty most people have convincing themselves that what they do matters".[15] (#cite_note-Corliss.2C_Richard-14) Desson Howe's review in the Washington Post (/wiki/Washington_Post) criticized Foley's direction, writing that it "doesn't add much more than the street between. If his intention is to create a sense of claustrophobia, he also creates the (presumably) unwanted effect of a soundstage. There is no evidence of life outside the immediate world of the movie".[16] (#cite_note-Howe.2C_Desson-15) Jack Lemmon was voted Best Actor by the National Board of Review (/wiki/National_Board_of_Review).[16] (#cite_note-Howe.2C_Desson-15) Al Pacino was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor but did not win.[17] (#cite_note-Benson.2C_Jim-16) He was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role but failed to win; the same year he was nominated and won the Best Actor Oscar for Scent of a Woman (/wiki/Scent_of_a_Woman).[18] (#cite_note-Spillman.2C_Susan-17) Empire (/wiki/Empire_(magazine)) magazine voted the film the 470th greatest film in their "500 Greatest Movies of All Time" list.[19] (#cite_note-18)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glengarry_Glen_Ross_(film)