PDA

View Full Version : Lewiston, Maine, did it again!

Igeteven
03-07-2010, 12:32 PM
According to Roger Stein show, the bettor hit again at Santa Anita, they took the super high five, $200,000 dollars.

In the past, I have seen this person hit the pick 6, many times,( huge ones) at all the 3 major tracks here in S California.

Does anyone have any info on the Sports Book or who this person is?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Overlay
03-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Possibly the same guy who bet Clay (at that time) as a 13-10 underdog in his second fight with Liston in 1965 at Lewiston. ;)

Fingal
03-07-2010, 05:41 PM
This is from an old Bloodhorse article ( 2004 )

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/20803/california-wont-order-rgs-curb-on-lewiston-hub

California regulators decided Feb. 20 that they will hold off on considering a cutoff of wagering at post time from betting through the Lewiston, Maine simulcast hub, which processes wagers for rebating giant Racing and Gaming Services.

http://www.rgs.net/DesktopModules/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=30
Racing and Gaming Services St Kitts LLC was formed for the sole purpose of operating a pari-mutuel telephone wagering company. RGS processes pari-mutuel wagers exclusively and has never conducted any other business. RGS has at all times operated exclusively from the island of St. Kitts. With the exception of Christmas and hurricane days, RGS operates 7 days a week processing wagers for racetracks across the U.S. and Canada. RGS is a private company and its shares have never been publicly traded

Igeteven
03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
This is from an old Bloodhorse article ( 2004 )

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/20803/california-wont-order-rgs-curb-on-lewiston-hub

http://www.rgs.net/DesktopModules/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=30

If I played huge tickets, I would play too from California, I guess this is a off shore account and they give cash rebates, correct me if I am wrong on this.

Again, if I sign up from California, and I hit, it would show Lewiston, Me

twindouble
03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Committee member Roger Licht noted that RGS customers are getting rebates of up to 18%.

Anyone who didn't thinks these suckers aren't "skimming" the mutual's you should have second thoughts by reading that article. That 18% is beyond disgusting.

rwwupl
03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Committee member Roger Licht noted that RGS customers are getting rebates of up to 18%.

Anyone who didn't thinks these suckers aren't "skimming" the mutual's you should have second thoughts by reading that article. That 18% is beyond disgusting.

What has the regulators (CHRB) done in the name of fairness to protect the regular fan base and the horsemen?

Nothing!

The fan base pays 20% take and builds the carryover pot, so the tracks can offer a carryover to the "Whales" and the fan base can not compete with the large tickets, and the whales get a big rebate for a reward.

Wonder why the fan base has left?

Can this be repaired?

Yes, with the right people doing the right thing.

ronsmac
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
What's truly disgusting is that the takeout is high enough for Rgs to be able to give a player that kind of rebate.

Robert Goren
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
No body holds a gun to anyone's head and makes them play a pick 6. I never bet one any more. I knew someone who hit one for one for $162,000 at Askarben in the 80s. He used less than $50 to get it. Some thing about ages and brithdays. He gave good hunk of back trying hit another one. As a side note, he got audited by the IRS for the next 5 years. They could not understand why he couldn't hit one every year. His luck ran out when his wife who was divorcing him found his last 10 grand in the freezer.

twindouble
03-07-2010, 07:48 PM
No body holds a gun to anyone's head and makes them play a pick 6. I never bet one any more. I knew someone who hit one for one for $162,000 at Askarben in the 80s. He used less than $50 to get it. Some thing about ages and brithdays. He gave good hunk of back trying hit another one. As a side note, he got audited by the IRS for the next 5 years. They could not understand why he couldn't hit one every year. His luck ran out when his wife who was divorcing him found his last 10 grand in the freezer.

Robert; Some people shouldn't gamble or drink. I can tell many stories like that even worse. The picks are a good bet but no longer in S Cal, they are feeding the whales.

Igeteven
03-07-2010, 07:51 PM

That's Incredible

twindouble
03-07-2010, 09:34 PM
That's Incredible

Some here think racing can't do without the whales and they are the ones that keep racing solvent.

JustRalph
03-07-2010, 11:18 PM
His luck ran out when his wife who was divorcing him found his last 10 grand in the freezer.

Oh, he was Dem Congressman from Louisiana huh? Nice.........

Robert Goren
03-07-2010, 11:30 PM
No. The cold cash idea didn't work out very well for either of them, did it? The running joke was she went to get a steak and got a stake.:lol:

picojim
03-07-2010, 11:52 PM
todays pick 6 also

"There were three winning tickets in the Pick Six today. Two
bought at Lewiston, Maine and one from XPressbet."

http://www.santaanita.com/sites/default/files/live_racing/recap/2010-03/recap-2010-03-07.pdf

Igeteven
03-08-2010, 12:09 AM
todays pick 6 also

"There were three winning tickets in the Pick Six today. Two
bought at Lewiston, Maine and one from XPressbet."

http://www.santaanita.com/sites/default/files/live_racing/recap/2010-03/recap-2010-03-07.pdf

On top of that, 18 percent kick back on his bets,

As the late Jackie Gleason said, and away we go

toussaud
03-08-2010, 01:11 AM
I really do not comprehend you guys problem, seriously.

First of all, from a business standpoint.. name me one track outside of socal that can realistically week after week tote 6 and sometimes even 7 figure carryovers.

SoCal has a premium product. And if you want a premium product you have to pay premium prices. They have every right to charge what they charge to bet into the pick 6 pool. If you don't like the take out stop betting it. it's that simple.

the whining over the the silliest of things just gets old and it is no wonder no one takes half of what is said seriously. you expect them just give their best product away for free.

Regular takeout.. okay.. you got a point. But pick 6 takeout? yes.. becuase you know what... i would be fine with winning 540k but just 470k.. i don't know if i can live off that.

Stillriledup
03-08-2010, 05:30 AM
What has the regulators (CHRB) done in the name of fairness to protect the regular fan base and the horsemen?

Nothing!

The fan base pays 20% take and builds the carryover pot, so the tracks can offer a carryover to the "Whales" and the fan base can not compete with the large tickets, and the whales get a big rebate for a reward.

Wonder why the fan base has left?

Can this be repaired?

Yes, with the right people doing the right thing.

It would be interesting to see what high profile rebate shops pay for Santa Anita's signal and what ADW's like TVG and Twinspires pay. Would you like to go and do some research and get back to us?

I'd have to imagine that rebate shops pay the host track MORE than non rebated ADWs do, not to mention that their betting handle is much bigger. (which means that the horsemen make more money from a high profile rebate shop than they do from a non rebate shop)

As far as the 'fan base not being able to compete with the large pick 6 tickets' thats why they have 1 dollar pick 4s, pick 3's and show bets...those bets are for people with smaller bankrolls. If you can't afford a pick 6 bet you shouldn't hold it against those who CAN afford it. I'll never understand why bettors with small bankrolls cry and complain about 'not competing' in those pools.

No one says a BOO when a large whale sinks 40 grand into the pick 6 and hits the pick 6 and gets back 500 bucks. Nobody seems to have a problem when that happens. Why is that?

king moonraiser
03-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Is that what they mean when people talk about "frozen assets"? :D

rwwupl
03-08-2010, 09:55 AM
It would be interesting to see what high profile rebate shops pay for Santa Anita's signal and what ADW's like TVG and Twinspires pay. Would you like to go and do some research and get back to us?

I'd have to imagine that rebate shops pay the host track MORE than non rebated ADWs do, not to mention that their betting handle is much bigger. (which means that the horsemen make more money from a high profile rebate shop than they do from a non rebate shop)

As far as the 'fan base not being able to compete with the large pick 6 tickets' thats why they have 1 dollar pick 4s, pick 3's and show bets...those bets are for people with smaller bankrolls. If you can't afford a pick 6 bet you shouldn't hold it against those who CAN afford it. I'll never understand why bettors with small bankrolls cry and complain about 'not competing' in those pools.

No one says a BOO when a large whale sinks 40 grand into the pick 6 and hits the pick 6 and gets back 500 bucks. Nobody seems to have a problem when that happens. Why is that?

Stillriledup...(and me too)

I have reflected on what the lead article has said. Some people will not agree, and give no contrary facts but ask that others do research and "Get back to us" as if scolded by the teacher for a false report.

If you "imagine" some rebate shops pay more than others and that would enhance what you are saying,do your own research, and then say what you know, not what you imagine.

If you think that catering to one category of customers at the expense of another category of customers is your idea of good business or fairness,so be it... but that is not my idea, and I do not apologize for what I believe.

This perceived unfairness (IMO) to horse racings fan base is a direct reason why the loyal fan base is no longer loyal and is growing smaller. The reason why the pick six remains at $2,is so when the carryover reaches a tipping point,it will attract a group of deep pocket investors(Not horse players) that play large tickets to cover nearly all selections,can I say Lewiston ,Maine ... and this investment has a much higher degree of success than the lottery, because the amount of numbers required is limited. The regular fan, who lost and built the pot, can not compete with the large tickets because of the high cost of multiple tickets at two dollars... this favors the pick 6 predators who only play the horses when their wallet is king and not their skill as handicappers.

When handicapping is not important in the gambling aspect of horse racing, horse racing is no longer relevant.

There has been much wrote about how the tracks encourage carryovers(legal) and this violates their position as facilitator or honest broker because as stakeholder they must not have an interest in "who wins",and if you do not think the the track is not rooting for longshots,and encouraging them in the pick6 sequence, you are a dreamer.

Did your parents ever tell you that never play a game that the house has an interest in who wins?

Anything that influences a different winner in the p-6 sequence, influences the p-3,p-4,D.D.,W.P.Show, so there is interest in the track being neutral.

This is not about bettors with small bankrolls crying about anything but FAIRNESS and equality of competition... and I assure you that I have hit for more pick 6 top prizes than most anyone you have heard of , and all though I am not a "Whale" I am a "Platinum" member of YouBet in the U.S.... even in retirement.

If you think we are supposed to feel bad when some idiot sinks 40 grand in the pick 6 trying to buy the pot with little handicapping skill and gets $500 bucks... think again... maybe he would not have to spend so much if he knew something about the game, like handicapping.

Of course, the tracks love this action because they take off the top of every dollar, but I think this insults the regular fan base. The carryover is just a patch for a game that has failed its fan base and is further its demise.

rwwupl

startngate
03-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I'd have to imagine that rebate shops pay the host track MORE than non rebated ADWs do, not to mention that their betting handle is much bigger. (which means that the horsemen make more money from a high profile rebate shop than they do from a non rebate shop)Actually no, you have it backwards. The 'regular' ADW's pay a much higher host fee than the large rebate shops, which is why it's nearly impossible to get much of a rebate or player rewards program benefit from them. For those smaller ADW's that are rebating, like PTC and Horseplayerbet, the rebates are much lower than they are through RGS and Elite for this reason.

As for carryovers, the tracks absolutely will put the toughest races to handicap into the pick 6, and they would be crazy not to. They don't want the bet to be easy to hit because the carryovers do draw more betting. They also do the opposite on the mandatory payout days so there would potentially be more winners. It's not a matter of caring who wins per se, it's just about drumming up interest in the pool and the track.

And for the conspiracy theorists out there, tracks also tend to want to make the first half of the daily double the easiest betting race so that more people will be alive in the second. Was more of an issue in the old days with fewer exotics and 'rolling' bets in the mix, but still goes on today. Bottom line is the tracks will do whatever works to maximize handle any way they can ... with the exception of course of lowering takeout ....

Igeteven
03-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Actually no, you have it backwards. The 'regular' ADW's pay a much higher host fee than the large rebate shops, which is why it's nearly impossible to get much of a rebate or player rewards program benefit from them. For those smaller ADW's that are rebating, like PTC and Horseplayerbet, the rebates are much lower than they are through RGS and Elite for this reason.

As for carryovers, the tracks absolutely will put the toughest races to handicap into the pick 6, and they would be crazy not to. They don't want the bet to be easy to hit because the carryovers do draw more betting. They also do the opposite on the mandatory payout days so there would potentially be more winners. It's not a matter of caring who wins per se, it's just about drumming up interest in the pool and the track.

And for the conspiracy theorists out there, tracks also tend to want to make the first half of the daily double the easiest betting race so that more people will be alive in the second. Was more of an issue in the old days with fewer exotics and 'rolling' bets in the mix, but still goes on today. Bottom line is the tracks will do whatever works to maximize handle any way they can ... with the exception of course of lowering takeout ....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

rwwupl
03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Actually no, you have it backwards. The 'regular' ADW's pay a much higher host fee than the large rebate shops, which is why it's nearly impossible to get much of a rebate or player rewards program benefit from them. For those smaller ADW's that are rebating, like PTC and Horseplayerbet, the rebates are much lower than they are through RGS and Elite for this reason.

It should be noted that if you live in California,What is a rebate,a T-Shirt?

The issue is fairness and equal treatment of all horse players. :)

twindouble
03-08-2010, 01:13 PM

I have reflected on what the lead article has said. Some people will not agree, and give no contrary facts but ask that others do research and "Get back to us" as if scolded by the teacher for a false report.

If you "imagine" some rebate shops pay more than others and that would enhance what you are saying,do your own research, and then say what you know, not what you imagine.

If you think that catering to one category of customers at the expense of another category of customers is your idea of good business or fairness,so be it... but that is not my idea, and I do not apologize for what I believe.

This perceived unfairness (IMO) to horse racings fan base is a direct reason why the loyal fan base is no longer loyal and is growing smaller. The reason why the pick six remains at $2,is so when the carryover reaches a tipping point,it will attract a group of deep pocket investors(Not horse players) that play large tickets to cover nearly all selections,can I say Lewiston ,Maine ... and this investment has a much higher degree of success than the lottery, because the amount of numbers required is limited. The regular fan, who lost and built the pot, can not compete with the large tickets because of the high cost of multiple tickets at two dollars... this favors the pick 6 predators who only play the horses when their wallet is king and not their skill as handicappers.

When handicapping is not important in the gambling aspect of horse racing, horse racing is no longer relevant.

There has been much wrote about how the tracks encourage carryovers(legal) and this violates their position as facilitator or honest broker because as stakeholder they must not have an interest in "who wins",and if you do not think the the track is not rooting for longshots,and encouraging them in the pick6 sequence, you are a dreamer.

Did your parents ever tell you that never play a game that the house has an interest in who wins?

Anything that influences a different winner in the p-6 sequence, influences the p-3,p-4,D.D.,W.P.Show, so there is interest in the track being neutral.

This is not about bettors with small bankrolls crying about anything but FAIRNESS and equality of competition... and I assure you that I have hit for more pick 6 top prizes than most anyone you have heard of , and all though I am not a "Whale" I am a "Platinum" member of YouBet in the U.S.... even in retirement.

If you think we are supposed to feel bad when some idiot sinks 40 grand in the pick 6 trying to buy the pot with little handicapping skill and gets $500 bucks... think again... maybe he would not have to spend so much if he knew something about the game, like handicapping.

Of course, the tracks love this action because they take off the top of every dollar, but I think this insults the regular fan base. The carryover is just a patch for a game that has failed its fan base and is further its demise.

rwwupl

I have a different take on those small pick 6 payoffs, anyone with experience can conclude the conditions on those days point to small payoffs so I doubt very much the whales are putting in 40 grand on those days. If they do get in it's peanuts compared to a huge weekend carryovers.

Robert Goren
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Do they pay state income tax on those winnings in CA or ME? Just wondering.

startngate
03-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Do they pay state income tax on those winnings in CA or ME? Just wondering.Probably neither ... it would fall under where the customer lives.

Robert Goren
03-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I believe that some places charge on where it is made, but I could be wrong.

Stillriledup
03-08-2010, 05:43 PM

rwwupl

What do whales have to do with the erosion of the loyal fan base? That's the track's problem, not the whale or rebate shops problems.

As far as their 'wallet being king' how do you think those rebate players got to be whales? Everyone starts out as a 2 dollar bettor with no rebate. I would have to imagine most whales have been handicapping horses for the better of 20 or 30 years, which means that they started in this game when there was no rebate and no rebate shop. They started out just like you and me, as a 2 dollar bettor and grew their bankroll thru spectacular handicapping and betting.

I don't like this notion that all these whales somehow were 'handed' hundreds of thousands of dollars to start out betting. All these guys were, at one point, just like any other Joe Customer who went to the tracks live, as a kid, with 20 bucks in their pocket hoping to turn it into 40.

Handicapping is paramount no matter how high your rebate is or how big your bankroll is. If you gave a person who was a good (but not elite) horseplayer a 200k stake (for example) that person would be broke before you knew it. You have to be great to survive regardless of bankroll size.

As far as what rebate shops pay vs what regular ADW's pay isn't as important as it is to acknowledge that the major rebate shops contribute a crap load of money to the tracks and that money goes to horsemen and purses. There seems to be this misinformation out there that rebate shops really don't contribute anything to the health of the game when in reality, they contribute their fair share just like anyone else.

As far as the track rooting for longshots, i actually like that. I'm secretly hoping that they are whispering to certain trainers 'dont drug your 2-5 shot today, we could use a carryover, we'll owe you one' and that favorite flops. I love that because it might be a race where i box 8 horses in the tri and hit a big one.

johnhannibalsmith
03-08-2010, 05:56 PM
... There seems to be this misinformation out there...

...I'm secretly hoping that they are whispering to certain trainers 'dont drug your 2-5 shot today, we could use a carryover, we'll owe you one' and that favorite flops. I love that because it might be a race where i box 8 horses in the tri and hit a big one.

Thank you for setting the record straight on this "misinformation out there".

Stillriledup
03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Thank you for setting the record straight on this "misinformation out there".

The misinformation comment was that i feel that rebate shops are the whipping boys for the 'average fan' who's just jealous they don't get a rebate also. Instead of jealousy, they ought to figure out how to turn their small stake into a large stake. I'm quite sure that if you have a 500k bankroll and want to bet a few million a year, you can find someone who will take your action and give you a nice kickback. That's all i was saying.

Btw, you're welcome.

Igeteven
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Do they pay state income tax on those winnings in CA or ME? Just wondering.

In California, everything is TAX, except food at the grocery market

even if you use your bathroom, you are taxed.

The Paddock Room
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
In California, everything is TAX, except food at the grocery market

even if you use your bathroom, you are taxed.

I believe you, on this! :cool: :cool: :cool:

twindouble
03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
What do whales have to do with the erosion of the loyal fan base? That's the track's problem, not the whale or rebate shops problems.

As far as their 'wallet being king' how do you think those rebate players got to be whales? Everyone starts out as a 2 dollar bettor with no rebate. I would have to imagine most whales have been handicapping horses for the better of 20 or 30 years, which means that they started in this game when there was no rebate and no rebate shop. They started out just like you and me, as a 2 dollar bettor and grew their bankroll thru spectacular handicapping and betting.

I don't like this notion that all these whales somehow were 'handed' hundreds of thousands of dollars to start out betting. All these guys were, at one point, just like any other Joe Customer who went to the tracks live, as a kid, with 20 bucks in their pocket hoping to turn it into 40.

Handicapping is paramount no matter how high your rebate is or how big your bankroll is. If you gave a person who was a good (but not elite) horseplayer a 200k stake (for example) that person would be broke before you knew it. You have to be great to survive regardless of bankroll size.

As far as what rebate shops pay vs what regular ADW's pay isn't as important as it is to acknowledge that the major rebate shops contribute a crap load of money to the tracks and that money goes to horsemen and purses. There seems to be this misinformation out there that rebate shops really don't contribute anything to the health of the game when in reality, they contribute their fair share just like anyone else.

As far as the track rooting for longshots, i actually like that. I'm secretly hoping that they are whispering to certain trainers 'dont drug your 2-5 shot today, we could use a carryover, we'll owe you one' and that favorite flops. I love that because it might be a race where i box 8 horses in the tri and hit a big one.

Do you really think we are foolish enough to think the whales started out as $2.00 players. Makes me laugh, I know what it takes to win at this game and it sure as hell isn't the two or one dollar player.

I have over the years handicapped many more races than most here and I know lousy conditions when I see them, otherwise I would have bet every race and lost my shirt. So your argument on the carryovers don't wash with me.

Stillriledup
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Do you really think we are foolish enough to think the whales started out as $2.00 players. Makes me laugh, I know what it takes to win at this game and it sure as hell isn't the two or one dollar player.

I have over the years handicapped many more races than most here and I know lousy conditions when I see them, otherwise I would have bet every race and lost my shirt. So your argument on the carryovers don't wash with me.

Sorry i couldn't make you a believer, i'll try harder next time. ;)

appistappis
03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I use to live in st kitts....I bet everything is on the up and up there. :cool:

cwwash
03-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I think with the Pick six scandal there has been proof that people have access to these pools after they close. No way the same person hits the pick six so many times. This is bad for us the players. Do other members think that people have access to the pools after or in the middle of a race running?

Stillriledup
03-09-2010, 03:17 AM
I think with the Pick six scandal there has been proof that people have access to these pools after they close. No way the same person hits the pick six so many times. This is bad for us the players. Do other members think that people have access to the pools after or in the middle of a race running?

This has absolutely nothing to do with rebate shops or offshore places. The pick 6 scandal was perpetrated by a United states based employee working for a united states based non rebate company. I have no idea why people keep thinking that rebate shops and offshore automatically mean that these are the places where shenanigans happen.

If anything, the offshore places are more strict with their protocol, because they know they're usually under more scrutiny. If any rebate shop was keeping their pools open (if that's even possible) they would have been caught long ago and outed.

Robert Goren
03-09-2010, 09:53 AM
I think with the Pick six scandal there has been proof that people have access to these pools after they close. No way the same person hits the pick six so many times. This is bad for us the players. Do other members think that people have access to the pools after or in the middle of a race running? The first corollary of the old saying "where there is a will, there is a way" is "where there is a lot of money, there is a will.";)

lamboguy
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM

did you ever buy up twin double tickets in the dog tracks in new england?

twindouble
03-09-2010, 01:11 PM
did you ever buy up twin double tickets in the dog tracks in new england?

Not at the dog tracks, many at Green Mt Park in Vermont. As a matter of fact many players were more than willing to except the parlay plus. It was an excepted practice and the tracks knew what we were doing. Also at other Mass tracks, Gansette and Lincoln Downs. Gansette and LD latter come up with the optional twindouble, you could cash or run. I never cashed. Why do you ask?

startngate
03-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Why do you ask?
Oh, I don't know, your username perhaps .... :lol:

Stillriledup
03-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Maybe he's twindouble because when he checks into hotels with his wife they get seperate beds? Either that, or he's a huge Joe Mauer fan! :lol:

twindouble
03-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Clue me in on the joke; I was reffering to buying exchange tickets from other players, maybe you never cashed the first half or are to young to know about the twindouble. It was the best form of wagering at the time and I'd like to see it come back for obvious reasons.

startngate
03-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Clue me in on the joke; I was reffering to buying exchange tickets from other players, maybe you never cashed the first half or are to young to know about the twindouble. It was the best form of wagering at the time and I'd like to see it come back for obvious reasons.Well, I was around when you had to go to seperate windows to buy tickets for each type of bet and go to yet another window to cash, so I've probably been around this game longer than many of the people on the board. And yes, I knew what you were talking about.

As for the 'joke' ... I was just assuming that lamboguy asked the question because of your forum name, and thought it was amusing that you wondered why he would have asked that question ... no offense intended.

twindouble
03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Well, I was around when you had to go to seperate windows to buy tickets for each type of bet and go to yet another window to cash, so I've probably been around this game longer than many of the people on the board. And yes, I knew what you were talking about.

As for the 'joke' ... I was just assuming that lamboguy asked the question because of your forum name, and thought it was amusing that you wondered why he would have asked that question ... no offense intended.

No problem, now that I looked back, I actually thought he wanted to know if I bought exchange tickets. I goofed.

lamboguy
03-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Not at the dog tracks, many at Green Mt Park in Vermont. As a matter of fact many players were more than willing to except the parlay plus. It was an excepted practice and the tracks knew what we were doing. Also at other Mass tracks, Gansette and Lincoln Downs. Gansette and LD latter come up with the optional twindouble, you could cash or run. I never cashed. Why do you ask?
i used to buy them in RAYNHAM and TAUNTON. but i used to know how many tickets were live before i bought them.

going to green mountain was a great ride. in my youth i was doing doubleheaders almost every day.

one thing about the tracks in new england, you got a great education about racing from all ends. they were great days the times when the racetracks were full of people. hundreds of bookmakers were running around rockingham park pretty freely doing their business and no one really cared. lou smith used to leave the bell open and aditional 15 seconds to accomodate the break callers. back then the guys calling the break really didn't win. i don't think they knew anything about horses, they just wanted the horse in front all the time. when i called the break i always bet first horse out, often they would take back and run down the horses on the lead. when you called like that it didn't matter whether the track was all speed or dead, you wound up with a good horse and sometimes they paid huge. also i was gifted with a good eye and memory of the silks, i could spot an 11 horse from the outside that had orange silks on.

twindouble
03-10-2010, 09:47 AM
i used to buy them in RAYNHAM and TAUNTON. but i used to know how many tickets were live before i bought them.

Yes, that was a must, all you had to do was tip the teller and throw out a winner now and then. Knowing how many tickets put you in a position to capitalize on the consolation horses. That was a good feeling knowing prior to the last race going off you were a guaranteed winner. Believe it or not, that happened many times. Yes, treated the tellers well.