PDA

View Full Version : Bioenergetics and Racehorse Ratings

gm10
03-07-2010, 09:46 AM
This recently published book is the most unique title to have been published in decades. If you are like me and prefer the scientific approach to handicapping, you will love this book.

The concepts are well explained but this is written by an engineer. So you will need some mathematical skills to understand all of it (integration, optimization algorithms, etc). If you think Brohamer or Beyer's calculations are somewhat challenging, I wouldn't recommend this.

I picked up a copy at the High Stakes bookshop in London, but I'm sure they'll ship it to you as well. The man in the bookshop said that they were continuously having to re-order, so there might be a delay.

"It describes a scientific study of competitive running and develops a mathematical model which balances the energy supply from both anaerobic and aerobic sources with the energy required to accelerate the body, sustain running, and overcome air resistance.

When applied to horse racing it allows the relationships between distance, time, weight carried, going, and other factors, to be evaluated. The model is applied to racing on turf in Britain, but it is easily adapted to racing on other surfaces and tracks.

The result of the model is a Power Equation, which can be used to assess performance in a race in terms of a power rating. Two methods of assessing performance are examined in detail, based on race time, or on collateral form.. Examples are given of the calculation of time ratings (speed ratings) and form ratings.

This book is not about "how to pick winners" or racing "systems". It is about the link between equine exercise physiology and racehorse ratings. A basic under-standing of mathematics is required to follow the development of the model.

The uses of racehorse ratings are only briefly discussed, at the end of the book. However, because racing and betting are inextricably linked, a short cautionary note on betting is also included."

http://www.highstakes.co.uk/shop/product.php/12888/0/

DJofSD
03-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Wow! This peaks my interest. Thanks for posting!

I see it has an ISBN number assigned which, I would assume, means it is from a legitimate publising firm and not self published. However, a couple of quick seaches on the Barnes and Noble web site (my preferred source) does not result in any hits.

Robert Goren
03-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Do you ever get the feeling that some people just make this stuff up? Not you GM10, but the book's author.

gm10
03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I was skeptical too, which is why I actually went to the bookshop to see the book and browse through it, before buying it. But turns out there is a starbucks around the corner from the shop and the book is the real deal - so it was a nice trip all in all. I'll post a few scanned pages.

gm10
03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
a few scanned pages

DJofSD
03-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks, gm.

Oh, my, nonlinear diffy-Q, this should be fun.

Tom
03-07-2010, 12:45 PM
$40 at Amazon...I'll give him 20 for the formula and skip the stories. :cool:

mwilding1981
03-07-2010, 02:18 PM
That looks great, I shall head over to High Stakes this week and take a look :)