PDA

View Full Version : More IEAH vs. Lanzman - it's a good one...

Saratoga_Mike
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/sports/05racing.html?scp=1&sq=ieah&st=cse

Excerpt:

Iavarone’s comments were similarly scathing. In a phone interview also conducted Wednesday, he called Lanzman “a filthy animal” and said Lanzman would “sell his soul for a dime.”

Relwob Owner
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/sports/05racing.html?scp=1&sq=ieah&st=cse

Excerpt:

Iavarone’s comments were similarly scathing. In a phone interview also conducted Wednesday, he called Lanzman “a filthy animal” and said Lanzman would “sell his soul for a dime.”

Some would argue that there is a pot and a kettle in this argument.....

Stillriledup
03-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Filthy Animal? Really?

I think that racing is a very small 'community' and that someone who's a filthy animal is universally filthy. Catch what i'm saying?

Do people all across the racing industry think Lanzman is a FA? I've never heard this about him.

Relwob Owner
03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Filthy Animal? Really?

I think that racing is a very small 'community' and that someone who's a filthy animal is universally filthy. Catch what i'm saying?

Do people all across the racing industry think Lanzman is a FA? I've never heard this about him.

I havent heard anything bad....one difference I believe is that he puts up his own money for his horses, while Iavarone puts up others for some of all of his endeavours.....

Saratoga_Mike
03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Filthy Animal? Really?

I don't know, but these two sure do provide a great deal of comedy.

Stillriledup
03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I havent heard anything bad....one difference I believe is that he puts up his own money for his horses, while Iavarone puts up others for some of all of his endeavours.....

usually if someone is really and truly a 'slimeball' there's more than one person who's saying that about him.

Just saying.

Relwob Owner
03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
usually if someone is really and truly a 'slimeball' there's more than one person who's saying that about him.

Just saying.

I totally agree.....there appear to have been more than one times where people have said things about IEAH so your theory could possibly hold true there....I, too, believe that where there is smoke...

Saratoga_Mike
03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Can anyone imagine Moss or Jackson calling another owner a "flithy animal?" I mean it cracks me up, but what the heck was he thinking?

Relwob Owner
03-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Can anyone imagine Moss or Jackson calling another owner a "flithy animal?" I mean it cracks me up, but what the heck was he thinking?

You could ask this question for most of the business decisions Iavarone has made as well....

Stillriledup
03-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Racing ought to have a steel cage match with Lanzman and Iavarone on BC day and charge 100 dollars admission and 50 bucks on PPV.

Saratoga_Mike
03-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Racing ought to have a steel cage match with Lanzman and Iavarone on BC day and charge 100 dollars admission and 50 bucks on PPV.

You're a marketing genius! But I'd pay $500 to see it.

johnhannibalsmith
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Throw Paragallo and Gill in there too and I'll buy.

Robert Fischer
03-06-2010, 09:57 PM
too much gossip

Relwob Owner
03-06-2010, 10:06 PM
too much gossip

Gossip seems to me to be talking about rumors and such....how is this gossip?

1. Iavarone called Lanzman a "filthy animal"-FACT
2. Lanzman named a horse after Iavarone/IEAH, clearly pointing them out to be felons-FACT
3. Iavarone has had allegations made against him in many of his dealings-FACT

Where is the gossip?

Mineshaft
03-06-2010, 10:13 PM
he named a horse after Ivarone that is classic.

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2010, 11:58 PM
2. Lanzman named a horse after Iavarone/IEAH, clearly pointing them out to be felons-FACTHere, you are wrong. Not fact. Not admitted to by Lanzman.

Dahoss9698
03-07-2010, 01:01 AM
As amusing as it all is....and it is very amusing. It's still an ugly situation, that makes the sport look worse. I don't think either guy is one I'd like to spend any time around. The sport would be better off if they both shut up and handled whatever problems they have with each other and get it over with.

Stillriledup
03-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Here, you are wrong. Not fact. Not admitted to by Lanzman.

I had something like this typed out, but i didn't know how to word it. The fact is that Lanzman has never named a horse after/for/because of IEAH, good call.

Relwob Owner
03-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Here, you are wrong. Not fact. Not admitted to by Lanzman.

I guess you are right....my mistake....but I think we can all infer....

Relwob Owner
03-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I had something like this typed out, but i didn't know how to word it. The fact is that Lanzman has never named a horse after/for/because of IEAH, good call.

Read the article......But it is likely that the name refers to International Equine Acquisitions Holdings, to which Lanzman sold a half-interest in the Gotham Stakes and Wood Memorial winner I Want Revenge last year. Dontsellmetofelons is a half brother of I Want Revenge.

look at the name of the horse, analyze the timing and use common sense to figure it out.....it is not a fact but you can reasonably draw a conclusion given the clues.

GlenninOhio
03-07-2010, 07:58 AM

If I can take the liberty of a brief excerpt below, if you believe in the "If it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck" test, this is pretty deafening, quack-wise.

"Dontsellmetofelons is owned by David Lanzman, who would not comment on why he gave the horse that name. But it is likely that the name refers to International Equine Acquisitions Holdings, to which Lanzman sold a half-interest in the Gotham Stakes and Wood Memorial winner I Want Revenge last year. Dontsellmetofelons is a half brother of I Want Revenge."

Relwob Owner
03-07-2010, 08:03 AM
As amusing as it all is....and it is very amusing. It's still an ugly situation, that makes the sport look worse. I don't think either guy is one I'd like to spend any time around. The sport would be better off if they both shut up and handled whatever problems they have with each other and get it over with.

Good point....I think the general coverage of the sport is something that can be improved as well....like most media these days, seems like the stories of strife and owners getting into trouble get most of the ink.......there are plenty of owners who dont get into trouble and probably have positive stories to be told about them and they get little attention.....

Stillriledup
03-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Read the article......But it is likely that the name refers to International Equine Acquisitions Holdings, to which Lanzman sold a half-interest in the Gotham Stakes and Wood Memorial winner I Want Revenge last year. Dontsellmetofelons is a half brother of I Want Revenge.

look at the name of the horse, analyze the timing and use common sense to figure it out.....it is not a fact but you can reasonably draw a conclusion given the clues.

Maybe he named the horse dontsellmetomelons, but the jockey club made a typo.

onefast99
03-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I just saw Mike at GP on Thursday he didn't seem to be affected by any of this at the time.

Saratoga_Mike
03-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Maybe he named the horse dontsellmetomelons, but the jockey club made a typo.

This is the most logical explanation. :)

Saratoga_Mike
03-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I just saw Mike at GP on Thursday he didn't seem to be affected by any of this at the time.

I'm glad to hear this. I thought he might have to go back into investment banking. Wait, that past job was all a fantasy. He never was an investment banker. Why did the media previously report he was an investment banker prior to starting IEAH? I'm confused. Who would have put that idea in their heads?

onefast99
03-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm glad to hear this. I thought he might have to go back into investment banking. Wait, that past job was all a fantasy. He never was an investment banker. Why did the media previously report he was an investment banker prior to starting IEAH? I'm confused. Who would have put that idea in their heads?
The man is enjoying life, hopefully the Castle has a solid foundation!

Saratoga_Mike
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm not sure how he pulled* it off, but I can't disagree with you!

*assembled investors for IEAH

Relwob Owner
03-07-2010, 10:17 AM

His bricks didnt build most of the castle so I dont think he will enjoy life too much less if they collapse.....at IEAH, I think there is a possibility the collapse is already happening, based on the success(or lack thereof) they have had in the last few years

Saratoga_Mike
03-07-2010, 10:26 AM
His bricks didnt build most of the castle so I dont think he will enjoy life too much less if they collapse.....at IEAH, I think there is a possibility the collapse is already happening, based on the success(or lack thereof) they have had in the last few years

At one point, IEAH was going to build a world-class equine clinic close to Belmont Park. Did that ever happen? I haven't heard anything more about it. IEAH had no obligation to make such a grand gesture, but it certainly was good press when it was announced. Oh, I'm sure he had it built. Could someone post some pictures? I'd like to see what they had built. Thanks in advance.

onefast99
03-07-2010, 10:30 AM
There will always be someone interested in investing with IEAH as long as they are in the limelight.

Saratoga_Mike
03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
There will always be someone interested in investing with IEAH as long as they are in the limelight.

Sort of like the old the saying, "there's no such thing as bad press." In my OPINION, Mr. Iavorone seems to live by that motto. As for his fight with Mr. Lanzman, Iavarone's "filthy animal" comment definitely scores a lot of points. Is he as funny in person? Maybe he could do a stand-up routine. Recall the Seinfeld episode where the female comedian develops an entire routine around criticizing Jerry? Iavorone could do the same thing with Lanzman.

onefast99
03-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Sort of like the old the saying, "there's no such thing as bad press." In my OPINION, Mr. Iavorone seems to live by that motto. As for his fight with Mr. Lanzman, Iavarone's "filthy animal" comment definitely scores a lot of points. Is he as funny in person? Maybe he could do a stand-up routine. Recall the Seinfeld episode where the female comedian develops an entire routine around criticizing Jerry? Iavorone could do the same thing with Lanzman.
He was very pleasant to talk with, he was getting picked up at the GP valet only spoke to him for 5 minutes mostly about the future of NY racing and what was going on in NJ.

PhantomOnTour
03-07-2010, 11:04 AM
At one point, IEAH was going to build a world-class equine clinic close to Belmont Park. Did that ever happen? I haven't heard anything more about it. IEAH had no obligation to make such a grand gesture, but it certainly was good press when it was announced. Oh, I'm sure he had it built. Could someone post some pictures? I'd like to see what they had built. Thanks in advance.
Thanks for bringing this up Mike. Folks forget what a great endowment (is that the right word?) this clinic is...and I think it is still being finished. Say whatcha want about these folks, but the clinic is a great thing, period.

Relwob Owner
03-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Yep, I agree....what is unfortunate from a business perspective is that in order to stay in the limelight, they have to make purchases and business decisions that "make a splash" that dont always make good business sense.

Doing things with other people's money is a dicey proposition.....

PaceAdvantage
03-07-2010, 06:58 PM
The hospital has been up and running since May 2009. Where have you guys been?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50965/ruffian-medical-center-opens-near-belmont

PaceAdvantage
03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
If I can take the liberty of a brief excerpt below, if you believe in the "If it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck" test, this is pretty deafening, quack-wise.

"Dontsellmetofelons is owned by David Lanzman, who would not comment on why he gave the horse that name. But it is likely that the name refers to International Equine Acquisitions Holdings, to which Lanzman sold a half-interest in the Gotham Stakes and Wood Memorial winner I Want Revenge last year. Dontsellmetofelons is a half brother of I Want Revenge."Yeah, we all get what the probable reason for the name is...however, that doesn't change the fact that Relwob Owner claimed the reason as fact, when it has never been reported as such...only speculated...

Relwob Owner
03-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah, we all get what the probable reason for the name is...however, that doesn't change the fact that Relwob Owner claimed the reason as fact, when it has never been reported as such...only speculated...

Yes, claiming as fact was a definite error on my part and I apologize....I know correcting things like that is a thankless, annoying task....

Fager Fan
03-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for bringing this up Mike. Folks forget what a great endowment (is that the right word?) this clinic is...and I think it is still being finished. Say whatcha want about these folks, but the clinic is a great thing, period.

I've not understood those who give IEAH credit for this as if it was a philanthropic venture. They built this clinic as a money-making venture. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it should be characterized as something it's not.

Relwob Owner
03-10-2010, 02:05 PM

Here, I disagree a bit....with money generally tighter and IEAH's questionable results since Big Brown (both horse wise and operation/stability wise), I think they will have a much harder time getting people to invest. The press from any lawsuit isnt good and I think Lanzman knows that and that is one reason he has been so outspoken....he knows their model and knows that previous lawsuits and accusations will hurt IEAH moving forward....

GlenninOhio
03-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Here, I disagree a bit....with money generally tighter and IEAH's questionable results since Big Brown (both horse wise and operation/stability wise), I think they will have a much harder time getting people to invest. The press from any lawsuit isnt good and I think Lanzman knows that and that is one reason he has been so outspoken....he knows their model and knows that previous lawsuits and accusations will hurt IEAH moving forward....

Can someone please enlighten me on exactly what IEAH's "model" (as in "business model") actually is?

I know it can't be "Buy horses after they win high profile races and pay top dollar for them" because that model can't possibly work.

Or is this in fact their "model"?

Saratoga_Mike
03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
The hospital has been up and running since May 2009. Where have you guys been?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50965/ruffian-medical-center-opens-near-belmont

Thanks for the info! Hats off to IEAH for doing this.