PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Gotham Stakes..

only11
03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
In the 80's and 90's this race attracted the elite horses prepping for the Derby...

sandpit
03-05-2010, 08:21 PM
The 1992 version between Lure and Devil His Due was one of the greatest prep races of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6JT-__pG5U

tzipi
03-05-2010, 08:46 PM
The 1992 version between Lure and Devil His Due was one of the greatest prep races of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6JT-__pG5U

That really was a great race :ThmbUp:

SaratogaSteve
03-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Easy Goer's Gotham is a race for the ages I'll always remember...

the Bid
03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Back in the day the Gotham was alot later in the year and drew well. I remember the sequence of Swift, Bay Shore, Gotham, Wood in a 2 week pattern leading in to the KY Derby. When they stretched it to 3 weeks the Gotham was still only 6 weeks from the Derby. Now, in early March, it's a bit of a mess of inner track holdovers and recent maiden winners and the occassional shipper hoping for graded earnings and praying for decent weather.
Did anyone notice at this race is going for $250k tomorrow???? They can't run the Suburban but this motley bunch can run for a quarter million??

OTM Al
03-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Back in the day the Gotham was alot later in the year and drew well. I remember the sequence of Swift, Bay Shore, Gotham, Wood in a 2 week pattern leading in to the KY Derby. When they stretched it to 3 weeks the Gotham was still only 6 weeks from the Derby. Now, in early March, it's a bit of a mess of inner track holdovers and recent maiden winners and the occassional shipper hoping for graded earnings and praying for decent weather.
Did anyone notice at this race is going for $250k tomorrow???? They can't run the Suburban but this motley bunch can run for a quarter million??

This one was already scheduled some time ago so this is a poor comparison. Besides, the Suburban field of late hasn't been all that either.

MickJ26
03-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Leparoux, Prado, Bravo, Nakatani, all in to ride; about 50 degress and sunny. Oh, man, it feels like spring. I don't care if there's no world beaters (at least on paper) in the race.

razzle
03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
In the 80's and 90's this race attracted the elite horses prepping for the Derby...
Dutrow will introduce Batman's Elixir of Guano for the first try at the Gotham 2 turns around the inner cave. Eat your heart out Chubby Checker, this horse can twist. No contest.

PhantomOnTour
03-06-2010, 12:15 PM
This years Gotham is a terrific betting affair! Think I may step out with Yawanna Twist for Dutrow.

Every year when this race rolls around I always think of Smokin Mel.

PhantomOnTour
03-06-2010, 12:16 PM
You and I posting about Yawanna Twist at the same time??? An omen?

razzle
03-06-2010, 01:15 PM
You and I posting about Yawanna Twist at the same time??? An omen?
My Friend, it's Nacho every day coincidence, is it? I will be rooting for the 3 but I'm afraid it's another "pass" race brought to us courtesy of the Dutrow's. Good luck to you if you play it. If I thought the ML 5-1 had a chance of holding up, I would go for it.

WinterTriangle
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
IF the horses would just stay in the race.
I was hoping to get great odds on Castaneda (20-1 M/L)to win in Aq 3 today.

westover wildcat and confidence crisis scratched.

So my Castaneda 20-1 is down to 3-1 at 13 MTP.:bang:

46zilzal
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Big Red's and you will not see that type performance in a long while again.

WinterTriangle
03-06-2010, 02:00 PM

:jump: I got 6-1 on him, and he won! Wire to wire :jump: :jump:

Nice way to start my day!

razzle
03-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Nice call Winter Triangle! 6-1 ain't bad.

WinterTriangle
03-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks Razzle, in a chalky affair and a field of 4 horses, I was THRILLED to get 6-1

Tom
03-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Agree. NYRA has lost so much lately. A handful of good races every year, the rest.......worth missing.

The Gotham is a yawner and not even worth watching. The lead ponies of yesterday were more worthy of the purse money. A total waste of good money - this bunch is hardly worth being the feature on a Thursday card.

WinterTriangle
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
The Gotham is a yawner and not even worth watching.

I disagree. I have Awesome Act in my RTTR stable, I think he's a super horse.

the race ran 6-1-10 and 10-6-1 with the 3 in the mix, then the final was
4-2-8. I thought it was an exciting race!

$220 trifecta is very good value, seems like it was certainly worth playing the race?

Watcher
03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
o4HYdkAuCKA

redshift1
03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Considering AA arrived on Wednesday from Europe his win today was very impressive, albeit the competition was suspect, has a chance in the derby if he stay's sound.